Here are the vehicles and receivers with Apple CarPlay announced in 2018 & 2019

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    I test drove a 2019 Crosstrek with CP over the weekend. Wired only. I'm glad it's there, but it seemed a little more jumbo than expected, even on an 8" display. (Disappointed to see the car manufacturers are still using crappy touchscreens, too)
  • Reply 62 of 111
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I test drove a 2019 Crosstrek with CP over the weekend. Wired only. I'm glad it's there, but it seemed a little more jumbo than expected, even on an 8" display. (Disappointed to see the car manufacturers are still using crappy touchscreens, too)
    I've seen plenty of inductive touchscreens in modern vehicles. I think there are also IPS panels available now, too.

• Reply 63 of 111
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I would insist car manufacturers offer at least 8" infotainment touch screen because GPS and other information is more visible,convenient on 8" display while driving the car,
    Everyone knows the advantage of CarPlay or Android auto is to connect/extend your phone's functionalities to car's infotainment system which provides safety,security and convenience for a driver.
  • Reply 64 of 111
    Soli said:
    I've seen plenty of inductive touchscreens in modern vehicles. I think there are also IPS panels available now, too.

Guess I need to up my budget to the $68,000 range*... On the Crosstrek using pinch-to-zoom on Maps was still janky.

*Tho that model in the video still only comes with USB-B and Mini-USB... No USB-C!? Outrageous, right!?
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 65 of 111
    Soli said:
    AI, please, please start including whether it's wired or wireless when you mention CarPlay coming to a new vehicle.
    If we don't mention it, you can assume that it's wired or we haven't heard news yet.
    Eh, mentioning it by name raises the consumer awareness and pressure, IMO.
  • Reply 66 of 111
    Soli said:

Guess I need to up my budget to the $68,000 range*... On the Crosstrek using pinch-to-zoom on Maps was still janky.

*Tho that model in the video still only comes with USB-B and Mini-USB... No USB-C!? Outrageous, right!?
    There is USB-C and USB-A in the front and back seats.

The GMC Canyon Denali, their smallest pickup with a luxury package, only has USB-A and no AC inverter.

I'm now looking at the Honda Ridgeline because of the "trunk" space, built-in inverter, and some other features, like better gas mileage and a more car-like ride. I want a pickup truck, but I want it to feel like a car as much as possible. Apparently I'm odd man out with that desire...

• Reply 67 of 111
    Eh, there’s a growing  collection of threads in the Apple Support community with complaints of simple music playback getting skips via cable-connected CarPlay, and its across multiple brands of vehicles. 
  • Reply 68 of 111
    Is Bluetooth 5 makes better Wireless CarPlay and overall connectivity ? What we want is seamless, error free/issues Phone-to-Car connectivity and suppose to be standard feature like wheels on car.
  • Reply 69 of 111
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Are the new Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX & AVH-W8400NEX the only units from any manufacturer that have both wireless CarPlay and a CD player ?
    What's a CD?  ;)
  • Reply 70 of 111
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

There is USB-C and USB-A in the front and back seats.
    I see. The host was calling it “micro USB” 
  • Reply 71 of 111
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Not sure why it's not in the list but the 2019 Acura RDX has CarPlay too.
  • Reply 72 of 111
    docno42 said:
    Not sure why it's not in the list but the 2019 Acura RDX has CarPlay too.
    They don’t cover every vehicle here. I’m not sure what  there methodology is.

Apple’s page as the RDX listed, but even they have plenty of manufacturers showing only through 2018 when the 2019 choices are likely already for sale and if not surely solidified.

• https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/
  • Reply 73 of 111
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Is it just me or does CarPlay absolutely blow?? I just bought a new VW and CarPlay is always freezing and crashing. Especially when using the podcast app. Pandora always freezes, I have to unlock my iPhone while driving to use CarPlay even though I have my settings on my phone to “allow when locked” the now playing screen shows old history of previously played music on different apps. The receiver will restart in the middle of driving (especially nice when using Waze it maps for directions). Horrible horrible horrible. Is this a VW defect or Apple? Who should  I air my grievances?

yes I am using a brand new Apple brand lightning cable, iPhone 7 Plus, latest iOS 
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 74 of 111
    tyler82 said:
    Is it just me or does CarPlay absolutely blow?? I just bought a new VW and CarPlay is always freezing and crashing. Especially when using the podcast app. Pandora always freezes, I have to unlock my iPhone while driving to use CarPlay even though I have my settings on my phone to “allow when locked” the now playing screen shows old history of previously played music on different apps. The receiver will restart in the middle of driving (especially nice when using Waze it maps for directions). Horrible horrible horrible. Is this a VW defect or Apple? Who should  I air my grievances?

yes I am using a brand new Apple brand lightning cable, iPhone 7 Plus, latest iOS 
    I've never had the issues you're talking about and I'm using an "Apple brand lightning cable, iPhone 7 Plus, latest iOS," too.

