Apple's 2019 hardware roadmap calls for at least 11 new products

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    zoetmb said:
    Wow what a busy year if they could fulfill this gigantic order!!

I would hope for an Apple TV this year.

gsteeno said:
    C'mon Apple, please update the iMac.  I've squeezed every last performance drop out of my late 2009 model. 

Doesn't have to be a major step-change...internals and ports like the mini?  

(Well, I do love the space gray body of the iMac Pro.)

You have a 2009 iMac. Even a 2012 iMac would be a huge upgrade. No need to wait.

My 2009 iMac is still going strong too BTW.
    As is my 2007 one.  However, as someone else posted, buying a computer with 2 year old specs is a recipe for disappointment.  In the PC world, that rarely stands, as you can just make your own PC and be done with it.  Of course you don’t have the same support and you spend a lot of time reconfiguring, optimizing, and updating the modular design (drivers, O/S) and hope it works after each update.

All in all, I don’t really miss the PC days, but when the time between updates on the Mac, I start looking over the fence to see what’s going on over there...

I don't miss the PC days. Hours of life I'll never get back.
    I miss the days when one could add memory, swap storage and replace the battery, whether in a PC or a Mac.   I've been using Apple products since around 1980.   I might be done.  The late-2016 $3100 MBP I bought is disappointing and I think the pricing was absurd.   There are a lot of things that don't work very well and while I understand progress, it's going to be an incredible disruption when the next version of the OS won't support 32-bit apps anymore so when I have to upgrade my apps, there's certainly an option to buy Windows versions.   I'm still using an iPhone6 and I'm not very excited about having to spend $1000 for a new phone.   The only thing in Apple's favor is that I don't trust Google/Android at all.   

The iPhone constituted 61.7% of Apple's first quarter net sales.   That's a decline from Q1 2018, when it was 69.2%, but that's good news for Apple as they need better balance with the rest of the product line.   But I agree with those who believe that Apple needs another groundbreaking product line.   Apple seems to be putting their cards on services, but that might be a mistake as ATT/Warner, Disney and several others are launching their own streaming services and once they do, they're likely to hold prime product back from Apple and other competitors.   

As for those who want more from Apple in regards to the Mac, the Mac is now only 8.8% of Apple's net sales and is only slightly larger than the wearables business.   Unbelievable.    What do you think Apple is going to focus on?   I'm surprised Apple still makes as many Mac models as they do.   

Apple's 2nd Q results should be interesting.
    Apple has let Mac slip into a minor niche market and its sales reflect that.   Steve initially envisioned it for the people.  Apple needs to get back to that.  They do it well in their other products -- exceedingly well.  But not the Mac.
  • Reply 62 of 78

zoetmb said:

gsteeno said:
    C'mon Apple, please update the iMac.  I've squeezed every last performance drop out of my late 2009 model. 

You have a 2009 iMac. Even a 2012 iMac would be a huge upgrade. No need to wait.

As is my 2007 one.  However, as someone else posted, buying a computer with 2 year old specs is a recipe for disappointment.  In the PC world, that rarely stands, as you can just make your own PC and be done with it.  Of course you don’t have the same support and you spend a lot of time reconfiguring, optimizing, and updating the modular design (drivers, O/S) and hope it works after each update.

All in all, I don’t really miss the PC days, but when the time between updates on the Mac, I start looking over the fence to see what’s going on over there...

I miss the days when one could add memory, swap storage and replace the battery, whether in a PC or a Mac.   I've been using Apple products since around 1980.   I might be done.  The late-2016 $3100 MBP I bought is disappointing and I think the pricing was absurd.   There are a lot of things that don't work very well and while I understand progress, it's going to be an incredible disruption when the next version of the OS won't support 32-bit apps anymore so when I have to upgrade my apps, there's certainly an option to buy Windows versions.   I'm still using an iPhone6 and I'm not very excited about having to spend $1000 for a new phone.   The only thing in Apple's favor is that I don't trust Google/Android at all.   
    What on earth are you talking about? You don’t have to spend $1000 on a new iphone — unless you want and can afford the top-tier offering. If not, get one of the lower-tier price points, such as $750, $600, or $550. Your choice. 

The days of normal people doing DIY PC service like memory, storage or batteries is waning. Same as how cars got more complex and most normals don’t do oil changes, brakes, water pumps, or even spark plugs or batteries. Do you lament that? Or do you apply reason and acknowledge the automotive gains are worth the complexity? Same with computing gains. 

But please, dear Apple ][ user, drop Apple and get a Dell. It must surely be nirvana. 
    Mostly because the hardware won't let them.  It's now all just glued and soldered together disposabe junk.   You don't fix it or upgrade it -- just toss it.
  • Reply 63 of 78
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    gbdoc said:
    Noticeably missing: a new, better MacBook. Not bells and whistles, no TouchBar gimmick, just a plain but capable portable machine with modern, useful innards. Whose omission, Apple's or the authors?
    AirPods were released just 2 years ago and Apple Watch just before that.

