Cook promises shareholders Apple is 'planting seeds' and 'rolling the dice' on future prod...

Posted:
in AAPL Investors
Trying to rally people at Apple's annual shareholders meeting, CEO Tim Cook said that he company is "planting seeds" and "rolling the dice" on future products that will "blow you away."

The Magic Leap One AR headset.
The Magic Leap One AR headset.

Cook claimed he's "never been more optimistic" about where Apple is going, according to Bloomberg. The company saw a rough December quarter in which iPhone sales fell 15 percent year-over-year, and most analysts don't expect them to resume growth until this fall's models ship.

The executive didn't elaborate on what future products he meant, but Apple is known to be working on an augmented reality headset and self-driving car technology. Both are potential gambles, given intense competition in the autonomous car space, and the absence of any affordable, mainstream AR headsets. Products like the Magic Leap One and Microsoft's HoloLens have so far targeted niche audiences like businesses.

Apple has meanwhile been criticized as failing to innovate the same way it did under co-founder Steve Jobs. The success of the Apple Watch has been offset by lackluster HomePod numbers, and even the Watch is limited by iPhone ownership.

During today's meeting Cook separately addressed a defeated shareholder measure calling for "ideological diversity" in the board of directors. Apple is a famously liberal-leaning company, if mostly on social topics, not economic ones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Let’s just get those Mac Pros, MacBook Pros and iMacs taken care of first. The “mind blowing” is speculative stuff like those idiotic folding phones, with no proven market.
    entropysmacplusplusasdasdneo-techrainmakerouraganmuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacapplericcgWerks
  • Reply 2 of 92
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,722member
    even the Watch is limited by iPhone ownership“. I understand. Only 728 million* to sell. What a pity ;) 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/755625/iphones-in-use-in-us-china-and-rest-of-the-world/
    tmaycornchipracerhomie3toysandmeleavingthebiggmacplusplusmejsricJWSCStrangeDaysneo-tech
  • Reply 3 of 92
    Well, I hope all the effort they're putting into AR comes to fruition in a worthwhile product. For all the talk about how great it is the experience on iPhone/iPad so far is pretty lackluster. Sure, the Measure app is cool and works fairly well, but I hope there's more to AR than a virtual measuring tape. 

I've been saying this since ARKit rolled out in iOS 11, most of what is available or has been teased during keynotes is kinda useless or something that could just be done in 3D with no AR required (like the really cool but also kinda silly model of Apple Park at the visitor's center. It's a good demonstration of the tech but why can't I just download an app at home and get a virtual tour in 3D the same way? I don't see the reason I have to walk around a physical model to see an overlay on my phone).

Also, I've noticed that all the comments of "wait for developers to figure this out" have pretty much disappeared. Which I find a little funny as, way back in 2017, when I made similar comments I was told "not to crap on it" before we saw what developers will do. It's coming up on two years...
    minicoffeeasdasdmuthuk_vanalingamcgWerks
  • Reply 4 of 92
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    „even the Watch is limited by iPhone ownership“. I understand. Only 728 million* to sell. What a pity ;) 

*https://www.statista.com/statistics/755625/iphones-in-use-in-us-china-and-rest-of-the-world/

Apple reported 900 million in use but I guess some people could own 2?
    racerhomie3toysandmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 92
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,463member
    Cook's leadership in new innovative products is questionable. His relationship with Jobs worked because Jobs was the visionary and Cook did the logistics.
    I have little faith in his leadership of a corporate vision, especially after the hype he built behind the "Hello Again" keynote only to introduce a silly Touch Bar keyboard.

Expectations are low...
    entropysSpamSandwichtoysandmeravnorodomasdasddesignrurahara
  • Reply 6 of 92
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    So far Tim has done good job. He will do better. Long as Apple has Steve's DNA still embedded, all good.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrabakedbananas
  • Reply 7 of 92
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Great Tim, where is my next iMac?
    edited March 2019 rainmakermuthuk_vanalingamsteveau
  • Reply 8 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    entropys said:
    I have also been waiting for one.
    toysandmerainmakermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 92
    Cook's leadership in new innovative products is questionable. His relationship with Jobs worked because Jobs was the visionary and Cook did the logistics.
    I have little faith in his leadership of a corporate vision, especially after the hype he built behind the "Hello Again" keynote only to introduce a silly Touch Bar keyboard.

