USB 3.0 & USB 3.1 merger into USB 3.2 branding by overseers further confusing USB-C

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Interesting. Can't wait for USB 3.3.
    wonkothesanewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    hexclock said:
    Reminds me why Apple has wisdoms that much of the industry lacks. They would never do this to their customers. 

Who remembers the Apple Desktop Bus tech? It's an interesting read:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Desktop_Bus

... and reminds me that Apple didn't invent it entirely from scratch, as it would appear at first glance, but instead incorporates existing technologies into the final solution. Sound familiar?

Sure do remember it. The best thing about ADB was allowing a power button on the keyboard. To this day I wish modern desktop Macs could start up this way. 
    IIRC the 1998 iMac had a power button on the keyboard and that used USB. 
    zeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 38
     (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ 
  • Reply 24 of 38
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    maccrazy said:
    hexclock said:
    Reminds me why Apple has wisdoms that much of the industry lacks. They would never do this to their customers. 

... and reminds me that Apple didn't invent it entirely from scratch, as it would appear at first glance, but instead incorporates existing technologies into the final solution. Sound familiar?

Sure do remember it. The best thing about ADB was allowing a power button on the keyboard. To this day I wish modern desktop Macs could start up this way. 
    IIRC the 1998 iMac had a power button on the keyboard and that used USB. 
    Perhaps it did; I skipped from an 81/110 Radius clone to a G4, which did not. I have never owned an iMac, only towers. Getting nostalgic looking at old pictures of those things though. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    larz2112 said:
    This is so ridiculous. I remember when the original USB cable/interface was first introduced. The big promise was that it would end all the confusion and frustration involved with having to manage so many different types of cables and connections. Yeah, umm, how's that working out for ya?
    Well, USB was introduced in 1996. Compared to previous technology it was a huge leap forward. Given the changes in technology and speeds, USB has been pretty remarkable.

The biggest issue not the USB 3 naming describe here but the USB C cluster. A USB C cable can be 5, 10 or 20 Gbps, or it can be a thunderbolt cable. Or it can be suitable for power. Or not. 

randominternetpersonBittySonjeffythequickllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Interesting. Can't wait for USB 3.3.
    That would be USB 3.2 gen2x2v2
    fastasleep
  • Reply 27 of 38
    The only way it could get any more stupid is to call it USB XS and USB XR.
    AppleExposedBittySon
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Just call it - Pleasure Port - then everyone will want it. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 38
    cpsro said:
    Horsepucky. USB 3.2 Gen 2 isn't the 2nd generation of USB 3.2, and USB 3.2 Gen 1 is the first generation of USB 3.2 in name only.

Call them simply:  USB 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3

And by the way, "10Gbps" doesn't denote gen2 is faster than gen1 unless gen1 SuperSpeed USB is necessarily attached to the moniker "5Gbps". Oh, except, the manufacturers merely intend to confuse consumers.

You're making it way too simple. How will that work?

/s

muthuk_vanalingamcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    In related news, the years 2018, 2019, and 2020 are being renamed to reflect more clearly the bidirectionality of time. 

2018 will now be known as 2019 v1. 

2019 will now be known as 2018 v2. 

2020 will now be known as 2018 v2+1. 
    randominternetpersoncaladanianAppleExposedjeffythequickravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 38

They can keep doing this forever.
    jeffythequickllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 38
    thurstanhthurstanh Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It took them 20 years to fix a design that was difficult to orient when plugging in.

They really look to require a more cross disciplinary team. I’m sure the engineering is amazing, but it also needs to be easy to use and that’s where they struggle.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 38
    I'm hoping they come up with a new connector that is circular, has two keys that are imperceptible to the human eye, yet can't be inserted if they are not aligned within .01°.  This foolishness with the USB-C connector goes against all that USB has stood for over the last 20 years:
      A connector that, by all odds, you should get wrong 50% of the time, but manage to get wrong 98.2%.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38

Like SCSI...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 38
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Standardize on Thunderbolt 3 with USB Type-C and done with.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 38
    I think USB-IF should do what HDMI did: use dotted version notation (USB 3.1.3.6). Then you sow fine-grained version confusion without tacking on extra monikers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 38
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    I think USB-IF should do what HDMI did: use dotted version notation (USB 3.1.3.6). Then you sow fine-grained version confusion without tacking on extra monikers.
    Excellent suggestion.

Infact we can improve it further by combining both. So USB 3.1.3.6 Highspeed would be faster than USB 3.2.4.5 Superspeed but would be slower than USB3.2.9.1 Highspeed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 38
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Quite simply, no real consideration to the consumer who will actually be buying and using devices with these different versions.