The fact that your receiver is restarting in the middle of driving and not your iPhone is key. Remember that CarPlay isn't in the infotainment system, but being pushed through the iPhone. You can even see this when you do a screenshot of your iPhone with CarPlay enabled to see a dual screenshot.

I'd check out VW boards for fixes or workarounds. Perhaps your car needs a SW update. If not, you can always try a backup and reinstall of iOS but that won't fix your infotainment system from rebooting periodically.
  • Reply 75 of 111
    Don't make incorrect statement. CarPlay, Android Auto, and Amazon Alexa will be standard features on Toyota's 2020 Corolla, shipping to the U.S. in March. I didn't see Android auto listed as feature on 2020 Corolla. I assume the first car that might get both CarPlay and Android auto will be 2020 Camry.

edited February 2019
  • Reply 76 of 111
    I really want one, but have resisted because I’m afraid that the installation will f-up the premium sound system that came with my top-of-the-line 2015 Subaru Forester. Plus, each car has different switching gear (steering wheel mounted controls, back-up camera on separate screen or main screen, etc.) and I’m afraid these units are one size fits all and not flexible enough to accommodate all that. Plus, car stereo installers are typically something less than artisans. 
  • Reply 77 of 111
    Is BMW going ahead and charging $300/year for CarPlay in it's models?

BMW needs to smarten. Their base audio in new models dropped quality and even number of speakers in car. They charge for CarPlay. They do not have Android Car. You go to Jeep dealrship and you get both CarPlay and Android Car for free and that does not require special options and quality of sound will be the same as BMW base audio now. I was shocked when we leased new model of BMW after previous. They focus more on fancy expensive suspension that still is not good for offroad, but they skimp on what people would use most frequently during regular travel on highway. Hard to beleive it turned this way.
  • Reply 78 of 111
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    I’m ‘using’ carplay a half year now on my Peugeot 2008 (not on the list by the way, but I know US drivers miss out the best cars in the world).
    Unfortunately carplay is more of a gimmick than someting functional, even the icons are big and rendered in a coarse way (very unlike anyting Apple).
    The super paternalistic mode (couldn’t find a way to turn that off) is totally unworkable. I couldnt even read my whatsapp messages, instead boring cumbersome Siri took over.
    Modern cars have convenience features like stop (and park) but still be on so you have airco and all other electric control without the engine turned on. Super handy when you have to wait (for someone), but carplay still thinks your driving, so it is in total paternalistic mode.
    Peugeot’s own media and navigation system on the other hand is really excellent, voice commands are completely workable and even street names are understood and spoken correctly (oh joy!) (note that Siri/Apple navigator is completely unable to do this), and this is done by the onboard computer!!!! - please Apple dump your servers, all of them - not by the terrible unreliable iCloud and much much better.
    Also navigation rendering is very nice and precise and uses super correct Here maps, which in combination with tomtom traffic info is really miraculous.
    As a result, I never use carplay, and use bluetooth music/call etc. forwarding to Peugeot’s onboard computer.
  • Reply 79 of 111
    knowitall said:
    I’m ‘using’ carplay a half year now on my Peugeot 2008 (not on the list by the way, but I know US drivers miss out the best cars in the world).
    Unfortunately carplay is more of a gimmick than someting functional, even the icons are big and rendered in a coarse way (very unlike anyting Apple).
    The super paternalistic mode (couldn’t find a way to turn that off) is totally unworkable. I couldnt even read my whatsapp messages, instead boring cumbersome Siri took over...
    I'm going to guess that your "paternalistic" problem is a problem with Peugeot's implementation... since CarPlay in my Ford is fully functional when my vehicle is stopped (doesn't even have to be in Park).
    I don't really WANT you to be able to stare at the screen to read WhatsApp... I want you paying attention to the road.
    The buttons are "big" to make them easier to use in a moving vehicle... easy to find without having to divert too much attention from the road.
    Solimacseeker
  • Reply 80 of 111
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    My 2016 VW Golf S had CarPlay and Android Auto standard way back then and it amazes me that some makers are charging extra on already overpriced machines years later. The vultures at BMW will be treating it like a subscription, I guess they have been taking lessons from AT&T, Verizon and Comcast on screwing the customer out of every red cent.