Apple looking at April launch of video streaming service

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2019
Apple's long-awaited video streaming service is set for an April debut, according to a new report, but with some industry stalwarts missing.

Apple is reportedly set to launch the service in April, which has been in the works for some time. Early holdouts are said to include HBO and Netflix, with a new report claiming that saying that the service will resemble the implementation used for Amazon Prime's Video Channels.

CBS, Viacom, and Starz are all said to be on-board with streaming, according to sources familiar with the matter speaking to CNBC. Apple also has a large amount of unique content in varying stages of production.

An Apple release event is predicted to happen at the end of March, with a debut of a subscription news service. Should the April date be accurate, it is likely that Apple will announce its streaming service, and possibly a full subscription plan that analysts have been clamoring for at the same time.

Apple has been working on a push for original video content for some time, including spending at least a billion dollars on the project so far. It is thought that the first shows from the effort will make an appearance in the next few months, but it is still unclear how it will take form.

It has been suggested there could be a subscription streaming service bundle with Apple Music and other content. Other rumors postulate that it could be a free perk for Apple-device owners, with third-party subscription-based streaming services offered alongside it.

While the project remains a partial mystery, Apple CEO Tim Cook did reaffirm the company's commitment during a conference call for its most recent quarterly results. As well as affirming a commitment to the Apple TV, Cook hinted towards its original video content plans.

"We will participate in the original content world. We've signed a multi-year partnership with Oprah," Cook said. "Today I'm not really ready to extend that conversation beyond that point. We've hired some people we have a super amount of confidence in. They're working on that really hard. We'll have more to say on that later."

While the potential service could involve accessing streaming services from other content providers, at one point there was the possibility of Apple offering the streams directly. A few years ago, Apple was reportedly in talks to create just such a service, but evidently it decides against such a move, in favor of creating its own original content.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I kinda don't get it. You can subscribe and stream HBO on Apple TV right now. It was actually the centerpiece of an Apple event some time ago. I actually don't understand the point of this as a consumer. Is the expectation about the original content they will be unveiling? Or something else?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    I’m guessing that, like Hulu, Netflix and Amazon, the point would be that anyone could sign up with any device... not just AppleTV. So you could sign up for it on a Roku for instance. But if you already have an AppleTV with HBO Now and Showtime subscriptions... (that can share it’s content in the TV app and Up Next) then I don’t think there’s any point. Unless it’s cheaper.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Can we say that Apple's upcoming streaming video service is similar to Apple's upcoming news service and Apple's existing streaming music service, in the sense that we pay Apple for [mostly] someone else's content (video, news, music)? Is there any chance Apple might bundle its services at a lower price? Another question: "news" usually comes both in text form and in video form, so would a video news channel sell their product on the Apple News service or on the Apple Streaming Video service?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    I have a bad feeling about this and from the very beginning of reading articles on the likes of AI, this whole "Apple intends to spend ("invest") $1B on original content" just didn't seem to be practical or feel copacetic to me. Felt more like a need to stroke some egos... What will Tim Cook be wearing on the Red Carpet???

Apple Music is a complete mess to begin with and needs a complete overhaul in every aspect. If Apple Music is so important to Apple, consideration should be given to investing in the platform. Apple doesn't need personalities from the industry, they need people with real experience from the record retail industry that was in full tilt boogie during the '70's. Apple Music needs to be the ultimate one-source Artist/Music depository. And come on Apple, give me a break, up the damn quality of the stream, owners of the HomePod will thank you! - oh and by the way, they shouldn't have to pay any additional amount for the higher quality stream.

Apple should consider the acquisition of Tidal.

This video streaming service is a complete distraction that Apple doesn't need. Another "me too" move by Apple.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 5 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    mobird said:
    I have a bad feeling about this and from the very beginning of reading articles on the likes of AI, this whole "Apple intends to spend ("invest") $1B on original content" just didn't seem to be practical or feel copacetic to me. Felt more like a need to stroke some egos... What will Tim Cook be wearing on the Red Carpet???

