Apple's weak Chinese iPhone sales blamed directly on high prices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    Honestly I probably would have bought more Apple stuff this year if it was more cost effective. I just can't justify the price with the way they price their stuff in Canada.
    Apple is actually really good about pricing in Canada. Prices are almost always very close to the US Dollar equivalent after exchange, and sometimes even a little lower.

Contrast that against companies like Sony that force their regional distributors to be completely self-sufficient, resulting in the Canadian price of a receiver I was considering being 33% higher than the US price AFTER exchange.

EDIT: My intended point is only that prices in Canada are not any higher than they are in the USA. That doesn't speak to the issue of whether prices are too high overall.
    edited February 2019 muthuk_vanalingammagman1979AppleExposedjony0
  • Reply 22 of 79
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Honestly I probably would have bought more Apple stuff this year if it was more cost effective. I just can't justify the price with the way they price their stuff in Canada.
    Is this the first year that you have purchased or considered purchasing Apple products in Canada?  I agree the prices are higher, but let's not act like suddenly they have become so incredibly expensive that customers are priced out?  They have always priced their products on the high end.. Not just in the past 2 years with the iPhone X breaking $1000.00.

I do agree with you in regard to iPhone pricing. I am an every year upgrade person and this year I had to seriously think about paying $1099.00. I love my Xs Max, I am very happy with the purchase at 5 months in, but the sticker shock hit me a little harder this past Sept. I was coming from and 8 Plus so the pricing was even more noticeable.

There is a great video from Renee Ritchie that really explains the pricing since the 1st iPhone.

Like Flossy says in the beginning of the video..The Prices are too G**Dam* High! Hahaha  Makes me laugh..

• Reply 23 of 79
    maestro64 said:
    [...] I am willing to wait to get something since I know the price will come down or there will be a deal around the corner.
    Really? How much did the price of the Mac mini come down in the four years we waited for an update? How much has the price of a the cylinder Mac Pro come down since it hit the market five years ago?

I disagree that waiting is a viable solution to overcoming the high price of Apple products.
    muthuk_vanalingamAppleExposedmike54jony0
  • Reply 24 of 79
    The current state of Apple is symbolized by the un ending rip off and hazzard that is the charging cord and lightening connector. Please if you can my dear user name me one other electronic product cable of the last 50 years that fails and fails within months. There is no other as this problem was solved decades ago. Only apple has this problem and it continues year after year. $40 per cable F u Apple
    Nonsense. My cables last years because I don't trash them. And they cost $20. Even Anker's newest Lightning cable is only $3 cheaper. Big whoop.

A couple years back my experiment MonoPrice and Amazon cables both fell apart fairly quickly tho -- the plug assemblies came apart. Never happened with any of my Apple cables. 
    magman1979AppleExposedJFC_PAjony0
  • Reply 25 of 79

Tim Cook is not the right CEO for Apple in 2019. A true definition of success would be to sell the hardware with a razor thin margin, and make buttloads of cash on services.
    You're high. That may be YOUR definition of success, but it is not a "true" definition of success. Apple became the most successful public corporation in human history by selling hardware. Switching to a services-focused model would put them in league with companies like Netflix, which make peanuts compared to Apple.

Profit is the air corporations breathe.
    magman1979AppleExposedfastasleepuraharajony0
  • Reply 26 of 79
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    waltg said:
    I love Apple products but, enough is enough with this insane phone pricing!! By the time they lowered the XR, well, too late Apple, I had already purchased another competitor’s phone, and I’m sure I’m not the only one that did so... It is sad, way too much greed and these prices ARE way out of line!
    So rather than grab an new iPhone 7 or 8 at a a much lower price you bought a competitors phone instead?  That simply doesn't make sense and kind of sounds like BS to me.

I agree the prices are high, but out of line? As compared to what?  What devices are you directly comparing the iPhone too in order to make that statement? If you say the fuckin Pocophone I will scream!  Hahaha
    AppleExposedfastasleepJFC_PAjony0
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Frayed cable Frayed cable Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    The current state of Apple is symbolized by the un ending rip off and hazzard that is the charging cord and lightening connector. Please if you can my dear user name me one other electronic product cable of the last 50 years that fails and fails within months. There is no other as this problem was solved decades ago. Only apple has this problem and it continues year after year. $40 per cable F u Apple
    Nonsense. My cables last years because I don't trash them. And they cost $20. Even Anker's newest Lightning cable is only $3 cheaper. Big whoop.

