Huawei cloning Apple parts, rewarding employees for tech theft

Comments

• Reply 81 of 131
    Melab said:
    You mean to tell me knockoffs are stealing from Apple?

WhodaThunk?!!?!

Yeah they don't copy Apple at all. /s

P.S. Funny how they just slapped "MateBook" on their Macbook knockoff.
    I don't see anything so egregious about either of the two phones you present. I know which elements of the design you have in mind, but I don't think they are morally relevant.
    Ok here you go.

anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 131

Wow! The Huawei apologists are so blatant that it's pathetic. I've got avon on my block list, but on reading his crap quoted in other posts - wow!

And they call us sheep!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 131
    Al_ien1 said:
    The US has been doing the same thing for decades. There is a Foriegn Technology Division in WPAFB in Ohio whose purpose is to reverse engineer Foriegn Technology! China has invested untold Billions of dollars in technology while the US has SPENT untold Billions on the military. If America had created the 5G technology first they would be pushing it to countries around the world (for spying as well ) and no one would have heard of Huawei. 
    OK, you China trolls that are showing up in spades. Here's a simple question that I invite any one of you to answer: Name one -- not two, not three, not four, just one -- product or service created/innovated by China in the past, let's say, three decades that has become a global product or service. I dare you to name one.

I'll wait.
    Oh I got it! The KFC iPhone Knockoff!

anantksundaramSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 131
    Dude, that’s China in a nutshell. Their entire economy is one built on theft.
    Apparently you got brainwashed by fake news.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 85 of 131
    fallenjt said:
    That’s what the Chinese do: clone! That’s why I don’t buy Chinese products. The Korean companies copy too but at least they also developed and implemented  their own tech too, not the Chinese!
    avon b7 said:
    mercel said:
    At least the Chinesse realize they dont have what is required to create such amazing products and they are trying to learn how to make it... is bad but you have to learn somewere.... Apple need to protect better its investments
    And people should stop patronizing the copycat manufacturers.  I’m looking at you Huawei, Samsung, etc.  
    At this point in time it should be clear to all that a very widespread and intense slur campaign is underway by the US government against Huawei.

The US is pushing other countries hard to stop Huawei's progress in key strategic fields where the US looks to lose influence.

Mike Pence is on tour at this very moment and attacking Huawei at every step - and admitting to it publicly - but with little or nothing in tow in terms of facts.

I would say if there is anything to bite on, companies must present formal charges. 'Anonymous' claims and how they are presented should be taken lightly until the 5G roll out is well under way.

Huawei's R&D outlay has been consistently near the top of the world rankings for years now and that is part of the reality the US hawks do not want to entertain. 

The courts is very much the way to go if any of the facts want to be heard (should they truly exist).

As far as stripping down competitors' products goes, I'm sure it's standard practice and I include Apple in this group too as well.

So much bullshit here I don't know where to start. How about this little gem:

'Anonymous' claims and how they are presented should be taken lightly until the 5G roll out is well under way.

Really? So we should use Huawei gear to build out 5G BEFORE it's been thoroughly vetted? How fucking stupid are you?

As far as stripping down competitors' products goes, I'm sure it's standard practice and I include Apple in this group too as well.

Again, how fucking stupid are you? There's a huge difference between buying a product and examining how it works and trying to trick manufacturers into giving up trade secrets or convince them to build components for you using someone elses IP by pretending you had the same idea. Huawei COULDN'T figure out how to make these components after tear down, which is why they went to Apple suppliers to see if they'd give up anything to help them.

Apple using 769 patent of Huawei and Huawei using only 98 patent from Apple, so Apple has to pays Huawei hundreds of millions dollars. Once you buy iPhone, you buy Huawei technology too.
    2. Huawei devices has been under watched and checked by US & UK government for many years but no backdoor evidence found.
    3. AT&T built a special network for US ericthehalfbee said:
    avon b7 said:
    mercel said:
    At least the Chinesse realize they dont have what is required to create such amazing products and they are trying to learn how to make it... is bad but you have to learn somewere.... Apple need to protect better its investments
    And people should stop patronizing the copycat manufacturers.  I’m looking at you Huawei, Samsung, etc.  
    At this point in time it should be clear to all that a very widespread and intense slur campaign is underway by the US government against Huawei.

The US is pushing other countries hard to stop Huawei's progress in key strategic fields where the US looks to lose influence.

Mike Pence is on tour at this very moment and attacking Huawei at every step - and admitting to it publicly - but with little or nothing in tow in terms of facts.

