Everything new in iOS 12.2 beta 2: Animoji, icons, lockscreen tweaks

Posted:
in iOS
In beta two of iOS 12.2, Apple hasn't slowed down. There are a number of notable changes from the inaugural beta including new Animoji, updated animations, tweaked lockscreen, and more.

New iOS 12.2 Animoji
New iOS 12.2 Animoji

The most headlining feature of iOS 12.2 beta 2 is the quartet of new Animoji characters. Now users with a TrueDepth Camera System-equipped phone an record messages and strike poses with owl, shark, warthog, and giraffe.

There are also a few changes within Control Center, specifically the Music widget. The arced icon in the top right corner has been replaced by a responsive icon that changes depending on where content is being played. For instance, it could be either an AirPlay icon or a TV icon. When jumping into Music from Control Center there is also a new animation.

From the lockscreen, the date has now been replaced by the battery capacity -- a move that will certainly be controversial. We've also seen reports of some AT&T users seeing errant 5Ge connectivity designators in the status bar.

The second beta comes less than two weeks after the first beta of iOS 12.2. Check out what was new the first time around including News for Canada users and HomeKit TV support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Seriously? When a new Animoji tops the list of iOS improvements it’s a sign that there really aren’t any improvements to be had.

Why can’t you put the date and the battery capacity on the lock screen? There’s plenty of room. Of the two, the date is more useful since we already have a graphic indicator of battery status.

What I would really like to see is better bluetooth management. APple made the decision to force everyone to Bluetooth a few years ago. At least they could make it easier than Settings -> Bluetooth -> connection info -> disconnect if you want to disconnect your headphones. Yes, I know about the control screen, but that disconnects everything. Yes, I know the W1 chip makes it easier, but last I heard, that was only available in a handful of Apple/Beats headphones costing minimum $100. 

Or they could simply put the headphone jack back. I never had any doubt which device my headphones were connected to, and switching devices was easer than with the W1 chip. 
    dysamoriaMisterKitairnerdneo-techicoco3hmlongco
  • Reply 2 of 26
    dtoubdtoub Posts: 18member
    And in the same vein, it would be wonderful if when there are several networks in a building that have previously been used by that iPhone, the phone would default to the one with the strongest signal. I’m switching to a mesh network in my home all because I can be standing next to one router (Verizon) yet my iPhone or iPad will connect to the barely present network from way upstairs, and vice-versa. I’ve reported this multiple times, but sure, more Animoji...
    clegerdysamoriaMisterKitbeowulfschmidtairnerdneo-techicoco3edred
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Seriouslyyyyyyy??? Removing the date on the lock screen -One step forward on some things... three steps back on basic functionality. They took away our percentage readout in the status bar and now taking away our date on the lock screen. Come on Apple. Why can’t you display both? Or at least let us choose!
    dysamoriaairnerdnetmageicoco3
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Why couldn’t they just leave the date?!?
    dysamoriaairnerdnetmage
  • Reply 5 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    dtoub said:
    And in the same vein, it would be wonderful if when there are several networks in a building that have previously been used by that iPhone, the phone would default to the one with the strongest signal. I’m switching to a mesh network in my home all because I can be standing next to one router (Verizon) yet my iPhone or iPad will connect to the barely present network from way upstairs, and vice-versa. I’ve reported this multiple times, but sure, more Animoji...
    The technical problem with what you're suggesting is that there is always a bit of an interruption when a device disconnects from one network and connects to another, and some services require you to log in again if you switch IP addresses (which is what you would be doing here.)

A mesh network is exactly what you need. Fortunately, there are a bunch of good ones on the market. From your post, it sounds like you have ethernet/LAN jacks in other rooms of the house, so you can get a setup that allows ethernet backhaul and have great speed and connectivity all over the house.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    MplsP said:
    Seriously? When a new Animoji tops the list of iOS improvements it’s a sign that there really aren’t any improvements to be had.
    Yes, this is the final improvement ever to be added in iOS.
    netmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 26
    MplsP said:

Why can’t you put the date and the battery capacity on the lock screen? There’s plenty of room. Of the two, the date is more useful since we already have a graphic indicator of battery status.