A couple years back my experiment MonoPrice and Amazon cables both fell apart fairly quickly tho -- the plug assemblies came apart. Never happened with any of my Apple cables. 
    Bah nonsense 
    so you claim I’m using  the cable wrong. 
    I call bullshit. 
    I use the cable. Period. 
    No other cable has experienced this failure on any device in my near 5o years. 
     It has never occurred on anything ever but an Apple product and this has happened continually since my first iPhone v1. 
    So spare us defending the most valuable company on Earth who somehow can’t make a power cord that doesn’t fray. 

• Reply 28 of 79
    Apple has a lot of lower priced high quality products in their lineup. There is no requirement to get in on the high end.
    magman1979
  • Reply 29 of 79
    IDC stating the obvious.
  • Reply 30 of 79

Bah nonsense 
    I call bullshit. 
    I use the cable. Period. 
     It has never occurred on anything ever but an Apple product and this has happened continually since my first iPhone v1. 
    So spare us defending the most valuable company on Earth who somehow can’t make a power cord that doesn’t fray. 

My experience with Apple cables is about the same as any other brand, not so much better or worse that I've noticed a significant difference. However, lots and lots and lots and lots of people have this same complaint. Everywhere I go I see desks with Lighting cables held together with Scotch tape (literally). I find it hard to imagine that so many people are outright abusive of their cables, which leads me to think maybe those of us who consciously avoid doing things that will cause cable failure are the minority.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 79
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    knowitall said:
    Shareholders demand roi asap, no matter what happens. If it means purging the workforce to increase profit (for example by hiring a pensioned gestapo manager to execute almost half of the personnel (including almost all high capability people) with Russian roulette - because he has no clue of the capabilities and subject matter -), then let it be so.
    This anti-capitalist bullshit gets old, never mind the Nazi reference crap. You’re a clueless fool.
    magman1979randominternetpersonjony0
  • Reply 32 of 79

Bah nonsense 
    I call bullshit. 
    I use the cable. Period. 

LOL.  You created a screen name based solely on the fact that you mistreat your Apple cable and want to whine about it?

My family has owned at least 20 iPods, iPads, and iPhones over the years.  Most of those cables are still working fine.  Have I replaced some?  Not that I recall, but perhaps one or two.  It certainly hasn't been a big deal.
    edited February 2019 magman1979fastasleepJFC_PAjony0
  • Reply 33 of 79

Bah nonsense 
    I call bullshit. 
    I use the cable. Period. 

LOL.  You created a screen name based solely on the fact that you mistreat your Apple cable and want to whine about it?

My family has owned at least 20 iPods, iPads, and iPhones over the years.  Most of those cables are still working fine.  Have I replaced some?  Not that I recall, but perhaps one or two.  It certainly hasn't been a big deal.
    Why do people here jump to the conclusion that people who have trouble with failing cables are mistreating them? Why do you assume your experience is typical and his is unusual? Why is any complaint "whining?"

I don't have a lot of trouble with Apple cables either, but I'm not so arrogant as to assume my experience extends to everyone else.
    muthuk_vanalingam80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 34 of 79
    I find it astonishing how ignorant and short sighted people have become these last few years...

First off, when has IDC EVER, EVER, been known to say ANYTHING even remotely true? *crickets*

Second, the price for Apple gear is so high in many countries in the world due to the currencies in those countries getting devalued by idiotic monetary policies by the local governments, thus increasing the price on imported goods! I remember in Canada when Apple gear was at parity with USD prices, it was great! Now the CAD is hovering around $0.75 against the greenback, so of course things will be much more expensive here! And how about the devaluation of China's currency, and other Asia currencies? Yeah, tell me that doesn't have an impact on the price of imported goods!

Learn a few things about economics and the impact that will have on commodity goods pricing before shouting "Apple is greedy" or other stupid shit of that nature!
    AppleExposedrandominternetpersonJFC_PAjcs2305jony0
  • Reply 35 of 79
    [...] Learn a few things about economics and the impact that will have on commodity goods pricing before shouting "Apple is greedy" or other stupid shit of that nature!
    Right. Apple looked into a market with widening currency conversion rates and still chose to release products at the highest prices ever. Apple is not greedy, Apple is just STUPID.

