Apple rumored to launch subscription News at March 25 event, 'AirPods 2' and new iPad mini...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2019
Apple is planning to hold a March 25 press event at the Steve Jobs Theater, located at Apple Park in Cupertino, a report claimed on Tuesday.

Steve Jobs Theater

The event will be "services focused," the highlight being the debut of a paid Apple News subscription, BuzzFeed News said, citing multiple sources. That plan could be called Apple News Magazines, and grant people access to a variety of magazines and newspapers for $10 per month.

Likely missing from the event will be second-generation AirPods or a fifth-generation iPad mini, the report added. Apple has regularly introduced hardware at March events -- earlier today, one questionable story suggested that the AirPods, a new Mini, and more could begin preorders on March 22.

The BuzzFeed sources declined to say anything about Apple's upcoming video streaming service. That service is due to launch in 2019 and has been rumored for the first half of the year, possibly in April if not March. Apple is spending over $1 billion on original shows, such as an adaptation of Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" novels.

One problem faced by Magazines is the company's deals with publishers. The company is allegedly demanding as much as 50 percent of subscription revenue, while simultaneously refusing to hand over more customer data. If terms can't be reached soon, Apple may be forced to push back an announcement.

Ultimately people are expected to have the option of an "Apple Prime" subscription, bundling Magazines, video, and Apple Music.
kent909

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    iPad Mini 5, iPhone SE2, AirPods2, MacPro.
    Or not.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    $10/mo for this, $10/mo for that, $10/mo for Netflix, $10/mo for Hulu, $10/mo for Office 365, $10/mo for Adobe Creative Suite, $10/mo for Quicken, $10/mo for Apple Music, $10/mo for iCloud storage, $10/mo for Amazon Prime... Whew, let’s add things up. I read that Apple has been encouraging developers to move to a subscription business model as the way of the future. It’s all about having a reliable revenue stream I read. What about MY revenue stream, or lack thereof?
    edited February 2019 Roger_Fingasmac_dogbuckalecmwhitemobirddewmen2itivguybitmodMisterKitdavgreg
  • Reply 3 of 36
    No on the video streaming service, not until Q3.

yes on new hardware, as the model numbers have already shown up in iOS...which hardware is the question. ...Mac Pro? That would be a surprise, however, nothing points to being near production, so probably not.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 4 of 36
    "Likely missing from the event will be second-generation AirPods or a fifth-generation iPad mini, the report added."

That still leaves the 7th generation iPad 9.7"
  • Reply 5 of 36
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Note that the March 25 date is also unconfirmed, though likely based on past history. I think a lightly-updated non-pro iPad, the long-awaited AirPower and AirPod wireless case, and News subscriptions are likely, maybe even a nice iWork update if we’re lucky. AirPods 2 (electric boogaloo) maybe, but if I were Apple I’d build a frenzy on that for the late summer or fall.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    DAalseth said:
    iPad Mini 5, iPhone SE2, AirPods2, MacPro.
    Or not.
    Seems unlikely they wouldn't introduce any new hardware, even if this is a media specific event, promoting services -- especially since Apple products are supposed to receive the TV content for free. 

But maybe with the shift in focus on services as a larger part of income, it makes sense. That said, what better mobile device for consuming all this new media than a iPad mini, and an SE 2? ;-)
  • Reply 7 of 36
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    BuzzFeed....really great track record with sources lately.  🤥
    racerhomie3MisterKitAppleExposed
  • Reply 8 of 36
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
    $10/mo for this, $10/mo for that, $10/mo for Netflix, $10/mo for Hulu, $10/mo for Office 365, $10/mo for Adobe Creative Suite, $10/mo for Quicken, $10/mo for Apple Music, $10/mo for iCloud storage, $10/mo for Amazon Prime... Whew, let’s add things up. I read that Apple has been encouraging developers to move to a subscription business model as the way of the future. It’s all about having a reliable revenue stream I read. What about MY revenue stream, or lack thereof?
    You’ve been around her long enough to know that if you are not a rich Apple customer who is willing to pay for Apple’s services you need to use Google’s free advertising supported applications and services.   Switch to Android.  Use google news.

• Reply 9 of 36
    k2kw said:
    lkrupp said:
    You’ve been around her long enough to know that if you are not a rich Apple customer who is willing to pay for Apple’s services you need to use Google’s free advertising supported applications and services.   Switch to Android.  Use google news.

Or you could never touch anything Google with a 100ft pole...I don't want my identity sold to the highest bidder. No thanks!
    StrangeDaysbuzdotsn2itivguybestkeptsecretAppleExposed
  • Reply 10 of 36
    maybe the updated iPod?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 11 of 36
    How about a new MacBook Pro with a FUNCTIONING KEYBOARD AND SCREEN? WOULDN'T THAT BE A SPLENDID IDEA?
    davgregh2p
  • Reply 12 of 36
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    lkrupp said:
    $80/month gets you, Netflix, Hulu, Office 365, Adobe Creative Suite, Quicken, Apple Music and iCloud storage and Amazon Prime.  Minus $80/month to cancel you cable subscription...  I’d call that a win. 
    bshankn2itivguy
  • Reply 13 of 36
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    k2kw said:
    lkrupp said:

Only two out of the eight $10/month services he listed are Apple services.  
    macxpressfastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 36
    The MOST important thing to me is that Apple keep my name and email address from the news companies. I would eagerly and happily pay $10/month (probably $20 if the selection was good) starting the first day of availability as long as Apple protects my identity. I absolutely would never pay $10/month for each individual newspaper that has asked me for my name and my money. The only way I would purchase directly from a newspaper is if they had a way I could buy their service without giving them my email address, and if their prices were a little more affordable. But they have made no effort to take my money without taking my address.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 15 of 36
    jgojcaj said:
    How about a new MacBook Pro with a FUNCTIONING KEYBOARD AND SCREEN? WOULDN'T THAT BE A SPLENDID IDEA?
    You mean the current MacBook Pro? No issues with that...
    edited February 2019 bshankMisterKitAppleExposedfastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 36
    k2kw said:
    lkrupp said:
    Huh? iWork suite is free. iCloud is $1/mo. Hardly have to “be rich” to not use google’s data-mining crap. 
    bshankn2itivguymacxpressAppleExposedpatchythepiratefastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 36

jgojcaj said:
    Keyboard works fine, what are you talking about? AI has published their own source’s repair incident data, and it’s completely normal. You’re falling for the hate train. 
    davgregAppleExposedfastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 36
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    lkrupp said:
    Or you could have a bunch of cruddy apps and services you paid $0.99 one time that eventually get no updates
  • Reply 19 of 36
    I can think of no reason to pay any money for the news on the Internet. As long as there is ad based content always available.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    I hope it's an $18,000 iMac with 2017 technology... *fingers crossed*
    harry wild