Apple Music is a complete mess to begin with and needs a complete overhaul in every aspect. If Apple Music is so important to Apple, consideration should be given to investing in the platform. Apple doesn't need personalities from the industry, they need people with real experience from the record retail industry that was in full tilt boogie during the '70's. Apple Music needs to be the ultimate one-source Artist/Music depository.

This streaming service is a complete distraction that Apple doesn't need. Another "me too" move by Apple.
    Considering Apple music is 2nd in subscribers and more than likely #1 in profits, I think it's a success and at least let Apple try their hand at Video and News before declaring doom.

The Tidal acquisition sounded like a good idea 4 years ago.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    takeo said:
    I’m guessing that, like Hulu, Netflix and Amazon, the point would be that anyone could sign up with any device... not just AppleTV. So you could sign up for it on a Roku for instance. But if you already have an AppleTV with HBO Now and Showtime subscriptions... (that can share it’s content in the TV app and Up Next) then I don’t think there’s any point. Unless it’s cheaper.
    Yes. We already know this because of the recently announced CES products that will support AirPLay 2 and iTunes. Apple will almost certainly announce how many platforms their app will be supported on, along with previewing their content, and announcing subscription packages. That's why I suspect they will also introduce some low-cost halo products which will not only stream their content, but also give customers free access to their original shows. The rumored streaming stick, the Apple TV which is almost surely going to introduce some new features, an iPad mini, and an iPod Touch. Maybe even an SE2. 

The bundling of separate apps is going to come later. But I don't really see it being much different than what's available through Amazon, other than the convenience of being billed entirely through your Apple ID account.
    cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 21
    eightzero said:
    I kinda don't get it. You can subscribe and stream HBO on Apple TV right now. It was actually the centerpiece of an Apple event some time ago. I actually don't understand the point of this as a consumer. Is the expectation about the original content they will be unveiling? Or something else?
    Yes the original content, but the HBO thing still requires you to go to their website to activate, etc. If you’ve done subscriptions through Amazon for example, it all happens in the app if I recall. More tightly integrated.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    mobird said:

Apple Music is a complete mess to begin with and needs a complete overhaul in every aspect. If Apple Music is so important to Apple, consideration should be given to investing in the platform. Apple doesn't need personalities from the industry, they need people with real experience from the record retail industry that was in full tilt boogie during the '70's. Apple Music needs to be the ultimate one-source Artist/Music depository. And come on Apple, give me a break, up the damn quality of the stream, owners of the HomePod will thank you! - oh and by the way, they shouldn't have to pay any additional amount for the higher quality stream.

This video streaming service is a complete distraction that Apple doesn't need. Another "me too" move by Apple.
    To provide another perspective, services income can be derived from multiple areas and video streaming is one of those areas and would potentially provide a big income stream. For them to ignore it would be a capital generating mistake. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 21
    eightzero said:

I suppose it’s like Amazon Prime where you can sign up for other subscriptions like HBO and then watch through Amazon Prime. I don’t get it either other than perhaps the convenience of having everything all in one place. Though I get why Apple would want it as they’d get a cut of any signups via the TV app.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    mobird said:

Apple Music is a complete mess to begin with and needs a complete overhaul in every aspect. If Apple Music is so important to Apple, consideration should be given to investing in the platform. Apple doesn't need personalities from the industry, they need people with real experience from the record retail industry that was in full tilt boogie during the '70's. Apple Music needs to be the ultimate one-source Artist/Music depository.

This streaming service is a complete distraction that Apple doesn't need. Another "me too" move by Apple.
    F*** Tidal.  Which is all your comment was really about.  B)   I would comment on the rest of what wrote, but it doesn't make sense after you mention the record retail industry that was in full tilt boogie 40 years ago...

It's amazing how judgemental and in the know you seem to think you are when nothing has actually been officially announced with this streaming service.

