Apple's iOS 12 installed on 80 percent of compatible devices

Posted:
in iOS edited February 2019
Adoption statistics released by Apple on Monday reveal 80 percent of compatible iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices are now running the company's current generation iOS 12 mobile operating system.

iOS 12 Adoption

The figures, announced in an update to Apple's App Store support webpage, also show iOS 12 as installed on 83 percent of devices released during the last four years. As with past iOS versions, adoption rates of the current iteration operating system have enjoyed a steady upward trajectory since launch in September.

Usage of last 2017's iOS 11 is down to 12 percent, while older operating systems occupy a 5 percent share of devices released in the past four years and 8 percent of all compatible devices.

Apple's statistics were gleaned from App Store visits logged on Feb. 12, 2019.

The latest iOS 12 has seen comparatively rapid uptake over its lifetime. Adoption rates hit 53 percent less than a month after initial release, a number that jumped to 70 percent in December. By comparison, iOS 11 was installed on only 59 percent of devices in December 2017.

Third-party market research firms estimate even faster upgrade rates, with figures from Mixpanel putting iOS 12 adoption at 75 percent in late November.

Most recently, official statistics issued in January pegged adoption rates at 78 percent of devices released over the past four years and 75 percent of all devices.

Introduced alongside iPhone XS and XR in September, iOS 12 delivers a host of new features to customer smartphones and tablets, including powerful photography tools, a system to monitor and manage screen time, Group FaceTime, the ARKit 2 augmented reality platform, new Memoji characters and more. Perhaps helping to explain the year-over-year increase in adoption is Apple's focus on improved OS performance for older devices, a tentpole feature for iOS 12.

Apple continues to build on its latest OS release, with the current iOS 12.2 beta tipping a redesigned Remote interface for Control Center, Siri recommendation integration for Today at Apple sessions, UI tweaks in News and minor bug fixes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Meanwhile. Google STILL hasn't updated their Android Developer Dashboard since Oct 26th, 2018. Even back then Pie hadn't hit enough users to get the minimum 0.1% share.

Curious minds want to know why Google stopped updating this page.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    iPhone is Magical
    baconstangchristopher126AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    Users updated their Apple products . This don’t happen with other operation systems. Why ? Because the new iOS work properly and fine and it’s for real an innovation. So people love to update . People have trust. And iOS keep the promises. 
    christopher126radarthekatchiaAppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    iPhone is Magical
    Agreed!

Only one of the best devices in the history of man!
    netmageradarthekatchiaAppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    In fact I am more contended with IOS 12 just because faster response and works better.
    applesnorangesnetmageradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Users updated their Apple products . This don’t happen with other operation systems. Why ? Because the new iOS work properly and fine and it’s for real an innovation. So people love to update . People have trust. And iOS keep the promises. 
    Well said. 'Trust.' Something I don't have when I think of Google, FaceBook, Twitter and Amazon!

:)
    AppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Good job, Andrew. Enjoy the videos.

Ai has become my one-stop shop for all things Apple. The videos, hints, reviews, news and podcasts are excellent!

It used to be MacWorld magazine back in the day. :(

Best.
    applesnorangesAppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Misleading headline
    That's not the same thing as
    show iOS 12 as installed on 83 percent of devices released during the last four years
    I have older but compatible devices that I don't bother with iOS updates anymore. I've been bitten by performance problems with old-device-on-latest-iOS too many times before.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 22
    That’s an astonishing milestone, even if it did get there by constant nagging. This level of deployment in android would make it such a better environment for developers who 
  • Reply 10 of 22
    jce10 said:
    Misleading headline
    show iOS 12 as installed on 83 percent of devices released during the last four years
    I have older but compatible devices that I don't bother with iOS updates anymore. I've been bitten by performance problems with old-device-on-latest-iOS too many times before.
    1) Yes, the author is well aware that those two facts are not the same thing, which is why the word "also" appears in the text, but you edited that word out for some odd reason. 2) You're wrong about this as well, since a major focus of iOS 12 was to improve performance on older devices, and testing showed conclusively that it succeeded. The iPhone 5S and 6 run substantially faster under iOS 12 than under iOS 11. All compatible devices should be running iOS 12.
    chiaAppleExposedapplesnorangeslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    jce10 said:
    Misleading headline
    1) Yes, the author is well aware that those two facts are not the same thing, which is why the word "also" appears in the text, but you edited that word out for some odd reason. 2) You're wrong about this as well, since a major focus of iOS 12 was to improve performance on older devices, and testing showed conclusively that it succeeded. The iPhone 5S and 6 run substantially faster under iOS 12 than under iOS 11. All compatible devices should be running iOS 12.
    Title is misleading as you never know to what it really relate. Pic with graph says 80% of all not compatible. Even iOS 12 was performance update it is quite horrible on iPhone 5s. Often get unresponsive for several seconds during such intensive operations as typing. I had restore and relaunched iPhone of course. I updated from iOS 10 and not happy about speed. Compatibility and functions are fine but taxed.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I’m not surprised. Features aside, for me it’s more stable. Was on my iPhone 7 Plus when I updated from iOS 11 and smooth as butter on my upgrade device XS Max. Bluetooth in iOS 11 for me had lots of hiccups. Especially in the car. And that’s just one thing. So yep happy with iOS 12,
    edited February 2019 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Meanwhile. Google STILL hasn't updated their Android Developer Dashboard since Oct 26th, 2018. Even back then Pie hadn't hit enough users to get the minimum 0.1% share.