What I would really like to see is better bluetooth management. APple made the decision to force everyone to Bluetooth a few years ago. At least they could make it easier than Settings -> Bluetooth -> connection info -> disconnect if you want to disconnect your headphones. Yes, I know about the control screen, but that disconnects everything. Yes, I know the W1 chip makes it easier, but last I heard, that was only available in a handful of Apple/Beats headphones costing minimum $100. 

Or they could simply put the headphone jack back. I never had any doubt which device my headphones were connected to, and switching devices was easer than with the W1 chip. 
    Apple didn’t force anyone to BT by removing the legacy analog headphone port. Most people use the free headphones in the box, which are wired. Additionally, they provided a free adapter for your favorite pair of wired headphones, which is like 9 bucks stand-alone. 

It’s not necessary to make it easier to disconnect a single piece of BT equipment, as this is not commonly needed. And with a W1 pair, you needn’t ever disconnect it even when switching devices. 

fastasleepnetmage
  • Reply 8 of 26
    I'm interested to see how the revised control centre music widget works. I find the current one can be a bit counter intuitive.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 26
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    I wonder what the point of removing the date and time was from the lock screen? One can always swipe down from the right corner on an iPhone X or later to see battery percentage so don't really see a need to have it right on the lock screen. Correct me if there is another reason I'm missing.
    dysamorianetmage
  • Reply 10 of 26
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    It’s a bug, right? It’s just the usual battery indicator that changes to the date but now the damn thing doesn’t change because of a bug. Right? It’ll be fixed. Right????

It’s annoying enough to have to wait for that but now the date is gone entirely? WTFF, Apple. BASIC FUNCTIONALITY continues to slip. 
    airnerdnetmagehmlongco
  • Reply 11 of 26
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Apple didn’t force anyone to BT by removing the legacy analog headphone port. Most people use the free headphones in the box, which are wired. Additionally, they provided a free adapter for your favorite pair of wired headphones, which is like 9 bucks stand-alone.
    Oh yeah? How do you use those wired headphones when you’re powering your device through the only connector?
    zoetmbMisterKitairnerd
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Number one on my list is performance. Some devices were saved by iOS 12 and a .2 update could very well start to bring back bloat and slowdowns. Staying on 12.1.3 until it’s real clear that .2 won’t brick fringe devices.
    airnerd
  • Reply 13 of 26
    LaraCroft836LaraCroft836 Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    MplsP said:
    you comment made me nod off
    airnerd
  • Reply 14 of 26
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    I think some of you guys have wandered over from Macrumors...
    netmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    MplsP said:
    Good, hopefully that’ll prevent you from making a second post here. 
    netmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 26
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    MplsP said:
    S/he doesn't need too... perfectly good point... only Kardashians and fashionistas would consider these actual improvements
    airnerd
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Except that they don't do that anymore.  Because those adapters are apparently now too expensive to include in the box with the $750+ phone.
    edited February 2019 airnerdMplsP
  • Reply 18 of 26
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    MplsP said:

It’s not necessary to make it easier to disconnect a single piece of BT equipment, as this is not commonly needed. And with a W1 pair, you needn’t ever disconnect it even when switching devices. 

You are 100% dead wrong about the bold.  There were absolutely ZERO adapters included with the Xr.  
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 19 of 26
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    That would be why the past tense "provided" - during the transition.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 20 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    aknabi said:
    MplsP said:
    S/he doesn't need too... perfectly good point... only Kardashians and fashionistas would consider these actual improvements
    Nonsense, of course. I’m looking forward to Control Center widget improvements. The suggestion that this point release is only providing animoji updates and nothing else is simply troll scat. 

pro tip — only angry men use the term “fashionistas” as a pejorative.
    fastasleep