Apple plans new 16- to 16.5-inch MacBook Pro in 2019 aimed at pro designers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    KITAKITA Posts: 392member
    I am lusting after a thin powerful laptop with an i9 processor and RTX 2080 GPU. I would buy it from Apple if they made one like that.
    I mean, you've pretty much described the Gigabyte Aero 15-Y9.
    • Intel Core i9-8850HK
    • RTX 2080 Max-Q 8GB GDDR6
    • 94.24 Wh battery
    • 0.74" thick
    • 4.49 lbs

So it's certainly possible for Apple to make a similar laptop. Of course, they wouldn't use NVIDIA at this point.
  • Reply 42 of 104
    The best thing about slumping iPhone sales and smartphone saturation throughout the world, is that perhaps Apple will put some people back in the Mac marketplace and come out with something new more often than every 5+ years! I'm glad smartphones are waning... I'm so sick and tired of going to a "MAC" site and seeing nothing but shit about f****** iPhones!
    macike
  • Reply 43 of 104
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    The existing enclosure will accommodate 16.15 with no bezel to speak of. If they go to 16.5, it will require a larger enclosure.
    Getting rid of the camera in the display would save some space.

Which got me wondering, does anyone actually USE the camera in the MacBook Pro? Mine could be defective and I'd never know. I always seem to reach for my iPhone to do anything camera related.
    Check out this year’s XPS13, it got a tiny 720p on top of the screen.
  • Reply 44 of 104
    Apple finally owning up to the fact that cutting big display MacBooks was their biggest mistake!

• Reply 45 of 104
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    The existing enclosure will accommodate 16.15 with no bezel to speak of. If they go to 16.5, it will require a larger enclosure.
    Getting rid of the camera in the display would save some space.

Which got me wondering, does anyone actually USE the camera in the MacBook Pro? Mine could be defective and I'd never know. I always seem to reach for my iPhone to do anything camera related.
    I'm in the same boat. The same goes for the front-facing camera on my iPhone and it would take me awhile to figure out that the back-facing camera on my iPhone has a problem… which I know first hand when I had my iPhone 4/4S back glass replaced by a 3rd-party after it cracked and it was weeks or months later that I realized that I took a pic that was blurry and realized that the tech didn't remove the plastic film from the inside of the replacement glass.

But it won't go away. Just like so few users ever connecting their laptops to an external monitor but still needing those dedicated video-out ports, it's a staple that would hurt sales for the small percentage that do require its existence.
    If Apple wants to ever implement FaceID then they might as well keep the camera where it is. I'm sure more use the camera than we think. 
    I would happily live with a forehead bezel if it got me Face ID! I hope that's something Apple plans to do.
  • Reply 46 of 104
    I have a dim hope it might get user-serviceable SSD and memory.
    With any luck. Hopefully not all glued together components.
  • Reply 47 of 104
    davgreg said:
    I have pretty much given up on Apple laptops and recently purchased a Surface Pro as a “real computer” companion to my iPad Pro 12.9.

My bet is that the mainstream laptop market is or will soon be a shrinking ice cube. The new iPad Pro and iOS still are not a replacement for a laptop, but are getting closer. I really think Apple is missing an /opportunity by not making a Surface like device that has full file access based on either Mac OS or iOS.

It is still early days with the Surface Pro, but there is a lot to like. My i5 Surface Pro (6) cost less than my iPad Pro- quite a bit less. The power adapter set up is sucky, but the unit is very nice and boots faster than any Mac or iPad I have seen.
    Since when iPad /Mac need to reboot every single time?

Apple designs iOS/macOS as an instant on device. Don’t think many iOS/Mac user need to power off their devices every time they finish their work! We can run our devices weeks or months without crashing or have need to reboot for the machine to run smoothly.
    macxpress
  • Reply 48 of 104
    viclauyyc said:
    See post #33. I have to reboot my Mac regularly to correct odd behaviours. Things like pull-downs in iTunes appearing with what's below them overlaid on top, menu selections that won't respond, keyboard shortcuts producing unexpected results -- stuff that's alarming when it happens, but is miraculously cured by a reboot.

The same is true of our iOS devices. It happens much less frequently to them, but they'll periodically refuse to connect via Bluetooth, or playlists will be missing from the Music app, or Mail refuses to update, all of which are resolved by power cycling.
  • Reply 49 of 104
    macxpress said:
    Apple developing a laptop aimed at gamers???? LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

What gamer is going to buy a Mac? Every Mac user already gets laughed at when they say they want to play games on their Mac. 

