Apple's weak Chinese iPhone sales blamed directly on high prices

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    Tim Cook is not the right CEO for Apple in 2019. A true definition of success would be to sell the hardware with a razor thin margin, and make buttloads of cash on services. Apple is doing a poor job at services right now - Amazon, Google, Microsoft are performing much better on that regard. And I'm not talking iCloud photo storage here. I'm talking professional SaaS services for both consumers and enterprise. 
    Also Tim Cook should invest cash they are not moving. Buy 20% of Tesla, buy 25% of Netflix. It's frustrating to be a shareholder of a company that keeps money on the banks and over-pays management.
    Agree with Mr. Lkrupp, I think it’s time you sell your shares and buy a company that does things the way YOU would do it... 
    or are you just trolling?
    edited February 2019 magman1979
  • Reply 42 of 79
    [...] Sorry but FaceID is more expensive than TouchID
    Is it? We don't actually know that, do we? For all we know, Face ID may cost Apple less than Touch ID.
    And this statement is total BS unless you have someone working inside Apple that has internal knowledge they're willing to share about the exact costs of Face ID vs Touch ID...
  • Reply 43 of 79
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    geekmee said:
    Is this from the same IDC that in 2011 that predicted by 2015 Microsoft would squash Apple in phone sales??
    To be fair, Apple uses IDC data in presentations when necessary.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 79

waltg said:
    I love Apple products but, enough is enough with this insane phone pricing!! By the time they lowered the XR, well, too late Apple, I had already purchased another competitor’s phone, and I’m sure I’m not the only one that did so... It is sad, way too much greed and these prices ARE way out of line!
    I love Apple products too, and that is why I am holding onto my iPhone 7 Plus as long as possible...and my AirPods, HomePod, iMac, AppleTV and other Apple products that I bought my family because they work.  Yes, my upgrade cycle has lengthened. So I guess I am “Doomed” or guaranteed to spend my money with Apple.  Apple won’t get my money today, but they will get it eventually and if that is “Doomed” I bet that future revenue problem is one Apple’s competitors would love to have as one of their problems.  
    Good luck with updates, longetivity, connecting and synchronizing all your data across all other devices on another “competitor’s phone”... 
    Mr. Troll.
    edited February 2019 magman1979AppleExposedrandominternetperson
  • Reply 45 of 79

The current state of Apple is symbolized by the un ending rip off and hazzard that is the charging cord and lightening connector. Please if you can my dear user name me one other electronic product cable of the last 50 years that fails and fails within months. There is no other as this problem was solved decades ago. Only apple has this problem and it continues year after year. $40 per cable F u Apple
    Thanks for your enlightened opinion... It’s funny that you mentioned that, because I just decided to stop buying all these 3rd party cables over and over again because they didn’t last. All my Apple cables are still working as designed, so I figure you get what you pay for or “you can know the price of everything and the value of nothing.”

If you bought your “failed” cables online, there are multitudes of OEM imposters who package look alike waiting for undiscerning ‘marks.’

Apple support I am sure would be happy to give you some guidelines to avoid the imposters, rumors and misinformation.

Do you prefer being called “Frayed Cable” or Mr. ‘Troll’.
    edited February 2019 magman1979JFC_PA
  • Reply 46 of 79
    The current state of Apple is symbolized by the un ending rip off and hazzard that is the charging cord and lightening connector. Please if you can my dear user name me one other electronic product cable of the last 50 years that fails and fails within months. There is no other as this problem was solved decades ago. Only apple has this problem and it continues year after year. $40 per cable F u Apple
    Nonsense. My cables last years because I don't trash them. And they cost $20. Even Anker's newest Lightning cable is only $3 cheaper. Big whoop.

A couple years back my experiment MonoPrice and Amazon cables both fell apart fairly quickly tho -- the plug assemblies came apart. Never happened with any of my Apple cables. 
    Bah nonsense 
    so you claim I’m using  the cable wrong. 
    I call bullshit. 
    I use the cable. Period. 
    No other cable has experienced this failure on any device in my near 5o years. 
     It has never occurred on anything ever but an Apple product and this has happened continually since my first iPhone v1. 
    So spare us defending the most valuable company on Earth who somehow can’t make a power cord that doesn’t fray. 

