Comments

• Reply 61 of 118
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Folio said:
    Add one more fold and you got a beach lounge chair for your little pet hamster. Seriously, is this anything more than a "premium" publicity stunt? It seems in theory it'd be good for those who can't afford both a tablet and a phone-- until you see the price is in prime laptop stratosphere.
    You are missing it.   The iPad does you no good if its sitting at home on the shelf.  This is a tablet that is always with you and fits in your pocket.   BIG difference!  

While there will still be a market for tablets, this will put a dent into both the tablet market and the large screen phone market -- as it will enable a phone with a small screen to become a very big screen whenever needed.

Considering it runs Android (useless on tablets) then this device offers no real benefits.
    Then change your mentality and look at this from a different perspective.

Imagine it as a larger phone screen. Imagine current split screen but not cramped onto one screen but two. Imagine taking portrait photos and having the subject be able to see his/her pose.
    Yes, Eric, imagine a UI designed for smartphone put over a much larger display with stretched out icons and large, chunky text. Doesn't that sound great? /s
    Oh, so you never watched the demo either. LOL. 

And the comparison, if memory serves me correctly, was with an XS Max. 
    Oh, I watched the demo, and they've appeared* to do well with creating a UI for the tablet that is somewhat functional but you stated "imagine it as a larger phone screen" which is a complete fail. For all their faults, at least they can imagine someone more than a larger phone screen for a tablet UI.

* Considering their hands off approach, their long history of deception, and the lack of specs or a release, there has to be an asterisk to note this is still vaporware until it launches.
    A larger phone screen is not a 'complete fail' and was in response to the very short sighted Android tablet comments. You do realise that if anyone, Huawei and Samsung play the large phone screen card very well. They both have years of experience with Android on large screens. The Mate 20 X measures 7.2".

Of course in the demo, you saw no stretched icons or clunky text. You saw a phone screen with plenty of room to breathe. You saw an example of book reading compared directly with the same book on a XS Max. You saw photos that were presented beautifully. The aspect ratio was not an issue either. 

None of this should surprise you as they sell decent tablets too (although I have no reason to switch from my iPad).

This device and the Samsung Fold also offer the option of having two 'phone screens' on the same physical screen. There is a huge benefit right there.

As for vapourware, I suppose Apple's Air Power falls into that category too. In the case of the Mate X, Richard Yu stated that things were going to be finalised in the coming months but that final testing was being carried out but that also required waiting for external players to finish testing - the industry and 5G specifically.

Another reason the reveal was skimpy on some details is that the P30 series is coming next month and shares technology with the Mate X. They didn't want to spoil that presentation by revealing the technology beforehand (at least that is the common thinking and it makes a lot of sense). That's why during the hands on (yes, there was a hands on), no one was allowed into the camera app.

All this proves is you know jack shit about programming for Android.

The only reason the things they demoed looked OK is because they specifically chose Apps that have been modified to work correctly (opr they modified some themselves). Even something as simple as split screen on Android requires the developer to make changes to their App. Minor changes, for sure, but the fact so many Apps still don't work properly on split screen (and when Android 7.0 came out it took a long time before you started seeing developers modify their Apps) shows what a complete clusterfuck Android is when it comes to Apps.

Samsung already has their developer page out for the Fold explaining how to modify Apps to best take advantage of their device. I expect Huawei will do the same, as Android Apps WILL NOT "just work" on these foldable devices.

Airpower? Pathetic trolling attempt to deflect away from the fact Android is a piece of shit on tablets (or large screened phones) despite you lying to try and claim otherwise.
    StrangeDaysSoliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 118
    jbdragon said:
    Samesung's Fold has a STARTING price of $1980. That means the price goes up to over $2000 if you want more memory and storage. A price I haven't seen anyone list as all we have been shown is a Starting Price.

