Huawei's debuts $2,600 foldable Mate X, hits new smartphone price record

Comments

• Reply 21 of 118
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Bored of this trend already.  Wake me up when a tablet can fold twice into a quarter size phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 118
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    genovelle said:
    cropr said:
    This looks really nice.   Huawei is clearly grabbing the initiative in the mobile space.  If Apple can only respond in the normal september 2020 time frame with a 5G foldable phone, Huawei might already ship v2.0  of Mate X.  Of course we still need to see how this device works in practice

About the price I assume the 2299 Euro is VAT included (advertised prices in Europe are always VAT included), so the $2600 should be divided by 1.20

Where is the outrage over a phone more the twice the price of an iPhone?  Apple Added a significant amount of technology to their high end phone and the price increased by $100. The shot could be heard around the world. On the other hand “phone” by a company with far less experience or historical quality and that is $1000 more than Apple’s device, the price is reasonable?
    The price comes into line when you consider the cost of buying an iPhone plus an iPad plus paying for the 5G technology.

Apple uses similar logic to justify the increasing costs of its iPhones:  That they are being used to replace flip phones, laptops and cameras.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 118
    Although I feel the fold is a gimmick and I'll probably never switch to a plastic screen again, I've gotta admit, the prototype looks pretty cool.
  • Reply 24 of 118
    genovelle said:
    Where is the outrage over a phone more the twice the price of an iPhone?  Apple Added a significant amount of technology to their high end phone and the price increased by $100. The shot could be heard around the world. On the other hand “phone” by a company with far less experience or historical quality and that is $1000 more than Apple’s device, the price is reasonable?
    Probably because nobody is going to buy this turd.
    n2itivguyAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 118
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    cropr said:
    This looks really nice.   Huawei is clearly grabbing the initiative in the mobile space.  If Apple can only respond in the normal september 2020 time frame with a 5G foldable phone, Huawei might already ship v2.0  of Mate X.  Of course we still need to see how this device works in practice

About the price I assume the 2299 Euro is VAT included (advertised prices in Europe are always VAT included), so the $2600 should be divided by 1.20

Apple can control its own destiny. It doesn't need to follow what could (and probably is) a fad just because someone else did it first. If Apple sees a true market for this, they will release one in time. Just because it's late, doesn't mean it will fail. 
    n2itivguyStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 118
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    n2itivguy said:
    Foldable isn’t the future. Flexible and transparent are. “Earth: Final Conflict” had “Globals” with flexible screens that rolled into a tube when pocketed. 
    That’s one possibility. WESTWORLD makes a compelling argument for foldable. And then there’s projection screens, and VR specs. Then there’s just linking to a “public” display panel. I’m pretty sure we’re going to see a lot of possibilities before it’s all over ...
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 27 of 118
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    MacPro said:
    Android users are known for shelling out big bucks, I am sure this moving up market will be a massive success for these companies. /s
    /s?

Huawei has had $1,000+ phones for years now. Long before iPhone hit $1,000.

The current Mate RS 512GB retails at over 2,000€.

They have been successful enough to form part of major releases.

Obviously though, the phones are not mass market. For that, Huawei also has every price band covered.

This phone is not mass market either and costs so much due to the development costs involved. Richard Yu stated exactly that during the presentation and added that he hoped to be able to bring the costs down over time. A natural development if ever there was one.

muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 28 of 118
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    It's so fun watching these companies churn out flops when Apple isn't there to invent something for them to copy. Especially the Huawei device which rips off just about every visual element and UX design possible from iOS.

It's utterly pathetic and their just deserts.
    Are you referring to AIIS, Night Mode, Supercharge, tri cameras, 5G, ultra fast wifi, ultra fast modems etc.

Have you used EMUI?

There are similarities but not wholesale 'ripoff on just about every visual/UX element'.

Apple's interface for changing depth of focus after the fact looks a lot like Huawei's older interface I think.

It's not something I pay a lot of attention to and I use both iOS and EMUI.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 118
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    +1 for an attractive product over Samsung, even if the utility of both pointless products are on par.
  • Reply 30 of 118
    Folio said:
    Add one more fold and you got a beach lounge chair for your little pet hamster. Seriously, is this anything more than a "premium" publicity stunt? It seems in theory it'd be good for those who can't afford both a tablet and a phone-- until you see the price is in prime laptop stratosphere.
    You are missing it.   The iPad does you no good if its sitting at home on the shelf.  This is a tablet that is always with you and fits in your pocket.   BIG difference!  

