Apple's 2019 hardware roadmap calls for at least 11 new products

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I’ve heard several sources speculating there will be new iMacs in March.
    While that would be nice, why now? There isn’t a new GPU or CPU recently released that would explain a 700 day gap since the iMac was last updated. 
    And if Apple is waiting on a new GPU, it would be Navi in June. Maybe the new intel 9th gen mobile chips, skip the 8th gen altogether? Or is the 8th gen what we get?
  • Reply 42 of 78
    Wouldn't it make more sense to go straight to 8K for the pro market?  Who is using 6K?  8K appears to be the future...
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 43 of 78
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Not surprising to have new hardware, but awesome to have some rumors for them!

Would like to have the 2019 iPhone models be 7 mm thick or less, and adopt an iPhone 4/5 or 2018 iPad Pro industrial design. Not a fan of camera bumps and display notches, but you always have to live with some compromise. Also good to hear that there will be, hopefully, 2020 iPad Pro models by the end of the year. AirPods (would prefer in-ear versions), iPhone, and iPad Pro are all on my shopping list.

If this alleged 16.0 to 16.5 inch MBP comes out by summer, there’s a chance I could get that for work to replace my 2015 MBP15. That would be awesome. Replacing my Apple Thunderbolt Display with this rumored 31.6” display would be really great too. 
    netmage
  • Reply 44 of 78
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    I continue to be bewildered that Apple ceded control of the home automation market to creepy Google and FREAKING AMAZON OF ALL COMPANIES!!! For years Apple was rumored to be jumping into smart home hardware yet we never saw squat materialize. So now if I want a security camera, doorbell or smart thermostat I almost have to buy one from an advertising company that intends to track my every move???
    Low-cost, low-quality providers are always going to beat Apple to market with cheap crap. That has always been the case and will always be the cast, because Apple doesn't have interest in or serve the low-end market (with the exception being the edu market). Are you new to the company or something that you don't know this?

Apple wins out in the end 90 percent of the time (and this often takes many years) because over time consumers pick up on the value of a high-quality product over the disposability of cheap crap. Those Google Home Minis are a great way to introduce yourself to the concept of a smart speaker, but they are also cheap crap that won't be in use two years from now. As for Amazon, they are so busy outing themselves as sophisticated spyware that Apple has to do/say very little to make them look bad -- they make themselves look bad, and like 90 percent of their other self-made products, Amazon's spyware speakers will ultimately fail because they've never been interested in quality.

As for buying smart home hardware, you don't have to buy one from an advertising company -- try doing the slightest modicum of research before saying something that stupid. Look for the HomeKit compatibility logo on the smart home stuff you buy, and take a brief look at the reputation of the company making it. In order to get that HomeKit certification, the company had to build IoT security into the device, and meet certain Apple conditions on how they handle their data.

I’d love to dump DropBox and rely exclusively on iCloud, but iCloud STILL doesn’t do proper versioning. Talk about getting dunked on by the little guy. I’d also love to dump my Office365 subscription, but Pages/Numbers/Keynote continue to creep along like the afterthought they are. All these checks I’m writing to Apple’s competitors and Apple doesn’t seem to care.
    I'd love Apple to either buy or more closely emulate Dropbox in functionality, but first they need to WAY up the amount of space they offer at the free tier (10GB would do). I've yet to find any reason to use Office365 over iWork (or LibreOffice for that matter), but I'm sure there are a small percentage of people who could produce real reasons for sticking with it that weren't laziness-rooted. I note you didn't offer any.

Aperture just didn't sell well enough to justify the expense, but it was a great product in its day. Dumping AirPort, I agree, was a big mistake -- but not for the ecosystem, it was for the superior setup/config and the high level of security. The world could definitely use a super-secure and malware-resistant router right now. As for Lightroom, I would suggest you look very seriously at Luminar 3, I think you'll find a product that beats the pants off both Aperture and Lightroom for a one-time, extremely low cost.
    netmageAppleExposed
  • Reply 45 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    gsteeno said:
    C'mon Apple, please update the iMac.  I've squeezed every last performance drop out of my late 2009 model. 

Doesn't have to be a major step-change...internals and ports like the mini?  