For for this Mate X. Crazy expensive. You have a Plastic screen as as you well know, plastic easily scratches and doesn't have the same feel as glass. With the screen on the outside, that makes the problem of scratches worse than folded inside. Who are they targeting this thing for?
    I consider all of these foldables marketing efforts and not at all serious products. These are Android phones! 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 118
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    these were somehow removed from my previous post...Huawei hacking?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 118
    thttht Posts: 5,441member
    Soli said:
    tht said:
    I guess nobody is going to report how much these foldables weigh until the OEM advertises a number?

The iPad mini with cellular is 0.79 lbs. These 7 to 8 inch foldables are going to be on order about that much weight, and I’m not sure I want to have something that heavy in my pockets. Then, using such a heavy device in phone mode won’t be that great either, as they all are both heavy and thick.
    I'm certainly not seeing an upside at this point. If Android had an amazing tablet OS and if there was a group of people (older people, in general) who want a tablet and only occasionally a smartphone or want to fold a tablet for travel, then I could see this being viable for a specific group (or groups), but since Android doesn't have that its utility seems to be a clunky smartphone and awful tablet.
    I don’t think anybody is thinking these devices will sell a lot. The media just loves it as a cycle of hype, so, it’s more talk than anything right now. There is going to be a formula or a design that’ll work, I just don’t think we’re seeing it right now.

The lack of success for 7 to 8 tablets - iPad mini hasn’t been updated, not many Android tablets in this range - is probably telling us that it is not enough screen space over a 6” phone to drive a lot of sales. Then, I think text input on 7 to 8 tablets is worse than phones and >10” tablets, negatively affecting sales. Heck, even in laptops, 8” used to be normal for netbooks for about a year, and then they crept up to 10” and now >12” today. And, reading eBooks is well served by $50 Kindles.

Maybe a tri-fold? 6” 2:1 in phone mode, 9.7” 3:2 in tablet mode? But, it would then be 1 lb and 0.8” thick. An even worse penalty to hold and pocket. Really does need solid state Li-ion batteries with twice the energy density and be even thinner. Another 5 years perhaps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 118
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    NY1822 said:

What's the point of these?

And it's absolutely disgusting how they can steal Apples phone icon. Seems no one in the iKnockoff camp has a creative bone in their body.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 118
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tht said:
    Soli said:
    tht said:
    I guess nobody is going to report how much these foldables weigh until the OEM advertises a number?

The iPad mini with cellular is 0.79 lbs. These 7 to 8 inch foldables are going to be on order about that much weight, and I’m not sure I want to have something that heavy in my pockets. Then, using such a heavy device in phone mode won’t be that great either, as they all are both heavy and thick.
    I'm certainly not seeing an upside at this point. If Android had an amazing tablet OS and if there was a group of people (older people, in general) who want a tablet and only occasionally a smartphone or want to fold a tablet for travel, then I could see this being viable for a specific group (or groups), but since Android doesn't have that its utility seems to be a clunky smartphone and awful tablet.
    I don’t think anybody is thinking these devices will sell a lot. The media just loves it as a cycle of hype, so, it’s more talk than anything right now. There is going to be a formula or a design that’ll work, I just don’t think we’re seeing it right now.

The lack of success for 7 to 8 tablets - iPad mini hasn’t been updated, not many Android tablets in this range - is probably telling us that it is not enough screen space over a 6” phone to drive a lot of sales. Then, I think text input on 7 to 8 tablets is worse than phones and >10” tablets, negatively affecting sales. Heck, even in laptops, 8” used to be normal for netbooks for about a year, and then they crept up to 10” and now >12” today. And, reading eBooks is well served by $50 Kindles.

Maybe a tri-fold? 6” 2:1 in phone mode, 9.7” 3:2 in tablet mode? But, it would then be 1 lb and 0.8” thick. An even worse penalty to hold and pocket. Really does need solid state Li-ion batteries with twice the energy density and be even thinner. Another 5 years perhaps.
    1) I mentioned on another thread about the Samsung Fold that they're probably priced inline with yield and I assume enough people will buy these just for its own sake. I love tech and I guess someone has to be first, but I wish that there was more thought and consideration that went into these products. At least the Huawei device looks (mostly) like a modern device.