AppleExposedn2itivguylolliver
  • Reply 11 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mobird said:

Hilarious post! My Diet Coke squirted out of my nose from laughing so hard at the shear blathering nonsense of it. 
    n2itivguyboltsfan17lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 21
    mobird said:

The 70’s? TIDAL?? Oh boy.
    lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    jcs2305 said:
    mobird said:

F*** Tidal.  Which is all your comment was really about.  B)   I would comment on the rest of what wrote, but it doesn't make sense after you mention the record retail industry that was in full tilt boogie 40 years ago...

It's amazing how judgemental and in the know you seem to think you are when nothing has actually been officially announced with this streaming service.

haha I didn't have the energy to reply to the 70s bit because I knew others would point it out.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    ThrashmanThrashman Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    Don’t worry guys - we have Oprah 
  • Reply 15 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I have already downsized my streaming subscriptions, cancelling Netflix and Hulu. Right now I have CBS All Access and that’s only because of Star Trek: Discovery. When the season is over I’ll cancel CBS too. My Spectrum bundle gives me the channels I like plus I can watch most content on demand on the Apple TV with Spectrum’s and Apple’s Zero Sign On. If I miss something I can just watch it on demand. Apple’s service had better be really good for me to consider cutting the cord.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    takeo said:
    I thought the same..
  • Reply 17 of 21
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    eightzero said:
    Yes the original content, but the HBO thing still requires you to go to their website to activate, etc. If you’ve done subscriptions through Amazon for example, it all happens in the app if I recall. More tightly integrated.
    I did the HBO thing for one month. My recollection is I managed that subscription via iTunes.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    I did the HBO thing for one month. My recollection is I managed that subscription via iTunes.
    When you start the subscription, you have to create an account with HBO and go to an /activate URL and enter a pin on the ATV. I remember this last time I reinstated my subscription because I had to go grab my laptop to do this as the site didn't work on iPad. It was annoying, not super difficult, but this would reduce entry barriers. You can cancel your subscription via iTunes after that though.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    lkrupp said:
    I have already downsized my streaming subscriptions, cancelling Netflix and Hulu. Right now I have CBS All Access and that’s only because of Star Trek: Discovery. When the season is over I’ll cancel CBS too. My Spectrum bundle gives me the channels I like plus I can watch most content on demand on the Apple TV with Spectrum’s and Apple’s Zero Sign On. If I miss something I can just watch it on demand. Apple’s service had better be really good for me to consider cutting the cord.
    Side question for you...

If you have Spectrum, are you only able to access the shows via the Spectrum TV app and On Demand?  Or are you able to also sign in and watch shows on the Network's individual apps as well?

I ask because we currently have AT&T U-verse.  I'm constantly getting rejection messages that say "your current subscription does not provide access to this content, blablabla."  We then will log in with a family members Xfinity account and we are able to get everything.  Frustrating, especially since i have one of the higher tier of channel counts with U-verse.  I'm assuming it wouldn't matter as much since it would be consolidated all in the Spectrum App, but some of those apps offer additional content, seasons, etc.  Prime example is Disney Channel - my kids can access hundreds of episodes on the Disney Now app with the Xfinity account.

Also - How is the live TV on the Spectrum TV app? Good quality?

Thanks!!
    Brian  
  • Reply 20 of 21
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    eightzero said:
    On the Apple TV, you can sign up for the Stand alone HBO app. If you have Amazon Prime you can also sign up for HBO (and other channels) through Amazon Prime as well. The benefit there is if you prefer Amazon's app, you can also access HBO content through the Amazon App. So what I am taking this to mean is that companies like HBO aren't willing to license Apple their content to use within Apple's App like they are doing for Amazon or they are holding out for better terms. You will likely still be able to access HBO through the Stand alone App, which in truth I prefer. 

Netflix not agreeing to it doesn't surprise me, as they don't even support Apple's Apple TV Watch app. This drives me nuts, as the App is super convenient for accessing your recent content. 

So what I am guessing is the Apple Service will be similar to Amazon's Service in that it will offer basic content for a particular price, but allow you to add channels for an added on cost. I suspect Apple's version will be visually better, as Amazon's interface and organization is pretty poor compared to other Apps like Netflix or HBO. 

I hope Apple offers a plan that includes Apple Music, the video service, and iCloud storage.