Apple to launch iPad Pro, iPad mini, 10.2-inch iPad, ceramic Apple Watch in 2019

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited December 2019
Apple plans to introduce new iPad Pros and iPad minis during the 2019 calendar year, along with a new ceramic Apple Watch design, a well-informed Apple analyst said Sunday.

The 2018 iPad Pro.
The 2018 iPad Pro.

TF International Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told clients in a research note that Apple plans to release two new iPad Pro models "with upgraded processors" in 2019, along with a similarly enhanced iPad mini. Apple hasn't touched the Mini line since 2015's Mini 4, to the dismay of people who preferred its pricing and compact design.

Apple's 9.7-inch "budget" iPad -- first introduced in 2017 -- is expected to grow to 10.2 inches, putting it close to the size of the base 2017 iPad Pro. Last year's model gained Apple Pencil support, but remained behind Pros with Lightning instead of USB-C, and Touch ID instead of Face ID. Its performance was likewise kept slower, and its display missing technologies like ProMotion and True Tone.

The new ceramic casing design for the Apple Watch will emerge sometime this year, as will ECG support in more countries, Kuo added. Ceramic was dropped from Watch options when the Series 4 premiered last fall. This may have been because of poor sales, production issues, or simply because Apple no longer felt it was necessary.

Other upcoming hardware covered in Kuo's memo includes three new iPhones, second-generation AirPods16- to 16.5-inch MacBook Pro, and even a 31.6-inch 6K monitor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

How did I guess it wold be Ming-Chi Kuo?

For well informed, wasn't there something he got wrong late last year? I don't remember the details, but I think there was something he said was going to happen that didn't. Does anyone have a scorecard of his predictions so far?

[EDIT] Oh, and new iPad Pros is kind of a no-brainer. They'll upgrade them to use this year's processors at some point. The Ceramic Apple Watch is less of a given, since they seemed to have dropped the Edition line. I suppose you can always say that the ceramic back on the normal watch might have been a source for confusion.

Other than that, nothing really exceptional. No predictions on the iMac updates, or this year's MacBooks or iPhones. Or even the non-Pro iPad. All of which I expect to see upgraded this year. Do I get my lucrative analyst job now?

edited February 2019 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 18
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    anome said:

For well informed, wasn't there something he got wrong late last year? I don't remember the details, but I think there was something he said was going to happen that didn't. Does anyone have a scorecard of his predictions so far?

[EDIT] Oh, and new iPad Pros is kind of a no-brainer. They'll upgrade them to use this year's processors at some point. The Ceramic Apple Watch is less of a given, since they seemed to have dropped the Edition line. I suppose you can always say that the ceramic back on the normal watch might have been a source for confusion.

Other than that, nothing really exceptional. No predictions on the iMac updates, or this year's MacBooks or iPhones. Or even the non-Pro iPad. All of which I expect to see upgraded this year. Do I get my lucrative analyst job now?

Since the current iPadPro (2018) already has a A12X processor I'm sure the iPadPro won't come out till after this year's new iPhones are released.
    peteocaladanian
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I’d love to know if Canada will get the ECG feature on the Apple Watch. That I’d upgrade for. 
    caladanian
  • Reply 4 of 18
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I would love to see an iPad mini upgraded with the current top spec processors and display. The price does not even have to be that bargain basement.

Even better would be an iPad mini allowed to function as an iPhone with LTE, run CarPlay and thether to an Apple Watch. With the Apple Watch and AirPods, the phone really does not have to be something we hold to our ears.

At work my Phone sits secured and my Apple Watch functions as my iPhone on campus, linked over a secure Wi-Fi network. In the car it is just sitting connected by USB. At home it hands off calls to my desktop Mac or Watch. Out walking the dog or at the YMCA it connects to my Plantronics headset. I rarely pick it up and use it as a handset phone. There is no real reason an LTE iPad mini could not be equipped to function as an iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    anome said:

Or even the non-Pro iPad.

Which is called an iPad.
    Apple's 9.7-inch "budget" iPad -- first introduced in 2017 -- is expected to grow to 10.2 inches, putting it close to the size of the base 2017 iPad Pro. 
    Wouldn’t it make more sense to use the existing 10.5” chassis?
    edited February 2019 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 18
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    anome said:
    Because you're a frikken genius? Or more likely you guessed the same thing everybody else did.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 18
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Perhaps the ceramic watch will permit Wireless Charging by the new Macs.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Hmm I'd think that new iPad pros would not come out until march 2020. They usually go on a year and a half cycle. the 2017 ones came out in June. 2018 in November
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Personally, I have been waiting for a ceramic option to upgrade my ceramic 2nd gen.  The ceramic watch has held up so much better than the stainless for the abuse I give it, it doesn’t make sense to go back.
    jdb8167chasm
  • Reply 10 of 18
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    hentaiboy said:
    That doesn't fall in line with Apple's current strategy of making the device smaller while making its display bigger. I like the strategy. The 12.9" iPad Pro feels noticeably smaller than it is compared to the previous version.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    hentaiboy said:
    anome said:

Which is called an iPad.
    Apple's 9.7-inch "budget" iPad -- first introduced in 2017 -- is expected to grow to 10.2 inches, putting it close to the size of the base 2017 iPad Pro. 

Totally missed that in the article. My bad.

Yeah, it makes more sense to use the same, or at least compatible, chassis. Unless somehow they have a way of fitting a 10.2" screen into the chassis used for the 10.5" Pro.

Also, I see a bunch more articles with more predictions from the Mighty Kuo. So I guess I was premature on my other comments, as well. Just pretend I never said any of that.

• Reply 12 of 18
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    hentaiboy said:
    anome said:

Which is called an iPad.
    Perhaps but making small changes to the screen forces adoption of autolayout & size classes which is a good thing.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Count me and the wife in for his and hers ceramic watches...we have yet to bite.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    TomE said:
    What.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Anilu_777 said:
    I’d love to know if Canada will get the ECG feature on the Apple Watch. That I’d upgrade for. 
    Ask the Canadian government what the holdup is. That's what Apple is waiting on.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    anome said:

For well informed, wasn't there something he got wrong late last year?

He gets lots of stuff wrong if you carefully watch all of his predictions. He "walks back" a bunch of the early ones as they get closer to his predicted date. That said, he's above-average in accuracy (after the walk-backs) than nearly any other analyst -- because they are just plain terrible at their jobs, whereas Kuo does homework (and probably has a factory source, which is why his near-term predictions are generally right).

Just for a couple of examples, last year he predicted the iPhone X would come in three colours. This year, he claimed that iPhone XR sales were weak. Neither was correct.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    TomE said:
    Are ceramics invisible to wireless power frequencies? I’d think they’d be more opaque.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A potentially great new material for Apple’s Watch would be Ceratanium, a material mainly used in the luxury watch sphere, currently by IWC. It’s basically a high grade titanium coated in ceramic. Thus providing the durability and light weight of the former with the scratch resistance of the latter. Perfect for an everyday wearable device like the Watch!
    edited July 2019