2) I see a utility for rolling a display. LG has a TV (video, 02m:20s) that will roll but the only utility I've seen is for hiding it in a cabinet. They do reduce the size of the display (which increases its aspect ratio) which has a UI for some very specific things, but they're shoehorning that int the device. A more natural application for a flexible devices may be a military application where you can, say, where the display on arm. I think there was a bad movie about the near future on Mars that had something like that. [edit: Mission to Mars (2000).]
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 118
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Soli said:
    Blunt said:
    That's a lot of money for a gimmick.

I would rather buy an iPad, iPad Mini, Apple Watch and an iPhone. Bonus: you don't have to fold anything.
    That's not true. You have to fold your wallet because you still have money when you don't buy this "worst of both worlds" device.
    LOL!
  • Reply 68 of 118
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Galaxy Fold and Mate X is a move in the right direction of the future. Why? Because the future will put everything in one device. Will they succeed? Then you need to answer the question whether Android tablet is as good as iPad. 
  • Reply 69 of 118

With this announcement it is important to realize that not only is Trump walking back his allegations that Huawei is a security concern, but most of Europe is now challenging his claims.   In fact, Great Britian's head of intelligence just issued an ultimatum to Trump to "Put up (the evidence) or shut up".
    You're confusing the Trump executive administration with the US intelligence community; agencies which Trump does not like.

Did you ever see the evidence that Putin and the Russians hacked the DNC email and meddled in our election? Nope. But you accept that they did.
    Good point.   Or, it would be if it were applicable.   It is not the U.S. intelligence community who made the allegations of spying against Huawei, it was Trump.   And, not only is the rest of the world starting to question those allegations, but Trump is starting to walk them back.
    Incorrect. Six US intelligence agencies, which debriefed US senators. The same agencies Trump decries for their comments about him. There is no way Trump controls these six agencies and made them fake their conclusions. 

“Don’t use Huawei phones, say heads of FBI, CIA, and NSA”

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011246/huawei-phones-safe-us-intelligence-chief-fears

US Senators: “Huawei is effectively an arm of the Chinese government”

https://www.cio.com.au/article/633134/huawei-effectively-an-arm-chinese-government-us-senator/

...so if you believed them when they said Russia helped Trump win, I want to know why you choose not to believe them now. Other than confirmation bias, of course. 
    There is single correct reason they would not tell you or the world. Using Huawei equipment will pose great difficulty for US spy agencies to install back doors. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 70 of 118

NY1822 said:

What's the point of these?

And it's absolutely disgusting how they can steal Apples phone icon. Seems no one in the iKnockoff camp has a creative bone in their body.

I think the icons are provided by the Google Android OS. 
  • Reply 71 of 118
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Folio said:
    Add one more fold and you got a beach lounge chair for your little pet hamster. Seriously, is this anything more than a "premium" publicity stunt? It seems in theory it'd be good for those who can't afford both a tablet and a phone-- until you see the price is in prime laptop stratosphere.
    You are missing it.   The iPad does you no good if its sitting at home on the shelf.  This is a tablet that is always with you and fits in your pocket.   BIG difference!  

While there will still be a market for tablets, this will put a dent into both the tablet market and the large screen phone market -- as it will enable a phone with a small screen to become a very big screen whenever needed.

Considering it runs Android (useless on tablets) then this device offers no real benefits.
    Then change your mentality and look at this from a different perspective.

Imagine it as a larger phone screen. Imagine current split screen but not cramped onto one screen but two. Imagine taking portrait photos and having the subject be able to see his/her pose.
    Yes, Eric, imagine a UI designed for smartphone put over a much larger display with stretched out icons and large, chunky text. Doesn't that sound great? /s
    Oh, so you never watched the demo either. LOL. 

And the comparison, if memory serves me correctly, was with an XS Max. 
    Oh, I watched the demo, and they've appeared* to do well with creating a UI for the tablet that is somewhat functional but you stated "imagine it as a larger phone screen" which is a complete fail. For all their faults, at least they can imagine someone more than a larger phone screen for a tablet UI.

