Huawei's debuts $2,600 foldable Mate X, hits new smartphone price record

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

The idiots who claimed Apple was too expensive, "greedy" and ripping off their customers. Where they at?

And no headphone jack!! This company is just ripping their customers off!!!!!1111

StrangeDaysdayewatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 118
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    I guess nobody is going to report how much these foldables weigh until the OEM advertises a number?

The iPad mini with cellular is 0.79 lbs. These 7 to 8 inch foldables are going to be on order about that much weight, and I’m not sure I want to have something that heavy in my pockets. Then, using such a heavy device in phone mode won’t be that great either, as they all are both heavy and thick.
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 118
    But Huawei is a spy...
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 118
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tht said:
    I guess nobody is going to report how much these foldables weigh until the OEM advertises a number?

The iPad mini with cellular is 0.79 lbs. These 7 to 8 inch foldables are going to be on order about that much weight, and I’m not sure I want to have something that heavy in my pockets. Then, using such a heavy device in phone mode won’t be that great either, as they all are both heavy and thick.
    I'm certainly not seeing an upside at this point. If Android had an amazing tablet OS and if there was a group of people (older people, in general) who want a tablet and only occasionally a smartphone or want to fold a tablet for travel, then I could see this being viable for a specific group (or groups), but since Android doesn't have that its utility seems to be a clunky smartphone and awful tablet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 118
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I see we are in the race to see who can make the most expensive folding phone. It reminds me when flip phones were the rage and everyone was trying to figure out the next best flip style phones and Motorola came up with this $1500 solution. Yeah it did not sell well, but it is was one of the first circular displays with a sapphire crystal and dual SIM cards. 

I personally do not know what you do with a square display, that is so 1970's.

It like going to the Detroit Auto show, all the car companies show off products which they tell us are the future but they never come out as product, if they do come out people do not buy since they cost too much.
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 118
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Samesung's Fold has a STARTING price of $1980. That means the price goes up to over $2000 if you want more memory and storage. A price I haven't seen anyone list as all we have been shown is a Starting Price.

For for this Mate X. Crazy expensive. You have a Plastic screen as as you well know, plastic easily scratches and doesn't have the same feel as glass. With the screen on the outside, that makes the problem of scratches worse than folded inside. Who are they targeting this thing for?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 118
    maestro64 said:
    I see we are in the race to see who can make the most expensive folding phone. It reminds me when flip phones were the rage and everyone was trying to figure out the next best flip style phones and Motorola came up with this $1500 solution. Yeah it did not sell well, but it is was one of the first circular displays with a sapphire crystal. 

I personally do not know what you do with a square display, that is so 1970's.

It like going to the Detroit Auto show, all the car companies show off products which they tell us are the future but they never come out as product, if they do come out people do not buy since they cost too much.
    Remember when Nokia was trying to be "innovative" with cheap, futuristic looking designs?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 118
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    Folio said:
    Add one more fold and you got a beach lounge chair for your little pet hamster. Seriously, is this anything more than a "premium" publicity stunt? It seems in theory it'd be good for those who can't afford both a tablet and a phone-- until you see the price is in prime laptop stratosphere.
    You are missing it.   The iPad does you no good if its sitting at home on the shelf.  This is a tablet that is always with you and fits in your pocket.   BIG difference!  

While there will still be a market for tablets, this will put a dent into both the tablet market and the large screen phone market -- as it will enable a phone with a small screen to become a very big screen whenever needed.

Considering it runs Android (useless on tablets) then this device offers no real benefits.
    Then change your mentality and look at this from a different perspective.

Imagine it as a larger phone screen. Imagine current split screen but not cramped onto one screen but two. Imagine taking portrait photos and having the subject be able to see his/her pose.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 49 of 118
    avon b7 said:
    Folio said:
    Add one more fold and you got a beach lounge chair for your little pet hamster. Seriously, is this anything more than a "premium" publicity stunt? It seems in theory it'd be good for those who can't afford both a tablet and a phone-- until you see the price is in prime laptop stratosphere.
    You are missing it.   The iPad does you no good if its sitting at home on the shelf.  This is a tablet that is always with you and fits in your pocket.   BIG difference!  

