Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    . . 
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 22 of 57
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    davgreg said:
    The VW ID Buzz will be in full production and for sale before Apple gets out of the garage. Already approved for production in Germany and the US plant in Chattanooga.

https://media.vw.com/models/id-buzz

Just like with the Apple TV and streaming service, Apple has let others get out ahead.

Apple doesn’t need to be first. They need to perfect it as much as possible.
    Yeah I blocked that guy long as he doesn’t get Apple whatsoever. A race to first? Please. 
    How do you block I know how to on 9to5 but not here?
    Thanks
  • Reply 23 of 57
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    I liked the rumor that Apple was buying McLaren so much more. 
    AppleExposedpatchythepirate
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Apple will make the nicest pizza delivery van ever!

During the trip, the pizzas will cook listening to something topping appropriate, for pepperoni it will be the “extra spicy” Apple Music station.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    maestro64 said:
    Anyone who lives in the northeast would you want a car drive you around which was trained on California roads? I'll give you a hint, would you get in any car with a person who never seen snow and let them drive you during the storm we just had.

The van Idea make sense since it give more room for batteries and allows the sensor to have higher vantage point. 

When I tough my kids to drive one things I taught them was not to always watch the car in front of them but the cars 10 in front as well as the cars behind. I have avoided more accidents because I saw brake lights way ahead and began slowing long before the car in front of me even tapped their brakes, this also allowed the cars behind me to begin slowing so we all did not have to panic stop. This is call offensive driving which most drivers do not do and think about the people programing theses system, what view of driving do they follow.
    I believe it's called defensive driving but I could be wrong. 

With regards to where the cars are being trained  - they start out somewhere nice and dry and flat and straight then launch there, as we've seen with Waymo. Once they are confident that they are ready to test in more difficult conditions, they'll do that. There's no chance they will just launch in the NE having trained only in Cali or Arizona.
    Waymo is not the only one, but they've been testing in far from ideal conditions for a couple of years now.
    https://www.wired.com/story/waymo-self-driving-michigan-testing/
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/08/waymo-snow-navigation/
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 26 of 57
    maestro64 said:
    When I tough my kids to drive one things I taught them was not to always watch the car in front of them but the cars 10 in front as well as the cars behind. I have avoided more accidents because I saw brake lights way ahead and began slowing long before the car in front of me even tapped their brakes, this also allowed the cars behind me to begin slowing so we all did not have to panic stop. This is call offensive driving which most drivers do not do and think about the people programing theses system, what view of driving do they follow.
    My favorite tip in driver education (besides the two-second following rule) was to watch the front wheels of oncoming vehicles, not the driver. The teacher said it was especially important during driver ed because people see the "student driver" sign on the car and do hand-fakes on their steering wheel.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 27 of 57
    I'm a vehicle aficionado despite driving a rusty Silverado. After reading an Ive profile a few years ago in which he quietly disparaged the state of car design, I would very much like to see his ideal vehicle, or at least the first-generation of what might eventually become his ideal.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 57
    maestro64 said:
    Anyone who lives in the northeast would you want a car drive you around which was trained on California roads? I'll give you a hint, would you get in any car with a person who never seen snow and let them drive you during the storm we just had.

The van Idea make sense since it give more room for batteries and allows the sensor to have higher vantage point. 

Self driving cars and snow is one thing I've always wondered about. How are self driving vehicles going to handle snow? If you start sliding and a self driving car hits the brakes hard, it's just going to make things worse. It sounds like you drive the same way as me. When I'm driving in the snow, I let off the gas way ahead of time at a light or when cars are stopped. I try avoiding using the brakes as much as possible. 
    Why would a self driving car do anything different that what you (excellent driver, presumably) would do?  It's not going to "learn" that slamming on the brakes is a good reaction when trying to slow on icy roads.
    gatorguySoliradarthekat
  • Reply 29 of 57
    maestro64 said:
    My favorite tip in driver education (besides the two-second following rule) was to watch the front wheels of oncoming vehicles, not the driver. The teacher said it was especially important during driver ed because people see the "student driver" sign on the car and do hand-fakes on their steering wheel.
    Wow, that's rude.  When I see Student Driver, I give them a wide berth and am more tolerant about slow driving and tentative reactions.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 30 of 57
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Would make a killer services vehicle.

Makes sense.

While people love to ooh and ahh over high performance vehicles the fact is we still need to move people around efficiently. And a multi-passenger vehicle (van, if you will) is far better at that task, even if it’s not sexy.

Apple will make it sexy.

davgreg said:
    The VW ID Buzz will be in full production and for sale before Apple gets out of the garage. Already approved for production in Germany and the US plant in Chattanooga.

