Ariana Grande breaks Apple Music records with 'Thank U, Next'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2019
Singer and songwriter Ariana Grande's latest album has topped Apple Music charts on its day of release, and has become the biggest global release from a female artist in the service's history.

Ariana Grande on Apple Music
Ariana Grande on Apple Music

Apple has announced via Twitter that Ariana Grande's Thank U, Next album has topped its streaming charts in 84 countries. This makes what Apple Music describes as the "biggest day 1 global pop album," and also the "biggest day 1 global for a female artist."

The album was released to streaming services on February 8, 2019, and is the singer/songwriter's fifth studio album. Apple has not released any details of the number of plays achieved, nor published which were the previous record holders in these categories.

Ariana Grande most recently featured in Apple Music's Memoji-themed billboards which were launched ahead of the Grammy Awards. She has also featured in Carpool Karaoke.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thisisasjalsothisisasjalso Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    One of the most interesting categories of the decline of western civilization will be the study of music. Studies show an objective decline in the intelligence displayed in popular music over decades. That being said, I'm super thankful Apple exists because they do have an excellent classical and early-to-mid-century catalogue. Huge props to them for that.
    Your critique on the decline of western civilization is actually just a petty dig at Ariana Grande, and is essentially pointless. However, the implication you made that popular western music is a contributor to the decline of western civilization assumes (a) there is a decline, and (b) the decline is limited to the west. Western pop music has a foothold worldwide, so what you're actually saying is humanity itself is doomed because of Ariana Grande. So, no.
    SoliAppleExposedlolliverJWSC
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Not a fan of her or her music but if it sells, Apple needs to be selling it.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    With "The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs" winning Best Opera and now "Thank U, Next", it was a good night for ol' Steve!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    One of the most interesting categories of the decline of western civilization will be the study of music. Studies show an objective decline in the intelligence displayed in popular music over decades.
    Carole King (1967):

Looking out on the morning rain
    I used to feel uninspired
    And when I knew I had to face another day
    Lord, it made me feel so tired
    Before the day I met you, life was so unkind
    But your love was the key to my peace of mind

Ariana Grande (2019):

You got me some type of way (Hmm)
    Ain't used to feelin' this way (Mmm-mmm)
    I do not know what to say (Yeah, yeah)
    But I know I shouldn't think about it
    Took one fuckin' look at your face (Hmm)
    Now I wanna know how you taste (Mmm-mmm)
    Usually don't give it away (Yeah, yeah)
    But you know I'm out here thinkin' 'bout it
    edited February 2019 quinneyholyoneallmypeople
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Western pop music has a foothold worldwide, so what you're actually saying is humanity itself is doomed because of Ariana Grande. So, no.
    Lol...nice first post.

Actually we're doomed because of BTS...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    One of the most interesting categories of the decline of western civilization will be the study of music. Studies show an objective decline in the intelligence displayed in popular music over decades. That being said, I'm super thankful Apple exists because they do have an excellent classical and early-to-mid-century catalogue. Huge props to them for that.
    Your critique on the decline of western civilization is actually just a petty dig at Ariana Grande, and is essentially pointless. However, the implication you made that popular western music is a contributor to the decline of western civilization assumes (a) there is a decline, and (b) the decline is limited to the west. Western pop music has a foothold worldwide, so what you're actually saying is humanity itself is doomed because of Ariana Grande. So, no.
    "I claim to read your mind so I'm going to come up with a straw man and hope no one notices" 
    More like "I dissected your dumb assed opinion that is so banal that it was probably uttered about Mozart's Don Giovanni".