Samsung poised to challenge Apple at retail in US with first full-scale stores

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    spice-boy said:
    Ssmsung makes very good tvs, appliances and more importantly phones which rival the iPhone. Consumers are fickle and the once fetish like product iPhone is just another mobile phone option although very expensive one at that. Think about with the release of every iPhone a Samsung is used at the best comparison by tech critics. I am not ready to switch to Samsung I just believe a younger generation does not necessarily feel they owe anything to Apple or it's products.
    I have a really old Samsung Plasma TV and it’s really great! Top-notch!  When I purchase my most recent TV (OLED 4K) I had to go with LG - the quality was that much better.

My Samsung washer and dryer work fine but have been repaired under warranty more than once.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Perhaps this is in anticipation of 5G interconnectivity and they will showcase a wide range of products from refrigerators to smartphones, all made by Samsung all communicating.  That's something Apple won't be able to do as easily.  
    If they stock their store with large items like home applicancs I think they’ll fail. Those items are large, dont sell in great numbers, aren’t a major draw like CE, and would have logisticsl issues in a typical store like Apple uses.

i can see Samsung noting they have TV and home appliances, but I’d wager the focus will be on smartphones, headphones, tablets, PCs, and other CE.
    That was my thought - Apple has a relatively narrow product line (personal tech.) Samsung makes Phones, TVs, Microwaves, washing machines, dishwashers, refrigerators, Vacuum cleaners...  Many of their products are good, but it's hard to have such a broad range of products in a branded store. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Dave Kap said:
    mknelson said:
    Dave Kap said:
    “Poised to challenge” with three stores?  Click-baitly headline?
    I'm thinking more of a challenge to traditional electronics stores rather than Apple.
    I think you are correct but they’ll need a whole lot more than 3 stores to challenge anybody! :)

The amount is irrelevant if they become like Microsoft stores, empty. Which has already been proven for Sammy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 39
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Samsung missed a step. They usually mock Apple right before they copy Apple.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    linkman said:
    Samsung missed a step. They usually mock Apple right before they copy Apple.

2 for one. Mocking Apple Stores and no headphone jack. They copied both with less success.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39

Dave Kap said:
    spice-boy said:
    Ssmsung makes very good tvs, appliances and more importantly phones which rival the iPhone. Consumers are fickle and the once fetish like product iPhone is just another mobile phone option although very expensive one at that. Think about with the release of every iPhone a Samsung is used at the best comparison by tech critics. I am not ready to switch to Samsung I just believe a younger generation does not necessarily feel they owe anything to Apple or it's products.
    I have a really old Samsung Plasma TV and it’s really great! Top-notch!  When I purchase my most recent TV (OLED 4K) I had to go with LG - the quality was that much better.

My Samsung washer and dryer work fine but have been repaired under warranty more than once.

Did they explode?

https://www.cnet.com/news/certain-samsung-washing-machines-exploding-report-says/

watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    spice-boy said:
    Samsung quality is less than stellar, and they make TV's which appear to look good, and are great bug catcher on the walls of TV in BestBuy (People are drawn to the bright pretty colors).  I guess you have not heard about all their quality issue on their washer and dryers and I heard lots of complaint about other appliances with multiply failures in and out of warrant. Yeah most people do not put much value on quality until they spend lots of money on the item. Younger people buying something cheap and replacing it 10 time may not be noticed, buying a $1000 items and finding it does not last as long as you would like the decision process changes and people begin worrying about quality.

Apple continues to convert Android users, why most site the overall user experience and the fact Apple products last longer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39

Dave Kap said:
    spice-boy said:

Did they explode?

https://www.cnet.com/news/certain-samsung-washing-machines-exploding-report-says/

No they did not explode, but they were repaired before they could.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    At Carindale shopping centre the Apple store is large and always stuffed full of people. It is a madhouse from opening until closing.  

50 metres away is a Samsung galaxy booth in the mall corridor. At best it has three staff and I have never seen more than two customers. The difference between Apple level service and Samsung service is apparently night and day, Apple, about 40 minutes to get your phone fixed, Samsung they send it away.  

If Samsung has a full size store it would have to include tvs, fridges other appliances etc or it would not be worthwhile. With those though it might be reasonably successful, kind of a down market Bose store.

That said, How it would be competitive up against appliance chain stores I don’t know. How do they compete without pissing off their current retailers? Apple does it by not discounting against the other retailers, but that is not the Samsung way. You would be nuts to pay full price for Samsung, you can always get it at a discount.
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 39
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    entropys said:
    At Carindale shopping centre the Apple store is large and always stuffed full of people. It is a madhouse from opening until closing.  

50 metres away is a Samsung galaxy booth in the mall corridor. At best it has three staff and I have never seen more than two customers. The difference between Apple level service and Samsung service is apparently night and day, Apple, about 40 minutes to get your phone fixed, Samsung they send it away.  

