Customers' 'Dear Tim' emails have big impact within Apple

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 36
    lkrupp said:
    I believe the Apple Watch & Apples similar health initiatives will help America & the whole world in general. Thats why I utterly hate that countries like India, Brazil, Pakistan, Bangladesh,Argentina & european countries put up tariffs as high as 50% on Apple products.
    I think the time is coming when companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google are going to have to decide whether they are American companies or not. There’s an article out there  now about a bunch of Microsoft employees around the world demanding the company end its contract with the U.S. Department of Defense. They say they don’t want to work on weapons for the U.S. military. It has to do with Microsoft’s HoloLens product being adapted for military use. So is Microsoft an American company or not? And if they don’t see themselves as American companies then why should they be protected by America’s government and laws? What if Microsoft had entered into a similar contract with Russia or China’s military? I despise globalization and the one world government some are clamoring for. 
    Who is, specifically? Because I’m pretty sure that’s a crankpot conspiracy theory.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Dear Tim,

    Can you tell me which Apps in the Apple App Store are sending my data to FaceBook?

    Thx.


    P.S. I've never had a FaceBook account.

    P.S.S. I really don't want this guy to know when I'm ovulating?





    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 36
    fred1 said:
    I believe the Apple Watch & Apples similar health initiatives will help America & the whole world in general. Thats why I utterly hate that countries like India, Brazil, Pakistan, Bangladesh,Argentina & european countries put up tariffs as high as 50% on Apple products.
    Tariffs on Apple products by European countries? Then why is it cheaper for me to buy them in my European country than in the US if I declare them as a business expense and get the VAT back. Many people don’t understand  that in Europe, the sales tax is included in the price and can be as much as 24%.  
    True. It’s 23% here in Ireland. We don’t even think about it, to be honest. It’s just ‘baked’ into the price. 

    😎🇮🇪☘️ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    chasm said:
    I've noticed over the years that I've (very occasionally) written to Steve and Tim that if your letter is respectful and to the point, there's a good chance you'll get a reply ... even if you're offering [constructive] criticism rather than simply praise. As the article notes, a letter passes over several eyes before it actually gets passed on to Tim or a person in a position to do something about whatever you're writing about, so consider your words, tone, and point carefully if you actually want to be paid attention to. Be polite, be concise, be firm, be persuasive. It works.
    Agreed. Only wrote an email to Tim one time. Appel Maps suggestions I had submitted were being ignored/delayed/forgotten (who knows which). The next day I got an email from the Maps team and after that every submission was dealt with in a matter of days. I think I sent in over 100 corrections, updates etc. that Summer. ‘Well done!’ to whoever responded so promptly. Places of interest in Apple Maps in my hometown improved significantly over those few months!

    😎🇮🇪☘️ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Dear Tim,

    Can you tell me which Apps in the Apple App Store are sending my data to FaceBook?

    Thx.


    P.S. I've never had a FaceBook account.

    P.S.S. I really don't want this guy to know when I'm ovulating?





    Sounds to me like the fault likes with the independent developers who decided to sell your data to FB. tho i hope Apple gives them a stern talking too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36
    I had a positive response after emailing Sir Jon Ives, I was complaining the the ECG feature on the Apple Watch Series 4 was not available outside of the USA. What has happened to the rest of the world? Received a call from the European Management Team. At least we have one Multi National company listens to it customers. Well done Apple. But please get the ECG rolled out for the rest of the World.🙈🙉🙊
    It’s been discussed - the fault lies not with Apple, but with your country’s regulatory bodies. Complain to your government and representatives.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 36
    My email to Tim Cook

    Tim Cook, CEO
    Apple Inc.
    1 Infinite Loop
    Cupertino, California
    CA 95014
    [email protected]


    Tim,


    The iMac serves at least 3 different markets:

    1- Consumers who want to spoil themselves with the affordable luxury of a better computer, although the iMac is more expensive than what competitors offer. For consumers, value for money equates visible features, e.g. a bigger and higher quality display, a bigger hard disk drive, a bigger solid state drive, more standard RAM, a wireless keyboard, a wireless mouse.

    Customization, a build to order iMac is an important selling point, making sure that consumers get a computer with all the features that they value: a bigger and higher quality display, a big hard disk drive for massive storage, the instant access of a solid state drive, plenty of RAM, a faster CPU, a faster and more powerful GPU for games.

    2- Professionals and corporations who claim the cost of iMacs on their income tax returns. Some corporations want a low cost iMac model to place on every desk at the office while other professionals and corporations won't mind paying for the features that they need: a bigger and higher quality display, a bigger hard disk drive for massive storage or the instant access of a solid state drive.

    Customization, a build to order iMac is an important selling point, making sure that professionals and corporations get computers with all the features that they value: a bigger and higher quality display, a big hard disk drive for massive storage, the instant access of a solid state drive, plenty of RAM, a faster CPU, a faster and more powerful GPU.

    3- University, College and Corporate research departments for whom computing power and overall quality for uninterrupted use over a long stretch of time are both important. Researchers need the latest and the most powerful desktop CPUs and desktop GPUs and they are willing to pay for them. Nothing low powered for researchers. A desktop computer is not a light and thin portable laptop.

