Fifth-generation iPad mini may not incorporate big design changes

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2019
The fifth-generation iPad mini could bear a striking resemblance to the iPad mini 4, a report claims, as while the internals for the rumored tablet are expected to be upgraded, the physical appearance and many of its features may be identical to its predecessor.

The fourth-generation iPad mini
The fourth-generation iPad mini

The rumored refresh of the iPad mini, anticipated to arrive in the first half of 2019, may be welcomed by users wanting a replacement of the pint-sized tablet, but it seems that, aside from a performance improvement, it may not offer that much more on top of its small size.

According to accessory producers speaking to Macotakara, the fifth-generation iPad mini will follow the same design as the previous model. It will apparently continue to have features like Touch ID instead of shifting to Face ID, the Lightning connector instead of USB-C, and will retain the 3.5mm headphone jack that has disappeared from other Apple products.

Of the changes anticipated in the model, the fourth-generation's A8 chip is tipped to be replaced by either an A10 Fusion or an A10X Fusion processor, giving it a considerable performance boost. The back microphone position is also thought to shift to the "center of the upper back," similar to the 6th-generation iPad.

With the move to the A10 or A10X, it is still unclear to the report if Apple Pencil support will be included in the new model, bringing it in line with the current-generation iPad. If it does indeed offer Apple Pencil support, it is suggested that it will be for the first-generation model of the stylus, not the second.

So far, there have been relatively few rumors surrounding the physical design of the new iPad mini 5, with some suggesting it will keep the design with relatively few changes, if at all. Two suppliers supposedly providing touch solutions for the device have been identified, while model numbers in a regulatory database serve as a strong indicator that new iPad models are on the way.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Color me skeptical.  I I guess it's plausible that Apple wouldn't apply some of the technical improvements it's brought to market since the last iPad Mine, but... color me skeptical.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    While not ideal, the iPad mini is such a great size a good internals update would be enough. Provided they don't try and charge too much. 
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7MisterKithmurchison
  • Reply 3 of 16
    my preference would be to add the facial recognition to an otherwise great product
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Hopefully Apple will fix the price problem with the Mini with the new model. In the US the lowest priced Mini 4 is $399 (128 GB) and the lowest priced 9.7" iPad (32 GB) is $329. None of that makes sense, other than Apple apparently not wanting anyone to buy the Mini.
    muthuk_vanalingamMisterKithmurchison
  • Reply 5 of 16
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    On the plus side, at least the 3.5mm audio port will be there, which is a definite WIN for me.
    MisterKitoseame
  • Reply 6 of 16
    "With the move to the A10 or A10X"

My preference would be for Apple to use the A12 that's used in the iPhone XR => both in the updated iPad mini 5 and iPad 9.7" 7th  generation
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    sounds like a move to keep the price/cost down. I am okay with that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    A12 in the mini? No way. No FID either. It will be the same basic shape and style. It'll have Touch ID, and a bumped CPU. Apple will play with the storage options – probably 32GB and 256 GB. I could live with 64GB. The 4's cases won't fit and Apple will sell only smart covers no cases for the 5.

Probably no increase in RAM, and no Pencil support (but I'd really like that). The display will be a lower tier, non-laminated screen making Pencil support even less likely.

It'll be priced less than but close to the current iPads — $279-$299 for WiFi, only marginally cheaper than the 2018 9.7" iPad.

How accurate is any of the above? Who knows. But in a rare occurrence, I think I'm going to be disappointed, even with my low expectations.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    linkman said:
    Hopefully Apple will fix the price problem with the Mini with the new model. In the US the lowest priced Mini 4 is $399 (128 GB) and the lowest priced 9.7" iPad (32 GB) is $329. None of that makes sense, other than Apple apparently not wanting anyone to buy the Mini.

The Mini was eating Apple's lunch as the bargain-priced alternative to the larger iPad. Apple will again make it only available in the max size storage version for the same reason they did away with the lower cost Mini version - it's all about $$$. Personally I wish they'd make a PRO version of this tablet - I'd be happy to pay premium price - but again, sales would eat into the larger sized units. I have an 11" pro, but honestly I don't like large iPad devices - again, this is done by Apple for $$$
  • Reply 10 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    How are they going to price this device?

The 2018 iPad 9.7 has an A10 SoC for $330. The still sold 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 has an A10X SoC for $650. If the 2019 iPad mini has an A10, it would have to be something like $300. If it has an A10X SoC, 4 speakers, laminated 120 Hz display, maybe it can slide in at $500, but who is going to buy it over an upgraded 9.7 model for an extra $170? The iPad Pro 10.5 is a tough sell too.

Then, what SoC is the 2019 iPad going to have if this mini has an A10X?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Why does anyone think this will come out with an A10? Apple has never released a new product with a two-year-old processor. They plan for low-end devices like iPod Touches and iPad Minis to be on the shelf for years without an update.

I was expecting an A12, but the Mini 4 came out with a one-year-old processor, so A11 sounds more likely. But no way it'll be an A10.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I don't see them putting in an A10X aside from maybe if they want to give it more GPU horse power for this rumoured gaming service. I suspect it'll get an A10 though they should do A11 for both the iPad and the iPad mini. And both should have pencil support.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I could see this...when the iPhone Xs came out I thought the iPhone SE, 7 and 8 looked rather dated. Then I saw the prices. All of a sudden my SE was looked great!

My iPad mini 2 is a great form factor... But like the iPhone XS, I'm not going to pay $599 for a new iPad mini.

My first generation AppleWatch is still a great device for running and everyday wear. Don't really want to spend $499 for the latest watch.

My AirPods are one of the best Apple devices. They'll be fine until they break.

My AppleTV (non 4k) is fantastic. I'll wait to get maybe get the next one. Or maybe just buy a new TV with iTunes installed.

My 2017 MacBook is a fantastically elegant Apple device, but once it breaks, I'll go all in on iOS, an iPad mini, iPhone, AirPods and TV. Done! :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Pshew... hopefully a true rumor. Dodged a bullet there, then. :smile: 

• Reply 15 of 16
    So no redesign and 2.5 year old technology. That sounds about right. Apple asked "what is the least we can do" and this new iPad Mini is the answer to that question. It will look great as the marketing displays used in Apple Stores.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 16 of 16
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    So no redesign and 2.5 year old technology. That sounds about right. Apple asked "what is the least we can do" and this new iPad Mini is the answer to that question. It will look great as the marketing displays used in Apple Stores.
    Not if it uses a current processor, GPU, and other parts. It might be much, much better than a complete redesign. We'd get the best of the new, without all the other baggage.