LOL.  You created a screen name based solely on the fact that you mistreat your Apple cable and want to whine about it?

My family has owned at least 20 iPods, iPads, and iPhones over the years.  Most of those cables are still working fine.  Have I replaced some?  Not that I recall, but perhaps one or two.  It certainly hasn't been a big deal.
    Why do people here jump to the conclusion that people who have trouble with failing cables are mistreating them? Why do you assume your experience is typical and his is unusual? Why is any complaint "whining?"

I don't have a lot of trouble with Apple cables either, but I'm not so arrogant as to assume my experience extends to everyone else.
    If someone said "I bought an Apple device a few months ago, and the cable has already failed despite my not abusing it," that would be a reasonably post.  And people would likely respond with "that's bad luck; that has/hasn't been my experience."

But that's not what Frayed Cable said.  "Please if you can my dear user name me one other electronic product cable of the last 50 years that fails and fails within months."  And "No other cable has experienced this failure on any device in my near 5o years. 
     It has never occurred on anything ever but an Apple product and this has happened continually since my first iPhone v1. 
    So spare us defending the most valuable company on Earth who somehow can’t make a power cord that doesn’t fray."

That's clearly propaganda BS.  In 50 years(!) the only cable that fails him have been Apple cables, and it's every Apple cable he's every owned.  There are only two ways to explain that statement: 1. he abuses his cables (since no one else experiences 100% failure rate) or 2. he's a lying troll.
    fastasleepJFC_PA
  • Reply 47 of 79
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

[...] Learn a few things about economics and the impact that will have on commodity goods pricing before shouting "Apple is greedy" or other stupid shit of that nature!
    Right. Apple looked into a market with widening currency conversion rates and still chose to release products at the highest prices ever. Apple is not greedy, Apple is just STUPID.

:)
    As opposed to pricing them much lower and losing money on each iPhone sold?

Is it? We don't actually know that, do we? For all we know, Face ID may cost Apple less than Touch ID.

I remember reading that the camera array and sensors cost more. I could be wrong but as I said, Apple is using very expensive components and tech.

And this statement is total BS unless you have someone working inside Apple that has internal knowledge they're willing to share about the exact costs of Face ID vs Touch ID...

Right, neither of us know for sure but does he think FaceID is free?

People want Apple technology with android prices slapped onto thm.

Consider this:

Apple develops it's own hardware, Software, stores(App Store, iTunes etc.)  and services. None of which the knockoffs are required to do since everything is just handed to them (including Apples R&D department.)

So why in the world should Apples products be priced as low as a damn pocophone whch offers no security or privacy????

edited February 2019 jony0
  • Reply 48 of 79
    What are you talking about? WHICH statement is "total BS?" There is no statement other than WE DON'T KNOW. Your remark confirms mine: we don't know that Face ID contributes to increasing the cost of the iPhone. What part of that is BS?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 49 of 79
    Nonsense. My cables last years because I don't trash them. And they cost $20. Even Anker's newest Lightning cable is only $3 cheaper. Big whoop.

A couple years back my experiment MonoPrice and Amazon cables both fell apart fairly quickly tho -- the plug assemblies came apart. Never happened with any of my Apple cables. 
    Bah nonsense 
    so you claim I’m using  the cable wrong. 
    I call bullshit. 
    I use the cable. Period. 
    No other cable has experienced this failure on any device in my near 5o years. 
    So spare us defending the most valuable company on Earth who somehow can’t make a power cord that doesn’t fray. 

LOL.  You created a screen name based solely on the fact that you mistreat your Apple cable and want to whine about it?

My family has owned at least 20 iPods, iPads, and iPhones over the years.  Most of those cables are still working fine.  Have I replaced some?  Not that I recall, but perhaps one or two.  It certainly hasn't been a big deal.
    Why do people here jump to the conclusion that people who have trouble with failing cables are mistreating them? Why do you assume your experience is typical and his is unusual? Why is any complaint "whining?"

I don't have a lot of trouble with Apple cables either, but I'm not so arrogant as to assume my experience extends to everyone else.
    If someone said "I bought an Apple device a few months ago, and the cable has already failed despite my not abusing it," that would be a reasonably post.  And people would likely respond with "that's bad luck; that has/hasn't been my experience."

