Touch ID that spans the entire iPhone display in the works at Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    ireland said:
    tylersdad said:
    Face ID works so much better for me than Touch ID ever did. I sure hope they don't plan on ditching Face ID for Touch ID. 
    Face ID is great for some uses, but not all. Touch ID is superior for in-store payments? Also, what would be the harm in providing both, where users could pick a preference?
    Currently for I store payments I pre-authorize with a double click and Face ID scan then, when the total is complete (groceries) I position the iPhone near the terminal and complete the sale. So Face ID isn’t an issue as the proximity to the terminal reader for the final authorization is now separate from the Face ID scan. 

more hardware tech elements means a price boost. And perhaps an interior volume issue: battery or Touch ID? I’d choose battery. 
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    tylersdad said:
    Face ID works so much better for me than Touch ID ever did. I sure hope they don't plan on ditching Face ID for Touch ID. 
    I have a quite opposite experience. Face ID requires nearly perfect face direction and exposure for me, any obstruction and bad angles (often in a car, in bed, etc) make it unusable whereas Touch ID worked every time.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    FaceID is not really usable when you are wearing protective headgear or something like a facemask (in dusty environments)
    In these cases, a finger makes the task of opening the phone very easy.

If this rumor is true then I may well think about upgrading my phone. Otherwise... sorry Apple my wallet will remain firmly shut. 
    FaceID is a no go for me because I don't want my phone unlocking at work just because I glance at it.    I hope they do this, then I may move up from my 8Plus.
    I understand people may feel that FaceId is better but I would like to see touchId supported.   Apple could also market this a double security to require face and fingerprint.
    SpamSandwichavon b7
  • Reply 24 of 30
    SkorSkor Posts: 4member
    I thought I would prefer Touch ID, but once adjusting, the only place I really miss it is with Apple Pay...there are some times it’s just awkward to use Face ID with your phone on the payment terminal... in practically every other situation, Face ID has seemed to be quicker and easier. I guess when I’m trying to discretely peek at my phone it could be useful as well, but even then, I can usually get my face enough in view for Face ID to work.
    You don’t need to have your face near the phone when you place it on the terminal. While in your hand double click on the side button, let it read your face, it authorizes, now hold it near the terminal. No need to have your face close to phone while over the terminal. 
    JFC_PAMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    k2kw said:
    FaceID is not really usable when you are wearing protective headgear or something like a facemask (in dusty environments)
    In these cases, a finger makes the task of opening the phone very easy.

If this rumor is true then I may well think about upgrading my phone. Otherwise... sorry Apple my wallet will remain firmly shut. 
    FaceID is a no go for me because I don't want my phone unlocking at work just because I glance at it.    I hope they do this, then I may move up from my 8Plus.
    I understand people may feel that FaceId is better but I would like to see touchId supported.   Apple could also market this a double security to require face and fingerprint.
    Without an upward scroll it doesn’t unlock with a simple glance. It’s a very deliberate set of actions required. With “do not disturb” enabled and that’s settsble a variety of ways.  it doesn’t even make a sound. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    ireland said:
    tylersdad said:
    Face ID is great for some uses, but not all. Touch ID is superior for in-store payments? Also, what would be the harm in providing both, where users could pick a preference?
    Or combine Touch ID, a passcode and Face ID for triple security?
    This. Even if it was just Touch ID + Face ID would do. Face ID as my username, Touch ID as my password.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    If they can make this happen, how about having camera sensors built into the screen so that people can be fully engaged with a FaceTime call? e.g., When you're looking at their eyes on the screen, you're not looking away from the camera, you're looking into the camera instead of away from it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    ireland said:
    tylersdad said:
    Or combine Touch ID, a passcode and Face ID for triple security?
    Yes, that was my thought...use a combo for double authentication on ultra-sensitive logins, like admin or phone/wallet security: place Touch ID, then provide Face ID for full validation. It would be almost impossible to fool both the touch and face of an owner. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 30
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    The only issue I have with TouchID, and this is a major issue because it happens almost all the time, that it is useless if your finger(s) is wet. It's useless in the kitchen or bathroom or near swimming pool or beach. And I use my phone all the time in the kitchen, 10 out of 10, I have to use passcode to enter my phone while checking the recipe.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Not gonna happen.

Regardless of a new mechanism for obtaining a fingerprint scan, Touch ID is multitudes less secure than Face ID. It also wouldn't result in the elimination of the notch, because we still need a camera. The true depth camera system does a lot more that unlock the device. That isn't going anywhere.

At best, this would be some less-secure accompaniment to Face ID, which we don't need.
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra