Apple announces new Girls Who Code partnership to mark International Women's Day

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is planning a marketing push in recognition of International Women's Day on March 8, including a new partnership with Girls Who Code.

iPad Swift programming

The company is supplying the Everyone Can Code curriculum to Girls Who Code, aiming to teach Swift to some 90,000 girls across the U.S. Swift training will be provided to club leaders.

"Women have earned the opportunity to have our ideas shape the future," said Lisa Jackson, Apple's VP of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives in a preassembled statement. "We're excited to support Girls Who Code as they empower girls to be the developers and tech innovators of tomorrow."

At "select" Apple stores, people will be able to attend over 60 Today at Apple sessions in a "Made by Women" series. These will feature artists, musicians, photographers, developers, scientists, and others. A given example is an App Lab at Apple Causeway Bay in Hong Kong, where Hillary Yip -- a 14-year-old CEO -- will talk about building and pitching social platforms.

Stateside, Emily Grasile of the Chicago Field Museum and The Brain Scoop on YouTube will be presenting a Video Lab at Apple Michigan Avenue. Participants will be taught how to incorporate museum specimens into landscapes using Procreate on an iPad Pro.

Emily Grasile.
Emily Grasile.

Other cities getting Made by Women sessions will be Singapore, Kyoto, London, Milan, Paris, Dubai, San Francisco, New York, and Los Angeles.

During March the App Store will promote women and their apps, including games featuring the Marvel heroine Captain Marvel. Apple has long-running corporate ties with Marvel's parent company, Disney, and a Captain Marvel movie is in fact premiering March 8.

Other Women's Day marketing efforts will involve Apple Music playlists, a 24-hour Beats 1 marathon, and a special Apple Watch Activity award.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I wonder what would happen if boys did the same. Anybody sees problem with that?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    I wonder what would happen if boys did the same. Anybody sees problem with that?
    The point of these efforts is that women are often underrepresented in programming and other fields.
    tyler82StrangeDaysanomedysamoriaronn
  • Reply 3 of 21
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Such thin, thin, thin skin.
    StrangeDaysanomedysamoriaronncrowley
  • Reply 4 of 21
    The point of these efforts is that women are often underrepresented in programming and other fields.
    They’re “underrepresented” because they generally don’t care for programming. Coding isn’t for everyone. Despite this push, I’ll bet the long-term results will end up being minimal. And I even agree that women are as capable as men when it comes to the brainpower and focus needed for the profession.
    redraider11AppleExposedallmypeople
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Aaaand post #1, the cluelessness begins. Why is it so hard for white males to understand that they are the default power base (whether you personally are or not), with the most economic advantage (again, regardless of whether you feel you are personally or not), and that its a good thing to try and get other demographics to the same level of participation? Women in the US were banned from voting (by men) in the last century until 1920! And in the rest of the Americas until the 1950s and '60s. Men have centuries of lead-time advantage over women in wealth collection & generation, and education and economic participation. In 1956, future Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg was one of only 9 women at Hardvard Law, and got crap for it. Tech is another area where women were late in the workforce. It's going to take a while for women to catch up, so encouragement is a good thing.

Only white male snowflakes get triggered by this.
    edited February 2019 anomedysamoriaronn
  • Reply 6 of 21
    They’re “underrepresented” because they generally don’t care for programming. 
    Oh look, a male making the broad, sweeping generalization that a woman's DNA pre-disposes her to not care for programmer. LOL you are absolutely out of touch with reality. Are they still play Leave It To Beaver re-runs inside your head?

Correlation does not imply causation. Clearly you aren't a science guy... You're making up your own conclusions (women don't care for programming) based on factual observation (fewer women in programming), without actually proving your conclusion. But again, correlation does not imply causation.
    edited February 2019 anomedysamoriaronn
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Aaaand post #1, the cluelessness begins. Why is it so hard for white males to understand that they are the default power base (whether you personally are or not), with the most economic advantage (again, regardless of whether you feel you are personally or not), and that its a good thing to try and get other demographics to the same level of participation? Women in the US were banned from voting (by men) in the last century until 1920! And in the rest of the America's until the 1950s and '60s. Men have a centuries of lead-time advantage over women in wealth collection, generation, and participation. In 1956, future Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg was one of only 9 women at Hardvard Law, and got crap for it. Tech is another area where women were late in the workforce. It's going to take a while for women to catch up, so encouragement is a good thing.

Surely some of the most vapid white-knighting I’ve ever seen on AI. Good one.
    AppleExposedallmypeople
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Does anyone else find it amusing that the people who most use "snowflake" as a derogatory term for people who take positions they don't like are also the ones most likely to be triggered by tiny little things?
    SpamSandwichanomeronn
  • Reply 9 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Boys Can Code would be cool too!

