The Galaxy Fold is Samsung's $1980 7.3-inch folding smartphone

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    Interring. Looks like two iPhones connected by a bendy thing in the middle. 

If this His is what foldable displays are about... no thanks. 

What prople are wanting is the dream they seen in renders - a slim, paper like display that unscrolls and is put away with minimal footprint. 

This thing is the size of a tank. And that’s what it’s sales prospects will do - tank. 

Cant wait to see the YouTube troll drop tests on this one. 

This. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 95
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    I didn't see the presentation but have watched a YouTube summary

Out of the gate, I'm impressed. Of course real world reviews will bring us the details of what wasn't told but as a product concept I'm convinced it is here to stay.

Price? Lots of people in this thread are making digs at those who say Apple's prices are too high - for what you get only to add it's 'ah, so it's ok for Samsung but not for Apple'. That misses the point. IMO, Apple's prices are too high.

This device is in a relatively new product category employing cutting edge technology. It clearly isn't in the mass market consumer band and as such not comparable to Apple's Max products and $1980 is what will stop thos product from being mass market. Android phones have long occupied the $1,000+ band. Long before Apple began charging $1,000. In fact this phone will give food for thought to potential Mate RS buyers ($2,000).

The point on pricing (Apple or Android) is that you can go as high as you want - as long as you cover other price bands too and shift the product.

This product is there to pave the way for later generations which will be mass market products. Those future products will also benefit from new technological advances affecting size and robustness.

Bulk? Yes, it looks bulky. In some ways it reminds me of the Nokia Communicator and I always wanted one of those. The point is is doesn't look too bulky and doubles as a little tablet. Currently I have an Honor 10 in my hand and an iPad Mini 2 in my bag. For what I use the iPad for, I could definitely substitute it for the Fold. That would mean a reduction in bulk in my case. Yes, Huawei has a 7.2inch Max so the phone/mini tablet size is a closer call in that regard and I'd need to hold both of them in my hand to see which one I prefer but there aren't many 7 inch phones on the market.

Hinge? From the early release promo material, I was expecting a thin division between the two parts. It seems that isn't the case and even if it were I would be willing to accept the trade (a la 'notch). Speaking of the notch cutout, I think it is well placed. They say it is a robust design. We will have to see real world statistics on that just as we are waiting for data on recently announced sliding phones.

Form factor? I have no issues with it. The three app demo spoke for itself.

I have never owned a Samsung smartphone but this has appeal from the get go. Obviously I would never spend over 2,000€ on any phone and neither would many people but if Huawei's PD lines have been successful at well over $1,000 with far less on offer, why can't this follow suit?

There were rumours that Samsung expected to ship over a million of them. Perhaps that is over optimistic but if it is successful enough to warrant a second and third generation to get prices down and improve the underlying technology, then great. I see some parallels here to the Note series when it launched.

edited February 2019 muthuk_vanalingamsingularity
  • Reply 83 of 95
    Ahhhhh!!! Alien green is my favorite color! BUT...it runs Android, so I’ll have to pass. I wish Apple offered the green from the 2nd/4th/6th gen iPod Nanos on all their products now.  :|
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 95
    shaunkore said:
    Who asked for this crap? I hope Apple never does this!  Pretty soon you can roll up a Samsung phone and shove it directly up your a$$ for charging both you and the phone! 
    Yeah yeah i remember people saying who wants a big phone too 🤷🏾‍♂️Now you can barely find a small phone
    muthuk_vanalingamdesignr
  • Reply 85 of 95
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    JFC_PA said:
    $1980? Let’s hear it from all the “iphones are reducilously priced” crowd. 

Remember, that's just the Starting Price!!!  More ram and Storage and that price point will go up above $2K
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 95
    Before they store design and technology. Now they stole Apple prices.

iPhone XS Max is too cheap to be a cool kid on the block...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 95
    I applaud their effort here, I have also done contract work with the OLED industry and know first hand that all the major companies (including Apple and Samsung) are very interested in foldable technology. My personal issue with this particular product is the price, I don't see how it can take off like this and Samsung typically caters to those looking for more affordable devices.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I don't understand the pixel count. The side parallel to the hinge should have the same pixel count in both modes, yes the sizes are given as 1,960 x 840 folded and 2,152 x 1,536 unfolded. Can someone explain?
    It’s two separate displays.  The tablet display folds inside, so it’s completely hidden when the device is closed.  Then there’s a display on the other side on one of the two halves.  That’s the 1960x840 display.  

