Disney boots Apple off top US spot in 2019 'Brand Intimacy' study

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2019
Entertainment megacorporation Disney has, for the first time, replaced Apple at the top of MBLM's annual "Brand Intimacy" study in the U.S., gauging the emotional attachments manufactured by brands.

Apple TV and Star Wars

Disney did well because of its nostalgic associations, and the "strong bonds it builds with both men and women and across a variety of age groups," MBLM said. Apple meanwhile "lost some luster" because of "well-publicized missteps and consumer gadget fatigue," the firm explained. Amazon, Chevrolet, Netflix, Harley-Davidson, PlayStation, YouTube, Ford, and Chick-fil-A rounded out the top 10.

To create the U.S. rankings 6,200 people were polled during 2018. Respondents were limited to those aged 18 to 64, and household income of $35,000 or higher. In separate polls in Mexico and the United Arab Emirates, Apple retained first place.

It's not clear what specific Apple mis-steps MBLM is referring to. The company has dealt with a variety of incidents in the past year though, such as the controversy over throttled performance for iPhones with weakened batteries. Under public pressure Apple was forced to make that throttling optional and offer discounted battery replacements. It was also hit with a number of legal actions, including a fine by the Italian government

Both Apple and Amazon did well with younger demographics, like last year, MBLM noted. In terms of class, Apple was the top brand among people making between $100,000 and $200,000 per year -- people below that income picked Amazon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Glad to see Apples partner at the top.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Does the term "brand intimacy" creep any out or is ti just me?
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    I couldn't care less what "brand intimacy" is about.  All I know is that when it comes down to things that matter, like privacy and security, I know that Apple has my back. The slew of devices coming out like Samsung's iTunes-compatible TV's have me worried.  While I trust Apple to keep my credentials secure, 3rd-party folks that place security and privacy on the back-burner can wreak all kinds of havoc.

Those that know Apple know this is just a 15-minute fad piece.
    jony0
  • Reply 4 of 9
    what is brand intimacy and why does anyone care?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Interesting that the only other device maker in the top ten is Amazon (#3, with a score close to #2 Apple). The term "brand intimacy" is cringe-worthy. The top car makers in the list (Chevy and Ford) have significantly lower scores. Would have expected other car/truck makers to have had higher scores in the US ratings (Fiat-Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, VW) - some are listed in the 10-20 grouping. Wonder about the detailed demographic breakdown of those surveyed. Don't believe "brand intimacy" squares with either long-term quality, reliability or ease of use.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Greepy group of main chancers comes up with a sleepy brand classsification system, and promotes itself by “dropping” Apple from the top spot. Media interest ensures.

Which is the worst profession, politician, journalist or advertiser?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Apple meanwhile "lost some luster" because of "well-publicized missteps and consumer gadget fatigue," the firm explained.
    Yes, because there are more people willing to go all the way to publish negative things about Apple, even it they are mostly lies?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    normang said:
    what is brand intimacy and why does anyone care?
    In Disney's case, I guess it means being fleeced. Having just booked a night and a day at a Disney World resort for the wife and myself and our granddaughter I can guess it means overcharging to a level that is beyond belief and then having the temerity to explain you won't actually get on any rides unless you use their Fast Track app that lets you jump the line a few times ... then you are the ones standing in line and being passed the rest of the time ... Jeez.  I remember when it was a pleasant experience.
    edited February 2019