Apple Sunnyvale office described as 'black site' with tenuous work conditions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    I wonder if "fully stocked vending machines!" will be the next rallying cry after minimum wages are all raised to $15.  Or "stop recruiting people you previously fired!"  Not quite as catchy or moral-high-groundy as a "living wage" I suppose.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    I wonder if "fully stocked vending machines!" will be the next rallying cry after minimum wages are all raised to $15.  Or "stop recruiting people you previously fired!"  Not quite as catchy or moral-high-groundy as a "living wage" I suppose.
    Next up... A.I. systems programming computers.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    macgui said:
    If you're not happy with AI's take on the story, try reading it from Bloomberg. Hint: you won't be any happier.

The story is mainly about how Apex treats the employees, and that Apple signed off on it. To be fair, it's hard to say whether or not Apple was aware of Apex's treatment. But that doesn't prevent the casual reader from exercising their bias and making assumptions not based on fact.

Some things are perfectly normal for at-will contract employees, such as not being able to use the gym at Apple, and not being allowed to put Apple on a resume. Hint: don't list something on your resume that a previous employer will deny. 'No, he/she was not an Apple employee' is all they have to say. Then you've effectively lied on a resume. That can bite really hard.

The bathroom thing, if true, is a health issue. A call to OSHA might, might yield some action.

But all the restrictions and admonishments could be delivered with appropriate respect without depriving anyone of any dignity whatsoever. I've never been an at-will or contract employee, but I've worked in environments that did not hold employees in much if any regard. Fortunately, I found a career where I was valued and respected, doing a job I loved. Now retired, I look around and see how many people will not have one but several careers. And being seen as expendable generally means poor treatment by poorer management.

maestro64 said:
    If you are going to whore yourself out and be a contractor...
    What a dumbass statement. You make a shitload of assumptions in order to further diatribe.
    Actually no assumption, my wife works in the contractor as service industry and provide software to this industry and has work for the last 20 years. She has seen first hand how it change from Contract to hire to just your a warm body doing a job for a company who has not interested your well being. She work with hundreds companies all over the world who hire contractors to work at big companies like Apple. Because the government past laws which make it illegal to keep someone on temp/contract for more than so many months/year and not hire them. Companies like Apple will hire a company like Apex who puts the contractor on their payroll (so they are permeant at Apex and an at will employee) and then farm them out to the company with the real work. The recruiting companies who find and hire these contractor will tell you they are just the pimp looking to place a warm body in a seat at a company.

Many of these people think contracting with XYZ company is the foot in the door to get hired there. Very few time does a company hire contractors through third parties. Companies like Apex definitely tell potential hire they will be working on Apple product or other companies products and if they do well and learn about the product a company like Apple will hire them. This is true sometimes, but more time not going to happen, these people are contracting since they do not get past the first screen of the resume at company like apple.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 29
    [...] Everyone has a higher moral standard for Apple. If this were Facebook or Google no one would give a shit.
    Well, yeah. Facebook and Google make no claims of occupying the moral high ground. Apple does. It's part of Apple's marketing strategy. So yeah, of course people expect more from Apple, because Apple itself tells us we can.
    "Don't be evil"

"We care about privacy"

Yeah let's ignore Google and Facebook and bash Apple all day.
    Fine. Sure. Whatever. It's a vendetta. Poor Apple is treated so unfairly. As long as Apple isn't any worse than Google or Facebook there's nothing see here and we should all move along.

I don't believe for one second that's what you actually mean, but you're so quick to "defend" Apple you're actually presenting Apple in an unflattering light. It's neither unfair nor unreasonable for anyone to hold Apple to a higher standard than the companies that are constantly being dragged into the Principal's office.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    maestro64 said:
    If you are going to whore yourself out and be a contractor ( they are not called body shops for no reason), you have to expect to take in the rear some times. I personally do not agree with how companies have used contract workers to avoid not having to hire people, but if you are unable to get a permanent job for various reasons, you can not expect to have the same benefits as those who have the skills and talents to land those jobs. There is a large number of people who are more than willing to take contract work verse trying to get a permanent job, companies know this so they know they do not have to own the cow to get the milk.

