Mac Pro will be 'easy-to-upgrade,' debut in 2019 alongside 31.6-inch Apple 6K display

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73

DuhSesame said:
    abolish said:
    What is a “6K3K” display?
    Exactly - will this be yet another proprietary 'bag of hurt' from Apple like the 5K displays ?

My vote would be for 40" 4K @ 110 dpi and 40" 8k at 220 dpi pro retina - this would tie in with cinema, thunderbolt, scaled retina, apple tv 4k (8k?) and so much more... After using the former (40" 4k) I find 27" anything surprisingly ineffective and inefficient in comparison.

I look forward to an effective upgrade to the 17" mbp, hopefully @ 4k...

...and please a mini that has a discrete gpu to match the upgraded cpu, and all with flexible internal industry standard upgradable storage & ram options... 'Pro' computers 'for the rest of us'...?

I guess time will tell...

You can enable 4K on a 15” by simply using “more space” option.
    No you cannot. What are you smoking?
  • Reply 62 of 73
    bobolicious said:
    [...] the mini without a discrete GPU questioned by so many
    Just as many question the pricing of the mini as it is. On one hand you have those who say the mini is not complete without a dedicated GPU, on the other you have those saying it's too expensive. How can Apple satisfy both camps?

The answer is to provide a method of adding a GPU so those who don't need or want it don't have to pay for it but those who do still have the option. That method is an external GPU via Thunderbolt.

This has some advantages even beyond flexible pricing. There is no place my setting for a giant box like the old aluminum Mac Pro, but a mini, external GPU, and external storage can all sit next to each other on a bookshelf. I wind up with the same net result, but in a much more adaptable physical form.

Using modular components this way may not be what we're used to, but it strikes me as a pretty good idea.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 73
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    DisplayPort 1.4 has a max resolution of 7680x4320 at 60Hz.
    So with that resolution DisplayPort 1.4 could potentially go up to 8K. Too bad we are going up to 6K next. Would any existing eGPUs support a 6K monitor? How about the "BlackMagic eGPU Pro"? Since Apple helped make that eGPU, and Apple knew 6K was coming, perhaps it's capable of 6K? 
    The BlackMagic eGPU Pro is a Vega 56, so it is not doing a solid 6K anytime soon...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Since Thunderbolt 3 comes from the motherboard, is it such a good idea to use as your main display connection instead of DP or HDMI which can come directly from the GPU?
    The Thunderbolt protocol encapsulates DisplayPort- so any display you hook up to a TB3 port is indeed using the GPU (MacBook Pros *only* have TB3 ports, so it'd be a bummer t'were that not the case). In fact because TB3 uses DP1.4 those ports can drive higher resolution displays than say the HDMI 2.0 port on the new Mac mini (5k vs. 4k).
    I get that, it's not what I'm asking.  Is the Thunderbolt port attached to the GPU or the motherboard?  i.e. does the video processing need to take a route back to the CPU in order to get out of the machine and to the display?  And if it does, and you can have DisplayPort off the GPU instead, would that be more efficient than running from Thunderbolt off the motherboard?
  • Reply 65 of 73
    k2kw said:
    Can I hope for a laptop with a greater travel keyboard?
    JFC will you shut up about this on articles not related to keyboards please?
    Amen!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 66 of 73
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Since Thunderbolt 3 comes from the motherboard, is it such a good idea to use as your main display connection instead of DP or HDMI which can come directly from the GPU?
    The Thunderbolt protocol encapsulates DisplayPort- so any display you hook up to a TB3 port is indeed using the GPU (MacBook Pros *only* have TB3 ports, so it'd be a bummer t'were that not the case). In fact because TB3 uses DP1.4 those ports can drive higher resolution displays than say the HDMI 2.0 port on the new Mac mini (5k vs. 4k).
    I get that, it's not what I'm asking.  Is the Thunderbolt port attached to the GPU or the motherboard?  i.e. does the video processing need to take a route back to the CPU in order to get out of the machine and to the display?  And if it does, and you can have DisplayPort off the GPU instead, would that be more efficient than running from Thunderbolt off the motherboard?
    The TB3 port is not directly attached to the GPU. It has a separate controller chip on the Main Logicboard. It would be silly to run the TB3 port through the GPU as its not always used for video. In the attached photo via iFixit, the cyan blue are the TB3 controller chips on this particular Main Logicboard from the 2018 Mac mini. 
  • Reply 67 of 73
    wozwoz said:
    EsquireCats said:
    Would be nice if it had: wireless charging at the base for the phones, trudepth camera for login, and preferably some kind of wired audio out port. (The mac pro's port is too far away.)
    I would really like to have a wireless charging mat integrated nicely in the display stand...
    Oh good lord - please no wireless crap radiating my head in a monitor. 
    I've already ripped the wi-fi crap out of the Mac Pro, and have my desk and home free of any wi-fi emitting radiation. Bliss.

Time to take off the tinfoil hat, inductive charging doesn't involve wifi and wifi isn't cooking your head or whatever.

