Apple plans new 16- to 16.5-inch MacBook Pro in 2019 aimed at pro designers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    Oh please please please please please let it be true! I really miss my 17" screen. I know that makes me a bad person, everyone told me so when I complained about it being discontinued (they also very helpfully explained why I don't need more than 15", which was great because deciding for myself what I prefer is such an intellectual drain). I'll live with the shame. Just please let me have a larger screen again.
  • Reply 22 of 104
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Folks, slow your roll.

Apple redesigns MacBooks approximately every four years. It still feels new, but the truth is that we are reaching the end of this current “design cycle”. If history holds true, a redesigned MacBook will be released in either 2019 or 2020. 

Also, look at what they’re doing with iPhones. They didn’t make the X or the XS Max close than the “6” or “6 plus” sizes; they reduced the size of the screen bezel. 

They’re not going to make a 17” size of the existing MacBook Pro. They’re going to release a new computer of the same (15”) size with a bigger screen. 
    The existing enclosure will accommodate 16.15 with no bezel to speak of. If they go to 16.5, it will require a larger enclosure.

You're right about being at the end of the design cycle, though.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 23 of 104
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Apple can add additional Macbook Pro size but best to bring back non OLED touch strip 13"/15" Macbook Pro at lower price point for highschool,college students and small businesses. Expand the base users and rest will fall in place.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    the 17" was my first Mac notebook. Since then, I have continued down in size as Apple pushes in that direction, currently on a 13" MPB. I've taken the opposite strategy in my Desktop setup where I have an iMac 27" with a 31" Eizo display. I do design and photography work.

Now that Apple can pack a MBP so light and thin, I prefer to take those attributes as far as I can, and save the big guns for my desktop.

Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but a big MBP is not what I'm looking for in 2019. Any least if they continue with conventional MBP design philosophy...

...OTOH, if Apple changes their tune on touch & pen-sensitive Mac displays, I'd be ALL OVER a big MBP that functions as a Wacom tablet.
  • Reply 25 of 104
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    macseeker said:
    macxpress said:
    Apple developing a laptop aimed at gamers???? LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

What gamer is going to buy a Mac? Every Mac user already gets laughed at when they say they want to play games on their Mac. 

I can see a larger MacBook Pro being used for other things such as designing. You could put VEGA Graphics inside it and use the extra space for cooling them. I don't know if Apple dares put a Xeon inside it?
    Strange things do happen.
    Yeah well it will be a very cold day in hell before any true gamer buys a Mac for gaming. davgreg said:
    I have pretty much given up on Apple laptops and recently purchased a Surface Pro as a “real computer” companion to my iPad Pro 12.9.

My bet is that the mainstream laptop market is or will soon be a shrinking ice cube. The new iPad Pro and iOS still are not a replacement for a laptop, but are getting closer. I really think Apple is missing an opportunity by not making a Surface like device that has full file access based on either Mac OS or iOS.

It is still early days with the Surface Pro, but there is a lot to like. My i5 Surface Pro (6) cost less than my iPad Pro- quite a bit less. The power adapter set up is sucky, but the unit is very nice and boots faster than any Mac or iPad I have seen.
    Surface Pro a real computer? HAHAHA! Biggest pieces of shit ever! The entire Surface line is a joke! And, you don't need to write everything in bold either. 
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 26 of 104
    This would make me SO HAPPY!  My 2010 MBP was an absolute joy to use, and I used it up until the end of last year where I stupidly killed it by spilling wine on it. :(
    It's just one of those things - sure, you can adjust to using a 15" laptop, but the moment you're back to a 17", it's such an incredible joy.  17" is really the smallest laptop I can comfortably use without an external monitor.  I really don't care how good it is for games - the screen real estate alone is wonderful.  And with most of Apple's product lines, there's just a trivial tax for different sizes (like buying shirts I imagine.)  And on the 3rd party market, typically 15"s are cheaper than 13"s.

But I do agree with the other posts - if it comes with a butterfly keyboard, that'd be a real downer.  You know, the old Apple DID sometimes retract bad design choices, but I suppose the new Apple is too arrogant to admit a mistake.  That's why I upgraded my 2015 MBP to a 2TB SSD - it's worth it to hold on to the awesome keyboard, and the ports are nice too.  I think that's what the "gamer" comments are missing - you have to get the more basic things right on a laptop before you worry about the luxury items.  What good's a high end GPU if the screen is poor or you can't type?

• Reply 27 of 104
    macxpress said:

What gamer is going to buy a Mac? Every Mac user already gets laughed at when they say they want to play games on their Mac. 

I can see a larger MacBook Pro being used for other things such as designing. You could put VEGA Graphics inside it and use the extra space for cooling them. I don't know if Apple dares put a Xeon inside it?
    Gamer laptops are 1080p. 

That beast will be most probably 5K. Not for gamers at all.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 611member
    davgreg said:
    I have pretty much given up on Apple laptops and recently purchased a Surface Pro as a “real computer” companion to my iPad Pro 12.9.

My bet is that the mainstream laptop market is or will soon be a shrinking ice cube. The new iPad Pro and iOS still are not a replacement for a laptop, but are getting closer. I really think Apple is missing an opportunity by not making a Surface like device that has full file access based on either Mac OS or iOS.

