Everything new in iOS 12.2 beta 2: Animoji, icons, lockscreen tweaks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Apple didn’t force anyone to BT by removing the legacy analog headphone port. Most people use the free headphones in the box, which are wired. Additionally, they provided a free adapter for your favorite pair of wired headphones, which is like 9 bucks stand-alone. 
    Except that they don't do that anymore.  Because those adapters are apparently now too expensive to include in the box with the $750+ phone.
    I imagine it’s less about expense and more about waste — since most people just use what’s in the box, most people don’t use the adapter. As an eco conscious manufacturer, it makes little sense to produce and include something people don’t us. Let the special snowflakes buy it for their use cases and save us all the added expense and waste.

See how that works?
    netmagefastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member

airnerd said:
    MplsP said:
    Seriously? When a new Animoji tops the list of iOS improvements it’s a sign that there really aren’t any improvements to be had.

Why can’t you put the date and the battery capacity on the lock screen? There’s plenty of room. Of the two, the date is more useful since we already have a graphic indicator of battery status.

What I would really like to see is better bluetooth management. APple made the decision to force everyone to Bluetooth a few years ago. At least they could make it easier than Settings -> Bluetooth -> connection info -> disconnect if you want to disconnect your headphones. Yes, I know about the control screen, but that disconnects everything. Yes, I know the W1 chip makes it easier, but last I heard, that was only available in a handful of Apple/Beats headphones costing minimum $100. 

Or they could simply put the headphone jack back. I never had any doubt which device my headphones were connected to, and switching devices was easer than with the W1 chip. 
    Apple didn’t force anyone to BT by removing the legacy analog headphone port. Most people use the free headphones in the box, which are wired. Additionally, they provided a free adapter for your favorite pair of wired headphones, which is like 9 bucks stand-alone. 

It’s not necessary to make it easier to disconnect a single piece of BT equipment, as this is not commonly needed. And with a W1 pair, you needn’t ever disconnect it even when switching devices. 
    You are 100% dead wrong about the bold.  There were absolutely ZERO adapters included with the Xr.  
    Read closer: the discussion is about when Apple removed the legacy analog headphone port, the point in time at which he claims people were “forced” (forced!) to bluetooth:

“APple made the decision to force everyone to Bluetooth a few years ago.”

...which happened with the 7, which did indeed include the adapter, which is why I said the didn’t “force” (force!) people at all when they did do, since they even supplied an adapter for those who didn’t use the freebies in the box as most people do. 

Mine’s still in the drawer. Want me to mail it to you?
    edited February 2019 netmagefastasleep
  • Reply 23 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    MplsP said:
    Seriously? When a new Animoji tops the list of iOS improvements it’s a sign that there really aren’t any improvements to be had.

Why can’t you put the date and the battery capacity on the lock screen? There’s plenty of room. Of the two, the date is more useful since we already have a graphic indicator of battery status.

What I would really like to see is better bluetooth management. APple made the decision to force everyone to Bluetooth a few years ago. At least they could make it easier than Settings -> Bluetooth -> connection info -> disconnect if you want to disconnect your headphones. Yes, I know about the control screen, but that disconnects everything. Yes, I know the W1 chip makes it easier, but last I heard, that was only available in a handful of Apple/Beats headphones costing minimum $100. 

Or they could simply put the headphone jack back. I never had any doubt which device my headphones were connected to, and switching devices was easer than with the W1 chip. 

It’s not necessary to make it easier to disconnect a single piece of BT equipment, as this is not commonly needed. And with a W1 pair, you needn’t ever disconnect it even when switching devices. 

If you’re willing to pay the extra $$$ for the W1 headphones, I’m happy to accept, otherwise I and other people I know routinely need to disconnect a single BT device. Perhaps you don’t need to, but that doesn’t make it a useless feature. 

As for the 3.5mm adaptor, my son wore out his, so he would love yours. Most people I know use theirs. Regardless of that fact, when they removed the headphone jack (and subsequently quit supplying the adaptor,) Apple’s open expectation was that people would use BT headphones. Pairing and unpairing BT headphones between different devices is a pain in the butt. To my knowledge, Apple has not made the W1 chip available to any outside vendors, meaning you are forced to deal with the pairing issue if you dont’ purchase Apple’s headphones.

I was recently on a long plane trip and wanted to use my iPhone to listen to some music while I slept. 10 minutes in, the BT headphones that I had charged before I left died. No problem - I can use the Apple headphones - except I can’t charge my phone while I do that. Well, I can use them with the plane’s entertainment system... nope. That uses the clearly obsolete 3.5mm jack. Where is Phill Schiller when you need him?
  • Reply 24 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member

aknabi said:
    MplsP said:
    Yes, this is the final improvement ever to be added in iOS.
    you comment made me nod off
    Good, hopefully that’ll prevent you from making a second post here. 
    S/he doesn't need too... perfectly good point... only Kardashians and fashionistas would consider these actual improvements
    Nonsense, of course. I’m looking forward to Control Center widget improvements. The suggestion that this point release is only providing animoji updates and nothing else is simply troll scat. 

pro tip — only angry men use the term “fashionistas” as a pejorative.
    From the article “The most headlining feature ... is the quartet of new Animoji characters.” The article also spent half it’s space on that feature. There was one sentence on the locscreen and a short, 4 sentence paragraph on changing the music widget icon and giving it a new animation. 

If you’re excited about the music widget icon, good for you, but calling it a significant (or even an actual) improvement is a stretch to say the least. I understand that this is a point release, but those features are barely worth a point.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Except that they don't do that anymore.  Because those adapters are apparently now too expensive to include in the box with the $750+ phone.
    I imagine it’s less about expense and more about waste — since most people just use what’s in the box, most people don’t use the adapter. As an eco conscious manufacturer, it makes little sense to produce and include something people don’t us. Let the special snowflakes buy it for their use cases and save us all the added expense and waste.

See how that works?
    Shouldn't all that savings be reflected in the price then?  My daughter's new 7 cost the same as my wife's, and one of them had the adapter, and the other didn't.

See how that works?
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 26 of 26
    On my iPad Air 2, it starts out showing the battery, then switches to the date in 12.2b2, just as it always has. So this probably is a bug, that manifests itself on different devices. I'm seeing the standard behavior as always.
    fastasleep