Amazon acquires mesh Wi-Fi router startup eero as part of smart home push

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    NY1822 said:
    Do you think Apple is working on an updated router for the future that we don't know about?

YES I THINK APPLE IS EVENTUALLY GOING TO MAKE A ROUTER WITH OPENTHREAD AS ITS HOME AUTOMATION PROTOCOL 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 52
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    maestro64 said:
    I am sorry I really do not want the likes of Amazon or Google have this much access in my home. It bad enough that Google and Facebook got caught putting VPN software on people phones which routed all your data through their servers so they can see what you were doing when not using their apps. Think about if they have access to your home network.
    2 problems:

1. 99% of the population do not know this.

2. 50% of the people that do know, don't care.
    jbdragonmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 52
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member

NY1822 said:
    Do you think Apple is working on an updated router for the future that we don't know about?
    We can only wish. Apple was dominating the segment in customer satisfaction and profits too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 52
    cpsro said:
    mobird said:
    After deciding my Apple Airport network wasn't going to see any more love from Apple I went with Synology for my home networking needs.
    There is no way I am going to have Google or Amazon involved with my home network.
    But China is okay with you?
    Are you saying Synology is from China? I checked wikipedia; it's from Taiwan, a democratic place.
    jbdragonchristophb
  • Reply 25 of 52
    claire1 said:
    maestro64 said:
    I am sorry I really do not want the likes of Amazon or Google have this much access in my home. It bad enough that Google and Facebook got caught putting VPN software on people phones which routed all your data through their servers so they can see what you were doing when not using their apps. Think about if they have access to your home network.
    2 problems:

1. 99% of the population do not know this.

2. 50% of the people that do know, don't care.
    Make the second one 49.9%. The remaining 0.1% is those of us who willingly share certain information with certain service providers.

I buy enough from Amazon that I'm willing to share my info in order to get better search results and recommendations. I hate wading through pages and pages of items that are sorta what I want but not quite. If letting Amazon peruse my web browsing will help zero in on my preferences, I figure it works out okay for me.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    bsimpsen said:
    Apple, are you sensing an opportunity here?
    Selling your data? No thanks. I pray Apple doesnt become like Google or Amazon. They have plenty of Siri machines like Homepod, Apple Watch ,iPhone & iPad.
    My suggestion is for Apple to get back into the router market, and take the same privacy stance they do with all other products.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Shoot, and I was going to get Eero when my AirPort gives out. No way I’ll allow Amazon in my house. 
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 52
    I have eero at present.

I'll never update its software, and I'm seriously debating with myself  whether to pull it or just leave it in its present configuration.

This smells of Bezos grabbing for more power. 

jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 52
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    maestro64 said:
    I am sorry I really do not want the likes of Amazon or Google have this much access in my home.
    Crud... I was actually thinking about going with these next time we move (we don't need them in our current place, as it's quite small).

As others are saying... I'm not going to trust an Amazon or Google product in my home, sorry.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 52

cpsro said:
    mobird said:
    After deciding my Apple Airport network wasn't going to see any more love from Apple I went with Synology for my home networking needs.
    There is no way I am going to have Google or Amazon involved with my home network.
    China is probably more trustable than Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. these days.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 31 of 52
    cgWerks said:

cpsro said:
    mobird said:
    China is probably more trustable than Amazon, Google, Facebook, etc. these days.
    Maybe you should read the following book before making such statements. 

AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order

• Reply 32 of 52
    Whelp... coincidence that I hadnt pulled the plug on an eero purchase this week. So who’s the next best mesh provider!?  Based on the comments here its time to check out synology’s offerings. 
    mobirdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Grayeagle said:
    I have eero at present.

I'll never update its software, and I'm seriously debating with myself  whether to pull it or just leave it in its present configuration.

This smells of Bezos grabbing for more power. 

Same boat.

For Sale: Eero, Generation 2 Routers. Looking to replace immediately. Orbi and Velop ecosystem, pending further research. Ooh. Or Maybe Unifi.
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 52
    omar morales said:
    Maybe you should read the following book before making such statements. 
    Interesting... thanks for the recommendation. One of those things has me especially worried, but it isn't necessarily China, at least in the shorter-term.

I think Apple is more likely to acquire SpaceX or partner with Musk on his Starlink internet service for connectivity everywhere rather than develop another Wi-Fi router...imagine every Apple device with terabit Internet connectivity built-in for free or way less than 4G/5G.  Read more about it at: https://www.universetoday.com/140539/spacex-gives-more-details-on-how-their-starlink-internet-service-will-work-less-satellites-lower-orbit-shorter-transmission-times-shorter-lifespans/

Do you think this would motivate people to upgrade their 4 year old iPhones???  ;)

All I’m saying is if I had billions at my disposal, I would be thinking big like this instead of coming out with another “me too” Wi-Fi mesh router supporting Wi-Fi 6...
    That looks pretty sketchy. And, the phone would still need some kind of communication ability to the nearest ground tower that is communicating with the satellite. I'm not sure this solves anything on the WiFi/5G, etc. level. It seems more infrastructure oriented.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 52
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    This is a shame. Eero was a good system. Happily there are many other good mesh router systems out there. And thankfully I chose to purchase one of those and not eero. 
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 52
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    maestro64 said:
    Blame this on Apple. They should never have left the Router Market in the first place, and even if they did, they could still have bought Eero, which was widely recommended as the Airport replacement by multiple Apple Fan Site. And Eero could have been left running independently like File Maker, wouldn't even cost Apple a dime.

And now we have Amazon. 

cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 52
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    Apple leaving the router business was a huge misstep if they have no upcoming product (router/mesh) to replace what was killed off.

I always imagined a router/mesh system with a standalone wired router and ceiling/table stand 'rings' that could act as satellites and fitted together to add functionality.

So imagine a ceiling mounted ring for wifi mesh connections forming a base for light fittings drawing power, to which you could attach other rings to add functionality, smoke/gas detectors, video surveillance, mics for Siri etc. The same rings could be used (where appropriate) on the HomePod (would have to be redesigned of course) to essentially have a simple system that would easily plug in to existing rings or form the base for other additions.

The main standalone (and easily upgradeable) router would serve as the guardian to everything leaving and entering your network and as a standalone cost effective device, could be left on 24h.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    davidinsf said:
    I went back and forth between eero and Netgear Orbi when selecting a replacement for my Airport Extreme (both of them were among the few with enough LAN ports on the devices). I'm now so glad I chose the Orbi. I don't trust Amazon or Google with anything related to my network or data. Now if Apple had purchased eero (seemed like a good fit), I would have felt differently...
    I'm kinda in the same boat now.  Replaced my old Netgear router with a two piece Orbi one, and couldn't be happier with it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 52
    I think we’re making a lot of assumptions here, about Amazon monitoring our internet traffic with this device.  Integrating Amazon Dot/Echo with an access point is interesting.  There is some synergy in the products...

That said, I’m not interested in Amazon Echo’s due to privacy concerns, so I’m even less interested now.

But, there are millions of people with Alexa enabled devices (that don’t care) so Amazon likely has a winner.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    cgWerks said:

cpsro said:
    mobird said:
    That’s funny.  China has been monitoring EVERYTHING on the internet for at least a decade.  The Great Firewall of China...

I’m not saying trust the other companies mentioned (I don’t) but China is on another level.

For example, better not be a Muslim in China or you’ll be disappeared into a “re-education” camp.  You’re assumed to be a terrorist until proven otherwise, and sometimes not even then.

I wouldn’t be posting here if I lived in China.
    watto_cobra