Whataboutism at it's finest. Why would you care? Can't you just be happy that iOS version uptake is very good, and that's the OS you use?

FWIW about 7 weeks or so after the latest Android version (Pie) was released last August over 75% of Google Pixel owners had already updated to it which is pretty darn impressive don't you think?  

Pixels are the only devices that Google themselves can directly offer OS updates to of course. All the others are simply licensees, some of them quite speedy with updates but many others not so much. 
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 14 of 22
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    A nice collection of additions, other than Groip FaceTime which I’ve no use for (nor FaceTime for that matter). 

The camera in my iPhone XS Max is great. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:

Whataboutism at it's finest. Why would you care? Can't you just be happy that iOS version uptake is very good, and that's the OS you use?

FWIW about 7 weeks or so after the latest Android version (Pie) was released last August over 75% of Google Pixel owners had already updated to it which is pretty darn impressive don't you think?  

Pixels are the only devices that Google themselves can directly offer OS updates to of course. All the others are simply licensees, some of them quite speedy with updates but many others not so much. 

Talk about moving the goalposts for the knockoffs!!

Android is a phone manufacturer when comparing to iPhone sales. Android is software when complaining about all the malware it carries (not the manufacturers fault). Android is a single phone when comparing specs/innovation to iPhone. Only Pixel counts when comparing OS updates.

Android is always "evolving". lol
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    gatorguy said:

Android is a phone manufacturer when comparing to iPhone sales. Android is software when complaining about all the malware it carries (not the manufacturers fault). Android is a single phone when comparing specs/innovation to iPhone. Only Pixel counts when comparing OS updates.

Your first mistake: Android is NOT a phone manufacturer.
    Mistake #2: Claiming "move the goalposts" to the wrong person. Adding "whaddabout Android" to the discussion serves no good purpose in the first place does it? Apples to Oranges, yeah they're both fruit. 

Just as Apple the company is both the OS provider and "manufacturer" of iPhones, Google the company is both the OS provider and "manufacturer" of Pixels. Anyone else would be a licensee or AOSP user and dance to their own music.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I don't understand why either I or Apple would care how many or how quickly people update to the latest OS. If lots of people chose not to update their devices and instead stayed with an older OS, how would that be bad? What's the downside?

I assume there must be some reason this metric is tracked, I just don't get what it might be.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    I don't understand why either I or Apple would care how many or how quickly people update to the latest OS. If lots of people chose not to update their devices and instead stayed with an older OS, how would that be bad? What's the downside?

I assume there must be some reason this metric is tracked, I just don't get what it might be.
    There are a couple of reasons.

First, it allows simplification for developers. If I have to write an app that works on 10 different versions of the operating system, then I'm going to either not use newer features or I'm going to have to write lots of cludges for handling the older operating systems. This means lots of bugs as the code gets complicated trying to handle everything, and bad reviews because some users can access advertised features. There are also bugs on some versions of operating systems, but not others. That means even without new features, I'll have to do lots more testing and still end up with more bugs. Android has mechanisms for dealing with this (basically, the developers can use some new features by including a support pack produced by Google in their code), but this doesn't work as well, and there are still issues that make it more costly and/or more buggy. By keeping everyone up to date, Apple is hoping for better apps that use the new features that come out every year, which in turn encourages users to buy their devices.

A second possible reason is expense for Apple. Supporting older versions of operating systems costs money because they need to continue to fix security holes, and the longer an operating system is around, the more security holes are found. I doubt this is as big a consideration as the first reason.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Your first mistake: Android is NOT a phone manufacturer.
    Mistake #2: Claiming "move the goalposts" to the wrong person. Adding "whaddabout Android" to the discussion serves no good purpose in the first place does it? Apples to Oranges, yeah they're both fruit. 

Just as Apple the company is both the OS provider and "manufacturer" of iPhones, Google the company is both the OS provider and "manufacturer" of Pixels. Anyone else would be a licensee or AOSP user and dance to their own music.

Um no, I'm explaining the logic of Apple haters. They compare all iWannabes to iPhone when it comes to sales. When you bring up the software problem they morph android again and say "well that's not [insert one of hundreds of manufacturers here]s fault. That's androids fault."

Whaddabout android is fun because it pisses you off with truth.

No one (even those who claim android is better) gives a turd about Pixel, adding to the irony.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22

It speeds up the future. So something Apple may want wide adoption of (like Siri/AR) has a wider install base and encourages developers.
    watto_cobra