Apple plans new 16- to 16.5-inch MacBook Pro in 2019 aimed at pro designers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
As part of its 2019 product introductions Apple will reportedly revitalize a tier of MacBook Pro larger than its current 15-inch models, positioned at hardcore gamers and pro designers.

The current 15-inch MacBook Pro.
The current 15-inch MacBook Pro.

TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suspects the products are coming at some point in 2019 Kuo dropped the tidbit in a research note Sunday that sprawled the company's many product lines with specific predictions. No further details on the larger MacBook Pro were offered in the note.

The note also suggests that an upgraded version of the company's 13-inch MacBook Pro may debut with support for 32 gigabytes of RAM in 2019, up from a max of 16GB which is the present limit on that form factor.

In the same research report, the well-connected analyst also dished details on plans for a new "easy-to-upgrade" Mac Pro, a 6K Apple display, three new iPads and three new iPhones.

The next MacBook Pro will boast a screen measuring between 16 and 16.5 inches on the diagonal, Kuo predicts. If true, the MacBook Pro line will see its first significant bump in display size since Apple discontinued the 17-inch model in 2012. Currently, the largest MacBook Pro on offer features a 15-inch Retina display packing a resolution of 2,880-by-1,800 pixels.

No other specifications were provided, though it can be assumed that Apple will continue its yearly tick-tock of internal component upgrades. Potentially on the docket for 2019 are long-promised 10 nanometer chips from Intel and more efficient RAM. The 13-inch MacBook Pro refresh could theoretically upgrade to a more advanced flavor of LPDDR RAM or move to the power-hungry DDR4 specification.
jdiamond

Comments

• Reply 1 of 104
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Apple developing a laptop aimed at gamers???? LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

What gamer is going to buy a Mac? Every Mac user already gets laughed at when they say they want to play games on their Mac. 

I can see a larger MacBook Pro being used for other things such as designing. You could put VEGA Graphics inside it and use the extra space for cooling them. I don't know if Apple dares put a Xeon inside it?
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 2 of 104
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    This is what i’ve been waiting for 
    prismaticsFlaSheridnrezwitsdws-2SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 104
    macxpress said:

What gamer is going to buy a Mac? Every Mac user already gets laughed at when they say they want to play games on their Mac. 

I can see a larger MacBook Pro being used for other things such as designing. You could put VEGA Graphics inside it and use the extra space for cooling them. I don't know if Apple dares put a Xeon inside it?
    Strange things do happen.
  • Reply 4 of 104
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    That would be strange days indeed.
  • Reply 5 of 104
    Bring back the 17" laptop with either a HIGH end ATI or nVidia card. Needs to have BOTH options, since there are still many shops and vendors that dont' have time to recode in OpenCL and still have most of their codebase in CUDA for the graphics pipeline. 

64GB should also be an option since I can forsee a lot of people would like to use a VR headset. Like using a HTC Vive. 

Currently, this affects a lot of VR development on the Mac platform. they need a more hefty laptop to drive VR 

IMHO most people don't like using heavy laptops. Except for a small group, which might not make financial sense for Apple to have a heavy duty laptop line. 
    Which is why the 17" killed off years ago

-Diganta 

edited February 2019 FlaSheridn
  • Reply 6 of 104
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    I need Logic. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 104
    This will be great! I’ll have my money in hand, waiting for it to drop. The screen real-estate will be welcomed, but I hope that the keyboard will be better than the current one. Thank, God. Weight and size has never been an issue for me.
    FlaSheridnrezwitsdws-2jdiamond
  • Reply 8 of 104
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Considering the maximum resolution (more space) for a 15” is 3840x2400 (1920x1200 @2x), I guess a 16”~16.5” would be 5120x3200 (2560x1600 @2x).

The actual resolution would bump from 2880x1800 (1440x900 @2x) to 3360x2100 (1680x1050 @2x), and the new native will be 3840x2400 (1920x1200 @2x).
    edited February 2019 rezwitsSpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 104
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I don't know if it's accurate and if it is I assume it'll be another grand over the 15", but I love the idea of it seeing as how I lean heavily toward my MBP.
  • Reply 10 of 104
    mjz2325mjz2325 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I do hope it's the 16.5" option, as this would be so close to a 17" that it would meet my screen needs. I'm using a 2011 17" at the moment, and I won't upgrade it because of the lack of decent screen-size availability. If Apple are genuinely going to do this, maybe they're finally listening to us!
    FlaSheridnmike54rezwitsdws-2SpamSandwichjdiamond
  • Reply 11 of 104
    Folks, slow your roll.