But that's not what Frayed Cable said.  "Please if you can my dear user name me one other electronic product cable of the last 50 years that fails and fails within months."  And "No other cable has experienced this failure on any device in my near 5o years. 
    So spare us defending the most valuable company on Earth who somehow can’t make a power cord that doesn’t fray."

That's clearly propaganda BS.  In 50 years(!) the only cable that fails him have been Apple cables, and it's every Apple cable he's every owned.  There are only two ways to explain that statement: 1. he abuses his cables (since no one else experiences 100% failure rate) or 2. he's a lying troll.
    Yeah okay, fair enough. I guess I got caught up in my indignation over the prevailing attitude here that Apple is somehow infallible and let it cloud my interpretation of that specific exchange. You're right, it was a bit hyperbolic.
    randominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 50 of 79
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    Apple said it miscalculated and will reduce prices where it feels it is necessary. There we have a tacit admission and a proposed adjustment. That is a pretty important admission.

This IDC data highlights the problem with some newer guesses, puts the spotlight on other reasons for the fall and gives us a wider viewpoint. I think there is nothing shocking in the guesstimates and most people expected something like this.

It doesn't take a genius to see that if you push prices up on already expensive base prices, you run the risk of hitting users' price ceilings. There is no doubt that is happening. There is no doubt either that currencies and sales taxes also pay a part but what matters to consumers is the price at the point of sale. Apple clearly thought it could push prices up and not get hit.

Price isn't the only issue, though. Competition is also fierce and one of the reasons Huawei has seen huge growth is because of the phones themselves. The quality, features and value - even at the $1,000 point. And although Oppo and Vivo didn't do as well they still showed increases in a shrinking quarter.

Apple is taking stock (no pun intended) and reacting. We might see other reactions before the next refresh.

2018, like it or not, was the year of the notch on smartphones. Apple only really had one (expensive) phone in that category for the better part of a year. Its entire line of remaining phones were 'old', looking dated or both. 'Full screen' was everywhere except on iPhones and when, at the last minute, the line was refreshed with full screen X variants, they really didn't offer much new.

2019 will be the year of punch holes, folding screens, tri/quad cameras and 5G. Apple will have very little to speak of in those terms until year end.

It is said that 2018 was a poor year for Samsung in terms of phone releases. The same can be said of Apple (basically an evolution of the 2017 iPhone X).

We think the S10 will mark a big improvement over last year. Apple has no option but to do the same in September/October.

Whatever happens, Samsung will always be able to (and regularly does) play with pricing if sales need stimulating. Apple would be foolish to try and increase prices yet again and would probably be much better off with an out of the gate price drop.

edited February 2019 propodmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 51 of 79
    That was, of course, a joke, and I think you recognized it as such, but still, to your point -- there is another option beyond pricing too high for the market and losing money: make some compromises in the design that remove costs for things that fall into the realm of diminishing returns.

I think Apple actually DID that. They made the XR. I just replaced a dead iPhone last week, and I admit being hard pressed to find a reason to buy the XS. The XR is a really good value.

I remember reading that the camera array and sensors cost more. I could be wrong
    The only place I've seen that written is by users like you and me who just assume it must cost more because it's newer and cooler. We don't actually know that.

but as I said, Apple is using very expensive components and tech.
    Are they? Are Apple's components really much more expensive that those used by other suppliers? If they were, how would we know? Maybe the components Apple uses do cost more than the modems, flash storage, camera modules, etc. you'll find in competitors top-of-the-line products, but I kinda doubt it. I'm pretty sure Apple's massive purchasing power insures it gets very competitive pricing on third-party components. There doesn't seem to be a massive chasm in the hardware capabilities of an iPhone compared to a similarly-positioned product of another brand, so I'm not inclined to give Apple a free pass on build costs.

That doesn't mean I don't think iPhones have value -- I do -- I just that I don't think component cost is a major contributor to rising iPhone prices.

