'iPad mini 5' CAD file suggests spec bump, no major new features

Posted:
in iPad edited December 2019
More speculation about Apple's rumored fifth-generation iPad mini suggests it won't have any major changes to its appearance, with one prominent leaker examining a CAD file believing the compact tablet will largely be similar to the fourth-generation model but with improved specifications.

Apple's fourth-generation iPad mini, which the fifth-generation model is likely to look like according to rumors
Apple's fourth-generation iPad mini, which the fifth-generation model is likely to look like according to rumors

Rumors surrounding the "iPad mini 5" have been relatively frequent and consistent, with repeated reports claiming Apple is not going to make any big alterations to the design of the tablet. Aside from minor changes, the story so far seems to be one where Apple is preparing to release essentially an unchanged design, though with improved internals to make it more attractive to purchase.

Steve H. McFly, known as OnLeaks on Twitter, claims he has acquired a design drawing for the alleged "iPad mini 5," and that there are "no external design changes" save for a relocated microphone. This seemingly matches details provided from a report one week prior, which claimed the microphone's position shifted from the back to the "center of the upper back."

Just got my hands on alleged #iPadMini5 CAD. If legit (can't vouch at 100%), there is indeed (just as rumored) no external design changes (except of relocated mic, centered on upper back panel). In short, it will very likely be a specs bump only update... pic.twitter.com/z5XuBKZVmN

-- Steve H.McFly (@OnLeaks)

"In short, it will very likely be a specs bump only update," advises McFly. The Twitter post also notes that there is a possibility this could all be wrong, as he "can't vouch at 100%" for the authenticity of the CAD document.

Speculation of a potential launch for a new iPad mini model have accelerated since the start of 2019, and has even involved well-known analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of TF International Securities advising to investors of its likely release.

New iPad models have been confirmed by regulatory filings, but what exactly will be arriving has not yet been determined. In the case of the iPad and iPad mini 5, a late January iOS 12.2 beta release appeared to show references to new iPads that won't work with Face ID, suggesting the continued use of Touch ID.

There has been a suggestion Apple could commence preorders for the new models on March 22.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I’m actually cool with a spec bump only. Give me the latest processor, better reflective coating, longer battery life, 120 hz refresh and beat the starting price of the 2018 9.7 inch iPad (maybe start at $249) and I’m sold.
    edited February 2019 albegarcdavendws-2Metriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 2 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Even if this is true, I can’t see Apple going below $299.
    albegarccgWerks
  • Reply 3 of 12
    supadav03 said:
    I’m actually cool with a spec bump only. Give me the latest processor, better reflective coating, longer battery life, 120 hz refresh and beat the starting price of the 2018 9.7 inch iPad (maybe start at $249) and I’m sold.
    Best case I think is a spec bump to the A11 and a starting price of $299 ($269 for education).  I'm also guessing non-laminated screen and limited Pencil support too.  Probably see a convergence of the iPad and iPad mini with the only difference being the larger screen on the regular iPad.  You are pretty much asking for an iPad Mini Pro which would cost quite a bit more.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 12
    78Bandit said:
    supadav03 said:
    Best case I think is a spec bump to the A11 and a starting price of $299 ($269 for education).  I'm also guessing non-laminated screen and limited Pencil support too.  Probably see a convergence of the iPad and iPad mini with the only difference being the larger screen on the regular iPad.  You are pretty much asking for an iPad Mini Pro which would cost quite a bit more.
    The 9.7 inch 2018 has all I asked for (expect maybe the 120 refresh which I can live without on a mini, and even pencil support) and it starts at $329 but can be found regularly on sale for $249-$269. Why is at $249 price tag for essentially the same device in a smaller form factor crazy? Even if Apple sets it at $299, it will likely get the same type of sales we see in the 9.7 inch models, meaning $60-$80 off. Putting in at $219-$239. That’s would be my expectation otherwise stats the point? Just buy a 9.7 inch and have your XS Max. I’m not paying more for a lesser device because it’s 2 inches smaller. 
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 5 of 12
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    A spec jump works for me. I don't need a mini Pro.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    supadav03 said:
    I think you're being a little optimistic, but I hope not. I'd definitely buy what you're describing!
    supadav03
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Spec bump is really all I want and it will likely keep the price down as well.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Definite buy if it supports the Pencil but I'm not optimistic.
    leftoverbacon
  • Reply 9 of 12
    chasm said:
    Even if this is true, I can’t see Apple going below $299.
    Well of course not. Not for the base price. You'll routinely see it discounted at retailers to $249, and as low as $229 during major holiday sales. 
    supadav03
  • Reply 10 of 12
    No one should expect anything else. Why anyone would ever have expected anything else is beyond me.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Given Apple new thinking about splitting the iPad line into Pro and Budget, seems that Apple has decide to make the Mini 5 a “budget” version that Ithink will be a failure! Most Mini users are businesses and rich individuals! I will wait for a Mini Pro model!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    MgwlMgwl Posts: 11member
    I’ve really not cared too much about the iPad Mini, but recently found myself looking for a small form factor productivity device. Even though I’d hate to leave the Apple eco system, I’ve been eyeing the Gemini (or the upcoming Cosmo) palmtop PDA that has an intergrated keyboard going for it.

On second thought, though, a Mini with a smart connector and keyboard would probably do the trick. Love to see that.