Apple redesigns MacBooks approximately every four years. It still feels new, but the truth is that we are reaching the end of this current “design cycle”. If history holds true, a redesigned MacBook will be released in either 2019 or 2020. 

Also, look at what they’re doing with iPhones. They didn’t make the X or the XS Max close than the “6” or “6 plus” sizes; they reduced the size of the screen bezel. 

They’re not going to make a 17” size of the existing MacBook Pro. They’re going to release a new computer of the same (15”) size with a bigger screen. 
  • Reply 12 of 104
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Soli said:
    I don't know if it's accurate and if it is I assume it'll be another grand over the 15", but I love the idea of it seeing as how I lean heavily toward my MBP.
    bezels are getting smaller so 16” could offer a reasonable size for both worlds.  if it’s true though.
    edited February 2019 dws-2SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 104
    I hope they don’t do this. Apple hasn’t got the energy to commit to things like “hardcore gaming”. This’ll be another one of their “ooh let’s branch our into that area” and then they’ll lose interest, like they did with iBooks Author, Safari on Windows, Apple TV gaming, etc etc. 

It it took them four years to realise what they needed to do to keep the Mac Pro current, and even then the updated model hasn’t shipped. How on earth are they going to keep up with the demands of hardcore gaming? 

FlaSheridn
  • Reply 14 of 104
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I have pretty much given up on Apple laptops and recently purchased a Surface Pro as a “real computer” companion to my iPad Pro 12.9.

My bet is that the mainstream laptop market is or will soon be a shrinking ice cube. The new iPad Pro and iOS still are not a replacement for a laptop, but are getting closer. I really think Apple is missing an opportunity by not making a Surface like device that has full file access based on either Mac OS or iOS.

It is still early days with the Surface Pro, but there is a lot to like. My i5 Surface Pro (6) cost less than my iPad Pro- quite a bit less. The power adapter set up is sucky, but the unit is very nice and boots faster than any Mac or iPad I have seen.
  • Reply 15 of 104
    camccamc Posts: 45member
    davgreg said:
    I have pretty much given up on Apple laptops and recently purchased a Surface Pro as a “real computer” companion to my iPad Pro 12.9.

My bet is that the mainstream laptop market is or will soon be a shrinking ice cube. The new iPad Pro and iOS still are not a replacement for a laptop, but are getting closer. I really think Apple is missing an opportunity by not making a Surface like device that has full file access based on either Mac OS or iOS.

It is still early days with the Surface Pro, but there is a lot to like. My i5 Surface Pro (6) cost less than my iPad Pro- quite a bit less. The power adapter set up is sucky, but the unit is very nice and boots faster than any Mac or iPad I have seen.
    OK, OK, but... why did you write everything in bold?
    rezwitsapres587
  • Reply 16 of 104
    dig48109 said:
    Bring back the 17" laptop with either a HIGH end ATI or nVidia card. Needs to have BOTH options, since there are still many shops and vendors that dont' have time to recode in OpenCL and still have most of their codebase in CUDA for the graphics pipeline. 

64GB should also be an option since I can forsee a lot of people would like to use a VR headset. Like using a HTC Vive. 

Currently, this affects a lot of VR development on the Mac platform. they need a more hefty laptop to drive VR 

IMHO most people don't like using heavy laptops. Except for a small group, which might not make financial sense for Apple to have a heavy duty laptop line. 
    Which is why the 17" killed off years ago

-Diganta 

There will be no NVIDIA Option mainly because NVIDIA is an unreliable business partner.

Their engineers do wonderful work but their business relations and marketing is truly horrible.

Watch this if you’re interested;
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=H0L3OTZ13Os
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 17 of 104
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    macxpress said:

What gamer is going to buy a Mac?
    The kind with a job, who doesn't live in their parent's basement, and who wants to also do other serious work with the machine, but doesn't mind playing very nice games, and is not shallow to ignore everything but this year's AAA titles.
    FlaSheridnbonobobpscooter63fastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 104
    I have a dim hope it might get user-serviceable SSD and memory.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 104
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    davgreg said:
    So you got something quite worse (and copycat) but with a touch screen?
    macxpresspscooter63
  • Reply 20 of 104
    Of course they are, right after I finally replace my 17" with a new 15" MBP :/