If Samsung has a full size store it would have to include tvs, fridges other appliances etc or it would not be worthwhile. With those though it might be reasonably successful, kind of a down market Bose store.

That said, How it would be competitive up against appliance chain stores I don’t know. How do they compete without pissing off their current retailers? Apple does it by not discounting against the other retailers, but that is not the Samsung way. You would be nuts to pay full price for Samsung, you can always get it at a discount.
    Why wouldn't be worthwhile to sell their smartphones, headphones, laptops, desktops, tablets, and other CE? They have a lot more products in the CE arena than Apple.

What benefit is offered by stocking all those home appliances? People aren't drawn to stores like with the latest Galaxy products. It's already weird enough when you see someone come into an Apple Store with a 5K iMac for help so I can't imagine someone trying to bring back their refrigerator to get service from their on-site support.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    mknelson said:
    Dave Kap said:
    “Poised to challenge” with three stores?  Click-baitly headline?
    I'm thinking more of a challenge to traditional electronics stores rather than Apple.
    "Samsung poised to challenge Apple at retail" -- thats what the headline says. With 3 stores, it's a curious choice of words.

• Reply 32 of 39
    They're not 'taking-on' Apple. They're taking-on Best-Buy, Walmart, Target and Amazon! 

Fail! :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39

When my knockoff device breaks I'll be sure to stop in and get help from a Samsung Smarty Pants.
    christopher126watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    Perhaps this is in anticipation of 5G interconnectivity and they will showcase a wide range of products from refrigerators to smartphones, all made by Samsung all communicating.  That's something Apple won't be able to do as easily.  
    If they stock their store with large items like home applicancs I think they’ll fail. Those items are large, dont sell in great numbers, aren’t a major draw like CE, and would have logisticsl issues in a typical store like Apple uses.

i can see Samsung noting they have TV and home appliances, but I’d wager the focus will be on smartphones, headphones, tablets, PCs, and other CE.
    Good heavens, I wasn't suggesting they'd be trying to sell white goods etc., sorry, I assumed that was obvious. However,  simply showing connectivity that's the point here.  That's coming with 5G and Apple need to be on top of this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 39
    "Poised to challenge" with three stores? A bit of an oversell, I would think. It will be interesting to see if this works for Samsung, but they have a long way to go to achieve the kind of success the Apple Stores have had.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    If Samsung can push out updates the way that Apple does then they might compete and since that’s doubtful because don’t forget Samsung, updates from you are not pushed out because of Android. But I also agree with the comments that if they try to sell other products such as washing machines and refrigerators in the stores then it’s not going to work. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 39
    When we moved into our current house last year, the kitchen was already outfitted with matching stainless steel Samsung refrigerator, stove, microwave, and dishwasher. All four appliances less than 5 years old. About a month in to living here, the condenser on the refrigerator froze completely solid, and the freezer and refrigerator stopped working completely--the repair guy that came out to fix it informed me that this is a common issue with Samsung refrigerators. The stove has burners that get clogged VERY easily no matter how hard we try to keep them clean (somehow the inspectors didn't mention this when we bought the house) and the stove clock can't keep time. When I set it for the correct time, it's 20 minutes ahead of the correct time by the end of the day. In the last few months, the dishwasher has started leaking as well. The microwave is fine, but I hate it because the panel on it is so convoluted and poorly designed that I still have trouble finding the buttons I need when I use it, and that's after using it for a year. 

Also, and I know some of you will call BS on this part because the timing is suspect (I swear it's true), but we got home from a road trip last night and went to turn on our Samsung TV to wind down for the weekend and catch up on some shows. The screen came on, the Apple TV came on, and then the power LED on the TV flashed about 4 times and turned off. I tried to turn it back on with the remote, got another couple of flashes, and then nothing. I unplugged the TV completely for about 30 seconds, plugged it back in, tried to turn it back on, nothing. After some Googling, it sounds like this is a common issue with Samsung TVs and the circuit panel in the back is most likely fried. The TV is only about 6 years old. What a complete joke.

Needless to say, I don't care what products Samsung releases or how many stores they open. I will never voluntarily buy Samsung appliances or consumer electronics again. I don't care how good the picture is on the TVs, I don't care how fancy their appliances look, and I don't care how much they try to shame Apple with their advertising. They are an inferior brand. 
  • Reply 38 of 39
    we have these stores over here in Korea. I see them sometimes pumping the new phone, or pumping the new watch and these places are empty. Korea is ridiculously patriotic in that they buy a lot of Korean made over foreign, but that is changing with the younger and richer crowds. I bet a tonne of money that the Samsung store will do as well as the Microsoft stores.
    watto_cobra