* Considering their hands off approach, their long history of deception, and the lack of specs or a release, there has to be an asterisk to note this is still vaporware until it launches.
    A larger phone screen is not a 'complete fail' and was in response to the very short sighted Android tablet comments. You do realise that if anyone, Huawei and Samsung play the large phone screen card very well. They both have years of experience with Android on large screens. The Mate 20 X measures 7.2".

Of course in the demo, you saw no stretched icons or clunky text. You saw a phone screen with plenty of room to breathe. You saw an example of book reading compared directly with the same book on a XS Max. You saw photos that were presented beautifully. The aspect ratio was not an issue either. 

None of this should surprise you as they sell decent tablets too (although I have no reason to switch from my iPad).

This device and the Samsung Fold also offer the option of having two 'phone screens' on the same physical screen. There is a huge benefit right there.

As for vapourware, I suppose Apple's Air Power falls into that category too. In the case of the Mate X, Richard Yu stated that things were going to be finalised in the coming months but that final testing was being carried out but that also required waiting for external players to finish testing - the industry and 5G specifically.

Another reason the reveal was skimpy on some details is that the P30 series is coming next month and shares technology with the Mate X. They didn't want to spoil that presentation by revealing the technology beforehand (at least that is the common thinking and it makes a lot of sense). That's why during the hands on (yes, there was a hands on), no one was allowed into the camera app.

All this proves is you know jack shit about programming for Android.

The only reason the things they demoed looked OK is because they specifically chose Apps that have been modified to work correctly (opr they modified some themselves). Even something as simple as split screen on Android requires the developer to make changes to their App. Minor changes, for sure, but the fact so many Apps still don't work properly on split screen (and when Android 7.0 came out it took a long time before you started seeing developers modify their Apps) shows what a complete clusterfuck Android is when it comes to Apps.

Samsung already has their developer page out for the Fold explaining how to modify Apps to best take advantage of their device. I expect Huawei will do the same, as Android Apps WILL NOT "just work" on these foldable devices.

Airpower? Pathetic trolling attempt to deflect away from the fact Android is a piece of shit on tablets (or large screened phones) despite you lying to try and claim otherwise.
    Please tell me where you saw anyone say 'it will just work'?

Of course apps have to be adapted and both Huawei and Samsung will provide the APIs. Just like Huawei provided all the hooks to its AI platform. All while Google is plumbing Android itself to support folding phones. 

Now, a question for you. Huawei is increasing its tablet sales quarter after quarter and is present at different price bands. I don't see why you should think there is a 'clusterfuck' with apps on Huawei tablets. There isn't.

Of course, this new category requires adapting apps - and the behaviour of the host OS. It is a new category! Can you see that? If you can, you will be able to understand what I am saying.

As for AirPower, I have defended Apple and understood the issues that might be behind the delay but if someone starts throwing 'vapourware' claims around just one day after the presentation, you can expect a pretty strong counter.

edited February 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 72 of 118
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    Soli said:
    Blunt said:
    That's a lot of money for a gimmick.

I would rather buy an iPad, iPad Mini, Apple Watch and an iPhone. Bonus: you don't have to fold anything.
    That's not true. You have to fold your wallet because you still have money when you don't buy this "worst of both worlds" device.
    Each to their own. For anything to succeed (or fail) it has to exist.

For you it's 'a worst of both worlds' device and you are unable to see that perhaps this could be a new world in itself.

Here are two opinions that differ to yours:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/18239374/huawei-mate-x-foldable-phone-samsung-galaxy-fold-design-mwc-2019

https://www.cnet.com/news/i-used-the-huawei-mate-x-and-now-im-a-foldable-phone-believer/

I'm keeping an open mind and at least waiting to see reviews of a final product. You have already made up your mind.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 73 of 118
    vukasika said:
    While this phone is attractive, it is also trying to distract you from the fundamental problem with an Android OS phone, which is that the tablet app experience is garbage. On a phablet the issues was not as noticeable because I think most of us considered the additional screen real.....
    #Vuk

Longer than the article... But I agree!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 118
    I know zero about Android OS, but on Huawei Mate X's website some of the apps look like Apple design and some look like Android design. Wouldn't mine feedback and thoughts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 118
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    1. The current administration is not the one that judged Huawei (and ZTE) to be too big a security risk for any of their agencies to buy either brand. That was the Pentagon, backed up by the NSA and the previous administration.