While there will still be a market for tablets, this will put a dent into both the tablet market and the large screen phone market -- as it will enable a phone with a small screen to become a very big screen whenever needed.

Considering it runs Android (useless on tablets) then this device offers no real benefits.

Imagine it as a larger phone screen. Imagine current split screen but not cramped onto one screen but two. Imagine taking portrait photos and having the subject be able to see his/her pose.
    Yes, Eric, imagine a UI designed for smartphone put over a much larger display with stretched out icons and large, chunky text. Doesn't that sound great? /s
    tmayericthehalfbeeStrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 118
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Folio said:

Yes, Eric, imagine a UI designed for smartphone put over a much larger display with stretched out icons and large, chunky text. Doesn't that sound great? /s
    Oh, so you never watched the demo either. LOL. 

And the comparison, if memory serves me correctly, was with an XS Max. 
  • Reply 51 of 118
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

With this announcement it is important to realize that not only is Trump walking back his allegations that Huawei is a security concern, but most of Europe is now challenging his claims.   In fact, Great Britian's head of intelligence just issued an ultimatum to Trump to "Put up (the evidence) or shut up".
    You're confusing the Trump executive administration with the US intelligence community; agencies which Trump does not like.

Did you ever see the evidence that Putin and the Russians hacked the DNC email and meddled in our election? Nope. But you accept that they did.
    Good point.   Or, it would be if it were applicable.   It is not the U.S. intelligence community who made the allegations of spying against Huawei, it was Trump.   And, not only is the rest of the world starting to question those allegations, but Trump is starting to walk them back.
    avon b7
  • Reply 52 of 118
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    I fail to see any benefits of being an early adopter of semi-pocketable folding screen devices. Over time, who knows what will happen in this genre, or why I'd be compelled to want to buy one, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by letting the dust settle and watching from the sidelines. In fact, the more likely trend for truly "disruptive" innovations is to sneak in from the bottom of the food chain, not to try to overwhelm with superfluous features and masive price tags from the top. The piling-on of superfluous and gratuitous features is a sure sign that the current smartphone market is stagnating and running out opportunities to grow. The cash cows are mooing and will be doing do until someone discovers an unfulfilled need that can actually be served by innovation rather than trying to invent the need through "geez, look what I can do" frivolity. These folding phones are, at least for now, overly expensive clown cars.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 118
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Folio said:

Oh, I watched the demo, and they've appeared* to do well with creating a UI for the tablet that is somewhat functional but you stated "imagine it as a larger phone screen" which is a complete fail. For all their faults, at least they can imagine someone more than a larger phone screen for a tablet UI.

* Considering their hands off approach, their long history of deception, and the lack of specs or a release, there has to be an asterisk to note this is still vaporware until it launches.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 118

With this announcement it is important to realize that not only is Trump walking back his allegations that Huawei is a security concern, but most of Europe is now challenging his claims.   In fact, Great Britian's head of intelligence just issued an ultimatum to Trump to "Put up (the evidence) or shut up".
    You're confusing the Trump executive administration with the US intelligence community; agencies which Trump does not like.

Did you ever see the evidence that Putin and the Russians hacked the DNC email and meddled in our election? Nope. But you accept that they did.
    Good point.   Or, it would be if it were applicable.   It is not the U.S. intelligence community who made the allegations of spying against Huawei, it was Trump.   And, not only is the rest of the world starting to question those allegations, but Trump is starting to walk them back.
    You mention the rage carrot so often now on AI that I have to assume that you're paid every time you post his name. 🤦‍♂️
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 118
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member

The U.S. Intelligence Community is for banning Huawei from U.S. infrastructure decidedly because Huawei is a private company that has Chinese Communist Party leadership and is at the beck and call of the Chinese Communist Party. Huawei is certainly part of the State economic Plan, so belies the "private" company that we would recognize in the West. I would add that China is an aggressive power in South Asia, is an adversary of Western Democracy in the Pacific, and it noted for its "soft" power bought and paid for in Western Democracies. With that, I actually expect a shooting war to break out within the next decade in the South China Sea between Western and Chinese Naval forces.

Do you need links for the above? They are plentiful.

If you are fine with the U.S. requiring purchase of Huawei Telecom gear because it is "fair", then I would tell you that China is anything but a fair player, and that has been born out in many industries.