The "Apple can't innovate" meme has been dead for years. 
    Come on man, Bluetooth earbuds? 2 years ago?? From a company of Apple's size, talent pool and financial resources???

That's not the level of innovation we're looking for.

Well, her iPhone 6 was in her purse and her bottle of water leaked all over it. So much so, that it was ineligible for the battery exchange. And she knocked her iPad off the bed onto the floor, cracked the screen. Had the screen replaced ($100) and it's never been the same. She didn't replace the ink in her printer, so the jets dried and are all clogged, making the printer unusable.
    Time for a new girlfriend? :o

So far Airpods are the 2nd most successful product in Apple history. Just 2 years ago.

What are your standards here?

Do you guys expect a new iPhone-level revolution every year? Because only that will top Airpods released 2 years ago.

StrangeDays
  • Reply 64 of 78
    kevin kee said:
    Innovation does not always mean new products. Innovations can also be applied to the current existing products line. FaceID was innovation and regardless of your personal view, MBP TouchBar was innovation. Even invisible things like the new cooling system design was also innovation. There were plenty of innovations, just because it's not something unthinkable like Money Machine or Flying Toilet does not mean it wasn't.

I know right? It's ridiculous.

In my opinion ECG in the Watch is one of the most innovating things in tech history!! Just released a few months ago!! (but Apple isn't innovating anymore.)

StrangeDays
  • Reply 65 of 78
    Headline said new innovative products. Apple is all about iterations not innovations.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    Headline said new innovative products. Apple is all about iterations not innovations.

Not this shit again....

Airpods. 2 years ago. 2nd most successful product.

Apple Watch. 4 years ago. 4th most successful product.

ECG. Months ago. Is already alerting people of health complications. Will save lives.

zoetmb said:

gsteeno said:

What on earth are you talking about? You don’t have to spend $1000 on a new iphone — unless you want and can afford the top-tier offering. If not, get one of the lower-tier price points, such as $750, $600, or $550. Your choice. 

The days of normal people doing DIY PC service like memory, storage or batteries is waning. Same as how cars got more complex and most normals don’t do oil changes, brakes, water pumps, or even spark plugs or batteries. Do you lament that? Or do you apply reason and acknowledge the automotive gains are worth the complexity? Same with computing gains. 

But please, dear Apple ][ user, drop Apple and get a Dell. It must surely be nirvana. 
    Mostly because the hardware won't let them.  It's now all just glued and soldered together disposabe junk.   You don't fix it or upgrade it -- just toss it.

Macs are "junk"? Is that why most power users buy Macs and why the music and movie industry is almost exclusively Mac?

Do you throw your Macs in the trash? WTF?

zoetmb said:

gsteeno said:

I didn't even consider that. I wasted my time modding PCs so they can run decently.

What I meant by hours wasted(really days wasted) is that, most of my memories of my PC days are me staring into a progress bar. I remember stating at a defragment bar, waiting for security scans, cleaning up malware, disk cleanups etc. etc. Yuck!

steveauStrangeDays
  • Reply 67 of 78
    ouragan said:

2 - Exceptional sound quality comparable to the iMac 2009-2012, possibly due to the great acoustics of the iMac 2009-2012 form factor and the loudspeakers used. Needless to say, exceptional sound quality is a key feature for anyone who stores his digital music collection on an iMac and enjoys listening to music while performing other tasks on an iMac.

5 - Possibly a digital FM radio tuner to make it possible to listen to music, talk shows and local news while working on an iMac. I dream of the possibility to watch TV news and series in the top right corner of an iMac while using the iMac to work or read, but I accept that the time has not come yet for such a feature.

2 - nobody who cares about music uses internal speakers.

5 - FM tuner? You know all the radio stations are on the internet now, right? And what’s stopping you from watching video in the corner while you work? I’ve been doing that for decades, so pretty sure that feature’s
    “time has come”.

Very odd. 
    steveauStrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 68 of 78
    zoetmb said:

gsteeno said:

The iPhone constituted 61.7% of Apple's first quarter net sales.   That's a decline from Q1 2018, when it was 69.2%, but that's good news for Apple as they need better balance with the rest of the product line.   But I agree with those who believe that Apple needs another groundbreaking product line.   Apple seems to be putting their cards on services, but that might be a mistake as ATT/Warner, Disney and several others are launching their own streaming services and once they do, they're likely to hold prime product back from Apple and other competitors.   

As for those who want more from Apple in regards to the Mac, the Mac is now only 8.8% of Apple's net sales and is only slightly larger than the wearables business.   Unbelievable.    What do you think Apple is going to focus on?   I'm surprised Apple still makes as many Mac models as they do.   