BTW no company will allow you to list them are work experience if you work for a third party contracting service. Yes they works on Apple products, buy they do not work for Apple. I worked for companies who made product for all the major Telecom companies, but I can not say I worked for the major service providers just because I worked on product they used.
    Two things. First, most IT contractors aren’t really; it’s just an end-run by employers to get out of paying proper taxes. True 1099 contractors are identified by their independence and lack of behavior control from the client. Most are actually employees dressed up as contractors but controlled just like W2 workers. I’m not a fan of the practice.

Second, having done it for over a decade (1099), if I’m onsite with the client and integrated into the client teams I absolutely list the client on my resume, as well as the contractor or sub-contractor firm I may be working thru. 
    edited February 2019 darkvader
  • Reply 26 of 29
    [...] Everyone has a higher moral standard for Apple. If this were Facebook or Google no one would give a shit.
    Well, yeah. Facebook and Google make no claims of occupying the moral high ground. Apple does. It's part of Apple's marketing strategy. So yeah, of course people expect more from Apple, because Apple itself tells us we can.
    "Don't be evil"

"We care about privacy"

Yeah let's ignore Google and Facebook and bash Apple all day.
     It's neither unfair nor unreasonable for anyone to hold Apple to a higher standard than the companies that are constantly being dragged into the Principal's office.
    Of course it is. That's the definition of being unreasonable or unfair -- treating different people differently for the same thing. If Apple did half the shit Google and Facebook  and the various Asian knockoff rip-off artists are routinely exposed for (and rightly so) people would flip a lid.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    $25/hour is generous?
    darkvader
  • Reply 28 of 29
    maestro64 said:
    If you are going to whore yourself out and be a contractor ( they are not called body shops for no reason), you have to expect to take in the rear some times. I personally do not agree with how companies have used contract workers to avoid not having to hire people, but if you are unable to get a permanent job for various reasons, you can not expect to have the same benefits as those who have the skills and talents to land those jobs. There is a large number of people who are more than willing to take contract work verse trying to get a permanent job, companies know this so they know they do not have to own the cow to get the milk.

BTW no company will allow you to list them are work experience if you work for a third party contracting service. Yes they works on Apple products, buy they do not work for Apple. I worked for companies who made product for all the major Telecom companies, but I can not say I worked for the major service providers just because I worked on product they used.
    Two things. First, most IT contractors aren’t really; it’s just an end-run by employers to get out of paying proper taxes. True 1099 contractors are identified by their independence and lack of behavior control from the client. Most are actually employees dressed up as contractors but controlled just like W2 workers. I’m not a fan of the practice.

Second, having done it for over a decade (1099), if I’m onsite with the client and integrated into the client teams I absolutely list the client on my resume, as well as the contractor or sub-contractor firm I may be working thru. 
    Ever tried C2C?
  • Reply 29 of 29
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    dysamoria said:
    I don’t care for the clear anti-Apple bias in this story.
    Tough. If Apple is running an unhealthy workplace, then people should know about it.

i don’t care for the clear anti-workforce bias in this country.

Everything I’ve ever heard about and witnessed about Apple as an employer has made it clear to me that I will never work for them. It has nothing to do with my skill set and everything to do with my self-respect. I’ve been abused by employers before; there’s nothing more important than staying out from underfoot of a sociopathic organization.
    I’m sure you wouldn’t be a good fit. 

California is an “at will” state. It’s a law. You can be fired for looking at your boss cross eyed. 
    So it’s not an Apple thing. 

If apex is handling all the job job related tasks, it sounds like an apex problem. 

What i I have discovered about the younger generations is that they simply don’t like working and they don’t like to be told no. 

There are other places to work if you don’t like this one. 
    steven n.