I would say if there is anything to bite on, companies must present formal charges. 'Anonymous' claims and how they are presented should be taken lightly until the 5G roll out is well under way.

Huawei's R&D outlay has been consistently near the top of the world rankings for years now and that is part of the reality the US hawks do not want to entertain. 

The courts is very much the way to go if any of the facts want to be heard (should they truly exist).

So much bullshit here I don't know where to start. How about this little gem:

'Anonymous' claims and how they are presented should be taken lightly until the 5G roll out is well under way.

Really? So we should use Huawei gear to build out 5G BEFORE it's been thoroughly vetted? How fucking stupid are you?

Again, how fucking stupid are you? There's a huge difference between buying a product and examining how it works and trying to trick manufacturers into giving up trade secrets or convince them to build components for you using someone elses IP by pretending you had the same idea. Huawei COULDN'T figure out how to make these components after tear down, which is why they went to Apple suppliers to see if they'd give up anything to help them.

Apple using 769 patent of Huawei and Huawei using only 98 patent from Apple, so Apple has to pays Huawei hundreds of millions dollars.
    Once you buy iPhone, you buy Huawei technology.

Even more , Huawei develops half of 5G standards and patents , US counld build 5G network without Huawei devices, but couldn't avoid Huawei technologies, once you pay for 5G service, you pay to Huawei too.
    WTF are you trying to say?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 131
    It is outright laughable that some of our dear astroturfers are trying to pretend the company that brought us these AirPod ripoffs (ironically branded under the “Honor” line), aren’t complete rip-off artists. 

anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 131
    wood1208 said:
    This is huge problem in past and still going on. Mr. Trump and rest of World leaders, please stop these Chinese theft of tech and there desire to succeed in market place at the cost of others. Best, stop letting Huawei selling any product in rest of world. Stealing,copying,hacking,etc of others products in China is normal, past time.
    Don't be fooled, none of charges on Huawei has been proved.
    What we know is Apple using 769 patent of Huawei and Huawei using only 98 patent from Apple, so Apple has to pays Huawei hundreds of millions dollars to produce iPhone with Huawei technologies. 
    Even more , Huawei develops half of 5G standards and patents , US counld build 5G network without Huawei devices, but couldn't avoid Huawei 5g technologies, once you pay for 5G service, you pay to Huawei too.
  • Reply 88 of 131
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wood1208 said:
    This is huge problem in past and still going on. Mr. Trump and rest of World leaders, please stop these Chinese theft of tech and there desire to succeed in market place at the cost of others. Best, stop letting Huawei selling any product in rest of world. Stealing,copying,hacking,etc of others products in China is normal, past time.
    What we know is Apple using 769 patent of Huawei and Huawei using only 98 patent from Apple, so Apple has to pays Huawei hundreds of millions dollars to produce iPhone with Huawei technologies. 
    Even more , Huawei develops half of 5G standards and patents , US counld build 5G network without Huawei devices, but couldn't avoid Huawei 5g technologies, once you pay for 5G service, you pay to Huawei too.
    Ignoring the fact that you’re throwing out now numbers without a single link, it’s hardly surprising that Huawei only pays for 98 patents if they’re stealing everything else. 
    muthuk_vanalingamStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 131
    Rayz2016 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Ignoring the fact that you’re throwing out now numbers without a single link, it’s hardly surprising that Huawei only pays for 98 patents if they’re stealing everything else. 
    Be smart, if Huawei stealing those technologies why Apple pays to Huawei instead of the origin? You got a lot to learn.

Apple to Pay Hundreds of Millions of Dollars in Patent Royalties to Huawei Every Year
    https://www.yicaiglobal.com/news/apple-pay-hundreds-millions-dollars-patent-royalties-huawei-every-year

China's Huawei leads international patent filings: WIPO
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN0MF17820150319

• Reply 90 of 131

Apple to Pay Hundreds of Millions of Dollars in Patent Royalties to Huawei Every Year

https://www.yicaiglobal.com/news/apple-pay-hundreds-millions-dollars-patent-royalties-huawei-every-year

China's Huawei leads international patent filings: WIPO

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN0MF17820150319

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese telecom giant Huawei Technologies Co Ltd [HWT.UL] became the world's No. 1 applicant for international patents in 2014, a United Nations agency said Thursday, underscoring the innovative strides made by Chinese technology companies.

Huawei was followed by San Diego-based chipmaker Qualcomm Inc while Huawei's crosstown rival ZTE Corp, which was the world's leading applicant in 2012, took third place in its number of filings, according to the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).