While there will still be a market for tablets, this will put a dent into both the tablet market and the large screen phone market -- as it will enable a phone with a small screen to become a very big screen whenever needed.

Considering it runs Android (useless on tablets) then this device offers no real benefits.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 118
    Folio said:
    Add one more fold and you got a beach lounge chair for your little pet hamster. Seriously, is this anything more than a "premium" publicity stunt? It seems in theory it'd be good for those who can't afford both a tablet and a phone-- until you see the price is in prime laptop stratosphere.
    You are missing it.   The iPad does you no good if its sitting at home on the shelf.  This is a tablet that is always with you and fits in your pocket.   BIG difference!  

While there will still be a market for tablets, this will put a dent into both the tablet market and the large screen phone market -- as it will enable a phone with a small screen to become a very big screen whenever needed.
    Considering it runs Android (useless on tablets) then this device offers no real benefits.
    Yep. Even after all these years they still can't figure out the tablet UI. If Apple decided to do this it would be done right because 1) they idealize the UI for the HW, and 2) wouldn't release something just say to say "me first. The many failed attempts to make an Android phone function as a convertible desktop OS have also failed and yet I have faith that Apple could make a macOS (or macOS-like) UI that could switch on an iPhone when plugged into the appropriate dock or other peripherals.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 118
    Wake me up when the origami phone launches.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 118
    dayedaye Posts: 18member
    AppleInsider should survey its readers on how many of them are willing to get those device today at that price?

Everyone talks about how expensive iPhones are and yet silent on those $2000 plus phones?

Sorry, I am not going to buy those phones even if they are selling at half of the price.

i would like to see if someone develops a VR or AR screen on smartphones .
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 118
    cropr said:
    Yeah right. Being first (or second) isn’t what it’s about, and Apple doesn’t try to play that game. Any device Apple may release is not a “response” to this, to be certain. Apple Watch came out after samsung’s crap, but was not a response to it. Instead they took their time, producing something that was better, by design. Not as a response.
    edited February 2019 suddenly newtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 118
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    http://chinamediaproject.org/2019/02/13/the-dawn-of-the-little-red-phone/

The Mate X will obviously be the foldable of choice for "Xi Study Points"

"Available at the website xuexi.cn, the “Xi Study Strong Nation” app is tool by means of which, once installed, the Party can assert its ideological and intellectual authority over Party members and employees of Party-run institutions, including schools and media. Beyond making Party messages passively available, as Party newspapers and state controlled media have done for decades, the app commands engagement, by which users can earn “Xi Study Points” (学习积分). Once engagement with the app is enforced by administrative demands that it be installed and used, something that is already happening, the messages of the Party become inescapable."

Let all the other Party Members look with envy as you study on your Mate X!

edited February 2019 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 118
    vukasika said:
    While this phone is attractive, it is also trying to distract you from the fundamental problem with an Android OS phone, which is that the tablet app experience is garbage. On a phablet the issues was not as noticeable because I think most of us considered the additional screen real estate a reasonable trade off for a phone that perhaps couldn't quite fit in your pocket. I am of the opinion that the reason Android phone use grew was a combination of Google literally giving them away & the fact that the additional screen size of the phablets did not created a noticeable change in the app experience.  Fast forward to today, while all of us are wondering who's going to make a the first phone that unfolds into a tablet.  Samsung & Huawei unveil 2 phones that unfold & transform from small chunky phones into phablets, which is exactly what no one asked for. Samsung bragged that Google helped them develop the apps that optimized the larger screen.  LoL what they meant to say was the square screen.  Why did they do this? Because Google knows that Android phablet that expands into a full sized tablet is DoA.  Even Google Pixel doesn't use Android OS. Now maybe an Android phone that unfolds and is running Chrome on the bigger screen can work but that's a different story & this doesn't seem to be likely as Google tinkers with the idea of a brand new OS.  The same problem need solved though, large screen apps of quality would need to be created as very few actually exist now. 