(Well, I do love the space gray body of the iMac Pro.)
    My 2009 iMac finally flatlined October of last year.  I really loved that iMac.  It was such a tank and was the most reliable machine I've ever owned.  It might have failed by my own hands when I opened it up to diagnose a faulty fan.  I've opened it up plenty of times over the years for self-repairs or cleaning, but I think the video cables finally became damaged due to fatigue.  Great that yours is still chugging along.

Even the most latest iMacs are light-years ahead of your 2009 in terms of performance, but I can understand you wanting to wait.  I have a feeling that new iMacs are right around the corner.  I currently have a late 2015 iMac and I'm thinking the next round might be time.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 46 of 78
    But are any of those products really new or are they just updates to existing products? When will we see something truly groundbreaking from Apple?
    Just stop.
    netmageAppleExposedfastasleep
  • Reply 47 of 78
    But are any of those products really new or are they just updates to existing products? When will we see something truly groundbreaking from Apple?
    When Apple is ready - doh!, Also, it will probably be a "just one more thing" surprise, because neither you nor I will have any idea that it's coming (unless it is self driving vehicle software, we all know that's coming).
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 48 of 78
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Now if those Airpods were so vitally important, I would have expected 10 versions in 25 colors by now.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 49 of 78
    PS: or an augmented reality headset, that's coming too. PPS: personally, I won't be satisfied until Apple produce a TARDIS, with a working chameleon circuit!
    80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 50 of 78
    mike54 said:
    16in is pointless, might as well do the 17in. I hope Apple doesn't do a half-arsed larger screen by using 16in.
    Not in the loop... 16” or 16.5” could indicate the current 15” chassis size without bezel.

Say “hi” to a notch on the MBP  🤣
    edited February 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 51 of 78
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    flydog said:
    I wonder:
    Are they going to wait till the MacBook becomes almost totally obsolete and out of date before switching it to an "A Series" processor?
    And, will the addition of a cursor to the iPad be announced as a software or a hardware update?

iPads and iPhones already have cursors, and it's going to be a very long time before you see an Apple processor in a Mac.
    On the first point:  That's true.  They do have cursors.   Now all they need are a mouse or trackpad to control it.
    On the second point:  I doubt it:  The A12 processor is already far more powerful than the Intel garbage in either the MacBook or the MacBook AIr -- and even most MacBook Pros. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 52 of 78
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    I would argue it is really only 2 new products -  Mac Pro and monitor.  Everything else is small incremental improvements.  AirPower is almost a toss away

Of course, all the Services and content efforts will be additional 

You really hope Apple has some new real, tangible products in the pipeline.  If not, this R&D spending has just gotten out of control
  • Reply 53 of 78
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Wow what a busy year if they could fulfill this gigantic order!!

I would hope for an Apple TV this year.

gsteeno said:
    C'mon Apple, please update the iMac.  I've squeezed every last performance drop out of my late 2009 model. 

You have a 2009 iMac. Even a 2012 iMac would be a huge upgrade. No need to wait.

My 2009 iMac is still going strong too BTW.
    As is my 2007 one.  However, as someone else posted, buying a computer with 2 year old specs is a recipe for disappointment.  In the PC world, that rarely stands, as you can just make your own PC and be done with it.  Of course you don’t have the same support and you spend a lot of time reconfiguring, optimizing, and updating the modular design (drivers, O/S) and hope it works after each update.

All in all, I don’t really miss the PC days, but when the time between updates on the Mac, I start looking over the fence to see what’s going on over there...

I don't miss the PC days. Hours of life I'll never get back.
    I miss the days when one could add memory, swap storage and replace the battery, whether in a PC or a Mac.   I've been using Apple products since around 1980.   I might be done.  The late-2016 $3100 MBP I bought is disappointing and I think the pricing was absurd.   There are a lot of things that don't work very well and while I understand progress, it's going to be an incredible disruption when the next version of the OS won't support 32-bit apps anymore so when I have to upgrade my apps, there's certainly an option to buy Windows versions.   I'm still using an iPhone6 and I'm not very excited about having to spend $1000 for a new phone.   The only thing in Apple's favor is that I don't trust Google/Android at all.   

