Two new iPads get certification in India ahead of March 25 press event

Posted:
in iPad
Two unknown iPad models have gained certification from the Bureau of Indian Standards, backing reports of an imminent iPad refresh.

iPad mini 4

The models are listed as "A2124" and "A2133," and Apple-branded but manufactured by China's Hongfujin Precision Electronics, according to BIS data seen by MySmartPrice. The same site discovered seven models -- A2123, A2124, A2133, A2152, A2153, A2154, and A2126 -- listed with the Eurasian Economic Commission in January.

It's not clear at this stage what the BIS models might be, but Apple is forecast to launch not just a new "budget" iPad, sized at 10.2 inches, but possibly a fifth-generation iPad mini. The Mini 4 remains on sale, but originally launched in 2015, making it of little value to most people.

A "Mini 5" is typically expected to retain a 7.9-inch display and most other elements of the older design, but will presumably gain processor and storage upgrades, and possibly Apple Pencil and/or Smart Keyboard support. Even 2018's $329 iPad supports the first-generation Pencil.

Apple is expected to hold a press event on March 25. While the focus should be on new video and Apple News subscription services, the company could use it as an opportunity to put out new iPads, as it has in other spring events.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Funny how the 9.7” iPad has now become the “budget” iPad. Perhaps we should also start referring to the iPhone XR as the “budget” iPhone...
    MisterKit
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Pencil support for the new ipad mini would be great. But not the first gen pencil. That would be going backwards. The 2nd gen Apple pencil is what the first gen should have been. I can’t see Apple continuing to have two apple pencils for much longer. The ipad mini hasnt been updated in nearly 4 years. It would be a bad sign if Apple goes backwards with this update. They dont need a ho hum update. They need to make a statement that the mini is back and better than ever. At least i hope they do.
    edited February 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Fun fact that hardly gets reported. 
    In India iPad has 36-38% of the tablet market. Source: gs.statcounter.com
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    hentaiboy said:
    Funny how the 9.7” iPad has now become the “budget” iPad. Perhaps we should also start referring to the iPhone XR as the “budget” iPhone...
    I’ve always referred to them as the section 8 iPhone 
    harry wild
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I hoping for a decent update of the Mini aka 5!  Please do not make it a “budget” version with limited RAM, 2-3 year old components inside since the Mini 4 when was released already had 3 year old components from the Mini 3!  Give it the Pencil 2 too!