Apple on the other had is well positioned for a phone that unfolds into a tablet for 2 reasons. First, the Apple focus on thin phones.  We've all wondered why the Apple obsession with skinny phones.  Well maybe because 2 very thin sides of a folded phone would avoid the chunky appearance of a future foldable iPhone.  We all know Apple has a thing for aesthetics and an Apple foldable is not going to look like a iBrick when folded close. Second, the Apple tablet experience is great.  iOS actually takes advantage of the additional screen real estate to give us a better app experience.  I don't see any other provider who can reproduce an experience that takes advantage of the additional space to make something happen. Perhaps Microsoft will one day delivery on an ARM-base full version of Windows on a "micro-tablet" format but this just seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.  Microsofts committed to mobile platform self-inflicted harm is legendary at this point.  Anyone who says that are developing a phone for Windows should probably be put on suicide watch at this point.

Add to this madness the price point.  It's as if Apple said "we will charge $1500 for a phablet" and the Android response was "hold my beer."  This is complete and utter madness at this point.  A $2000 phone better be able to connect to a screen, mouse & keyboard and run full desktop class OS, at least in my opinion. I think the $2000+ phone category has 1 cycle in it just like the $10,000 Apple watch category. Phone makers seem to have forgotten that then pushed the issue of new phones every year but this is no longer a sustainable cycle.  I got an XS Max last year because on of my kids finally needed a replacement for him damaged 7 so I gave my 7s+.  All of the sane people I know are only buying phones to replace damaged ones that are no longer under covered under warranties. 

All that said I can think of one glaring reason Apple doesn't want to make the foldable phone that people seem to want.  The golden rule of Tim Cook's Apple, Thou Shall NOT Compromise Profit. A phone that could replace the need to buy a phone & a tablet is an anathema of the current business model dominating Apple. This is the same reason why you will NEVER see an Apple equivalent of the Surface Book. By that I mean a device that is MacOS when the connected but iOS when you disconnect the screen (so not gonna happen).  Apple will only engage in innovation when the threat of profitable tanking from stagnation outweighs the benefit of bleeding the consumers pockets for every possible dime.  Don't get me wrong, this in not a SJW rant, but Apple doesn't seem to lean forward into R&D any more, it just fine tunes the advances of others these days. I find it odd that most Apple folks don't even notice that any more.  I suppose that's just one more example of the bubbles we live in these days.

As always, just my $.02 on the topic. Everyone have a great day.
    #Vuk

Great first half and agreed. When it comes to thinness, I've always thought that we can't get to the futuristic devices of science fiction without first getting our devices as thin as possible. The curmudgeons don't like it, but they're often myopic and cannot see the forest from the trees, especially when it comes to Apple's long-term roadmaps. 

But you went off the rails with the conspiracy theory that Apple won't cannibalize their own products. Of course they have and will and have said so. They'd rather have you buy something cheaper from them than from someone else. Thus, we have a $329 iPad, which is not only much cheaper than the original $500 iPad, but much cheaper than what people expected it to launch at ($1000) and much, much cheaper than MacBooks, the thing you would have bought for many of the tablet's use cases. That's product cannibalization. But they've done so anyway.
    edited February 2019 suddenly newtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 118

With this announcement it is important to realize that not only is Trump walking back his allegations that Huawei is a security concern, but most of Europe is now challenging his claims.   In fact, Great Britian's head of intelligence just issued an ultimatum to Trump to "Put up (the evidence) or shut up".
    You're confusing the Trump executive administration with the US intelligence community; agencies which Trump does not like.

Did you ever see the evidence that Putin and the Russians hacked the DNC email and meddled in our election? Nope. But you accept that they did.
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 118
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    One more device. Clearly a solution to an unknown problem.
    suddenly newtonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 118
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    That's a lot of money for a gimmick.

I would rather buy an iPad, iPad Mini, Apple Watch and an iPhone. Bonus: you don't have to fold anything.
    AppleExposedSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 118
    Blunt said:
    That's a lot of money for a gimmick.

I would rather buy an iPad, iPad Mini, Apple Watch and an iPhone. Bonus: you don't have to fold anything.
    That's not true. You have to fold your wallet because you still have money when you don't buy this "worst of both worlds" device.
    gatorguyGG1watto_cobra