Of course not, but that's irrelevant to the point I made. My point is about the assertion that Face ID makes new iPhones more expensive. We don't know that. If Face ID really does cost more than Touch ID, then it's a valid argument. If it actually costs the same as or less than Touch ID, the argument that its cost contributes to the rising price of iPhones is wrong.
    AppleExposedmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 52 of 79
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    lkrupp said:
    waltg said:
    I love Apple products but, enough is enough with this insane phone pricing!! By the time they lowered the XR, well, too late Apple, I had already purchased another competitor’s phone, and I’m sure I’m not the only one that did so... It is sad, way too much greed and these prices ARE way out of line!
    But Apple’s sales and market share have actually increased in the U.S. and elsewhere so I’m not buying your too expensive narrative. I guess you forgot this article is about the Chinese market, huh?
    Have they in the last quarter?  I don’t think so. As I’ve posted in the past I believe that the high salaries paid to Apple managers and executives has completely warped their perception of what ordinary people can afford. 

Apple has to make a choice. They can’t be both a luxury producer and a mass market company at the same time without a more diversified product line.  

And the issue isn’t their base prices because those configurations are basically useless.  I think I paid $3200 for my last MBP and I didn’t even get it with all the storage I wanted. But I think I’m done with Apple.  I’m not paying that kind of money again for a machine that can’t be upgraded and that only gets a 3-4 hour battery life.  

Apple has always been arrogant, but I think it’s finally got the better of them.  
    avon b7asdasd
  • Reply 53 of 79
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    That was, of course, a joke, and I think you recognized it as such, but still, to your point -- there is another option beyond pricing too high for the market and losing money: make some compromises in the design that remove costs for things that fall into the realm of diminishing returns.

I think Apple actually DID that. They made the XR. I just replaced a dead iPhone last week, and I admit being hard pressed to find a reason to buy the XS. The XR is a really good value.

I remember reading that the camera array and sensors cost more. I could be wrong
    The only place I've seen that written is by users like you and me who just assume it must cost more because it's newer and cooler. We don't actually know that.

but as I said, Apple is using very expensive components and tech.
    Are they? Are Apple's components really much more expensive that those used by other suppliers? If they were, how would we know? Maybe the components Apple uses do cost more than the modems, flash storage, camera modules, etc. you'll find in competitors top-of-the-line products, but I kinda doubt it. I'm pretty sure Apple's massive purchasing power insures it gets very competitive pricing on third-party components. There doesn't seem to be a massive chasm in the hardware capabilities of an iPhone compared to a similarly-positioned product of another brand, so I'm not inclined to give Apple a free pass on build costs.

That doesn't mean I don't think iPhones have value -- I do -- I just that I don't think component cost is a major contributor to rising iPhone prices.

Of course not, but that's irrelevant to the point I made. My point is about the assertion that Face ID makes new iPhones more expensive. We don't know that. If Face ID really does cost more than Touch ID, then it's a valid argument. If it actually costs the same as or less than Touch ID, the argument that its cost contributes to the rising price of iPhones is wrong.
    Considering Apple offers exclusive tech not even available to the knockoffs is reason alone to know they have to spend extra on components. Factor in the billions they spend on R&D and Apple owes us nothing.

Wasn't there stats that showed Apple makes less per iPhone than they did a few years ago?
  • Reply 54 of 79
    jbdragon said:
    I think Apple has hit the wall on prices they think they can charge. iPhone prices are sky high. iPad prices are sky high. Really it's all shot up to crazy high prices for what you're getting. Remember when you could get a cheap Mac by just getting a mac Mini. Now those like everyone else shot up in price. For what you get at the so called CHEAP end is a joke. I have this new iPhone XS, but in 4 years when I go to upgrade once again as I upgrade every 4 years, will it be another iPhone? I'm sure not paying $1500+ for a new iPhone in 4 years. I am not a fan of Android or all of Google's spying, but if Apple is going to drive me over their with their insane prices!?!?!?! This phone of mine was $1100. Personally I don't think that OLED screen is much better than the LCD screens I've had. Apple had really just gotten greedy, and if they continue, people will start fleeing from them. I really do wish there was a 3rd choice. How about a comeback of Windows Phones!!!
    iPad starts at $329, genius.

