Review: Anker Powerline II USB-C Lightning cable is cheaper and more durable than Apple's

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Seriously hope that the Trend started with the iPad Pro washes down on all remaining iPads and iPhones.. USB-C Not really interested in buying a new phone until that happens. And for me Apple created that when they announced the iPad Pro with USB-C. For a few reasons. One USB-C is a faster cable than Lightning could be. 
    Especially with Thunderbolt 3 added in. Also its becoming more common. Look at the new MacBooks would be nice to have once cable to charge phone and laptop 
    (might be over kill using a Laptop charger on an iPhone or iPad :) Dunno yet) Would be nice to see the death of the Lightning cable. Sorry apple but that's my opinion.
    Now waiting for everyone to tell me Im wrong :)
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Seriously hope that the Trend started with the iPad Pro washes down on all remaining iPads and iPhones.. USB-C Not really interested in buying a new phone until that happens. And for me Apple created that when they announced the iPad Pro with USB-C. For a few reasons. One USB-C is a faster cable than Lightning could be. 
    Especially with Thunderbolt 3 added in. Also its becoming more common. Look at the new MacBooks would be nice to have once cable to charge phone and laptop 
    (might be over kill using a Laptop charger on an iPhone or iPad :) Dunno yet) Would be nice to see the death of the Lightning cable. Sorry apple but that's my opinion.
    Now waiting for everyone to tell me Im wrong :)
    I'd like an iPhone with USB-C too. I'm almost to the point where everything else in my tech world has a USB-C connector, which has really cut down on cable and charger hassle. I carefully selected USB-C cables that have both the data speed and power delivery I need for my most demanding item (the MacBook Pro), which means that any cable I grab will work with any device. Except my iPhone. That still requires a proprietary connection.

Like you, I was waiting for the next generation to see if the flagship would make the jump like the iPad Pros did, but then my existing phone, an iPhone 6 Plus, died suddenly and unexpectedly (in lieu of flowers please send a note to https://www.apple.com/feedback/ asking for future iPhones to have USB-C connectors). That meant buying another Lightning device. If I get my wish and we do see USB-C iPhones this fall, it will be the first time I haven't skipped at least one model year!
  • Reply 23 of 30
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    I think you have a typo in regards to the wire gauge. There's no way it's 12 gauge, more likely it's 24 or smaller. Twelve AWG wire is the typical size of the electrical wiring in your home (120v, 20a). Considering the lightning connector is going to have 7-8 conductors, if the wires were 12 AWG the cable would be about 3/4 inch in diameter (or roughly the size of a garden hose).
  • Reply 24 of 30
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    the Anker Powerline II USB-C to Lightning cable -- is not just less expensive than Apple's, but also more durable.
    How are you determining that "more durable" statement?  Are you basing it on the feature set that "should" result in more durability, or have you performed some set of tests that simulate usage over a long period of time?

Of course, a "lifetime warranty" mitigates even the worst durability somewhat (depending on what "lifetime" means in context), but it's still more convenient to not replace a cable than it is to replace one.
    It's a statement that is obvious enough it shouldn't need additional support. You can tell by looking at the cable the size of the overmolds dwarfs Apple's. Apple's cables tend to fray right below the connection pieces which is where Anker beefed these up. The Powerline II cables have also been around for a long time and are generally considered, while basic, to be very durable. More so than Apple's. 
    I’ve had cables where the lightning connector itself snapped off or bent within the overmold, so the size of the overmold doesn’t necessarily have any bearing on durability. It’s a valid question. 
  • Reply 25 of 30
    have not found one fool-proof brand of lightning cables
  • Reply 26 of 30
    bosbos Posts: 1member
    nice
  • Reply 27 of 30
    It's a statement that is obvious enough it shouldn't need additional support. You can tell by looking at the cable the size of the overmolds dwarfs Apple's. Apple's cables tend to fray right below the connection pieces which is where Anker beefed these up. The Powerline II cables have also been around for a long time and are generally considered, while basic, to be very durable. More so than Apple's. 
    We're going to have to agree to disagree on that point, I'm afraid.  Appearances can be, and often are, misleading, especially when it comes to materials in consumer products that "look" a certain way.  A thing can be designed to look durable without being very durable at all.  The fact that Anker's other cables have proven to be more durable in the past is a far more compelling argument than the fact that this new one "looks" durable.
    edited February 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 28 of 30
    mcast.net said:
    IMO Anker cables are not good quality. They come nicely packaged, look and feel good - BUT - they don’t last.  The connector assembly seems to be glued and comes apart after a few months of average use.  Also the contacts seem to wear down leading to unreliable connections. I have 5-6 Anker cables suffering from one or both defects. I now buy cheap and replace often. 
    Read my article mate, lifetime warranty. No need to keep buying new ones. 

• Reply 29 of 30
    How many people spend the time energy and postage to engage in a ‘warranty exchange’ on a $20 cable.  Read my comments mate - they claim to sell high quality durable cables - and they’re not!
  • Reply 30 of 30
    mcast.net said:
    How many people spend the time energy and postage to engage in a ‘warranty exchange’ on a $20 cable.  Read my comments mate - they claim to sell high quality durable cables - and they’re not!
    Postage sounds trivial but it's not. I just returned a defective item in a small, lightweight package. Postage was CAD$14. Then add the cost of the packaging and time to deal with an RMA, packing it up with the paperwork, and a trip to the post office. Then factor in ten to fifteen days of turnaround time between sending back the bad item and receiving the replacement. Unless the item is expensive, it's cheaper and less hassle to buy new than get the "free" replacement.
    beowulfschmidt