Apple's video service availability may be months after reveal, potentially as late as fall...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2019
Although Apple is now widely predicted to reveal its streaming video service on March 25, the actual launch could still be months away, a report said on Thursday.

The service may not be ready until summer 2019 or even the fall, sources claimed to Variety. The March 25 event should instead highlight some of Apple's upcoming shows, such as the untitled morning show drama starring Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, and Steve Carrell. Celebrities like Witherspoon, Aniston, J.J. Abrams, and Jennifer Garner may make in-person appearances.

Specific plans for the event may remain in flux right up until it begins, the sources cautioned.

The people further noted that Apple is gearing up marketing campaigns not just for the service but the shows themselves. While the company only occasionally produces commercials for individual artists and albums on Apple Music, actors, directors, and studios would likely protest if their shows were treated as just another viewing option.

Variety echoed earlier reports that Apple will sell access to third-party subscription services from companies like CBS and Viacom. HBO is in talks and should eventually join, its sources said, but two of Apple's biggest competitors -- Netflix and Hulu -- are believed to be definite holdouts.

Apple and Hulu alike are following a model established by Amazon Channels. Amazon customers can subscribe to multiple services from the same place, making payments easier while centralizing viewing in Prime Video.

Apple's original content could initially be free to people that buy its devices. Either way, though, the company is thought to be searching for "tentpole" shows that could sustain a paid plan, much in the same way that people will spend on HBO Now for access to "Game of Thrones." The company is even rumored to be ditching family-friendly content rules that have blocked earlier projects.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    doesn’t make much sense to unveil something that early. People won’t postpone streaming for 6 month. They would just sign up other streaming monthly until Apple stuff is ready
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mubaili said:
    doesn’t make much sense to unveil something that early. People won’t postpone streaming for 6 month. They would just sign up other streaming monthly until Apple stuff is ready
    So nothing changes then. 
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Apple is years behind the competition.  Netflix has an enormous amount of original content, and it’s surprisingly decent.

I’ll probably give Apple a shot in a free trial, but between Amazon Prime Video (free) and Netflix it’s an uphill battle.

I did try to rent a movie from Apple recently, but had to request a refund.  Can’t stream/download a movie without a WiFi connection?  How stupid is that...

I may not even get as far as a free trial...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    With 1.4 billion devices out in the wild Apple will certainly draw a sizable share of cord cutters, but it will never come close to Netflix.  Spotify is a comparatively weak rival next to Netflix, and that hasn't been an easy battle. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Well at least it looks like Apple is going to launch it effectively (announce and hype now, tease and build up expectations until releasing in the Fall). 

I'm still not sure why Apple is doing this, but hopefully there will be some good shows. I'm cautiously optimistic now after learning that Rob McElhenny (creator of its always sunny in philidelphia) is doing a show.

If it's good enough I'm hoping to be able to ditch neftlix and hulu. Both have reached delusional level SJW status, and it's getting obnoxious. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The company is rumored to be ditching rumors. And that the company is “gearing up marketing campaigns not just for the service but the shows themselves”, may be the least surprising sentence I have ever read about Apple.
    edited February 2019 mac_128
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mubaili said:
    It would be to build hype and to market the crap out of it. Not because it’s not ready. But to tease the release to have people desire something they would be fine without.
    mac_128muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Apple is years behind the competition.  Netflix has an enormous amount of original content, and it’s surprisingly decent.

I’ll probably give Apple a shot in a free trial, but between Amazon Prime Video (free) and Netflix it’s an uphill battle.

I did try to rent a movie from Apple recently, but had to request a refund.  Can’t stream/download a movie without a WiFi connection?  How stupid is that...

Netflix has a lot of garbage original content, too, IMO. Seeing what sticks to the wall doesn’t work for video content and that’s what Netflix is all about. Also Netflix’s business practices such as rearranging My List every time I visit it after viewing an individual show page, to trick you into watching other stuff, is annoying and anti-user. Netflix increasingly treats their users like garbage.
    edited February 2019 mac_128bonobobmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 12
    ireland said:

Netflix has a lot of garbage original content, too, IMO. Seeing what sticks to the wall doesn’t work for video content and that’s what Netflix is all about. Also Netflix’s business practices such as rearranging My List every time I visit it after viewing an individual show page, to trick you into watching other stuff, is annoying and anti-user. Netflix increasingly treats their users like garbage.
    The Netflix user experience is, without question, utterly obnoxious, but I gotta admit I've been pretty impressed with the lineup. Netflix has hooked me with new shows WAAAAY more often than the traditional TV networks.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 12
    ireland said:

Netflix actually has a lot of award winning original content.  They are not tricking you into watching other stuff, they are providing additional suggestions, and Apple does the same thing on AppleTV, constantly.  Apple treats their users just like garbage too with constant Apple Music 'ads' in iOS.  Remember when Apple dumped a U2 album on every iTunes user without their permission?  When I turn off the Apple Music feature in settings, that does not give Apple the right to continually bomb users with Apple Music ads in the iTunes Store and the Music app.
  • Reply 11 of 12

ireland said:
    mubaili said:
    It would be to build hype and to market the crap out of it. Not because it’s not ready. But to tease the release to have people desire something they would be fine without.
    No, that's not it.  Apple's track record is to announce a product that is not even close to being ready, and then do nothing for months, and release a half-baked product.  Let's see what they have done so far.  Carpool Karaoke has been a complete failure, and they actually ruined it by buying the rights to it.  Announcing possible shows with a bunch of D-list actors and claiming that all content will only be family-friendly is already backfiring on them.  They cannot get the major players on board because the major players do not need any help from Apple when Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime already provide a better service and better options.  I have zero interest in an Apple streaming service, and I would imagine most consumers are not interested either with the way Apple has been promoting it so far.  With the March event coming up, people are already showing no interest in it because it will be about services only, with no new hardware releases.  
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ireland said:

Netflix actually has a lot of award winning original content.  They are not tricking you into watching other stuff, they are providing additional suggestions, and Apple does the same thing on AppleTV, constantly.  Apple treats their users just like garbage too with constant Apple Music 'ads' in iOS.  Remember when Apple dumped a U2 album on every iTunes user without their permission?  When I turn off the Apple Music feature in settings, that does not give Apple the right to continually bomb users with Apple Music ads in the iTunes Store and the Music app.
    Apple is much better than Netflix on the desktop, but with the latest generation of TV it's definitely giving Netflix some competition for the title of "Most Annoying." If one only ever used iTunes on a computer, one might think Apple's media delivery platform is pretty good. It's only on the TV and iOS that it goes awry.