Folks who who complained that Apple forced folks to carry along a small lightning to headphone adapter (DongleGate) should have a fit over this contraption; it’s 17mm thick, 2.4x the iPhone XS thickness, weighs like a tablet, has a square screen when unhinged, with its own notch, and costs more than a MacBook Pro.  
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 89 of 95
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    This is a prototype and FUGLY in its folded form, and it's priced for people who know it will be in a drawer in a year and don't care. For showoff points, Samsung wins. For practical use case -- lol, no. You can't even get that in your pocket.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 95
    Who is the thing made for?
    1. "I want a $2000 Android tablet with a small, notched screen and no pen support"
    2. "I think water and dust resistance are overrated"
    3. "I think soft plastic screens are durable enough"
    4. "I want my phone to be a conversation piece"

Soliquadra 610watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 91 of 95
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    If next iPhone can’t please me, this Galaxy Fold would definitely be a better alternative. 

Apple’s Shared Album is sooooooo disappointment, I already in love with Google Photos.  macOS Mojave Photos app is full of bugs and lack of deeper functions, and I’m turning my head and put my eyes on Microsoft Windows 10 again.

Appke, it’s your last chance, isn’t it?

• Reply 92 of 95
    I saw Huawei's folding phone this morning in promo material. It will be announced and demoed officiallytomorrow. 

In a first impression visual context I prefer the route Samsung has taken even if the result may be somewhat clunkier. Huawei is promising a couple of 'surprises' but that could turn out to be over eager marketing. Tomorrow we will know how first generation folding phone competition stands.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    The Mate X was presented a few minutes ago and takes a very different approach to Samsung.

I do have some reservations but both devices look to lay the groundwork very well for future generations and seem good enough out of the gate for early adopters with spare cash.

I have the feeling that the battery is not telling all of its story. Maybe the P30 series (due 26th March) will give us more info as I'm sure both devices will share the same technology.

https://gizmodo.com/huawei-brings-its-own-bendy-screen-with-the-bendy-mate-1832846205

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2019/02/24/first-look-at-the-huawei-mate-x-attractive-powerful-and-unspeakably-pricey/
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 94 of 95
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    This seems like a move backward rather than forward when it comes to cell phone form.

There's no doubt some impressive tech involved, and the concept has merit of course. A device which could easily switch between display sizes could have a lot of utility. But this design seems quite clumsy. It tells me the tech just isn't there yet to do it right. It's what we often get, a cool concept poorly implemented so that it can be brought to market before it's ready to be.

As a phone, it's too thick. And the phone display is too tall and doesn't use enough of the front surface.

• Reply 95 of 95
    carnegie said:
    This seems like a move backward rather than forward when it comes to cell phone form.

There's no doubt some impressive tech involved, and the concept has merit of course. A device which could easily switch between display sizes could have a lot of utility. But this design seems quite clumsy. It tells me the tech just isn't there yet to do it right. It's what we often get, a cool concept poorly implemented so that it can be brought to market before it's ready to be.

As a phone, it's too thick. And the phone display is too tall and doesn't use enough of the front surface.

I think there is a lot we still haven't heard yet. In part because this phone will share features with the P30 Series which will be announced in four weeks. For example, I have read that the Mate X will actually ship with four cameras instead of the three on show today but that fourth camera is one of the key features of the P30 series and so wasn't revealed. I also have doubts about if it will ship with Balong 5000 or Balong 5G01. We'll have to wait until nearer release of the P30 5G to know. We already know the Mate 20 series will receive a 5G upgrade.

I like both designs (Samsung and Huawei) and don't think thickness will be an issue if it lets you leave your tablet at home. My Honor 10 in its Spigen case is 10mm thick and very comfortable in my hand. The Mate X is 11mm when closed. I don't have small hands though. Laid out flat it's actually thinner than the thinnest iPad save for the grip (that actually might serve an ergonomic purpose).

I see what you mean about the display height. 161.3mm tall and virtually all screen means a big handset. I consider my Honor 10 to have a nice sized screen but I just measured from the top of the case to the bottom (case edges, notch and chin included) and the Mate X is noticeably larger and basically all screen. It's for lovers of large screens, that's for sure. One the other hand, given the aspect ratio when folded out, I'm sure some people would be content to watch movie content on the folded screen instead of the open screen with bigger black bars.

Having the open screen option will still be a godsend for many people.

Although the design clearly isn't finished, I think both the Samsung and Huawei solutions will find their niches if they prove to be durable and their respective Androids can handle the new options elegantly.