:)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 79
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    hucom2000 said:
    We're all beating dead horses here, probably.

But whoever I talk to, Apple fanatics or people who converted from Windows or Anroid over the last few years, agree that Apple's pricing has gone out of hand. Everyone agrees that quality costs money. Yet they unanimously say that the have to re-evaluate whether they can justify buying another Apple device or not.

Sure, Apple can start lowering prices. But it seems that the damage to Apple's reputation has already been done. In a lot of people's minds they are a company that is selling highly overpriced devices. This makes me sad. It seems like such a foolish mistake to make. I don't understand it. 

Time Cook keeps talking about how expensive it is to develop these devices. But with the amount of cash the company is garnering every quarter, this seems like a desperate attempt to justify. People are not stupid. Developing the first iPhone, a truly revolutionary device, not evolutionary, with a much smaller marked, must have been very expensive. Yet it cost half as much as today's offerings. In a lot of people's minds - including mine - something just doesn't add up.
    "Everyone agrees that quality costs money"

Which is why iPhones cost so much.

Funny how when Tim Cook says development costs have risen, he's lying. SMH.

Sorry but FaceID is more expensive than TouchID, OLED is more expensive than LCD etc.
    Don't like it? Get an iPhone 8 for much cheaper and it's still better than any android spy device.

And YES people were bitching that the original iPhone was too expensive in 2007. Apple even responded by lowering the price in the U.S. something that has never happened since.
    magman1979jony0
  • Reply 37 of 79
    [...] Sorry but FaceID is more expensive than TouchID
    Is it? We don't actually know that, do we? For all we know, Face ID may cost Apple less than Touch ID.
    edited February 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 79
    [...] Learn a few things about economics and the impact that will have on commodity goods pricing before shouting "Apple is greedy" or other stupid shit of that nature!
    Right. Apple looked into a market with widening currency conversion rates and still chose to release products at the highest prices ever. Apple is not greedy, Apple is just STUPID.

:)
    Uh, no... They're not stupid, since there was a massive rush in China's growing middle-class to begin acquiring wealth at any cost, and is still occurring right now due to the Chinese love of debt resources to fund their spending and faking their GDP #'s to the world.

The issue is that a company such as Apple doesn't really have a chance at success there with someone like President Xi at the totalitarian helm.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Is this from the same IDC that in 2011 that predicted by 2015 Microsoft would squash Apple in phone sales??
    edited February 2019 magman1979AppleExposedMisterKitapricot88JFC_PAjony0
  • Reply 40 of 79

hucom2000 said:
    We're all beating dead horses here, probably.

But whoever I talk to, Apple fanatics or people who converted from Windows or Anroid over the last few years, agree that Apple's pricing has gone out of hand. Everyone agrees that quality costs money. Yet they unanimously say that the have to re-evaluate whether they can justify buying another Apple device or not.

Sure, Apple can start lowering prices. But it seems that the damage to Apple's reputation has already been done. In a lot of people's minds they are a company that is selling highly overpriced devices. This makes me sad. It seems like such a foolish mistake to make. I don't understand it. 

Time Cook keeps talking about how expensive it is to develop these devices. But with the amount of cash the company is garnering every quarter, this seems like a desperate attempt to justify. People are not stupid. Developing the first iPhone, a truly revolutionary device, not evolutionary, with a much smaller marked, must have been very expensive. Yet it cost half as much as today's offerings. In a lot of people's minds - including mine - something just doesn't add up.
    "Everyone agrees that quality costs money"

Which is why iPhones cost so much.

Funny how when Tim Cook says development costs have risen, he's lying. SMH.

Sorry but FaceID is more expensive than TouchID, OLED is more expensive than LCD etc.
    Don't like it? Get an iPhone 8 for much cheaper and it's still better than any android spy device.

And YES people were bitching that the original iPhone was too expensive in 2007. Apple even responded by lowering the price in the U.S. something that has never happened since.
    Bingo! And when you look at just how much more is packed into an iPhone today than it was when it was first released, the price increases are justifiable, just not to the people who want to have everything dirt cheap or free!
    AppleExposedMisterKitjony0