Apple executive team shakeups causing multiple projects to be put on hold

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Fake news. 

People change all the time in large companies. These changes will probably affect nobody at all outside the Siri team, and not too many people in there. 
    netmage
  • Reply 22 of 30
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I think this video service is going to end up being embarrassing for Apple, in large part because of their insistence on "family friendly" content. While I'm totally fine with not having GOT levels of nudity and violence. Limiting your show roster to stuff that could air in Prime Time with nothing to differentiate it aside from a higher budget is a recipe for disaster. Writers simply won't do a good job when they live under a ton of restrictions. I'll be happy if I'm wrong, but I suspect that critics will pain their shows, and Apple will pivot into allowing writers and directors more freedom but it'll have already tainted their image. Actually I think this could be the thing that really kills Apple as a "cool brand". I feel like their design prowess will save them. But I think the brand's value will probably take a big hit from this video service. iTunes and Apple Music were safe because none of those reflected on Apple's creativity, Apple wasn't picking the music ... aside from that one awful U2 experiment. I don't think people realize how much of a risk this is. Even if they give away the video content, this service is probably going to cost them way more than the billion they spent on content in the long run. At least CBS All Access had a great Star Trek and a Good Wife spin off (if literally nothing else). Apple is launching without any known quantity franchises. Literally every show has the potential to be a bust.
    I agree and have stated many times that Apple will do everything it can to keep it's shiny, family friendly brand from anything controversial or too niche. Of course I could be proven wrong with Apple using a similar log in restriction as Netflix has. I am not too confident that Apple's left-brained approach will be able to recognize art in film. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Those in the industry know that the WSJ article is simply what's called a "manufactured" article written because the writer needs to stay employed.  The writer doesn't have any actual news to write about, so they take some publicly known information, such as the two executive changes and transfer of 200 employees from one project to others, and call someone they know. That "source" doesn't have anything useful to report either, but makes some inane comment like some of the employees are "rattled," and voila the writer has their angle to get a story out to keep their boss at bay for another week, while they desperately troll the waters for something else to write about Apple.

AI also has to pay the bills so they repeat this drivel to have some content on their website, but we at least can hope for some context, e..g, there are over a hundred thousand employees so it's silly to suggest employees are rattled over 200 being reassigned from a very large project, or that the head of Retail leaving after 5 years is of concern to more than a few high level people. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 24 of 30
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    I think this video service is going to end up being embarrassing for Apple, in large part because of their insistence on "family friendly" content. 

Exactly. Trying to be Disney. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 25 of 30
    spice-boy said:
    I think this video service is going to end up being embarrassing for Apple, in large part because of their insistence on "family friendly" content. While I'm totally fine with not having GOT levels of nudity and violence. Limiting your show roster to stuff that could air in Prime Time with nothing to differentiate it aside from a higher budget is a recipe for disaster. Writers simply won't do a good job when they live under a ton of restrictions. I'll be happy if I'm wrong, but I suspect that critics will pain their shows, and Apple will pivot into allowing writers and directors more freedom but it'll have already tainted their image. Actually I think this could be the thing that really kills Apple as a "cool brand". I feel like their design prowess will save them. But I think the brand's value will probably take a big hit from this video service. iTunes and Apple Music were safe because none of those reflected on Apple's creativity, Apple wasn't picking the music ... aside from that one awful U2 experiment. I don't think people realize how much of a risk this is. Even if they give away the video content, this service is probably going to cost them way more than the billion they spent on content in the long run. At least CBS All Access had a great Star Trek and a Good Wife spin off (if literally nothing else). Apple is launching without any known quantity franchises. Literally every show has the potential to be a bust.
    I agree and have stated many times that Apple will do everything it can to keep it's shiny, family friendly brand from anything controversial or too niche. Of course I could be proven wrong with Apple using a similar log in restriction as Netflix has. I am not too confident that Apple's left-brained approach will be able to recognize art in film. 
    And yet from a music perspective, Apple is pretty heavily into hip hop.  Not exactly the most family-friendly music genre.  How about we wait and see what Apple actually announces?
  • Reply 26 of 30
    davgreg said:
    I think this video service is going to end up being embarrassing for Apple, in large part because of their insistence on "family friendly" content. 

Yeah and Disney is such a flop.  How many of the top 5 grossing films last year were from Disney?  Just 3?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 30
    davgreg said:

Hahaha yes, that failing Disney. Are you fucking kidding?
  • Reply 28 of 30
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    davgreg said:

Yeah and Disney is such a flop.  How many of the top 5 grossing films last year were from Disney?  Just 3?
    But only $7B in box office revenue...pikers.

Actually, sarcasm aside, its amazing Apple "other products" made $17B in 2018Q4...and the iPad was $18B. 
  • Reply 29 of 30
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    davgreg said:

Or worse, Hallmark!
  • Reply 30 of 30
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Yay, more “pivoting toward services” nonsense. It’s gross that the idiotic gambling of public ownership continues to push companies away from making actual products that are worth the money demanded of consumers. Don’t want to lose profits to product research, design, engineering, testing, QA...? Sell a “service”.