Amazon acquires mesh Wi-Fi router startup eero as part of smart home push

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I think we’re making a lot of assumptions here, about Amazon monitoring our internet traffic with this device.  Integrating Amazon Dot/Echo with an access point is interesting.  There is some synergy in the products...

That said, I’m not interested in Amazon Echo’s due to privacy concerns, so I’m even less interested now.

But, there are millions of people with Alexa enabled devices (that don’t care) so Amazon likely has a winner.
    Even if they do not monitor your internet traffic (which they can), they can still figure out a LOT of stuff -- such as they know when nobody is at home and when each member of your family returns -- and which devices they are using when they do:   
    cgWerkswatto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 42 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I am so disapointed that Apple seems to be ceding the entire home automation market to others...
    This is a market made for Apple and their skills in integration of multiple devices as well as privacy -- both of which are critical reuirements of this market.

And, connectivity is the heart of the market:   How it monitors and controls the lock on your front door as well as the heat of your furnace.  That connectivity extends from NFC (unlock with an Apple Watch) to Bluetooth and WiFi to broadband so you can control it all from work with your smart phone.

It is significant loss to both Apple and their customers that they have elected to pass.

Or, could they just be waiting for 5G to replace cable,  LTE and WiFi before jumping in?
    edited February 2019 watto_cobrapatchythepirate
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Just before Apple discontinued the airport I bought a Ubiquiti AC Pro and USG.  Haven’t been happier.  Was considering the airport, but based on the rumors of it going away I obviously chose the option I have now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 52
    mobird said:
    After deciding my Apple Airport network wasn't going to see any more love from Apple I went with Synology for my home networking needs.
    There is no way I am going to have Google or Amazon involved with my home network.
    BREAKING NEWS: Google just bought Synology...

Kidding!
    mobirdcgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 52
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 611member
    Since Apple Left Us High & Dry - Synology Or Bust...
    Which model do you use?
  • Reply 46 of 52
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    seanismorris said:
    That’s funny.  China has been monitoring EVERYTHING on the internet for at least a decade.  The Great Firewall of China...
    I’m not saying trust the other companies mentioned (I don’t) but China is on another level.
    For example, better not be a Muslim in China or you’ll be disappeared into a “re-education” camp.  You’re assumed to be a terrorist until proven otherwise, and sometimes not even then.
    I wouldn’t be posting here if I lived in China.
    Yeah, I hear what you're saying. But, I don't know exactly what China is doing, what their motive are, and most importantly, how that will impact me. On the other hand, I do know what Facebook, et. al. are doing, and I know it can and is being used against me. Maybe China is just as dangerous, but I know Facebook, et. al. are!

And, the way things are going in the USA/Canada (heck, most of the 'West'), I don't think we're really all that far behind. We'll probably just be better and more efficient at it than China.

I am so disapointed that Apple seems to be ceding the entire home automation market to others...
    This is a market made for Apple and their skills in integration of multiple devices as well as privacy -- both of which are critical reuirements of this market.
    Or, could they just be waiting for 5G to replace cable,  LTE and WiFi before jumping in?
    I guess I'd chalk this up to pie-chart thinking and other distractibility (ie: AI cars, etc.). I'm sure things like routers, home automation, etc. are pretty darn small pie-slice slivers to the Apple execs.

re: 5G - that sounds like an even bigger nightmare. Health concerns aside, isn't the idea that we won't even have/need WiFi, routers, etc. anymore? We'll just all connect directly to the telco hub with our devices. Boy, now THAT wounds like a good idea... NOT!

SpamSandwich said:
    BREAKING NEWS: Google just bought Synology...
    Kidding!
    Seriously, though... it might be worth considering just buying some flexible/compatible router and loading Tomato or something like that... or maybe finding an Airport Extreme to buy up for now. I guess that doesn't solve the mesh problem, though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 52
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    dedgecko said:
    Whelp... coincidence that I hadnt pulled the plug on an eero purchase this week. So who’s the next best mesh provider!?  Based on the comments here its time to check out synology’s offerings. 
    The Netgear Orbi works great. Two years for me now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 52
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    This is really disappointing to me.  To be honest, I was hoping Apple was going to acquire Eero, their product philosophy and ease of set-up and use was for Apple like.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 52
    I went with Ubiquiti. Enterprise grade design and HW at consumer prices. Very nice stuff.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Aw man, it's very disappointing. Why did Apple not pick up eero? I liked eero's interface along with ease of use. It was apple-like and it just works.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 52
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    claire1 said:
    maestro64 said:
    I am sorry I really do not want the likes of Amazon or Google have this much access in my home. It bad enough that Google and Facebook got caught putting VPN software on people phones which routed all your data through their servers so they can see what you were doing when not using their apps. Think about if they have access to your home network.
    2 problems:

1. 99% of the population do not know this.

2. 50% of the people that do know, don't care.
    Make the second one 49.9%. The remaining 0.1% is those of us who willingly share certain information with certain service providers.

I buy enough from Amazon that I'm willing to share my info in order to get better search results and recommendations. I hate wading through pages and pages of items that are sorta what I want but not quite. If letting Amazon peruse my web browsing will help zero in on my preferences, I figure it works out okay for me.
    Here is what you do not know, Amazon is not giving you the best results, you do realize that the price shown to you is not the same price shown to everyone else. Amazon has gotten really good at setting a price on the fly based on whether they thinks you want the items or not. I have search for an item on my computer logged into my account and got one set of results and prices and did the exact same search on a different computer and not log into my account and got a different result and prices. 

So Amazon discrimates against you since they know you will not go elsewhere, thanks for subsidizing the rest of us.
    watto_cobrapatchythepirate