WIPO's report, which is sometimes viewed as a rough barometer of a country's technological progress, noted that China was the only country to see double-digit growth in its filings, although U.S. companies led by far. High-tech and automotive powerhouse Japan, home to last year's leading applicant Panasonic Corp, saw its total filings slide.

Huawei has touted its yearly research and development budget - equal to 10 percent of its revenue - as proportionally higher than many of its peers in industry. Chief Executive Ken Hu told reporters in Barcelona this month Huawei will spend $600 million on 5G wireless research and development from 2013 to 2018.

avon b7
  • Reply 91 of 131
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Al_ien1 said:
    The US has been doing the same thing for decades. There is a Foriegn Technology Division in WPAFB in Ohio whose purpose is to reverse engineer Foriegn Technology! China has invested untold Billions of dollars in technology while the US has SPENT untold Billions on the military. If America had created the 5G technology first they would be pushing it to countries around the world (for spying as well ) and no one would have heard of Huawei. 
    OK, you China trolls that are showing up in spades. Here's a simple question that I invite any one of you to answer: Name one -- not two, not three, not four, just one -- product or service created/innovated by China in the past, let's say, three decades that has become a global product or service. I dare you to name one.

I'll wait.
    That reminded me of the 'what have the Romans ever done for us?' in the Life of Brian. LOL.

But if we are ignoring what the Chinese gave to the world centuries ago and limiting scope to the last few decades, I'd say China is leading the way in technologies related to facial recognition and exporting them with success but what is perhaps more noteworthy is the progess it has made in innovation and technology during the last 30 years:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w22854.pdf [.pdf]

And I suppose Chow Mein doesn't count ;-)

Joking apart, let's not forget that Huawei is going to be a major player in 5G and everything associated with the technologies that branch out from it.
    Ah, I knew that ridiculous stuff like centuries old "chow mein" -- heck, I'll even grant you paper, porcelain, and gunpowder -- would be trotted out.

The only example you can come up with is a yet-to-be proven "..leading the way in in technologies related to facial recognition and exporting them with success...." How exactly are they leading the way except in building the surveillance state? Who are the companies doing this? What are their revenues? To whom are they exporting? What is the value of their exports? How does it compare with their $500B in Chinese exports to the US of other stuff that the rest of the world created or innovated?

Btw, do you know who came up with facial recognition technology, and where? (Hint: It's not China).

That's all you can come up with?! Did China come up with.... let me throw out a few random things from just the last 30 or so years... Laptops? Email? E-commerce? Search? Social networking? GUI? MRI? Flash memory? Lasers? Robotic surgery? DNA testing? RFID? Barcodes? Stents? Smartphones? Tablets? Biofuels? ATMs? LEDs? LCDs? GPS? Large scale wind turbines? PV cells? Digital photography?

If you go back a bit more, did China come up with world-changing things like Airplanes? Fiber optics? Internet? Software/programming languages? Automobiles? The internal combustion engine? Rockets? Satellites? Penicillin? The germ theory of disease? Open heart surgery? Semiconductors? Want me to go on? Want 20 more such examples? 50 more? 100 more?

Name ONE innovation from China -- OK, I'll expand it to the last 100 years -- that's in the same league as any of these. ONE. (I don't wish to single out China -- I'll take any Asian country as an example in the same league of innovative ability, if you can provide it).

Pathetic... please just slink away...

As I said, what is far more important is how they have progressed and where they might be heading over the coming decades. The document I linked to is quite informative. Especially the section on patents

Facial recognition technology is not something people want to speak openly about but Chinese tech is currently in testing or being used around the world in both the public and private sector. HiSilicon is also developing (well it has already deployed) custom AI silicon to advance the technology even further.

Facial recognition wasn't the only thing I mentioned. I also mentioned 5G and the possible developments arising from that.
    1) “How they progressed and where they might heading”: bottom line, you cannot name a SINGLE Chinese innovation of consequence. My original question and its premise stands. 

2) “Facial recognition technology is not something that people want to talk about”: yet you somehow know? Stop this utter bullshit 

3) What about 5G? Did China develop it? Do you know the history of 5G? What ‘possible developments’? Again, utter bullshit. 

In fact, for all the IP that has been stolen, I hope you’ll have something to show for it going forward. Something original and impactful that builds on all that theft, for a change. 