Apple has let Mac slip into a minor niche market and its sales reflect that.   Steve initially envisioned it for the people.  Apple needs to get back to that.  They do it well in their other products -- exceedingly well.  But not the Mac.
    You mean go back to 2% market share, where it was the majority of Jobs life? Nice revisionist history there.
    edited February 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 69 of 78

zoetmb said:

gsteeno said:

Nuts. First of all, memory isn’t glued. It’s onboard. Why? Because it’s smaller and faster. Why? Because people like lighter, smaller computers. Why? Because most consumers are not DIY tinkerers. Build a PC if that’s your bag. Point being, the devices went this way because it makes sense to. Same as cars. Are you lamenting that you likely do not and cannot even change your own spark plugs? Why not?

Second, it’s not unfixable. There’s a difference between a service tech and a normal consumer. Again just as there is with a car tech and a normal car owner. I’ve had my Macs repaired, most recently the graphics board on my 2011 iMac. So your pretend story that it’s “disposable” is in your head. 

Third, I can’t believe I’m still explaining what appliance computing is; I guess trolls never learn. Are you whining about TVs and home receivers? My grand father used to repair his own TV. That ain’t happening anymore. 
  • Reply 70 of 78

Oh look, another one. No, it doesn’t say that, son. And second, if you don’t believe innovation exists in every new version, you’re clueless. And third, you don’t understand Apple whatsoever, as iterative product development is how they work. It’s what brought us from the 1984 Macintosh to today’s iMac Pro. 

Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up.

fastasleep
  • Reply 71 of 78

zoetmb said:

gsteeno said:

zoetmb said:

gsteeno said:

I didn't even consider that. I wasted my time modding PCs so they can run decently.

What I meant by hours wasted(really days wasted) is that, most of my memories of my PC days are me staring into a progress bar. I remember stating at a defragment bar, waiting for security scans, cleaning up malware, disk cleanups etc. etc. Yuck!

Yep. I used to build my own PCs and was a pro tech for years before moving to software development. I can’t tell you how much of my life was dedicated to reinstalling Windows, defragging, etc.. The notion that that model of computing was better than an integrated hardware software solution like Mac is laughable. These guys are either trolls or have selective memory. 
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 72 of 78

ouragan said:

2 - Exceptional sound quality comparable to the iMac 2009-2012, possibly due to the great acoustics of the iMac 2009-2012 form factor and the loudspeakers used. Needless to say, exceptional sound quality is a key feature for anyone who stores his digital music collection on an iMac and enjoys listening to music while performing other tasks on an iMac.

5 - Possibly a digital FM radio tuner to make it possible to listen to music, talk shows and local news while working on an iMac. I dream of the possibility to watch TV news and series in the top right corner of an iMac while using the iMac to work or read, but I accept that the time has not come yet for such a feature.

5 - FM tuner? You know all the radio stations are on the internet now, right? And what’s stopping you from watching video in the corner while you work? I’ve been doing that for decades, so pretty sure that feature’s
    “time has come”.

Very odd. 
    Odd indeed, sounds like he’s saying he wants an OTA TV tuner card, which does exist, but is niche. TV news puts out their stuff on the intertubes these days. 
  • Reply 73 of 78
    ouragan said:

“time has come”.

Very odd. 
    2)  I care.   But, when not using my audio system, I often rely on internal speakers for casual stuff.  Or, sometimes while working in the kitchen I'll listen to music from my MacBook AIr.   Admittedly its not the best, but acceptable enough not to give me a headache.   So, yeh, having decent internal speakers can be a plus - at least for casual stuff.  

(But, on the other hand, you're talking desktop computer which would likely have external speakers attached.)
  • Reply 74 of 78

ouragan said:

“time has come”.

Very odd. 
    Odd indeed, sounds like he’s saying he wants an OTA TV tuner card, which does exist, but is niche. TV news puts out their stuff on the intertubes these days. 
    Actually, the first thing I thought of was my Beige G3 tower in college, which had the AV Personality Card option, to which I had a VHS player (and bunny ears) plugged into so I could watch movies in a little corner window on my second monitor while working on school projects or writing music, etc.
  • Reply 75 of 78

ouragan said:

“time has come”.

Very odd. 
    2)  I care.   But, when not using my audio system, I often rely on internal speakers for casual stuff.  Or, sometimes while working in the kitchen I'll listen to music from my MacBook AIr.   Admittedly its not the best, but acceptable enough not to give me a headache.   So, yeh, having decent internal speakers can be a plus - at least for casual stuff.  

(But, on the other hand, you're talking desktop computer which would likely have external speakers attached.)
    Sure, but the context was "exceptional sound quality" and "music collection" on a desktop computer.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    zoetmb said:

gsteeno said:

You mean go back to 2% market share, where it was the majority of Jobs life? Nice revisionist history there.
    LOL...  So, you are claiming that Jobs envisioned the Mac to only appeal to a tiny niche market and remain at 2% forever?  
    Nice revisionist history there.
  • Reply 77 of 78

ouragan said:

“time has come”.

Very odd. 

Sure, but the context was "exceptional sound quality" and "music collection" on a desktop computer.
    Maybe that was your context.   But I was replying to the blanket statement:
    "2 - nobody who cares about music uses internal speakers"   which has none of your qualifications in it.

In actuality, internal speakers are likely used far more than external speaker systems -- even by those who care about music.