HomePod sales up in fourth quarter, Amazon and Google extending lead

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    4.9% => 4.1% market share, and supposedly 0% profit.  Market Share actually matters below a critical mass and when you want 3rd parties to support you largely ignored Home Kit.  This is starting to feel like Windows Mobile.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    larrya said:
    4.9% => 4.1% market share, and supposedly 0% profit.  Market Share actually matters below a critical mass and when you want 3rd parties to support you largely ignored Home Kit.  This is starting to feel like Windows Mobile.
    Nope, market share still doesn’t matter here. It’s not an app platform, it’s an AirPlay speaker. Techies on rumor sites might like to whine about it, but that whining is inconsequential. If you want a high-quality shelf speaker that is AirPlay compatible, this is it.
    bakedbananas
  • Reply 43 of 44
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    I wish the chart had a column for profits (in addition to market share, revenue and growth.) Not only would that give Apple a respectable showing, but it would also be the most meaningful measure of success.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I wish the chart had a column for profits (in addition to market share, revenue and growth.) Not only would that give Apple a respectable showing, but it would also be the most meaningful measure of success.
    I thought there was an article a couple months back here that claimed Apple was breaking even or selling at a slight loss on the Homepod. If accurate both Google and Amazon might be earning (losing) as much on their smart speakers as Apple is. 

EDIT: Yup there was
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/02/01/apple-rumored-to-sell-apple-tv-4k-homepod-at-cost
    edited April 2019