Like I said before, stop embarrassing yourself. And your country. Just slink away, man, and take all your troll pals with you. 
    1. Why does it matter? All the great civilisations gave us good and bad. We are supposed to learn from those aspects and improve on them. Many Apple patents actually name people of Chinese descendency. One of the major differences between the progress of Russian and Chinese communist systems over the last decades has been emmigration of Chinese nationals. Now there are many Chinese companies outside China contributing to the patent pool.  You deliberately limited your question to a timeframe which included a period when China was going through reform. In spite of that I dug out a document that showed the huge progress made in technology stakes during the period. The document's conclusions are somewhat open ended as no one knows what the future may hold. Nevertheless it details wholesale advances in its technological patent output (a recognised metric) which shows no signs of slowing down. In the case if Huawei it is said that Apple licences close to 800 patents from the company.

2. Facial recognition is a delicate subject for obvious reasons. Many governments favour implementation of systems but are wary of a public backlash and try to keep plans under wraps. That doesn't change the fact that the Chinese (again for obvious reasons) are widely accepted as currently leading the race here.

3. 5G. Huawei has been a major player in the development of 5G. 'Possible developments' refers to where things will go after deployment. One of the major US fears is seeing Chinese companies deploy systems and actually start developing solutions for them well in advance of US efforts. The connected world is simply a slogan at this point but there are big plans. The problem - today - is that there is very little deployment. That is quickly being resolved as we speak and the US is not really in the race at this point, hence these actions by Pompeo and company who fear the US losing strategic importance across the board (military, economic, scientific, consumer, industry etc). The theoretical implications are vast and 5G may provide the threads that tie it all together. People are talking about 5G as a new revolution. It is early days but I can see why the US is more than worried.

Read this and play close attention to the quotes of US government representatives:

https://www.scmp.com/comment/insight-opinion/article/2186661/huawei-just-start-5g-will-be-central-front-us-china-war

Let's imagine for a moment that IP was actually stolen. Of all the MASSIVE R&D outlay and technology advances by Huawei to date, and in all fields, how much do you think was stolen?

Try to put some perspective into things because I'm seeing lots of patents coming out of Huawei (for which Apple reportedly pays hundreds of millions of dollars) and smartphone advances that are a long way off appearing on iPhones.

Now re-read the piece and confirm to me that all there is at this point are allegations. Nothing more. I mention this because I get the impression that your mind is already made up.

I will repeat. Truth in any of these allegations apart, we are in the middle of a slur campaign by the US government that has so far not offered any evidence of what it is claiming. In fact, and as of today, Huawei phones are still on sale in the US and worldwide, and are  smashing sales records. What better reason could there be to try and tarnish the name of the company in an attempt slow its progress down?

However, speculation apart, I prefer the facts, of which none have yet been presented. Do you agree?

A heads up for you. MWC is next week. Huawei has spent over 18 million euros on its stand at the show and wants its voice to be heard. 

Here is a little taste of reality in this ongoing saga:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-19/trump-s-huawei-threats-dismissed-in-italian-pivot-toward-china

The word bullying is now being heard with regards to US attempts to impact Huawei's progress on foreign soil. There is a growing feeling of 'we don't want you meddling in our internal affairs to suit your [US] interests'.

When Pompeo began threatening nations, it really looks to have irritated some governments. I will remind you of leaked comments by high ranking EU officials after Donald Trump was elected that made it clear that the US should be considered less of an ally given his stance on certain topics. That is truer today than it ever was not so long ago.

edited February 2019 muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 92 of 131
    avon b7 said:

Something is not a "slur campaign" if it's true.
    That's true.  But so far all we've seen is slur with no facts to back it up -- which makes it a slur campaign.
    Amazing that an administration that demands absolute, irrefutable proof of it's own crimes relies on hear-say, speculation and prophesying  when condemning others.
    edited February 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 93 of 131
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

If there is anything illegal going on, I say present charges and get everything out in the air. Does that make sense to you?

Patience, man.

I have little doubt that we'll find out soon. Very soon.
    That's fine but I prefer to hear both sides of the story before reaching conclusions and even then there is more perspective to take into account:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-us-not-china-is-the-real-threat-to-international-rule-of-law/
    The Globe and Mail is an anti-US rag. Moreover, it's not a serious court case, just a journalist spouting stuff. Journalists can -- and do -- say anything (in countries where such things as free speech are allowed).

Sure, let's wait to hear both sides. Wait first for the  extradition to be completed (Step 1). The facts will start to roll out. It's going to become very quickly uncomfortable for Huawei (Step 2). My popcorn is ordered.
    You can't commit a crime against an illegal enterprise -- and the world has recognized that the U.S. is on the wrong side of this whole affair.  Several European countries are in the process of establishing their own financial systems independent of the U.S.'s to get around this nonsense.
  • Reply 94 of 131
    I really have to laugh at all these "China / Huawei can't innovate -- all they do is steal and copy" comments because they are so very remiscent of our comments about Japanese steel and Japanese cars 40 years ago -- right before they crushed both of our most important and powerful industries.  Since then we have learned to emulate them in both industries:  The tiny bit of U.S. steel production running today is using the same techniques we copies from the Japanese.   And GM, Ford and Chrysler still trying to match Toyota and Honda in quality -- actually, Ford pretty much gave up and stopped manufacturing cars.