The iPhone constituted 61.7% of Apple's first quarter net sales.   That's a decline from Q1 2018, when it was 69.2%, but that's good news for Apple as they need better balance with the rest of the product line.   But I agree with those who believe that Apple needs another groundbreaking product line.   Apple seems to be putting their cards on services, but that might be a mistake as ATT/Warner, Disney and several others are launching their own streaming services and once they do, they're likely to hold prime product back from Apple and other competitors.   

As for those who want more from Apple in regards to the Mac, the Mac is now only 8.8% of Apple's net sales and is only slightly larger than the wearables business.   Unbelievable.    What do you think Apple is going to focus on?   I'm surprised Apple still makes as many Mac models as they do.   

Apple's 2nd Q results should be interesting.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    red oak said:
    I would argue it is really only 2 new products -  Mac Pro and monitor.  Everything else is small incremental improvements.  AirPower is almost a toss away

You really hope Apple has some new real, tangible products in the pipeline.  If not, this R&D spending has just gotten out of control
    Apple’s R&D is considered low comparatively. 

Are you likewise concerned that Google’s only product is selling ads? Facebook same? Netflix is still just streaming video? Beverage companies are only selling more drinks? Black & Decker is still selling power tools? Dell is only selling computers? Etc.

The claim that Apple has to invent new shit to keep nerds from getting bored is preposterous. Incremental improvement is how Apple rolls, and what has brought us the modern Mac and modern iPhone. Gruber’s piece is almost 10 years old now, still relevant:

https://www.macworld.com/article/1151235/macs/apple-rolls.html

edited February 2019 AppleExposedfastasleep
  • Reply 55 of 78

zoetmb said:
    Wow what a busy year if they could fulfill this gigantic order!!

I would hope for an Apple TV this year.

gsteeno said:

You have a 2009 iMac. Even a 2012 iMac would be a huge upgrade. No need to wait.

My 2009 iMac is still going strong too BTW.
    As is my 2007 one.  However, as someone else posted, buying a computer with 2 year old specs is a recipe for disappointment.  In the PC world, that rarely stands, as you can just make your own PC and be done with it.  Of course you don’t have the same support and you spend a lot of time reconfiguring, optimizing, and updating the modular design (drivers, O/S) and hope it works after each update.

All in all, I don’t really miss the PC days, but when the time between updates on the Mac, I start looking over the fence to see what’s going on over there...

I don't miss the PC days. Hours of life I'll never get back.
    I miss the days when one could add memory, swap storage and replace the battery, whether in a PC or a Mac.   I've been using Apple products since around 1980.   I might be done.  The late-2016 $3100 MBP I bought is disappointing and I think the pricing was absurd.   There are a lot of things that don't work very well and while I understand progress, it's going to be an incredible disruption when the next version of the OS won't support 32-bit apps anymore so when I have to upgrade my apps, there's certainly an option to buy Windows versions.   I'm still using an iPhone6 and I'm not very excited about having to spend $1000 for a new phone.   The only thing in Apple's favor is that I don't trust Google/Android at all.   
    What on earth are you talking about? You don’t have to spend $1000 on a new iphone — unless you want and can afford the top-tier offering. If not, get one of the lower-tier price points, such as $750, $600, or $550. Your choice. 

The days of normal people doing DIY PC service like memory, storage or batteries is waning. Same as how cars got more complex and most normals don’t do oil changes, brakes, water pumps, or even spark plugs or batteries. Do you lament that? Or do you apply reason and acknowledge the automotive gains are worth the complexity? Same with computing gains. 

But please, dear Apple ][ user, drop Apple and get a Dell. It must surely be nirvana. 
    AppleExposedfastasleep
  • Reply 56 of 78
    My iMac 2019 features

Apple came up with an exceptional industrial design for the iMac 2009-2012 which provided ample space behind the display to ensure proper heat dissipation and great acoustic properties. The iMac 2009-2012 form factor projected an overall image of quality and sturdiness.

When it was first introduced in October 2009, the iMac 2009-2012 was the first computer from Apple to use a quad-core CPU for the general public. It was also the first computer for the general public to include a standard 27 inch display, a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse.

The iMac 2009-2012 was a resounding success. Most companies won't abandon a successful design because they know that lightning doesn't strike twice, especially over a short period of time.

