'AirPods 2' may not launch until the fall, Wireless Charging case coming sooner

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2019
More rumors have emerged on Tuesday morning about the "AirPods 2," with the latest suggesting that they aren't arriving until late 2019.

Apple's current AirPods design
Apple's current AirPods design

Most of the recent speculation about the AirPods 2 has focused on a spring launch, but a new report claims that they won't arrive until the fall. According to @onleaks, a new, but "seemingly reliable" source has informed him that they will arrive later than expected by the rumor mill.

Some #AirPods2 details I got from a new and yet unconfirmed but seemingly reliable source. Thus, I can't vouch these at 100%...
- New wireless charging #AirPods Case to be launched soon BUT shipped with current AirPods
- Brand new AirPods + new color(s) likely unveiled this fall pic.twitter.com/eNYom3Xys6

-- Steve H.McFly (@OnLeaks)

The new source seems to confirm that the "AirPods 2" will have new color options, but little else is mentioned in the Tweet and responses. Follow-up responses to questions in the thread posed to @onleaks do reiterate that the new source is not quite fully-trusted yet, however.

Reportedly, the "AirPods 2" will look identical to the current version with a new texture for improved grip on the earbuds, and the the possibility of the unit being available in black. An expected addition of health monitoring features follows previous reports of Apple's hiring for people experienced in this field and from the many studies into the benefits of in-ear health devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I will be very disappointed if the new ones wait all the way till fall to release!
    n2itivguybshank
  • Reply 2 of 21
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    My AirPods are dying.  Daily use for 2 years has rendered them to get 1hr of music and 30m of phone calls.  Resets, forgetting, re-pairing, etc. all no effect.  

I need new ones and won’t buy with a new design on the horizon.  
    n2itivguykrawall
  • Reply 3 of 21
    eriamjh said:
    My AirPods are dying.  Daily use for 2 years has rendered them to get 1hr of music and 30m of phone calls.  Resets, forgetting, re-pairing, etc. all no effect.  

For those in the USA, AirPod battery replacement is $49 https://support.apple.com/airpods/repair/service
    ravnorodomkiehtanracerhomie3libertyforalldws-2fastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 21
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    clarker99 said:
    eriamjh said:

For those in the USA, AirPod battery replacement is $49 https://support.apple.com/airpods/repair/service
    Thank you!  I had no idea you could have the battery replaced. 
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 5 of 21
    But isn’t it better to be disappointed in a Fall release, than to be disappointed in an early rush half-baked release? I can live with this disappointment.
    michelb76
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Didn't you guys say Airpods2 were launching in March 22, like 5 minutes ago?
    RonnnieO
  • Reply 7 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Fall sounds better for AirPods2. Wish Apple update AirPods1 with enhanced sound. Two versions at two price points. Even though AirPods2 overlap in functionality over AirPods1 but one health related and other provide good audio.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    jcs2305 said:
    clarker99 said:
    eriamjh said:

At $50 a piece you are probably better off buying a whole new set of Airpods...
    edited February 2019 n2itivguy
  • Reply 9 of 21
    clarker99 said:
    eriamjh said:

Out of warranty price ----> AirPod battery: $69. Charging case: $69. Better off just getting a new one.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 10 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gutengel said:
    jcs2305 said:
    clarker99 said:
    eriamjh said:

How do you figure? AirPods are $169 plus tax. So two at $49 is only $98. Even the charging case is only $49, so theoretically, it’s cheaper to replace the battery in all three things for $147, unless you can find a deal someplace for less, with no shipping or tax. 

About the only only reason to pay more for a new pair is to reset the clock on the warranty, if that’s a concern.
    edited February 2019 racerhomie3
  • Reply 11 of 21
    clarker99 said:
    eriamjh said:

Out of warranty price ----> AirPod battery: $69. Charging case: $69. Better off just getting a new one.
    No, the battery replacement is $49. $69 OOW is if you say washed one AirPod and doesnt work anymore. Same as if you lost one it is only $69.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    gutengel said:
    jcs2305 said:
    clarker99 said:
    eriamjh said:

Last I checked $98 is cheaper than $159? 
  • Reply 13 of 21
    I had spoken with Apple regarding getting my batteries replaced for my AirPods that were OOW. I was quoted to $69 apiece for all three parts — each AirPod and the case. If AirPods are OOW, you’re better off just buying a new set. $69*3=$207 vs $169 for a new set, no waiting, etc. 
    racerhomie3StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Wish list for case upgrade:

1. Speaker to chirp during “Find my Airpods” when lid is closed.

2. Option to have Apple print text (e.g., your name) on case exterior to distinguish one person’s case from other people’s cases. (Now I use a printed label. OK, but gets ragged over time.)

• Reply 15 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    n2itivguy said:
    I had spoken with Apple regarding getting my batteries replaced for my AirPods that were OOW. I was quoted to $69 apiece for all three parts — each AirPod and the case. If AirPods are OOW, you’re better off just buying a new set. $69*3=$207 vs $169 for a new set, no waiting, etc. 

But if I only need one battery/Airpod replaced then $69 OOW is cheaper.

If I break every component of course I'd rather buy a new set........

n2itivguyStrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 21
    eriamjh said:

I just bit the bullet on both of my (one is my wife's) sets... So I'm actually OK if they come in fall, however, I can see that doesn't help you and I'm sorry for this.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Swell. So I limp on with my barely charging AirPods.
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 18 of 21
    n2itivguy said:

But if I only need one battery/Airpod replaced then $69 OOW is cheaper.

If I break every component of course I'd rather buy a new set........

True, but if you’re sending in all units because you’re not sure which — if not all —of the pieces need the battery replaced, you’re potentially open to paying any amount from $69-$207. In my case, they didn’t know if the case also needed battery replacement, so I declined to potentially paying $207 for replacement batteries for something that costed $169, as well as being rolled v 2.0 were coming around the corner. Love my AirPods, but just an 18 mo stellar battery performance is very disappointing when Apple considered then (2017) that their future was wireless. 

Id love to see these tiny things have double the battery life both in use and eve the course of their lifetime. I know that’s asking a lot though. 
  • Reply 19 of 21
    clarker99 said:
    eriamjh said:

It’s actually $69. I spoke to a senior apple support guy, he explained the $49 is for replacement while under warranty (for non-defective excessive use drain), whereas for anyone over a year it’s $69. Same as lost pod. 
  • Reply 20 of 21

gutengel said:
    jcs2305 said:
    clarker99 said:
    eriamjh said:

Well, not by dollars. If one was able to replace each component at $49, that would be 147 vs 159 for new.
    edited February 2019