Apple's latest iPhone XS & XR ad 'Bokeh'd' plays with social downsides of Depth Control

Posted:
in iPhone
Perhaps signalling that it's embarking on a broader campaign, Apple has released a second ad promoting Depth Control on the iPhone XS & XR, "Bokeh'd."

iPhone XR ad

The spot features a trio of mothers talking while their kids are out playing. One of them shares a photo of her son, only to be met with indignation at another child being blurred out by Depth Control. The first woman shows that the child can be "unbokeh'd" at will.

The first ad debuted earlier this month, and featured someone using Depth Control to blot out the realities of New York City.

The current generation of iPhones marks the first time Portrait Mode has been available on models below the most expensive options. The XR is moreover the first single-lens iPhone to offer it, using algorithms alone to calculate depth. While the mode has been around since 2016, it was previously restricted to dual-lens cameras. In that case a telephoto lens captures the subject while a wide-angle lens snaps the broader scene, using that as a reference point.
lostkiwiMadtiger

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    I can totally see this happening! 😔
  • Reply 2 of 24
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    I want to Bokeh her in the face with my fist.  What a GD entitled sneauxflake!
    edited February 2019 applesnorangesalbegarchexclockedred
  • Reply 3 of 24
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    eriamjh said:
    I want to Bokeh her in the face with my fist.  What a GD entitled sneauxflake!
    And how. 
    eriamjh
  • Reply 4 of 24
    I can totally see this happening! 😔
    Right!  I love the “I’m just saying at the end and look on the other mom’s face. 

eriamjh
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Disable Depth Control buy default.

Problem solved.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Apple is inadvertently opening up a slippery-slope with this Bo-keh Ad. It shows that 'Apple Owners' are inept at operating their iPhone Camera... by admitting to making mistakes, and producing unintended negative-results. Subtle, but scary all at once.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Apple is inadvertently opening up a slippery-slope with this Bo-keh Ad. It shows that 'Apple Owners' are inept at operating their iPhone Camera... by admitting to making mistakes, and producing unintended negative-results. Subtle, but scary all at once.
    Apple devices are accessible by Billions of people. Obviously some users are going to make mistakes. Would you say the same for Android & Windows users?
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 24
    How is the “Apple Owner” inept at operating her iPhone camera? She demonstrates complete mastery of the depth control feature lol. And scary? How so? Did we watch the same spot?

btw, that was no mistake, she obviously bokeh-ed Jacob on purpose, even though she assures her friend, somewhat unconvincingly, that it was completely unintentional. 
    randominternetpersonStrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 9 of 24
    So, what do you think about when you take a picture of your child? Who’s the most important subject of a shot when you just want to snap a pic of your kid? Ah. Yours. Pretty normal, isn’t it? Unless of course you intend to take a photo of your kids together with friends. 
    The fact that Jacob’s mother draws the conclusions about intention and hate is IMO a superb allegory about today’s society. Like gender discussions etc.: the fact that I don’t explicitly put you in the foreground doesn’t automatically imply I dispose you/don’t respect you etc. But that’s today’s heresy. Any idiot can claim discrimination while it simply all starts in your head. Both, the fact that she states this accusations tells more about herself - as usually people draw co cousin a based on their own behavioral patterns - in other words: it’s what she would do and therefore it must be the same when she observes something like this with somebody else. Secondly, if you search for discrimination you’re likely gonna g to find evidence anywhere. 
    edited February 2019 leeeh2
  • Reply 10 of 24
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    I’m pretty sure the woman who took the pic didn’t want that kid in the picture.  And after that exchange, she promptly cropped the photo to remove him completely and deleted the other woman from her contacts and posted to social media what a complete selfish b*tch she was.  

At least, that’s what I’m going with.  
    randominternetpersonMadtigerJaiOh81
  • Reply 11 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Seriously! You guys are reading way too much into this. It's an ad! (And a funny one at that)
    Madtiger
  • Reply 12 of 24
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Seriously, I feel like I am reading comments posted by aspies. The ad is supposed to be a joke. I know I would make a joke about "how dare you bokeh me out" or whatever.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    So, what do you think about when you take a picture of your child? Who’s the most important subject of a shot when you just want to snap a pic of your kid? Ah. Yours. Pretty normal, isn’t it? Unless of course you intend to take a photo of your kids together with friends. 
    The fact that Jacob’s mother draws the conclusions about intention and hate is IMO a superb allegory about today’s society. Like gender discussions etc.: the fact that I don’t explicitly put you in the foreground doesn’t automatically imply I dispose you/don’t respect you etc. But that’s today’s heresy. Any idiot can claim discrimination while it simply all starts in your head. Both, the fact that she states this accusations tells more about herself - as usually people draw co cousin a based on their own behavioral patterns - in other words: it’s what she would do and therefore it must be the same when she observes something like this with somebody else. Secondly, if you search for discrimination you’re likely gonna g to find evidence anywhere. 
    The participation trophy culture, come home to roost. 
    Madtiger
  • Reply 14 of 24
    WTF?!?!  I mean WTF?!
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Madtiger said:
    WTF?!?!  I mean WTF?!
    Care to elaborate? 
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Madtiger said:
    WTF?!?!  I mean WTF?!
    Care to elaborate? 
    Why are you being so damn serious?!  It's a joke...funny commercial.  It is NOT a political statement...NOT a serious commentary on our society.  (BTW, i get what you're saying...society is too damn sensitive....but YOUR response is a reflection of the oversensitive nature of our current time!!)

You're taking this funny commercial as if it is something from BBC!  It actually makes you into one of "them" sensitive person that does not get a joke and is easily offended.  Don't you see it??  Don't become them!
    StrangeDaysMplsP
  • Reply 17 of 24

Huh?!  What the hell is wrong with some of you?!  Scary??!!  HUH?!  

A simple funny-as-hell commercial somehow led to two facepalming posts that just defies common sense.  
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Madtiger said:
    Madtiger said:
    WTF?!?!  I mean WTF?!
    Care to elaborate? 
    Why are you being so damn serious?!  It's a joke...funny commercial.  It is NOT a political statement...NOT a serious commentary on our society.  (BTW, i get what you're saying...society is too damn sensitive....but YOUR response is a reflection of the oversensitive nature of our current time!!)

You're taking this funny commercial as if it is something from BBC!  It actually makes you into one of "them" sensitive person that does not get a joke and is easily offended.  Don't you see it??  Don't become them!
    Ah, this. I get your point as well, and maybe you’re right: that day I just had to deal with one too many of such persons so probably I had enough ;) sure the ad is meant in a humorous way. Just commercials are a very good mirror of society: from the topics and motives you can very well understand this. And this kind of behavior as depicted unfortunately can be encountered too many times, and my points valid - though probably a bit over the top on the context of the article. 
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Are you people serious. What is going on in there. Seek help. 
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Madtiger said:
    Madtiger said:
    WTF?!?!  I mean WTF?!
    Care to elaborate? 

Indeed, it’s the ultimate irony — those wallowing about snowflakes are themselves precious snowflakes. And vocal. 
    Madtiger