Oh no, that would be sexist.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Aaaand post #1, the cluelessness begins. Why is it so hard for white males to understand that they are the default power base (whether you personally are or not), with the most economic advantage (again, regardless of whether you feel you are personally or not), and that its a good thing to try and get other demographics to the same level of participation? Women in the US were banned from voting (by men) in the last century until 1920! And in the rest of the America's until the 1950s and '60s. Men have a centuries of lead-time advantage over women in wealth collection, generation, and participation. In 1956, future Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg was one of only 9 women at Hardvard Law, and got crap for it. Tech is another area where women were late in the workforce. It's going to take a while for women to catch up, so encouragement is a good thing.

Surely some of the most vapid white-knighting I’ve ever seen on AI. Good one.

Oh you've seen nothing. Go back to the di** pic article and white knights swear females are these innocent darlings who would never wear yoga pants in public or never apply at a strip club.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Does anyone else find it amusing that the people who most use "snowflake" as a derogatory term for people who take positions they don't like are also the ones most likely to be triggered by tiny little things?

Projection - it ain't just a river in Egypt.

Seriously, people often tend to ascribe others' motives to the same things that motivate them. That's why the people who whine about "snowflakes" and things like that tend to be the ones who get most offended when you call them out on their bullshit.

ronnbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Aaaand post #1, the cluelessness begins. Why is it so hard for white males to understand that they are the default power base (whether you personally are or not), with the most economic advantage (again, regardless of whether you feel you are personally or not), and that its a good thing to try and get other demographics to the same level of participation? Women in the US were banned from voting (by men) in the last century until 1920! And in the rest of the Americas until the 1950s and '60s. Men have centuries of lead-time advantage over women in wealth collection & generation, and education and economic participation. In 1956, future Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg was one of only 9 women at Hardvard Law, and got crap for it. Tech is another area where women were late in the workforce. It's going to take a while for women to catch up, so encouragement is a good thing.

Annnnnnd, the 4th word at the beginning of your paragraph pretty much sums up what follows.

In western society, and as societies become more fair for women, they choose different career paths than men. In 2nd & 3rd world countries this evaporates because women just go into the highest paying fields. Women in the west have the *choice* and *choose* to go into the fields they want.  

I could go on but I'll just leave this, what my wife sent me years ago, from the Factual Feminist: 

Progressivism is an ideology. When you just regurgitate talking points, it reads a bit silly.

I remember her but she's far from a feminist. Not sure why she keeps calling herself one.

Still waiting for feminists and white knights to protest more women in the public wastewater industry(sewers), garbage collection, construction and mining.

It's the feminists shout for equality that has a judge considering females join the draft. A bitter taste of equality.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/24/military-draft-judge-rules-male-only-registration-unconstitutional/2968872002/

• Reply 13 of 21
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This thread is exactly what I expected: Myths about the differences between men and women (it’s entirely cultural, and StrangeDays is correct), and the anti-social-justice rage directed at anyone trying to counter the myths (yes, StrangeDays presented counter comments in an aggressive way, but it really gets tiresome when constantly confronted by the same “women are a different species” kind of thinking and myth-promoting day in and day out among tech boys on forums like this).

Predictable, but thanks for playing, folks. 
  • Reply 14 of 21
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    What a great initiative. I hope it gets all the support it needs to do well.
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 21
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    They need people to react so they can play victim and pull out the both sides card.
    ronnSpamSandwichbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 16 of 21
    acejax805acejax805 Posts: 109member
    Offering jobs, scholarships, or any advantage in the workplace based on sex, race, gender, national origin, etc. is discrimination. Oops, I'll be quiet, I'm not being politically correct.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 17 of 21
    RhythmagicRhythmagic Posts: 63unconfirmed, member
    👏👏👏👏👏
  • Reply 18 of 21
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    dysamoria said:
    This thread is exactly what I expected: Myths about the differences between men and women (it’s entirely cultural, and StrangeDays is correct),

lmao. Yes, it's entirely cultural if you ignore the scientific evidence and data.
    So you program with your penis? I use my hands usually. Last I checked, women have hands, too. What's more, they have brains, believe it or not.
    ronn
  • Reply 19 of 21
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    dysamoria said:
    Myths about the differences between men and women (it’s entirely cultural, and StrangeDays is correct), 
    Going a bit far there.  Genitalia are not cultural.
    ronn
  • Reply 20 of 21
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    acejax805 said:
    Offering jobs, scholarships, or any advantage in the workplace based on sex, race, gender, national origin, etc. is discrimination. Oops, I'll be quiet, I'm not being politically correct.
    Discrimination is not always bad, and you don't seem to understand what political correctness is.
    ronn