Windows Phone? HAHAHAHA Yes, please bring back a failed, shut down platform so there are more choices! LOL.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 55 of 79

Tim Cook is not the right CEO for Apple in 2019. A true definition of success would be to sell the hardware with a razor thin margin, and make buttloads of cash on services. Apple is doing a poor job at services right now - Amazon, Google, Microsoft are performing much better on that regard. And I'm not talking iCloud photo storage here. I'm talking professional SaaS services for both consumers and enterprise. 
    Also Tim Cook should invest cash they are not moving. Buy 20% of Tesla, buy 25% of Netflix. It's frustrating to be a shareholder of a company that keeps money on the banks and over-pays management.
    Sure am glad that people like yourself aren't running Apple.
    jony0
  • Reply 56 of 79
    zoetmb said:
    lkrupp said:
    waltg said:
    But Apple’s sales and market share have actually increased in the U.S. and elsewhere so I’m not buying your too expensive narrative. I guess you forgot this article is about the Chinese market, huh?
    Have they in the last quarter?  I don’t think so. 
    Is "I don't think so" based on feelings or facts?

• Reply 57 of 79
    maestro64 said:
    IDC always has narrative different than what is really happening, nothing new here. It has been stated by Apple and others the Trade wars had a direct affect on Apple's business in China and the fact their were rumors and statements that Chinese companies were ordering/paying people not to buy Apple but Buy Chinese competitors. 

Based on this it was not the selling price but trade actions causing the problem.
    How do we know Apple's being honest? It's very hard to believe price isn't affecting sales here and abroad. I'm sure the trade war plays some role but not all of it. 
    If price was the real issue it would have shown up in the numbers all over the world not just China. plus Apple reports their numbers by region and you see the China numbers begin down. Plus Apple is publicly traded company and when they make public statement they can be sued if they are caught not being honest, this is why we have shareholder lawsuits for company who miss lead the investing public. You can not say the same about IDC. I am not saying trust Apple implicitly, but see if their statement align with other things going on. 
    jony0
  • Reply 58 of 79
    maestro64 said:
    [...] I am willing to wait to get something since I know the price will come down or there will be a deal around the corner.
    Really? How much did the price of the Mac mini come down in the four years we waited for an update? How much has the price of a the cylinder Mac Pro come down since it hit the market five years ago?

I disagree that waiting is a viable solution to overcoming the high price of Apple products.
    Well I have not been in the market for mini or pro the last few years and I bought my Imac from B&H and got $250 plus a free printer in a xmas deal they did, so i did wait and saved money. 

But in the reality of it all, the cost of tech comes down every year, you are seeing it in the purchase price, but what all you get for that same $100 you spend. So the FaceID phones are expensive now since the tech is really new, eventually the cost of the tech will come down and you will be able to get in a lower cost phone. Plus we know Apple consumer will pay to have what they want. Apple is also the master of know the feature people are willing to pay extra for.

One thing a learned about tech and cost, and people complaining on the rich can afford it. When tech is new and costly it also does not work real well so the rich got the new buggy stuff where are those who can not afford and have to wait usually get the better quality stuff. This is part of the reason I tend not to buy what is new, wait and it you will be rewarded.

• Reply 59 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    designr said:
    Demands curves slope down. Who knew.

It isn’t just Canada!  I basically canceled two Apple purchases (MAC Mini & IPad) because of he irrationally high prices.  As for the new iPhone I can hardly say it is worth the price.  

Since 2008 most of my tech purchases have been Apple related but that is coming to a halt.  Gr Rey people and greedy companies just suck!
  • Reply 60 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    hucom2000 said:
    We're all beating dead horses here, probably.

But whoever I talk to, Apple fanatics or people who converted from Windows or Anroid over the last few years, agree that Apple's pricing has gone out of hand. Everyone agrees that quality costs money. Yet they unanimously say that the have to re-evaluate whether they can justify buying another Apple device or not.

Sure, Apple can start lowering prices. But it seems that the damage to Apple's reputation has already been done. In a lot of people's minds they are a company that is selling highly overpriced devices. This makes me sad. It seems like such a foolish mistake to make. I don't understand it. 

Time Cook keeps talking about how expensive it is to develop these devices. But with the amount of cash the company is garnering every quarter, this seems like a desperate attempt to justify. People are not stupid. Developing the first iPhone, a truly revolutionary device, not evolutionary, with a much smaller marked, must have been very expensive. Yet it cost half as much as today's offerings. In a lot of people's minds - including mine - something just doesn't add up.
    It adds up to greed!!!!   I don’t know of a better word to use here. 

hucom2000