The Galaxy Fold is Samsung's $1980 7.3-inch folding smartphone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    Who asked for this crap? I hope Apple never does this!  Pretty soon you can roll up a Samsung phone and shove it directly up your a$$ for charging both you and the phone! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 95
    I wonder how many folding/unfolding cycles it will take to break the phone.
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 43 of 95
    jimh2 said:
    e_life said:
    All Samsung hate aside; You have to admit that's a great piece of engineering 👏
    TBD. There are already a few competitors with these. Will they hold up to typical usage is the question.
    Agreed, but I love to see companies pushing it forward...Whether it's Apple or our friends in South Korea!
    muthuk_vanalingamdesignr
  • Reply 44 of 95
    e_life said:
    At first, I thought you were being sarcastic, then I realized you’re post is serious.  Please tell me how you know the engineering is great?  

It was announced today...
    SoliStrangeDaysradarthekatchiajbdragonwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 45 of 95
    Innovative even the most diehard apple fans must admit , more storage , expandable storage, features, it’s clearly who is leading 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 46 of 95
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    At last a unity phone where Koreans might be able to display on a nightstand phone side-by-side photos of North Korea ex Rocket Man Kim and President Moon. In that sense, quite timely.
    wonkothesanechiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 95
    damn apple users we can’t stay in 2014 forever 😂😂Samsung at least listens to it customers, once they get that feature like iMessage game over 
  • Reply 48 of 95
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JMCKEVER said:
    damn apple users we can’t stay in 2014 forever 😂😂Samsung at least listens to it customers, once they get that feature like iMessage game over 
    I'll bite…

1) Apple's devices only have tech from 2014?

2) There are a huge number of Samsung customers that were demanding Samsung make this?

3) So when Samsung creates a messaging system that runs over Android but only for Samsung devices then Apple customers will then jump to Samsung thereby making it "game over" for Apple? Sure¡
    StrangeDaysradarthekatfastasleepchiabestkeptsecretmuthuk_vanalingamjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 95
    e_life said:
    Exactly, they aren’t afraid to take risks while apple is complacent, same thing that killed blackberry 
  • Reply 50 of 95
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Soli said:
    wattouk said:
    As a phone - awful
    As a tablet - amazing
    Price - ridiculous
    1) The price seems inline with this new tech and the yields will probably make this something that makes the price point viable right now for Samsung in terms of production.

2) My impression is that it's the worst of both worlds. Neither a great phone or tablet.

The price is fine for what it is, a first generation device. It’ll go down to $1000 levels eventually.

The issue is still whether the feature of having a 7” display is worth it or whether enough people will find it useful to overcome the negatives. These type of foldables will weigh 0.5 lb or thereabouts and be about 0.5” thick in the pocket and in the hand. That’s a lot of weight to be handling and pocketing.

Another negative is that the foldable display side has a plastic display cover, right? That’s a pretty big risk for a touchscreen device to have scratches on it. All it takes is just the wrong speck of dust (sand et al) to be slidden across it. This really my biggest hurdle. These things really need to have really scratch resistant flexible display covers before I fork over any money for them.

In the meanwhile, I plan on getting 2019 iPad Pro 12.9 and 2019 iPhone 5.8 models, and this will be northward of $2000, so money isn’t that big of an issue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 95
    LordeHawk said:
    e_life said:
    At first, I thought you were being sarcastic, then I realized you’re post is serious.  Please tell me how you know the engineering is great?  

It was announced today...
    You're right, I don't know but like I said; I'd love to see where this is going in the broader perspective of things. What is Apple's take on a foldable iPhone going to be? And when I see Samsungs take, I realize we came a long way from phones that were as big as a small trolley to eventually this. How can you not find that a beautiful thing? :smile: 

I'd never buy this, just because it's Samsung hahahaha, I've been Apple brainwashed for years, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate achievements by other companies.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 52 of 95
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    sflocal said:
    There is hypocrisy all over the Fandroid realm.  If this had been an iPhone, people and the media would be accusing Apple of greed and for "ripping-off their customers".  Shame on them.

But wait, this steaming pile of Samsung turd gets a free pass?  

I look forward to seeing the first one Samdroid to drop this $2,000 junk on a sidewalk and shatter.  

