Amazon acquires mesh Wi-Fi router startup eero as part of smart home push

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2019
Amazon on Monday said it has reached a deal to acquire eero, manufacturer of a range of popular mesh networking hardware that helps users distribute Wi-Fi signals throughout their home.

eero

Announced in a joint press release, the acquisition represents a successful exit to eero's startup activities, which began in 2014. Details of the deal have not been disclosed pending closing conditions.

It appears that Amazon will use eero to further an ongoing push into the smart home space that began with the e-tailer's line of Echo speakers. Loaded with Alexa voice assistant smarts, the smart speakers serve up answers to general customer queries and present another access portal to Amazon's online store.

"We are incredibly impressed with the eero team and how quickly they invented a WiFi solution that makes connected devices just work," said Dave Limp, SVP of Amazon Devices and Services. "We have a shared vision that the smart home experience can get even easier, and we're committed to continue innovating on behalf of customers."

Mesh networking solutions solve the problem of Wi-Fi dead spots by employing cooperative hardware nodes to evenly distribute consistent coverage over large areas like multi-level homes. The system presented by eero goes a step further than conventional mesh products with a streamlined setup and hardware management process, advanced user and parental controls, cloud connectivity for updates and other value-added features.

In 2017, the startup updated its lineup with a tri-band Wi-Fi base station and dual-band Beacon devices that plug directly into wall outlets for easy installation. Perhaps of interest to Amazon, the second-generation hardware features Thread radio components for communicating with low-power "internet of things" devices.

AppleInsider reviewed the first-generation eero system and found it to provide adequate coverage of a multi-story house.

Beyond Limp's statement on "innovating on behalf of consumers," Amazon's plans for eero are unknown. Amazon's Echo range would make a suitable platform for integration, potentially offering users both Alexa and enhanced Wi-Fi with a single device. In return, Amazon will likely retain unfettered access to eero users' internet usage habits.

The second-generation eero system is still up for sale on Amazon's website, with full sets -- one base station and two Beacons -- starting at $399.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    I am sorry I really do not want the likes of Amazon or Google have this much access in my home. It bad enough that Google and Facebook got caught putting VPN software on people phones which routed all your data through their servers so they can see what you were doing when not using their apps. Think about if they have access to your home network.
    mobirdStrangeDaysracerhomie3Deelronbrian65plshmurchisonclaire1lollivercgWerkschristophb
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Damn, another one.
    cgWerksjbdragonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 52
    Time to trade in your Eeros for Plumes, folks
    racerhomie3lollivercgWerkschristophbjbdragondoozydozenn2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 52
    I went back and forth between eero and Netgear Orbi when selecting a replacement for my Airport Extreme (both of them were among the few with enough LAN ports on the devices). I'm now so glad I chose the Orbi. I don't trust Amazon or Google with anything related to my network or data. Now if Apple had purchased eero (seemed like a good fit), I would have felt differently...
    edited February 2019 lollivercubefanMacProGeorgeBMaclovemnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 52
    For Sale: Lightly used Eero system. Will consider interesting trades.

And if I can't sell the units, I will never, ever update the firmware, period.
    edited February 2019 racerhomie3brian65plscornchiplollivercgWerksjbdragondoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 52
    After deciding my Apple Airport network wasn't going to see any more love from Apple I went with Synology for my home networking needs.
    There is no way I am going to have Google or Amazon involved with my home network.
    edited February 2019 lolliverGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Amazon on Monday said it has reached a deal to acquire eero, manufacturer of a range of popular mesh networking hardware that helps users distribute Wi-Fi signals throughout their home.

eero

Announced in a joint press release, the acquisition represents a successful exit to eero's startup activities, which began in 2014. Details of the deal have not been disclosed pending closing conditions.

It appears that Amazon will use eero to further an ongoing push into the smart home space that began with the e-tailer's line of Echo speakers. Loaded with Alexa voice assistant smarts, the smart speakers serve up answers to general customer queries and present another access portal to Amazon's online store.

"We are incredibly impressed with the eero team and how quickly they invented a WiFi solution that makes connected devices just work," said Dave Limp, SVP of Amazon Devices and Services. "We have a shared vision that the smart home experience can get even easier, and we're committed to continue innovating on behalf of customers."

Mesh networking solutions solve the problem of Wi-Fi dead spots by employing cooperative hardware nodes to evenly distribute consistent coverage over large areas like multi-level homes. The system presented by eero goes a step further than conventional mesh products with a streamlined setup and hardware management process, advanced user and parental controls, cloud connectivity for updates and other value-added features.

In 2017, the startup updated its lineup with a tri-band Wi-Fi base station and dual-band Beacon devices that plug directly into wall outlets for easy installation. Perhaps of interest to Amazon, the second-generation hardware features Thread radio components for communicating with low-power "internet of things" devices.

AppleInsider reviewed the first-generation eero system and found it to provide adequate coverage of a multi-story house.

Beyond Limp's statement on "innovating on behalf of consumers," Amazon's plans for eero are unknown. Amazon's Echo range would make a suitable platform for integration, potentially offering users both Alexa and enhanced Wi-Fi with a single device. In return, Amazon will likely retain unfettered access to eero users' internet usage habits.

The second-generation eero system is still up for sale on Amazon's website, with full sets -- one base station and two Beacons -- starting at $399.
    Sad indeed.  Eero seemed like a viable network for difficult living spaces.  Now it's just another spy in your personal space - feeding your information to others for profit without your consent.  East Germany had the Stasi and all their collaborators to oppress their population by surveillance- today we have Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter . . .

Happy times Lemmings.
    brian65plscornchiplolliverpropodjbdragondoozydozencubefanGeorgeBMacwatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Do you think Apple is working on an updated router for the future that we don't know about?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 52
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Anyone know any good third party firmware for Eero? I expect to see a lot of them on the market soon.

lolliverjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Apple, are you sensing an opportunity here?
    macseekerlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Thank God , I didnt upgrade my AirPort Express. 
    claire1christophbpscooter63mbenz1962doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Thank God , I didnt upgrade my AirPort Express. 
    Me three, hehe still working like a champ
    racerhomie3bluefire1claire1christophbpscooter63propoddoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 52
    bsimpsen said:
    Selling your data? No thanks. I pray Apple doesnt become like Google or Amazon. They have plenty of Siri machines like Homepod, Apple Watch ,iPhone & iPad.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    bsimpsen said:
    There's plenty of stuff they could do, but if it's not a major line of business they won't. Obviously they felt their wifi business wasn't worth it any longer. I doubt they will return.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    NY1822 said:
    Do you think Apple is working on an updated router for the future that we don't know about?
    No. I believe they exited for good.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Appleish said:
    For Sale: Lightly used Eero system. Will consider interesting trades.

And if I can't sell the units, I will never, ever update the firmware, period.
    Good choice. I am happy that I didn’t upgrade from my Apple Airport.
    claire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 52
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    mobird said:
    After deciding my Apple Airport network wasn't going to see any more love from Apple I went with Synology for my home networking needs.
    There is no way I am going to have Google or Amazon involved with my home network.
    But China is okay with you?
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 52
    cpsro said:
    mobird said:
    But China is okay with you?
    There is difference between designing a product in China vs manufacturing it in china.
    claire1lolliverjbdragondoozydozenMacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 52
    I used to think Amazon was an okay company when they were just an online mall... those days are long gone.   They seem to think they deserve to be involved with electronics companies like this one and computer stuff with their "web services"...   I rarely use Amazon anymore.  Wonder what they are going to try to take over next few years...
    lolliverjbdragoncubefanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Since Apple Left Us High & Dry - Synology Or Bust...
    mobird