Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts to depart in April, hands mantle to Deirdre O'Brien

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 125
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    wuchmee said:
    During her tenure the Apple Store nearest me was transformed from the best retail experience available into a confusing, crowded and unpleasant destination. The merchandising aspect has been a step backward. Here's to Apple Store 3.0.
    Same.  

The Apple retail experience should equal or exceed the Nordstrom retail experience. It is currently far below that mark.
  • Reply 122 of 125
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    6502 said:
    Putting the head of HR in charge of retail seems like another dumb idea. I've never met a smart HR person (only idiots go into HR as they can't do anything else). They're so dumb they think they're smart by asking interview questions like what animal you would be if you could be any animal. For anything semi-complicated, they always seek outside counsel as they can't make any decisions on their own. Bad move, Tim.
    Humor aside, she may be chosen for a well defined (and extremely complex) task: recruit salesmen. Complete restructuration of the Stores by recruiting competent and dedicated sales personnel. A HR manager may be the best suited person to this task, supported by the direct involvement of TC.
    Perhaps, but Apple is one of the few companies whose product sell themselves (or at least used to). You used to be able to see the advantage of an Apple product vs. the competition easily; now, not so much. If Apple Stores turn into the equivalent of used car lots, Apple's in big trouble.
  • Reply 123 of 125
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    ksec said:
    I think getting rid of Genius Bar was the worst thing ever. But I am not entirely sure that was her decision. Jonny was involved in the Retail Remake as well. She is probably one of the best retail person, the problem is she had no experience in Tech. And tech industry is different to all other Retails. 

BTW, Apple exec team are one of the lowest paid across all industry. So I don't think she is overpaid at all. Or you could argue every single exec on earth are overpaid.
    Please, let's not feel sorry for execs making $100's of millions. Outside of founders, Apple execs are not paid the lowest across all industry, they are rewarded quite handsomely. And, yes, every single exec on earth is overpaid.
  • Reply 124 of 125
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mobird said:
    BittySon said:

Well it’s unfortunate you had that experience, mine have been nothing but positive.
    Little Rock, AR
    Germantown, TN
    Lakewood Village, Denver, CO
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Nashville, TN
    Knoxville, TN

All the above participants in the Apple Store DMV program. It doesn't matter what day it is, what time it is, it is an absolute mess.
    HR Dept should only be for resolving work place issues, compensation / benefits, training, policy, recruiting, etc. To often they become the most powerful entity in an organization and it is all down hill. Lots of clowns seem to end up in HR.
    HR heads, especially in large organizations like Apple's have way more duties to attend to in just the HR department. There is no way to run the HR department and think that the Retail division can receive it's due.
    I thought her title was VP of people rather than HR?
    If so, that could have a very different emphasis on the responsibilities and objectives of the job.   Somebody in charge of people would, potentially, be more concerned with supporting people to grow and broaden their abilities rather than the typical HR stuff you mentioned.   And that would be more consistent with Steve's vision for his company.

From the outside we can only guess.   But my hope is that she is and will remain, VP of people.  And her job is to help Apple employees become the best that they can be -- because, without that, Apple is doomed to mediocrity.   That is:  in the case of Apple Stores:  it doesn't matter what the tables are made of or how curved the glass is.   Ultimately, it comes down to how well the people do in meeting the needs of the customer.

And, to take that one step further:   As Apple branches out their sales -- even adding big box stores as well as Amazon -- the Apple Store will become less about moving product and more about supporting the people who buy those products.   And, that requires a higher level of employee than a simple sales person.