iPhone, Android apps share sensitive health, financial data with Facebook without user's k...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Apple has the obligation to provide details of the developers and what data they collect and send out on App Store. Many apps collect info from the iPhone’s during installation, even before you start running them. App Store should provide blacklisting function so users can hide them, block them from getting them by themselves and their families.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Not sure why anyone is surprised, everyone who uses facebook signed away their privacy when got free use of Facebook products. 

The bigger question what these apps got in exchange for sending the data? Remember follow the money, these companies probably go paid by Facebook for this data, so once again you use the app for free and people did not think they were paying for it some other way. Yeah I know people are not too bright these days.

I'm waiting for the lawsuits for people like me who do not use facebook and Facebook collected our private information without our permission. When that comes I will be all in.
    christopher126lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 36
    ivanh said:
    Many apps collect info from the iPhone’s during installation, even before you start running them. 
    Really?! During installation? Can you provide some examples of apps on iOS that are gathering and sending information without our consent during the installation process? What types of data are being sent during installation?

Thanks!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    lostkiwi said:
    I see Apple said "...we quickly investigate and, if necessary, take immediate action"

That's great and I appreciate Apple can't always detect what unscrupulous data thieves (like Facebook) do to get personal data from people.
    But Apple really need to come down hard on Facebook & Google - not directly and publicly like they did to Flash but by closely examining how Fb steal this data and cutting off access, bit by bit before the WSJ or other bodies find it. 

Surely if the WSJ can think of and find this activity, Apple with its thousands of engineers & tech heritage can do better.
    They can’t , just imagine if you couldn’t use Facebook on a iPhone or google , they would be out of business overnight lol
  • Reply 25 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    maestro64 said:
    Not sure why anyone is surprised, everyone who uses facebook signed away their privacy when got free use of Facebook products. 

The bigger question what these apps got in exchange for sending the data? Remember follow the money, these companies probably go paid by Facebook for this data, so once again you use the app for free and people did not think they were paying for it some other way. Yeah I know people are not too bright these days.

I'm waiting for the lawsuits for people like me who do not use facebook and Facebook collected our private information without our permission. When that comes I will be all in.
    They've been both sued for it and it's been found to be illegal at least in some countries. This is one instance, and dating back to 2015.
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/19/facebooks-tracking-of-non-users-ruled-illegal-again/
  • Reply 26 of 36
    What are the development tools the developers of these apps using? Facebook provides React Native to developers to build iOS and Android apps. Facebook may also provide other tools. 
  • Reply 27 of 36
    farstriderfarstrider Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Lol whats funny is how many times apples online service has been hacked. Brings question into how secure their public web server is
  • Reply 28 of 36
    [...] Apple advised to the report it requires apps to acquire "prior user consent" in order to collect data
    Sounds good, but that doesn't really offer much in the way of protection. The developer simply includes some line, written in Legalese, buried in the middle of a paragraph, in it's Terms and Conditions that says you grant them permission to install a camera in your bathroom. As soon as we click "accept" the developer has satisfied Apple's consent requirement.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Lol whats funny is how many times apples online service has been hacked. Brings question into how secure their public web server is
    Whaat? Apple’s record of protecting user data if far better than that of their competitors. iCloud services have never been hacked. I don’t know where you are getting your information from. 

All the iCloud account break-in’s were made possible by celebrities who used easily guessable passwords, not due to any failure in iCloud security. The hackers were able to access only the celeb’s information, and not that of other iCloud users.

edited February 2019 watto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 30 of 36
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    When Apple tests apps submitted for the App Store, why don't THEY test the apps to see if they violate policy and user's security?    

But we also need new laws.  No app should ever send any data anywhere without express permission and no app should be permitted to track other apps or look into any cookies except their own.  

Unfortunately, in both parties in Congress, we have a bunch of old men who don't understand anything about technology or security and they certainly don't understand that future wars will be fought online (it's already happening) and not with bombs and bullets.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Do really want this guy to know when you're ovulating?

edited February 2019 maestro64watto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 32 of 36
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    JMCKEVER said:

They can’t , just imagine if you couldn’t use Facebook on a iPhone or google , they would be out of business overnight lol

You mean like Flash?, Apple doesn't need them, let people type in access to Facebook or Google thru the browser (no apps from them on the app store).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 36
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member

Using your enterprise dev cert isn't a hack, you are just misusing your developer's license. The 11 companies doing this (plus Facebook) can be stricken from the Obelisk. 
    It is coming before the end of 2019.....
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 36
    zoetmb said:
    [...] no app should be permitted to track other apps or look into any cookies except their own.
    Apple tends toward that approach, and the result is that I can't access certain streaming services without compromising my security/privacy.

At least two services we considered use third-party authentication systems. That means using the service requires allowing third-party cookies. Fortunately Safari allows me to override the restriction. Unfortunately it makes that an all-or-nothing proposition. If I allow third-party cookies for TSN, I allow them for EVERY web site I visit. I can't choose to allow it for specific web sites but not others.

The point is there may be legitimate uses for functions some developers abuse, so disabling them may not always be desirable.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 35 of 36
    I just sent an email to every third-party app on my MacOS... 

"Are you guys collecting my data and selling it to FaceBook, etc?

Thx. :)

Chris

Next, I'll send it to every App on my iPhone/iPad.

P.S. I'd really recommend everyone read the article in Saturday's WSJ! 

P.S.S. Just turn off in Settings, "Share Analytics with Apple and iCloud services." Already had, "Share Analytics with App developers" turned off! :)
    edited February 2019 gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 36
    What happened to my post that I posted on the 22nd of February?
    watto_cobra