I called the obvious earlier. Keep in mind Samsung also steals patents and doesn't develop and maintain the OS.

iPhones are priced right.

edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 95
    tht said:
    Soli said:
    wattouk said:
    As a phone - awful
    As a tablet - amazing
    Price - ridiculous
    1) The price seems inline with this new tech and the yields will probably make this something that makes the price point viable right now for Samsung in terms of production.

2) My impression is that it's the worst of both worlds. Neither a great phone or tablet.
    The issue is still whether the feature of having a 7” display is worth it or whether enough people will find it useful to overcome the negatives. These type of foldables will weigh 0.5 lb or thereabouts and be about 0.5” thick in the pocket and in the hand. That’s a lot of weight to be handling and pocketing.
    I can absolutely envision use-cases for this type of product… they just don't happen to have wide ranging appeal. For example, if you want the huge battery this is pretty great, but you can get that in a smaller size that is lighter and far easier to pocket with a 3rd-party case for around $100.

f you also need/want that occasional tablet then that could be helpful, but the buyers will squarely be novelty buyers of tech, not those with reasonable and well thought-out use-cases that aren't shoehorned to justify their expense.

Personally, I miss having an iPad so the sole reason of playing the Kingdom Rush games. Even the Plus- and Max-sized iPhones are a bit too small for those games, but I can't justify buying an iPad just for that minimal reason, so I can create a use-case of how that might be fun for opening it for that game once or twice or month, but then there's the issues of weight and size for using as a smartphone 99.9& of the time that make it unacceptable (and that's even before price is considered).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 95
    I kept waiting for the phone screen to expand, but I guess it just has a huge black border.

Not to jump on the hate wagon, but what problem does this contraption solve?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 95
    JMCKEVER said:
    Innovative even the most diehard apple fans must admit , more storage , expandable storage, features, it’s clearly who is leading 
    Bahahaha right, astroturfer...if having memory cards is leading, they’re leading from the rear.
    fastasleepjbdragonwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 56 of 95
    JMCKEVER said:
    e_life said:
    Exactly, they aren’t afraid to take risks while apple is complacent, same thing that killed blackberry 
    Hmm afraid to take risks - like when they removed the legacy analogy headphone port? And which the others are copying? Please pass me whatever it is you’re smoking, my guy.
    fastasleepchiajbdragonwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 57 of 95
    I think it looks great.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    The Fold is so ridiculous that we're not even talking about how there's a $$1600 Galaxy S10. What happened to the $1000 smartphone being so high that it priced everyone out of the market?
    wonkothesaneradarthekatchiajbdragonbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 95
    DAalseth said:
    I will give them credit, they did it the right way. Not like the one released a couple of months back (Huawei?) with the screen on the outside. That said it's still Samsung s*** running Android. Pass at any price.

Though I will say I am looking forward to a folding iPhone. Apple will do it right. Something the size of a slightly thicker SE that folds out. That would be nice. OTOH I really don't need a huge screen on my phone. I have an iPad for that.
    “The right way” for me implies apart from perceived quality eg. in terms of “sturdiness” vs “wobbliness” also durability and longevity. This can only be answered some time from now. 
  • Reply 60 of 95
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    Soli said:
    Personally, I miss having an iPad so the sole reason of playing the Kingdom Rush games. Even the Plus- and Max-sized iPhones are a bit too small for those games, but I can't justify buying an iPad just for that minimal reason, so I can create a use-case of how that might be fun for opening it for that game once or twice or month, but then there's the issues of weight and size for using as a smartphone 99.9& of the time that make it unacceptable (and that's even before price is considered).
    My iPad Pro 10.5 LTE is probably the best computer purchase I’ve made in a long while. You can definitely use an iPad as personal computer, without any keyboard accessories either. It’s also the primary reason I’m going down in phone size from my 6S Plus this coming fall. With the right case and eventual OS upgrade, the 2019 iPad Pro 12.9 or whatever large model with LTE is going to be magic. The more you use it, the bigger the screen size you want, imo.

As long as the flexible display models are scratch resistant, I can see them being the eventual form factor for tablets too, perhaps more so, as the weight penalty isn’t as big. For phones, they need to get half as light. It’s like they have to wait on solid state lithium-ion batteries with 50% more energy density to really make it work.

watto_cobra