With all that, we voters in the U.S. have a number of options to remove a President, from Amendments for impaired mental capacity, Articles of Impeachment, or, via a democratic election of another President. Sadly, China Citizens are not in the same position. When you decide to choose between the U.S. and China, keep that in mind.

Here's a couple of links;

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/the-west-ignored-crimes-against-humanity-in-the-1930s-its-happening-again-now/2019/02/15/d17d4998-3130-11e9-813a-0ab2f17e305b_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.47bc9ce73d7d

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/23/business/china-entrepreneurs-confidence.html

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/21/chinese-port-bans-imports-of-australian-coal-sending-dollar-tumbling?CMP=share_btn_tw

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/are-freedom-navigation-operations-east-asia-enough-45257

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-01-10/china-s-digital-silk-road-is-looking-more-like-an-iron-curtain
    edited February 2019 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 118
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Folio said:

Oh, I watched the demo, and they've appeared* to do well with creating a UI for the tablet that is somewhat functional but you stated "imagine it as a larger phone screen" which is a complete fail. For all their faults, at least they can imagine someone more than a larger phone screen for a tablet UI.

* Considering their hands off approach, their long history of deception, and the lack of specs or a release, there has to be an asterisk to note this is still vaporware until it launches.
    A larger phone screen is not a 'complete fail' and was in response to the very short sighted Android tablet comments. You do realise that if anyone, Huawei and Samsung play the large phone screen card very well. They both have years of experience with Android on large screens. The Mate 20 X measures 7.2".

Of course in the demo, you saw no stretched icons or clunky text. You saw a phone screen with plenty of room to breathe. You saw an example of book reading compared directly with the same book on a XS Max. You saw photos that were presented beautifully. The aspect ratio was not an issue either. 

None of this should surprise you as they sell decent tablets too (although I have no reason to switch from my iPad).

This device and the Samsung Fold also offer the option of having two 'phone screens' on the same physical screen. There is a huge benefit right there.

As for vapourware, I suppose Apple's Air Power falls into that category too. In the case of the Mate X, Richard Yu stated that things were going to be finalised in the coming months but that final testing was being carried out but that also required waiting for external players to finish testing - the industry and 5G specifically.

Another reason the reveal was skimpy on some details is that the P30 series is coming next month and shares technology with the Mate X. They didn't want to spoil that presentation by revealing the technology beforehand (at least that is the common thinking and it makes a lot of sense). That's why during the hands on (yes, there was a hands on), no one was allowed into the camera app.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 57 of 118
    avon b7 said:
    They didn't want to spoil that presentation by revealing the technology beforehand..
    So they announced and did a shady demo to not spoil it by spoiling it. Makes perfect sense. /s

A reasonable company would simply not worry about trying to entice people like you with such things.
    StrangeDaysericthehalfbeeAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 118
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    They didn't want to spoil that presentation by revealing the technology beforehand..
    So they announced and did a shady demo to not spoil it by spoiling it. Makes perfect sense. /s

A reasonable company would simply not worry about trying to entice people like you with such things.
    On the contrary.

Huawei has a habit of presenting stuff at MWC. There is NO bigger platform for communications related technologies. It is presenting a lot of stuff. So much that it has had spread things out over various events including a pre MWC briefing where it presented the Tiangang chipset and Balong 5G01. Post MWC, the P30 series will get its own event in Paris (26th March).

Nothing shady about anything.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 59 of 118
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

Avon B7 doesn't actually buy the top end stuff; but he sure preaches it like he wants it.
    StrangeDaysSoliericthehalfbeeAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 118

Incorrect. Six US intelligence agencies, which debriefed US senators. The same agencies Trump decries for their comments about him. There is no way Trump controls these six agencies and made them fake their conclusions. 

“Don’t use Huawei phones, say heads of FBI, CIA, and NSA”

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011246/huawei-phones-safe-us-intelligence-chief-fears

US Senators: “Huawei is effectively an arm of the Chinese government”

https://www.cio.com.au/article/633134/huawei-effectively-an-arm-chinese-government-us-senator/

...so if you believed them when they said Russia helped Trump win, I want to know why you choose not to believe them now. Other than confirmation bias, of course. 
    edited February 2019 Solitmaywatto_cobra