Expectations are low...
    The trouble with innovations is they don’t always work. The Cube and the Touch Bar are examples of that.  Innovation requires risk.
    There is no question Apple has done well under Cook’s leadership. Its margins are healthy and the supply chain no doubt is impressive.  But I suspect you are right that he isn’t the vision man that Jobs was. Iterations keeping product up to date aren’t happening I suspect because it complicates the supply chain and raises costs. We don’t know what ideas haven’t happened because margin protection was uncertain.

Who could be? Forstall had elements of the perfectionist that Jobs was, and maybe a bit of the vision too, so from the rest of the executive’s perspective he was a goner once Jobs had passed away.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 92
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,463member
    entropys said:
    I am speculating that Apple is holding back on major redesigns for the ARM Macs. Here's for hoping Jony Ive still got it.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 92
    Investors care about their dividends - not about innovation. That is how Microsoft operates with its coninuous less than controlled changes to interfaces and products in order to impress market with "change" and generate revenue. Did it pay off? They would care about innovation if there was no dividends but share value grrowth only and that is how Jobs understood this.
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 12 of 92
    Phobos7Phobos7 Posts: 63member
    Thank you for your optimism in the future of this world renowned company. Lately I have found that skepticism is best left to those that have more experience. Bravo Tim Cook.
    ouragansacto joewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 92
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Expectations are low...

Apple released 2 of the biggest products in tech history in the past few years. One of them being Apples 2nd biggest product ever.

Wow. The standards for Apple are ridiculous!!
    flyingdpmac_dogStrangeDaysdelreyjonesrandominternetpersonwatto_cobrabakedbananas
  • Reply 14 of 92
    Now playing on Apple Music “I’m More Optimistic Today Than Yesterday (But Not As Much As Tomorrow)” by Tim Cook featuring Spiral Starecase
    muthuk_vanalingamcgWerks
  • Reply 15 of 92
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    personally I wouldn't have used the phrase "rolling the dice", but then again I don't run Apple.
    neil andersonouragancgWerks
  • Reply 16 of 92
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    APPLE IS DOOMED
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 17 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    entropys said:

Expectations are low...
    The trouble with innovations is they don’t always work. The Cube and the Touch Bar are examples of that.  Innovation requires risk.
    There is no question Apple has done well under Cook’s leadership. Its margins are healthy and the supply chain no doubt is impressive.  But I suspect you are right that he isn’t the vision man that Jobs was. Iterations keeping product up to date aren’t happening I suspect because it complicates the supply chain and raises costs. We don’t know what ideas haven’t happened because margin protection was uncertain.

Who could be? Forstall had elements of the perfectionist that Jobs was, and maybe a bit of the vision too, so from the rest of the executive’s perspective he was a goner once Jobs had passed away.
    There’s a story that Jobs was unhappy with the prototype iPod’s size and when an engineer said there was no more room he dropped it into a bowl of water, saw some bubbles, and said “there’s your room”. Cook doesn’t do that. 

Of course when he was too unreasonable they managed to change his mind. 

Not that he was always right even when they shipped something. But he has that unreasonable trait which expected the impossible - and in retrospect iPhone 1 was impossible. 

Theres some hope for Apple though - the Cook era produced the AirPods, which are perfect. 
    cgWerksrandominternetpersonwatto_cobrabakedbananas
  • Reply 18 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Investors care about their dividends - not about innovation. That is how Microsoft operates with its coninuous less than controlled changes to interfaces and products in order to impress market with "change" and generate revenue. Did it pay off? They would care about innovation if there was no dividends but share value grrowth only and that is how Jobs understood this.
    MS is now bigger than Apple in share capitalisation. But screw investors, they are loyal to their bottom line and if Apple flounders they will desert the ship.  It’s often the investors on here who support the higher prices, customers have a different metric. 
  • Reply 19 of 92

Exciting new products in the pipeline is well and good, but how about just keep existing products up to date? ZDnet had one of those annoying slideshows at the moment of Apple do not buys which explains the current state, unfortunately.
    caladanian
  • Reply 20 of 92
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    „even the Watch is limited by iPhone ownership“. I understand. Only 728 million* to sell. What a pity ;) 

*https://www.statista.com/statistics/755625/iphones-in-use-in-us-china-and-rest-of-the-world/
    I know.  But still, expanding beyond iPhone would dramatically expand sales.  You want growth?  It’s there for the taking.
    bigpics