What America has done best over these past 40 years is delusion and denial.

Our claims against Huawei sound like the exact same kind of denial and delusion.  They beat us at 5G and we can't deal with it.

I suspect the same thing will play out here:  The slur campaign will continue until we manage to copy their technology.
  • Reply 95 of 131
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/angry-over-campus-speech-by-uighur-activist-students-in-canada-contact-chinese-consulate-film-presentation/2019/02/14/a442fbe4-306d-11e9-ac6c-14eea99d5e24_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.92b14630d0a6

"In the following days, Chinese student groups published a “bulletin report” about Turdush’s talk. The bulletin, which was co-signed by five McMaster student groups, including the Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA), noted contact with the Chinese Consulate in Toronto."

Chinese students; yet another front of the CCP.

Hard to imagine why people would question that a "private" company, Huawei, run by Chinese Communist Party members would be considered a national security risk, yet here we are with yet more Huawei support from posters.

Students ratting out their brethren to the Chinese Consulate in Canada is a line crossed.
    edited February 2019 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 131
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

If there is anything illegal going on, I say present charges and get everything out in the air. Does that make sense to you?

Patience, man.

That's fine but I prefer to hear both sides of the story before reaching conclusions and even then there is more perspective to take into account:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-us-not-china-is-the-real-threat-to-international-rule-of-law/
    The Globe and Mail is an anti-US rag. Moreover, it's not a serious court case, just a journalist spouting stuff. Journalists can -- and do -- say anything (in countries where such things as free speech are allowed).

Sure, let's wait to hear both sides. Wait first for the  extradition to be completed (Step 1). The facts will start to roll out. It's going to become very quickly uncomfortable for Huawei (Step 2). My popcorn is ordered.
    You can't commit a crime against an illegal enterprise -- and the world has recognized that the U.S. is on the wrong side of this whole affair.  Several European countries are in the process of establishing their own financial systems independent of the U.S.'s to get around this nonsense.
    Get in touch when that happens. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 97 of 131
    avon b7 said:

That's true.  But so far all we've seen is slur with no facts to back it up -- which makes it a slur campaign.
    Amazing that an administration that demands absolute, irrefutable proof of it's own crimes relies on hear-say, speculation and prophesying  when condemning others.
    Don’t know where you live or what legal systems you’re used to, but “Slur with no facts” would hardly be consistent with a Canadian court arresting and holding this lady for extradition to the US. 

Get real, instead of siding with the fake news brigade. You just come off sounding very stupid, which I am sure you’re not. 
    edited February 2019 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 98 of 131
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Patience, man.

Get in touch when that happens. 
    It's happening.   Try to keep up.
  • Reply 99 of 131
    avon b7 said:

Don’t know where you live or what legal systems you’re used to, but “Slur with no facts” would hardly be consistent with a Canadian court arresting and holding this lady for extradition to the US. 

Get real, instead of siding with the fake news brigade. You just come off sounding very stupid, which I am sure you’re not. 
    canadien's only arrested her at the request of the U.S. -- not because there was any evidence of her or Huawei's wrong doing.   Essentialy, the U.S. wants to hold her as a hostage in their trade war.   Meanwhile,  as I pointed out, European countries are saying the U.S. is out of line on the whole affair and setting up their own financial systems to bypass the U.S. and its Alternative Facts based facts.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 100 of 131
    Looking at the U.S. administration's fact-free slur attack on Huawei, one has to wonder why they launched this campaign.

The claim of spying is not supported by any known evidence.  It's merely a slur campaign.   So why are they doing this?

Could it be:
    1)   Huawei is far ahead of the U.S. in 5G technology.
    2)   The U.S. realizes that 5G will become the backbone of much of its infrastructure -- from transportation to medical to IoT.
    3)   The U.S. does not want a Chinese company in control of those essential services.

So, could it be using propaganda and slur tactics to spread fear and doubt and delay them from establishing a foothold until U.S./western companies can catch up?

Yeh, that's speculation.   But, so far, it's the only explanation that fits the facts as we know them.

(And, one of the reasons why Europe is leaning towards Huawei is that, increasingly, they trust China more than they trust the U.S.)
    edited February 2019 avon b7muthuk_vanalingam