'AirPods 2' rumored to launch in spring alongside AirPower, feature new black color option...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Echoing earlier rumors, a report claimed on Friday that Apple will ship second-generation AirPods product this spring, including a new black color option.

Custom-painted original AirPods.
Custom-painted original AirPods.

The second-gen AirPods are already in production at Apple partner Inventec, the Chinese-language Economic Daily News said. Apple is also allegedly using a new exterior material for both the earbuds and the charging case, providing better grip.

Shipping alongside updated AirPods will be the long-delayed AirPower charging mat, the report added. Apple first teased the AirPower alongside the iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X in 2017. The product incorporates in-house technology allowing simultaneous charging of multiple devices, including Qi-compliant iPhones, the Apple Watch and an as-yet-unreleased AirPods wireless charging case.

At one point expected to debut with the iPhone XS and XR last year, AirPower ultimately missed a 2018 launch window completely. Rumors pinned the delay on unforeseen heat and interference issues. Apple has remained mum on the accessory's fate and the company has scrubbed nearly all mentions of the product from its website.

The company could conceivably launch new AirPods and AirPower on or around a March 25 press event focusing on video streaming and Apple News subscriptions. Other rumors, though, have indicated that updated AirPods might not ship until fall 2019.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Got it. Either the price is same as AirPod1 or enhanced AirPod 1 with audio like airPod2 at lower price and AirPod 2 becomes health device at bit higher price. Point is make two versions of AirPods at two different price point.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    wood1208 said:
    Got it. Either the price is same as AirPod1 or enhanced AirPod 1 with audio like airPod2 at lower price and AirPod 2 becomes health device at bit higher price. Point is make two versions of AirPods at two different price point.

No! Please no more!!

If you're gonna repost, here's my repost:

Make Airpower with rechargeable internal battery to be used without an outlet like portable battery chargers.

Rename it AirPad

• Reply 3 of 30
    Fall launch, Spring launch, no....Fall launch, now Spring...everyday its a different report 
  • Reply 4 of 30
    AirPods = Apple’s 3rd coolest product 

They were a huge hit at Christmas...
    christopher126AppleExposedGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Spring launch would be nice. Definitely updating my first gen pair with the black option. 
  • Reply 6 of 30

Just found out they're the 2nd most successful Apple product.

"Apple died with Steve"
    "Apple can't innovate"
    "Tim isn't a visionary"

etc. etc.
    GeorgeBMacanome
  • Reply 7 of 30
    I’d get black ones but lol I’m sure you’d wait months for them. It’s not urgent for me so I’ll wait but will snap them up when they arrive. I agree with MKBHD - matte black everything!!
  • Reply 8 of 30
    I've been waiting for the black ones for almost 2 years now. Love the original but black would be cool.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    The black option will function exactly the same but cost $100 more, right?

;) 
    edited February 2019 mac_128
  • Reply 10 of 30

;) 
    So… you rushed to make that joke about Apple pricing because… all their other black versions of anything have a higher pricepoint… or…?
    AppleExposedchiaGeorgeBMacStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 11 of 30
    svanstrom said:

;) 
    So… you rushed to make that joke about Apple pricing because… all their other black versions of anything have a higher pricepoint… or…?
    I'm sure he meant it in a lighthearted way but the meme is getting ridiculous.

As if Apple offers nothing in their pricing.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 30
    svanstrom said:

;) 
    I'm sure he meant it in a lighthearted way but the meme is getting ridiculous.

As if Apple offers nothing in their pricing.
    To be fair, that’s exactly what Apple did with the black MacBook back in the day. Exact same internal specs, but higher price strictly because of color. Although that is the one and only product I know of that they’ve ever done that. (And to be fair to Apple, it did look super cool!)
    edited February 2019 zeus423mac_128
  • Reply 13 of 30
    svanstrom said:

;) 
    I take it you don’t remember the MacBook that came in either black or white and the black option was significantly more expensive but technically the same and only different in color. 
    zeus423mac_128
  • Reply 14 of 30
    svanstrom said: So… you rushed to make that joke about Apple pricing because… all their other black versions of anything have a higher pricepoint… or…?
    Priced the different colors of Magic Keyboards, Mice, and Trackpads recently?
    stompyzeus423mac_128
  • Reply 15 of 30
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Apparently everyone will be getting the AirPods 2 in black, including me. But is anyone interested in, or aware of any rumors of a black AirPower option? I would definitely pick up one of those. Perhaps the upcoming dark mode along with the black HomePod and AirPods might suggest that Apple could offer us that choice with AirPower as well. 
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Once you go bl … never mind. 
    GeorgeBMacLordeHawk
  • Reply 17 of 30
    svanstrom said:

;) 
    Black MacBooks cost an extra $100 if I remember correctly, but that was maybe 13 or 14 years ago
    zeus423mac_128lolliver
  • Reply 18 of 30
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member

Just found out they're the 2nd most successful Apple product.

"Apple died with Steve"
    "Apple can't innovate"
    "Tim isn't a visionary"

etc. etc.
    Well, to be fair, the AirPods are an example of the type of hardware with that bit of magic that is the Apple of old, something that has been all too lacking in recent times.
    Gaby
  • Reply 19 of 30
    cygnus23 said:
    svanstrom said: So… you rushed to make that joke about Apple pricing because… all their other black versions of anything have a higher pricepoint… or…?
    Priced the different colors of Magic Keyboards, Mice, and Trackpads recently?
    You're right; and I'd missed that.

It was just such a stupid non-Apple thing to do that I didn't think about actually going through their webstore to verify it.

Honestly, at this point I'm finding it harder and harder to defend the crap that Apple is doing; and I'm kinda sorta supposed to be a fanboy.
    mac_128
  • Reply 20 of 30
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    Get ready for it... If they actually do release black AirPods, there will be people posting here and elsewhere that Apple made them for the sole purpose of profiting from people having to replace all the ones they lose, because they're hard to see in all the dark places you could drop them. Watch for the class-action lawsuit as well.
    SoliLordeHawk