I can see a larger MacBook Pro being used for other things such as designing. You could put VEGA Graphics inside it and use the extra space for cooling them. I don't know if Apple dares put a Xeon inside it?
    I play games on my Mac, it's not its primary use, but it's not like it's *that* weird to do so. That said, I understand why nobody buys a Mac primarily as a gaming device.

My 15" already has Vega graphics in it, btw. 
    macxpress
  • Reply 50 of 104

DuhSesame said:
    Considering the maximum resolution (more space) for a 15” is 3840x2400 (1920x1200 @2x), I guess a 16”~16.5” would be 5120x3200 (2560x1600 @2x).

The actual resolution would bump from 2880x1800 (1440x900 @2x) to 3360x2100 (1680x1050 @2x), and the new native will be 3840x2400 (1920x1200 @2x).
    The max resolution is 2880x1800 not 3840x2400. It scales to 1920x1200 but not at 2x resolution.
    macxpress
  • Reply 51 of 104
    dig48109 said:

64GB should also be an option since I can forsee a lot of people would like to use a VR headset. Like using a HTC Vive. 

Currently, this affects a lot of VR development on the Mac platform. they need a more hefty laptop to drive VR 
    Why would you need 64GB of RAM for VR?

Also, the obvious solution for now is an eGPU for VR.
    macxpress
  • Reply 52 of 104
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    macxpress said:
    Apple developing a laptop aimed at gamers???? LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

What gamer is going to buy a Mac? Every Mac user already gets laughed at when they say they want to play games on their Mac. 

I can see a larger MacBook Pro being used for other things such as designing. You could put VEGA Graphics inside it and use the extra space for cooling them. I don't know if Apple dares put a Xeon inside it?
    I play games on my Mac, it's not its primary use, but it's not like it's *that* weird to do so. That said, I understand why nobody buys a Mac primarily as a gaming device.

My 15" already has Vega graphics in it, btw. 
    I do too, but a true gamer laughs at the Mac, not a casual gamer who plays every once in a while. 
  • Reply 53 of 104
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

viclauyyc said:
    See post #33. I have to reboot my Mac regularly to correct odd behaviours. Things like pull-downs in iTunes appearing with what's below them overlaid on top, menu selections that won't respond, keyboard shortcuts producing unexpected results -- stuff that's alarming when it happens, but is miraculously cured by a reboot.

The same is true of our iOS devices. It happens much less frequently to them, but they'll periodically refuse to connect via Bluetooth, or playlists will be missing from the Music app, or Mail refuses to update, all of which are resolved by power cycling.
    Quite odd though that this isn't a widespread issue. Maybe it's time for a reload of your OS from scratch. 
  • Reply 54 of 104
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    dig48109 said:

64GB should also be an option since I can forsee a lot of people would like to use a VR headset. Like using a HTC Vive. 

Currently, this affects a lot of VR development on the Mac platform. they need a more hefty laptop to drive VR 
    Why would you need 64GB of RAM for VR?

Also, the obvious solution for now is an eGPU for VR.
    Or two tiny eGPUs with timing system between them like the airpods do with sound but vastly more bandwidth.

Sort of like the GPU cores in the Aseries with each core running a vertical segment of screen. As capiblity improves the slices get smaller and would let them segment the screen on the pivot point of each eye.
  • Reply 55 of 104
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member

DuhSesame said:
    Considering the maximum resolution (more space) for a 15” is 3840x2400 (1920x1200 @2x), I guess a 16”~16.5” would be 5120x3200 (2560x1600 @2x).

The actual resolution would bump from 2880x1800 (1440x900 @2x) to 3360x2100 (1680x1050 @2x), and the new native will be 3840x2400 (1920x1200 @2x).
    The max resolution is 2880x1800 not 3840x2400. It scales to 1920x1200 but not at 2x resolution.
    3840x2400 is the maximum scaled resolution (which simulates 1920x1200, but 2x the scale).  The native resolution is 2880x1800 and simulates 1440x900.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 56 of 104
    macxpress said:

viclauyyc said:

Quite odd though that this isn't a widespread issue. Maybe it's time for a reload of your OS from scratch. 
    While my particular case may require more frequent reboots than is typical, I don't think occasional restarts to refocus a confused machine are all that unusual. We all do it from time to time, we just don't think about it. When someone tells you their machine is doing something peculiar, what's the first thing you tell them? "Tty turning it off then on again."