Just like with the Apple TV and streaming service, Apple has let others get out ahead.

YES!! This will be the revolutionary vehicle we've been waiting for!!!

/S

MacPro said:
    Folio said:
    One California option has no seats. Just bed and surf board rack

Young Jobs would be proud!
  • Reply 31 of 57
    mwhite said:
    davgreg said:

Yeah I blocked that guy long as he doesn’t get Apple whatsoever. A race to first? Please. 
    Thanks
    IMO blocking in general is counterproductive since you're giving that poster free-rein to post whatever silliness they want to unchallenged. Some casual readers would take that as acceptance there's truth to the posts. Blocking to avoid the predilection of some members to resorting to frequent personal attacks instead of correcting the facts is something different and might be the wise choice for some.

In my opinion simply blocking someone because I don't like seeing what they (politely) say even if perhaps truthful isn't a good path to take, but that's how some folks deal with it anyway. Head in the sand isn't exactly uncommon. 
    radarthekatpatchythepirate
  • Reply 33 of 57
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    maestro64 said:

Self driving cars and snow is one thing I've always wondered about. How are self driving vehicles going to handle snow? If you start sliding and a self driving car hits the brakes hard, it's just going to make things worse. It sounds like you drive the same way as me. When I'm driving in the snow, I let off the gas way ahead of time at a light or when cars are stopped. I try avoiding using the brakes as much as possible. 
    Why would a self driving car do anything different that what you (excellent driver, presumably) would do?  It's not going to "learn" that slamming on the brakes is a good reaction when trying to slow on icy roads.
    There's going to be a mental shift (and maybe it's already happened). A shift from people thinking that their reaction times and ability to analyze their surroundings is far better than computers and sensors to one where the populace can't believe how ignorant people were to think that using advanced electronics wouldn't result in saving lives, reducing injury, limiting property damage, increasing power efficiency, and increasing flow of traffic despite most of these people having been around when these automated advancements (which include ABS, automatic transmissions, adaptive cruise control, blindspot detection, lane guidance, etc.) were already in place.
    randominternetpersonradarthekat
  • Reply 34 of 57
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I'd put my money on the van being a test mule for Apple's tech.  A test mule that gives no clue to Apple's true vehicle design (if they're actually designing a vehicle and not autonomous software).  Car companies are known for using test mules to R&D tech.  Vans, re-bodied older models, and other assorted vehicles so competitors don't get an idea of what the new product will be.  
    This. Besides a van is required to hold all the Mac Pros running the AI ;)
    Latko
  • Reply 35 of 57
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    crowley said:
    Isn't this basically the same as the whispering a few months back that it'd be a shuttle bus for Apple employees between Apple Park and [other location]?
    Indeed it never wctually came further than that, now being framed as “on purpose”/“strategic”
    All PR spin leading to zero product,
    in contrast to many carmakers, Waymo and George Hotz, who paled Apple’s AI efforts by opensourcing his comma.ai inititiative and mounting it on selected existing car models (Toyota, Honda) cars
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 36 of 57
    maestro64 said:

Because nobody on the planet, much less at Apple, would have thought about less than perfect weather and road conditions.  It's a good thing there are posters on rumor sites who have a better understanding of how to build this stuff than the scientists and engineers who've been working on it for a decade or more.  Keep those nerdy types in line!

/S
    randominternetpersonLordeHawk
  • Reply 37 of 57
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    ; )
  • Reply 38 of 57
    gatorguy said:
    mwhite said:
    davgreg said:

Thanks
    IMO blocking in general is counterproductive since you're giving that poster free-rein to post whatever silliness they want to unchallenged. Some casual readers would take that as acceptance there's truth to the posts. Blocking to avoid the predilection of some members to resorting to frequent personal attacks instead of correcting the facts is something different and might be the wise choice for some.

In my opinion simply blocking someone because I don't like seeing what they (politely) say even if perhaps truthful isn't a good path to take, but that's how some folks deal with it anyway. Head in the sand isn't exactly uncommon. 
    That's your opinion not mine if anyone else can tell me how to block....
  • Reply 39 of 57
    mwhite said:
    gatorguy said:
    mwhite said:
    davgreg said:

Thanks

Spot on, that's my opinion....

For you click on the posters name, then on their profile click on "ignore" in the upper corner. 
    edited February 2019 Solipatchythepirate
  • Reply 40 of 57
    gatorguy said:
    mwhite said:
    gatorguy said:
    mwhite said:
    davgreg said:

Thanks

Spot on, that's my opinion....

For you click on the posters name, then on their profile click on "ignore" in the upper corner. 
    Thanks, not that I'm going to use it it's just good to know how....