It is still early days with the Surface Pro, but there is a lot to like. My i5 Surface Pro (6) cost less than my iPad Pro- quite a bit less. The power adapter set up is sucky, but the unit is very nice and boots faster than any Mac or iPad I have seen.
    Speed of boot is a metric that is off zero value. All of the devices you mentioned are meant to be kept on. The only time I reboot mine is after an update requiring a reboot. 
  • Reply 29 of 104
    WHOOOOO HOOOO!
  • Reply 30 of 104
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member

Will this be the first ARMbook, I wonder. I figured it would coincide with the next major overhaul, though this is sooner than I had assumed. I’m curious, for the 15 or now 16 inch, if they’d also make the GPU part at the same time as the ARMswitch, whole hog all the silicon at once.

I’d hope it’s still two distinct chips, as that will always allow a higher TDP than a single SoC, without the CPU and GPUright next to each other on the same die.

I’m also assuming this is the 15.6" expanded into the bezels more, not a physically larger laptop. If the 13" follows that with a near 14" display, that would be a huge usability win. Always feel a bit cramped on the 13, though the 15 is more awkward to travel with.

• Reply 31 of 104
    I am lusting after a thin powerful laptop with an i9 processor and RTX 2080 GPU. I would buy it from Apple if they made one like that.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    jimh2 said:
    davgreg said:

Speed of boot is a metric that is off zero value. All of the devices you mentioned are meant to be kept on. The only time I reboot mine is after an update requiring a reboot. 
    You're lucky. Both of mine periodically become confused and require a reboot to correct strange behaviours. With just casual use I can go a few days without restarting, but once I start working I'm usually looking at about 4 hours between reboots.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    Eric_WVGG said:

They’re not going to make a 17” size of the existing MacBook Pro. They’re going to release a new computer of the same (15”) size with a bigger screen. 
    The existing enclosure will accommodate 16.15 with no bezel to speak of. If they go to 16.5, it will require a larger enclosure.

yeah I didn't mean "same body new screen," just "similar external size with larger screen, we're not seeing a return of the cafeteria tray macbook"

Be it this year or next, the release of a new Macbook Pro is going to present a difficult decision for me. I'm on the 2016 Pro, and it's the biggest lemon I've ever owned. (I havve to drop by the Genius Bar tomorrow to get this VV problem with my keyboard fixed, and it's already on its second keyboard. If they try to charge me $700 again I’m gonna flip one of their goddamned tables.)

I'vve always preached waiting for the second release of any new hardware from Apple, so that means putting up with this thing for one more year after a truly new model comes out… or I take my chances?

I am looking forward to meeting the Genius tomorrow and asking them to type “VViolet lovves vvanilla vvapes” though.
    fastasleepIreneW
  • Reply 34 of 104
    I am lusting after a thin powerful laptop with an i9 processor and RTX 2080 GPU. I would buy it from Apple if they made one like that.
    I guess you're not going to buy from Apple then....
  • Reply 35 of 104
    Getting rid of the camera in the display would save some space.

Which got me wondering, does anyone actually USE the camera in the MacBook Pro? Mine could be defective and I'd never know. I always seem to reach for my iPhone to do anything camera related.
  • Reply 36 of 104

Which got me wondering, does anyone actually USE the camera in the MacBook Pro? Mine could be defective and I'd never know. I always seem to reach for my iPhone to do anything camera related.
    I use FaceTime from my laptop all the time. Used to have daily Google Hangouts chats with a programming team for a couple years. 

No way they'll drop it. More likely that we'd see something similar to the iPad Pro front camera.
    edited February 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 104
    macxpress said:

Quick! Quick! Now they are at it, also make a new SE!
  • Reply 38 of 104
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Folks, slow your roll.

Apple redesigns MacBooks approximately every four years. It still feels new, but the truth is that we are reaching the end of this current “design cycle”. If history holds true, a redesigned MacBook will be released in either 2019 or 2020. 

Also, look at what they’re doing with iPhones. They didn’t make the X or the XS Max close than the “6” or “6 plus” sizes; they reduced the size of the screen bezel. 

Hopefully this also means a 10nm i7 chip from Intel and LPDDR4.  A return of MagSafe, SD slot and old keyboard would also be great.

Is this designed by the new PRO group at apple that is supposed to be doing the MacPro?   A Pro MacBookPro finally or they could call it the MacBookUltra.
  • Reply 39 of 104
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

I'm in the same boat. The same goes for the front-facing camera on my iPhone and it would take me awhile to figure out that the back-facing camera on my iPhone has a problem… which I know first hand when I had my iPhone 4/4S back glass replaced by a 3rd-party after it cracked and it was weeks or months later that I realized that I took a pic that was blurry and realized that the tech didn't remove the plastic film from the inside of the replacement glass.

But it won't go away. Just like so few users ever connecting their laptops to an external monitor but still needing those dedicated video-out ports, it's a staple that would hurt sales for the small percentage that do require its existence.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    Soli said:

I'm in the same boat. The same goes for the front-facing camera on my iPhone and it would take me awhile to figure out that the back-facing camera on my iPhone has a problem… which I know first hand when I had my iPhone 4/4S back glass replaced by a 3rd-party after it cracked and it was weeks or months later that I realized that I took a pic that was blurry and realized that the tech didn't remove the plastic film from the inside of the replacement glass.

But it won't go away. Just like so few users ever connecting their laptops to an external monitor but still needing those dedicated video-out ports, it's a staple that would hurt sales for the small percentage that do require its existence.
    If Apple wants to ever implement FaceID then they might as well keep the camera where it is. I'm sure more use the camera than we think.