Even my mini in the living room, which does nothing but provide access to my media library via Home Sharing, benefits from restarting it every few days. It seems to get tired and gradually slows down. After a restart it's refreshed and runs at full speed again. It probably doesn't really NEED the reboot, as the only affect of whatever's happening is that the UI becomes slower to respond, but it does tend to contradict the assertion that the only reason to ever reboot a Mac is after a software update that requires it.
  • Reply 57 of 104
    profprof Posts: 84member
    Hell yeah! I've got my wallet at the ready... Not going to hold my breath though, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is...
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 58 of 104
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    Apple finally owning up to the fact that cutting big display MacBooks was their biggest mistake!

:D  :D :D :D

Discontinuing it didn't negatively affect either their Mac line's profitability nor unit sales. 
    edited February 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 59 of 104
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Hmm.., mind that the current MBP15 is a 15.4” 16:10 display. 16” and 16.5” 16:10 displays will only be 8% and 15% larger. If the model has a 16” display, it will likely replace the current MBP15 model, not be in addition to it. The 16.5” is kind of iffy to me at 15% larger on whether it will be a model in addition to the current 15.4” display model or be in place of the 15.4” model.

Either way, first real form factor change in MacBook Pro in 8 years, and arguably, all the way back to 2006 when the first Intel MacBook Pro came out with a 15.4” display. PowerBook G4 15 models were 15.2”.

Would be good too if the 13.3” MacBook Pro model moved to 14” so as to provide more differentiation between the MBA at 13.3.
  • Reply 60 of 104
    macxpress said:

viclauyyc said:

While my particular case may require more frequent reboots than is typical, I don't think occasional restarts to refocus a confused machine are all that unusual. We all do it from time to time, we just don't think about it. When someone tells you their machine is doing something peculiar, what's the first thing you tell them? "Tty turning it off then on again."

Even my mini in the living room, which does nothing but provide access to my media library via Home Sharing, benefits from restarting it every few days. It seems to get tired and gradually slows down. After a restart it's refreshed and runs at full speed again. It probably doesn't really NEED the reboot, as the only affect of whatever's happening is that the UI becomes slower to respond, but it does tend to contradict the assertion that the only reason to ever reboot a Mac is after a software update that requires it.
    I don't doubt your problems, but it's not normal at all.

My own anecdotal situation is a family of 4 with 8 Macs running nearly all the time, a host of iOS devices, and a few other Macs that aren't used all the time.  Powered on 24/7: 5 laptops, 2 minis and an older tower.  Various uses from servers that are required to be on 24/7, to media center that is on 24/7 but idle much of the day, dev machines that get worked hard for 12-14 hours/day and a couple with typical usage off and on for much of the day every day.  NONE of these machines need to be rebooted with any regularity, typically only needing reboots when upgrading system software.  I recently experienced one single hard crash, but I had been thoroughly abusing that laptop for months with hundreds of browser tabs across several browsers, xcode running with 4 separate projects open, multiple iOS simulators, at least a dozen open shell sessions at any time, and a ton of other stuff as well.  And even with all that kind of use, I hard crash less than once/year.  I haven't heard of a single hard crash on any of the other machines in, well, years if ever.

[ update: actually I just remembered there was one laptop a few years ago running what seemed like a bad version of an older OS, maybe Yosemite or ElCapitan, but it was only that one machine, and only when I was booted into that one particular OS, and only when I started pushing its limits.  I saw a few hard crashes, but I simply stopped using that version of OS X on that machine and everything was fine. ]

Anecdotes are dangerous, and I hate when others try to use them against me, but I know many, many people that are Mac-only families and I don't know anyone who has experienced anything even remotely close to what you're describing.  I strongly suspect that you've got some faulty individual hardware or you're running some really strangely invasive software.  (?)

Bluetooth problems I can totally imagine, and things like missing playlists aren't hardware or even likely to be OS-related. 

If what you're experiencing was commonplace there would be a lot more outcry here.

[ update 2: do you possibly have off-brand memory installed?  That can cause weird problems that don't show up all the time and can be extremely hard to diagnose. ]
    edited February 2019 fastasleep