Apple being sued because two-factor authentication on an iPhone or Mac takes too much time...

Comments

• Reply 81 of 126
    OrangesherbetOrangesherbet Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Wow, I got pissed with Apple's approach to password and identity management helping multiple family members with their Apple accounts, but I never thought wow I should file a lawsuit. I would probably sue my family members for not using Android, where Google has a way more convenient, smarter, platform-independent authentication system.
  • Reply 82 of 126
    Tony KingTony King Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I really wish there was an option to use Googles 'Authenticator' 2FA, yes I know they'd never allow that, but it's so much easier on your phone (Regardless, Android or iOS) I use it for Cisco Meraki, Google and Facebook (like that's much help!)
  • Reply 83 of 126
    A couple of years ago I bought a new iMac and set it up using my old iMac's Time Machine.  In the process, it gave me a 2nd Apple ID with 2FA, without any input from me.

WTF?
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 84 of 126
    I am not one of those people that acts like Apple can do no wrong. That said, I am so grateful that Apple provides 2FA to make my account more secure. This is a stupid lawsuit. 
  • Reply 85 of 126
    It literally only takes me 2 seconds.... plus there’s the option to disable this. Oh and there’s also the option to switch to an Android or back to a flip phone too. We are in the age of entitlement and first world problems. 
  • Reply 86 of 126
    I would agree with the lawsuit. The two factor authentication process is time consuming and inconvenient for the users.  
    Apple should work on another way to strengthen security. What happened to simple and intuitive philosophy of Apple’s? 
    Totally disagree. The plantiffs have to prove actual harm caused by Apple's 2FA. Having to spend an extra 30 seconds in logging in causes zero harm - and unless being a delicate little snowflake has become an protected class, there's zero merit.

This lawsuit is totally and utterly ridiculous and should be thrown out ASAP.
    randominternetpersonnetmage
  • Reply 87 of 126
    I work for Apple in the mac+ department. I handle every product that uses an Apple id. Everyday I handle on average 10 - 15 calls about 2 factor. The process is far from perfect, not fully explained to customers and is hated by most employees (including myself) because we take the brunt of mad customers frustrated with the process. Beyond the pain of the time it takes you have a bigger issues if you cant get to your trusted device. You have to enter account recovery which can take at minimum 2 days to up to a month. During this time the customer has zero access to the account. I put on average 6 people into recovery a day, everyone one of them being mad that it takes as long as it does. Apple has insane resources available, there is no reason to take peoples phones, tablets, computers away for days simply to change a password. This lawsuit has merit as a whole problem, but I disagree with the concept of wasting 30 seconds to sign in.
    netmagecgWerks
  • Reply 88 of 126
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    I would agree with the lawsuit. The two factor authentication process is time consuming and inconvenient for the users.  
    Apple should work on another way to strengthen security. What happened to simple and intuitive philosophy of Apple’s? 
    Yeah, I can see where 22 seconds periodically would be a major drag on your day.
    I think something else occurred to spark the lawsuit.  See my other looong post.
    That's possible, but not cited in the filing paperwork at all.
  • Reply 89 of 126
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    It is time for the court to make the loser of the case to pay for court time and lawyers' fees otherwise there will be no end o this sort of frivolous cases.
    netmage
  • Reply 90 of 126
    knowitall said:
    He is right, its very cumbersome, bordering on harassment.
    I often have to run stairs up and down to be able to do what I could do with a simple mouse click.
    Its also very inconvenient when using another account.
    I remember a very good Apple commercial which was completely right about PC’s, but now sadly also a Mac reality: 
    https://youtu.be/8CwoluNRSSc
    What are you people doing that requires 2FA codes all the time? 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 91 of 126
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    So beyond all the posts saying this guy's an idiot, or 2FA sucks, what is the actual standing for this suit? To file suit, you have to show damages - is he arguing he should be paid for the extra 20 seconds? Since an Apple ID and iCloud account is a free service, he can't claim damages there. I admit that I haven't read Apple's terms of service, but I'm guessing there's something in there about security as well...
  • Reply 92 of 126
    Lawyers who file law suits like this should be disbarred.  Period.
    netmage
  • Reply 93 of 126
    I work for Apple in the mac+ department. I handle every product that uses an Apple id. Everyday I handle on average 10 - 15 calls about 2 factor. The process is far from perfect, not fully explained to customers and is hated by most employees (including myself) because we take the brunt of mad customers frustrated with the process. Beyond the pain of the time it takes you have a bigger issues if you cant get to your trusted device. You have to enter account recovery which can take at minimum 2 days to up to a month. During this time the customer has zero access to the account. I put on average 6 people into recovery a day, everyone one of them being mad that it takes as long as it does. Apple has insane resources available, there is no reason to take peoples phones, tablets, computers away for days simply to change a password. This lawsuit has merit as a whole problem, but I disagree with the concept of wasting 30 seconds to sign in.
    If I worked at Apple and had this experience, I hope I'd avail myself of whatever suggestion-box process the company supports.  
    netmage
  • Reply 94 of 126
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    What a moron. If anything, users should sue Apple for forcing them to use an E-mail address as their user ID, and refusing to consolidate the resulting multiple Apple accounts that people inadvertently set up. The lay user can easily then lose apps or other content that they've purchased with old Apple IDs, when their E-mail address changes (with a job, ISP switch, whatever). The stupidity of using an E-mail address as a user ID is neatly summed up here: https://goldmanosi.blogspot.com/2012/06/forcing-people-to-use-e-mail-address-as.html
    This would be another frivolous lawsuit, sorry to tell you. 
  • Reply 95 of 126
    There is a risk that if the device that receives the two-factor code is not online for some reason (not charged, service unavailable, bill not paid, etc.) you won't be able to log into another device without some serious hoop jumping. Two factor authentication as implemented is far too complicated for my 80 year old mother to use. I would prefer biometrics plus a code as the second factor.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 96 of 126
    I do think Apple should implement 2FA to eliminate the need to manually type in a code for approval - like Microsoft Authenticator you should just be able to approve the login (which works on the Watch) and it should work.

Sad that the Microsoft process works better on the Apple ecosystem than Apple’s.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 97 of 126
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So on the one hand we have a an AI editorial decrying Apple’s bug bounty program has made us all less safe. On the other hand we have people here supporting this lawsuit against Apple to force them make us less safe. Does anyone see the irony here? The shear cognitive dissonance, the unbridled hypocrisy? So those who support this lawsuit want the option to be less safe but turn around and demand Apple pay huge bounties for bugs to so they can be more safe. 
  • Reply 98 of 126
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    netmage said:
    I do think Apple should implement 2FA to eliminate the need to manually type in a code for approval - like Microsoft Authenticator you should just be able to approve the login (which works on the Watch) and it should work.

Sad that the Microsoft process works better on the Apple ecosystem than Apple’s.
    Yeah, Apple is this giant clusterfuck of failure. Very sad.
  • Reply 99 of 126
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I'm going to sue the party who brought that suit because reading it took too much of my time.
  • Reply 100 of 126
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    The problem isn’t the occasional 22s, it is that in unreliable networks, behind odd firewall, or whatever, often it simply doesn’t work: the prompt with the “second factor” doesn’t arrive.

Also there are serious issues in case of a hardware failure: you may end up stranded, without a second device unable to access key data when you urgently need it.

I luckily happen to have multiple iPhones plus an iPad and a couple of Macs, so the hardware failure scenario is less of an issue, but had I only a phone plus a Mac, I’d have been stranded on many occasions.
    cgWerks