You taking down the radio towers in your neighborhood as well?
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 68 of 73
    wozwoz said:
    EsquireCats said:
    Would be nice if it had: wireless charging at the base for the phones, trudepth camera for login, and preferably some kind of wired audio out port. (The mac pro's port is too far away.)
    I would really like to have a wireless charging mat integrated nicely in the display stand...
    I've already ripped the wi-fi crap out of the Mac Pro, and have my desk and home free of any wi-fi emitting radiation. Bliss.

Time to take off the tinfoil hat, inductive charging doesn't involve wifi and wifi isn't cooking your head or whatever.

Do you want to tell him about the EM fields radiating around his wiring or should I? Probably better to start him off with a minor shock like that before we get into the myriad radiations bombarding the Earth from space.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    HwGeek said:
    Mark my words, New Mac Pro will be AMD based + Intel TB3 standalone expansion card.
    Intel has no CPU to add value to current iMac Pro 18C, and also no solution will be upgrade(future Intel's CPU's will require new socket).
    I think it will be semi-custom models for APPLE needs (Something Between EPYC ROME ~ThreadRipper3) with 8ch memory support.
    Also with blazing fast NVMe storage thanks to high count AMD's  Gen4 PCI-E lanes. and it's gonna be sold at nice premium price.
    Also Vega VII 16GB and 32GB models.
    P.S - as Welshdog said:
    Mostly because really powerful PCs were available with lots of slots and fast CPU/GPUs - much faster than any available Mac.
    New ThreadRipper with 48C~64C is coming this year(+ Gen4 PCIE), and no one will spend High premium $$$ for slower Intel based Mac Pro this year.

P.S:
    TB on ThreadRipper platform:

"Here we show off the Gigabyte Designare X399 w/the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge TB controller. "

https://level1techs.com/video/where-thunderbolt-threadripper-here-it

Doesn't Intel have a new scalable processor coming this year?
  • Reply 70 of 73
    wozwoz said:
    EsquireCats said:

Do you want to tell him about the EM fields radiating around his wiring or should I? Probably better to start him off with a minor shock like that before we get into the myriad radiations bombarding the Earth from space.
    I was gonna post instructions on how to turn his house into a Faraday cage.
    lorin schultz
  • Reply 71 of 73
    mattinoz said:
    HwGeek said:
    Mark my words, New Mac Pro will be AMD based + Intel TB3 standalone expansion card.
    Intel has no CPU to add value to current iMac Pro 18C, and also no solution will be upgrade(future Intel's CPU's will require new socket).
    I think it will be semi-custom models for APPLE needs (Something Between EPYC ROME ~ThreadRipper3) with 8ch memory support.
    Also with blazing fast NVMe storage thanks to high count AMD's  Gen4 PCI-E lanes. and it's gonna be sold at nice premium price.
    Also Vega VII 16GB and 32GB models.
    P.S - as Welshdog said:
    Mostly because really powerful PCs were available with lots of slots and fast CPU/GPUs - much faster than any available Mac.
    New ThreadRipper with 48C~64C is coming this year(+ Gen4 PCIE), and no one will spend High premium $$$ for slower Intel based Mac Pro this year.

P.S:
    TB on ThreadRipper platform:

"Here we show off the Gigabyte Designare X399 w/the Gigabyte Alpine Ridge TB controller. "
    https://level1techs.com/video/where-thunderbolt-threadripper-here-it

Doesn't Intel have a new scalable processor coming this year?
    48-Core Cascade Lake-AP?
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-cascade-lake-xeon-ap-e-2100,38017.html

This is just 2 Xeon® Platinum 8160 Processor "Glued" together , and the price will be more then MAC PRO itself :-).
    the New Chiplet design is very cheap to manufacture (small chiplets- high yields) versues massive monolithic 24c Xeon.
    The 10nm parts will be slower then current advanced 14nm+++, so we need to wait 10nm+ or ever 10nm++(2020/2021?) to get real improvement based on what tech reviewer found.
    So,  what do  you think that Apple will launch with the new Mac Pro in 2019? simply using current top of the like i9-9980XE 18C @ $2000 with Vega VII and upgrade-able  memory will be enough?

edited February 2019
  • Reply 72 of 73
    wozwoz said:
    EsquireCats said:

I was gonna post instructions on how to turn his house into a Faraday cage.
    I found out the hard way that stucco is a good start. It attaches to the wall with steel mesh. Even without careful grounding and continuity it does a remarkably good job of attenuating RF! LTE signal strength drops by half just stepping inside from the back yard.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 73 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macxpress said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    The TB3 port is not directly attached to the GPU. It has a separate controller chip on the Main Logicboard. It would be silly to run the TB3 port through the GPU as its not always used for video. In the attached photo via iFixit, the cyan blue are the TB3 controller chips on this particular Main Logicboard from the 2018 Mac mini. 
    Ok, so as I suspected, and my original question stands.  Though tbh I've lot interest myself at this point.