In October 2019, it will be 10 years that the iMac 2009-2012 was first introduced. To celebrate the innovative and highly successful design of the iMac 2009-2012, it's time to return back to the basics and introduce updated components into a brand new iMac 2019 with the iMac 2009-2012 form factor.

I feel that Apple and Apple engineers have to be challenged to design and produce really exceptional computers for the general public. Apple is the king of portable computing with MacBooks, iPads and iPhones. Thin, light and energy saving are key features for portable computing with a rechargeable battery, but not for a desktop computer or an all-in-one desktop computer where the emphasis should be on powerful desktop components, large display, massive storage options, exceptional sound quality from loudspeakers, not headphones, and proper heat dissipation.

Here's what I am looking for in a 2019 iMac model that would meet my needs:

1 - Optional 8 to 14 TB Fusion drives with a 256 GB SSD.

A 8 TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro SATA HDD, 7200 RPM, 6 Gb/s transfer rate, 256 MB cache, 3.5 inch internal hard drive for desktop computers has a retail price of $272.57 on Amazon, while the top of the line 14 TB model has a retail price of $576.29. The 10 TB model sells for $344.99 and the 12 TB model sells for $437.99.

If these internal hard disk drives for desktop computers are available from Amazon, Seagate and Hitachi (HGT), I expect them to be available when buying a brand new iMac. It's both a question of meeting my needs and future proofing my purchase of a brand new iMac.

There is no excuse for offering brand new iMacs with only 2 or 3 TB Fusion drives. Leave a cheaper option with a 2 TB Fusion drive, but offer a standard 6 TB Fusion drive with a 256 GB SSD and optional increments of 8 TB to 14 TB Fusion drives with a 256 GB SSD. As Apple offers iPads and iPhones that come standard with a 256 GB SSD, it should be easy to standardize on 256 GB SSDs for Fusion drives in iMacs.

2 - Exceptional sound quality comparable to the iMac 2009-2012, possibly due to the great acoustics of the iMac 2009-2012 form factor and the loudspeakers used. Needless to say, exceptional sound quality is a key feature for anyone who stores his digital music collection on an iMac and enjoys listening to music while performing other tasks on an iMac.

3 - A next generation desktop CPU and desktop GPU for the all-in-one desktop iMac, not the less powerful CPU and GPU alternatives typically used in portable computers.

4 - A RAM access door to add memory modules after the iMac is bought.

5 - Possibly a digital FM radio tuner to make it possible to listen to music, talk shows and local news while working on an iMac. I dream of the possibility to watch TV news and series in the top right corner of an iMac while using the iMac to work or read, but I accept that the time has not come yet for such a feature.

6 - Possibly a larger display, a 30, 32 or 35 inch display, just like Apple was the first computer maker to offer in 2009 a standard 27 inch display in an all-in-one computer for the general public.

7 - Possibly some connectors on the right side of the iMac's display for easier occasional access to connectors, let's say 2 USB connectors and 1 or 2 Thunderbolt connectors.

8 - Possibly a better air flow with the possibility for each user to set the fans to run all the time at 10% of their maximum speed, thereby providing a quiet but constant air flow. A third party Canadian utility 'TG Pro' enables similar functionality, but it would be great if it were included in every iMac.

It is a challenge to design a computer that meets the needs of potential buyers. I hope that this was helpful to Apple, Apple engineers and millions of iMac users.

• Reply 57 of 78
    How much is the Apple monitor going to cost?

I'm weighing an Apple monitor against an EV. What should I get? 
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 58 of 78
    Apple couldn't charge more than $7,000 for a 15" MacBook Pro. The most they could charge was $6,700 USD. 

So, it's really an ingenious solution to the problem. Let's make it 16" and charge $10,000 for it.

Brilliant, Tim! I can tell you are working hard on reversing the slowdown in the earnings. 
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 59 of 78
    Question about the MacBook Pro without bezels. Will it have a spring-loaded open action? Otherwise, how do I keep my fingerprints off the screen? 
  • Reply 60 of 78
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    red oak said:

That may be the real product.   As you say, (most of) the rest is just evolution rather than revolution.