Showdown: Samsung Galaxy Buds versus AirPods and the rumored AirPods 2

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38

Eric_WVGG said:
    Does anyone find the proprietary M1 chip kind of shady? Or rather, the proprietary pairing API that M1-equipped hardware can use to seamlessly pair with iOS devices?

I find it a little unfair that it is literally impossible for third-parties to make Bluetooth audio equipment that works as well as AirPods or Beats, and an antitrust argument of Apple using their control of one market (iOS devices) as leverage over another market (accessories) is pretty straightforward.

(This isn't quite the same as MFI, IMO. In MFI, the specs are out there, all you need to do is apply to be a partner and get your hardware approved and pay the fee.)
    Yeah no. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    This comparison is flawed without actually testing them. How things look on paper doesn’t always transfer to actual use.

Airpods became popular because they work so well in actual use.
    Oh they're gonna be a mess. If history is anything to go by.
    lolliver
  • Reply 23 of 38
    (I could not get through the whole video. The echoing nasal sound was too overwhelming for my ears. Sorry Andrew). 

I need to say that I'm impressed with what Samsung is doing. They are truly pushing the envelope and creating excitement. Apple is slowly emerging from their "lull", but is not quite there yet. They are moving too slowly and too conservatively to generate excitement in the marketplace. They will release yet another round of premium products, but I fear that the competition is finally releasing stuff that justifies attention. Samsung has not left anyone disappointed this time around. And that's coming from an anti-Samsung, pro-Apple person.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    tylersdad said:
    Let's not give these AirPod wannabes any attention. This is what made people think androids were real iPhones.
    I'm really happy that Apple Insider doesn't listen to you. While the AirPods might be perfect for some, they aren't for others. With the 2-hour talk time, they are pretty much worthless for people who use their phone to...you know...talk. 
    Not really an issue IRL, as someone who’s actually owned them for two years. First, plenty of people only talk on the phone with one ear, which doubles the talk time. Second, even if you want both, it takes minutes to recharge a pod, so if for some reason you talk for hours straight and can’t recharge inbetween calls, you can take a pod out and charge it, then do the other. Non-issue. 

Best part of AP is mic quality. No one can tell you’re on a BT headset. 
    @AppleExposed = @Nunzy ... and will end up in the same place.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 25 of 38
    "Better acoustic seal"...what does that even mean? Sounds made up. Regular speakers don't require any type of "seal" with your ear to sound good, so I'm not sure the fact that Galaxy chose the plug-your-ear approach really means much of anything when it comes to sound quality. 
    Accurate sound reproduction is all about air movement. The more control you have over that air movement, the more precise sound reproduction can be. If part of that booming air movement escapes around the earpiece, it does not make it to your ear and therefore the actual sound reproduction (what your brain interprets) is not exactly what the earpiece was sending out.

So yes, an air-tight seal can have better acoustic performance.

Look at it another way... if your toilet plunger doesn't make an effective seal, you'll be plunging forever without achieving your goal.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    This Samsung product is purely an imitation of Apple AirPod. Why would anyone pay attention to a copycat device whose only purpose is to steal business from Apple? 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Johan42 said:
    Let's not give these AirPod wannabes any attention. This is what made people think androids were real iPhones.
    Pull your head out of Apple’s a**, sheep. These look nothing like AirPods. At least these come free (and in multiple colors) when ordering Samsung’s higher-end phone.
    Ah the iKnockoff Knight explaining how Samsung looks nothing like Apple! LMAO

Typical. "nothing like AirPods"

Yeah nothing like iPad either.
    edited February 2019 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 38

tzeshan said:
    This Samsung product is purely an imitation of Apple AirPod. Why would anyone pay attention to a copycat device whose only purpose is to steal business from Apple? 
    According to the moron above you ( @Johan42 ) these look "nothing like AirPods". LMAO! Same thing they say about their knockoff iPhone and knockoff iPad etc.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    Does anyone find the proprietary M1 chip kind of shady? Or rather, the proprietary pairing API that M1-equipped hardware can use to seamlessly pair with iOS devices?

I find it a little unfair that it is literally impossible for third-parties to make Bluetooth audio equipment that works as well as AirPods or Beats, and an antitrust argument of Apple using their control of one market (iOS devices) as leverage over another market (accessories) is pretty straightforward.

(This isn't quite the same as MFI, IMO. In MFI, the specs are out there, all you need to do is apply to be a partner and get your hardware approved and pay the fee.)
    Not really.

If the industry feels they need it, then they should try to make it a standard and pay apple royalties for using the standard. Then it will come under the FRAND guidelines for patented tech, and apple will have to license it out. Otherwise a company can enter into an agreement with apple for the same. As long as there is no standard around it, it is just proprietary tech, and apple doesn't have to license it out.
    radarthekatlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Here is my number one complaint about using any bluetooth audio device on Apple productions and I have yet to find a solution. It's the ambient noise problem, and non Apple media apps. If you listen to any Apple app like iTunes or podcasts you can get enough volume to over come ambient noise like in the gym or on plane, but if you're listening to netflix or the directv app tune volume is mutted and you can not turn it up enough to over come ambient sounds.

I have tested a number of different ways it does not matter what Bluetooth device you use our which non Apple multimedia apps you use same results, now if you plug in headphones no problem.
  • Reply 31 of 38

tzeshan said:
    According to the moron above you ( @Johan42 ) these look "nothing like AirPods". LMAO! Same thing they say about their knockoff iPhone and knockoff iPad etc.
    Yeah, these look sooooooo much alike.  LMAO indeed.
    Image result for galaxy buds vs airpods
  • Reply 32 of 38
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    This comparison is flawed without actually testing them. How things look on paper doesn’t always transfer to actual use.

Airpods became popular because they work so well in actual use.
    That’s what I thought too.  Apple has always been about the overall experience.  AirPods sound fantastic.  They work great.  They look great.  They charge quickly and last for 1/2 day without even a quick charge needed.  I don’t know how you compare the products without using them both.  And while they mention the age of the AirPods, comparing 2.5 year old tech with something on the bleeding edge of release seems silly.  Everyone knows AP2 are coming within a few months.  
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Eric_WVGG said:

Post this comment again when iOS controls a significant majority of the mobile device market; then we can talk antitrust.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38
    An article comparing headphones exclusively by comparing some specs, yet none of them actually regarding sound reproduction and quality is.... futile. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    I really don't like the in-ear headphones. AfterShokz for me. Sound quality of course not as good. 
  • Reply 36 of 38
    “AirPods are lighter than Galaxy Buds, weighing only 4 grams to Buds 5.6 grams. For something hanging out of your ear, that near 30-percent decrease can mean a lot.“

This. And it’s not coincidental that the Samsung product has a longer battery life: Bigger batteries weigh more.

Apple obviously weighed (no pun intended) the experience against the battery life and came down on the side of the experience (less mass). As the old joke goes, “I may be fat but you’re stupid, and I can always lose weight”. Apple can always increase the battery size if that becomes an issue.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    I didn’t wrote this because I don’t like Samsung, but “collaborating with big audio company” usually doesn’t mean anything, many laptops who claimed this sounds average, because their speaker system is still an afterthought.