2. It is not in dispute that Huawei is state-controlled.

3. The CFO of Huawei is being held in Canada on charges of fraud, pretending that a bank called Skycom was not affiliated with Huawei when in fact it was the same company. The US charges that Huawei used this shell company to access the Iran market in dealings that contravene U.S. sanctions. The charges haven't been proven, but the extradition from Canada hasn't been withdrawn, and she's been denied bail.

4. The Chinese government is still going ahead with trade talks with the present administration, which suggests that while they don't like the Huawei situation, she's not worth fighting very hard over.

5. The Huawei rendering of their foldable phone looks a lot nicer than Samsung's physical unit, but as pointed out by others above the foolishness of put the screen on the outside and having a visible crease rules this out as anything but a proof-of-concept that nobody in their right mind is going to actually buy.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 118
    I know zero about Android OS, but on Huawei Mate X's website some of the apps look like Apple design and some look like Android design. Wouldn't mine feedback and thoughts.
    According to gsmarena.com Mate X is running on Android 9.0; EMUI 9.1. I don't know what is EMUI 9.1. 
  • Reply 77 of 118
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tzeshan said:
    According to gsmarena.com Mate X is running on Android 9.0; EMUI 9.1. I don't know what is EMUI 9.1. 

It's surely based on Android Pie (9.0)/EMUI 9. My guess it's mostly just what they needed for the larger display mode and the code to sense when it's open and closed so it can transition from poor UI to the other.
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 118
    Folio said:

'Fits in your pocket' is stretching it. Besides, an iPad doesn't have to be in the pocket. People use bags.

This design is sacrificing BOTH larger screen (iPad) and thinner form (iPhone), I don't see anything appealing about it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 118
    I think every Apple fans agree that if Apple make a foldable iPhone it will use a different design not just a copycat. And in a couple years Samsung and Huawei will change their foldable to look exactly like Apple's design. Case in point. Apple removed the 3.5 mm jack in iPhone 7. Apple was ridiculed by Google and the media. Now after two years Google Pixel 3, Samsung Galaxy S10s and Fold, Huawei Mate X all removed the 3.5 mm jack. The media ridiculed Apple in order to give the Android copycats time to implement so Apple will not grab bigger pie. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 118
    tzeshan said:

With this announcement it is important to realize that not only is Trump walking back his allegations that Huawei is a security concern, but most of Europe is now challenging his claims.   In fact, Great Britian's head of intelligence just issued an ultimatum to Trump to "Put up (the evidence) or shut up".
    You're confusing the Trump executive administration with the US intelligence community; agencies which Trump does not like.

Did you ever see the evidence that Putin and the Russians hacked the DNC email and meddled in our election? Nope. But you accept that they did.
    Good point.   Or, it would be if it were applicable.   It is not the U.S. intelligence community who made the allegations of spying against Huawei, it was Trump.   And, not only is the rest of the world starting to question those allegations, but Trump is starting to walk them back.
    Incorrect. Six US intelligence agencies, which debriefed US senators. The same agencies Trump decries for their comments about him. There is no way Trump controls these six agencies and made them fake their conclusions. 

“Don’t use Huawei phones, say heads of FBI, CIA, and NSA”

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/14/17011246/huawei-phones-safe-us-intelligence-chief-fears

US Senators: “Huawei is effectively an arm of the Chinese government”

https://www.cio.com.au/article/633134/huawei-effectively-an-arm-chinese-government-us-senator/

...so if you believed them when they said Russia helped Trump win, I want to know why you choose not to believe them now. Other than confirmation bias, of course. 
    There is single correct reason they would not tell you or the world. Using Huawei equipment will pose great difficulty for US spy agencies to install back doors. 
    And using them will pose great opportunity for China to do the same. I’ll go with the democratic republic over the totalitarian regime, thanks. 
    edited February 2019 tmaywatto_cobra