Apple Watch Series 4 fall detection summons emergency services, saves elderly man

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    mac_128 said:
    That’s why my octogenarian mom now has one. Glad to know it works as advertised.

I wonder if emergency services arrived before family members, and if so, whether they broke into the house to respond? I’ve often wondered what would happen in such a situation where the Apple Watch is doing the calling, not an actual person.
    Maybe install a door key which can be unlocked by Apple Watch? 
  • Reply 22 of 29
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    mac_128 said:
    That’s why my octogenarian mom now has one. Glad to know it works as advertised.

I wonder if emergency services arrived before family members, and if so, whether they broke into the house to respond? I’ve often wondered what would happen in such a situation where the Apple Watch is doing the calling, not an actual person.
    If there is anyone in your life that is elderly I highly recommend that you buy them the watch (with Cell option).   My departed dad didn't like computers, cell phones, or first alerts.    he basically feel in his house getting up from a nap in his recliner.    Broke his hip and laid on the floor 18 hours till I had called the police to check on him (I live in a different state).    He survived and had a replacement, but was never the same afterward.    I think the 18 hour wait took a lot out of him and he passed on a few years later.    It's true but the "I've fallen and can't get up" commercial is very accurate.    I think a lot a elderly people will accept a watch more than other things because it doesn't make them look old.   I wish apple had this out 6 years ago.
    GeorgeBMacmac_128watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    k2kw said:
    mac_128 said:

If there is anyone in your life that is elderly I highly recommend that you buy them the watch (with Cell option).   My departed dad didn't like computers, cell phones, or first alerts.    he basically feel in his house getting up from a nap in his recliner.    Broke his hip and laid on the floor 18 hours till I had called the police to check on him (I live in a different state).    He survived and had a replacement, but was never the same afterward.    I think the 18 hour wait took a lot out of him and he passed on a few years later.    It's true but the "I've fallen and can't get up" commercial is very accurate.    I think a lot a elderly people will accept a watch more than other things because it doesn't make them look old.   I wish apple had this out 6 years ago.
    My experience as a nurse showed me that yours is a far too common story.  
    And, the standard "I've fallen and I can't get up" devices too often are not able to be used when most needed -- like when outside or in the shower.
    With the Apple Watch they can put it on in the morning and not take it off till they're in bed for the night.  Plus, if you have an iPhone (even an old one) signed in to their ID, you can see if they are up and moving -- or not -- via the Activity app.

It could help to prevent more stories like these.
    But, by the way:   Congratulations to you for paying such close attention to your parent and taking action when it was needed.   Good job!
    king editor the gratemac_128watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    dzemogdzemog Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Rayz2016 Not unusual at all to sleep with the watch on. While I wouldn't wear a "regular" watch to bed, I do wear my Apple watch. I'm 55, and even though I'm healthy as far as I know, I like that it monitors both low and high heartrates as well as ECG and will alert me. It seems I'd be aware of not feeling "right" if I'm conscious, but when I'm asleep? Also, as a woman who lives alone, I like that I can call 911 without my phone should I ever have a break-in or security issue.
    GeorgeBMacking editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    I turned this off after 2-4 x/day "alerts" while working in the orange grove, not falling just using hands. Am I now at increased risk for a "real"  but missed episode?
  • Reply 26 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    k2kw said:
    mac_128 said:

Yes, in fact, she can show it off and brag about it. It came along at the right time in her life as she would never have worn a dedicated fall detector.

Now I wish I could use her AIrPods to permanently amplify sound. She wears one all day for calls, but the phone is inside clothes and bags so doesn't really help amplify, and I can only imagine how quickly the battery would drain if that were happening the entire time you were wearing it. I hope the next gen improves on this feature, because she's too proud to admit she's losing her hearing.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Mr Østvang was even more lucky than Appleinsider reports. He was actually visiting with friends, staying overnight. He then went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, suffered a fall, hit his head and lost consciousness. His Apple watch triggered the emergency services call after one minute. Mr Østvang, being knocked out, didn't respond when the emergency service tried to talk to him on the phone. The police then called his home, where his wife answered. She told the police at which address, in another town, her husband was staying with friends. Police arrived at that house and woke up the other residents, and so Mr Østvang was found and brought to the hospital.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    ElCapitan said:
    Don't know that is saved me in any way, but it woke me up about a week ago from deep sleep with pulse of around 45 bpm spiking to 155 bpm when it woke me. That was the 120 bmp 10 minutes threshold that triggered. 

Of course it was over before anyone could come and take an EKG, and being in Europe, that is not active on the watch, so I could not obtain one myself. I hope that Apple will get it approved and activated here too soon. 
    Consider making an appointment with your doctor and tell them this - there is still plenty that can be reviewed without having an active episode.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 29
    ElCapitan said:
    Don't know that is saved me in any way, but it woke me up about a week ago from deep sleep with pulse of around 45 bpm spiking to 155 bpm when it woke me. That was the 120 bmp 10 minutes threshold that triggered. 

Of course it was over before anyone could come and take an EKG, and being in Europe, that is not active on the watch, so I could not obtain one myself. I hope that Apple will get it approved and activated here too soon. 
    Consider making an appointment with your doctor and tell them this - there is still plenty that can be reviewed without having an active episode.
    Thanks, but he and the hospital is both informed and consulted ;-)

watto_cobra