    Again, customization, a build to order iMac is an important selling point, making sure that researchers get computers with all the features that they value: a choice of display sizes or a bigger and higher quality display, a big hard disk drive for massive storage, the instant access of a solid state drive, plenty of RAM, a faster CPU, a faster and more powerful GPU for research computing.


    In October 2009, Steve Jobs proudly introduced part of his legacy, the iMac 2009-2012 all-in-one desktop computer with an exceptional industrial design which leaves enough space behind the display to ensure proper heat dissipation, great acoustics and easy access to computer parts, as needed. The iMac 2009-2012 projected an overall image of quality and durability which proved accurate since iMac 2009-2012 computers are still functioning today, in some cases for more than 9 years of daily use. What more could you expect from Apple (or Steve Jobs)?

    The iMac 2009-2012 was a resounding success. Most companies won't abandon such a successful industrial design because they know that lightning doesn't strike twice, especially over a short period of time.

    To celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the innovative and highly successful industrial design of the iMac 2009-2012, it's time for Apple to return back to basics and for the function of internal components to dictate the form of the iMac all-in-one desktop computer. Thin and light are key features for portable computers, MacBooks, iPads and iPhones, but thinness is not welcomed in the iMac all-in-one desktop computer where Apple should emphasize powerful desktop components, a bigger and higher quality display, massive storage options, an exceptional sound quality from loudspeakers, not headphones, proper heat dissipation, quality, durability and easy access to computer parts, as needed.

    It's time for Apple to introduce a brand new iMac 2019 with the industrial design of the iMac 2009-2012, but with updated desktop components. No more nonsense, no anorexic iMac, no compromise iMac computer that doesn't meet the expectations of buyers: powerful desktop components, massive storage options, exceptional sound quality from loudspeakers, not headphones, proper heat dissipation and easy access to computer parts, as needed.

    The renewal cycle of iMacs will bring to market tens of millions of iMac 2009-2012 users who want to buy basically the same computer, but with newer and updated desktop components. Will Apple disappoint these eager buyers who enjoy their iMac 2009-2012 computers?


    Here's what I expect for the iMac 2019, besides the industrial design of the iMac 2009-2012:

    1 - Optional 8 to 14 TB Fusion drives with a 256 GB SSD.

    A 8 TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro SATA HDD, 7200 RPM, 6 Gb/s transfer rate, 256 MB cache, 3.5 inch internal hard drive for desktop computers has a retail price of $272.57 on Amazon, while the top of the line 14 TB model has a retail price of $576.29. The 10 TB model sells for $344.99 and the 12 TB model sells for $437.99.

    If these internal hard disk drives for desktop computers are available from Amazon, Seagate and Hitachi (HGT), I expect them to be available when buying a brand new iMac. It's both a question of meeting my needs and future proofing my purchase of a brand new iMac.

    There is no excuse for offering brand new iMacs with only 2 or 3 TB Fusion drives. Leave a low cost option with a 2 TB Fusion drive, but offer a standard 6 TB Fusion drive with a 256 GB SSD and optional increments of 8 TB to 14 TB Fusion drives with a 256 GB SSD. As Apple offers iPads and iPhones with a 256 GB SSD, it should be easy to standardize on 256 GB SSDs for Fusion drives in iMacs.

    2 - Exceptional sound quality comparable to the iMac 2009-2012, possibly due to the great acoustics of the industrial design of the iMac 2009-2012 and the quality of the loudspeakers. Needless to say, exceptional sound quality is a key feature for anyone who stores his digital music collection on an iMac and enjoys listening to music while performing other tasks on an iMac.

    3 - A next generation Intel Ice Lake 10 nm desktop CPU and a matching desktop GPU for the all-in-one desktop iMac, not the less powerful CPU and GPU alternatives used in portable computers. Computers with Thunderbolt 3, Wi-Fi 6 and Deep Learning Boost Ice Lake desktop CPUs will be on store shelves by the end of 2019.

    4 - A RAM access door to add memory modules after the iMac is bought.

    5 - Possibly a digital FM radio tuner to make it possible to listen to music, talk shows and local news while working on an iMac. Radio stations broadcast over the internet, but there is something to be said about not being tied to the internet which is not secure and in some areas not reliable and/or high speed.

    6 - Possibly a larger display, a 30, 32 or 35 inch display, just like Apple was the first computer builder to offer a standard 27 inch display in the iMac all-in-one desktop computer.

    7 - Possibly some connectors on the 1 inch wide right side of the display for easier occasional access to connectors, let's say 2 USB connectors and 1 or 2 Thunderbolt connectors.

    8 - Possibly a greater number of fans that could be adjusted to run at a slower and quieter speed with the possibility for users to set the fans to run all the time at 10% of their maximum speed, thereby providing a quiet but constant air flow. At present, there is a third party utility "TG Pro" with similar functionality, but it would be great if it were included in every iMac.


    As Apple engineers are working on the features to include in the next iMac, I hope that my email was helpful.

    An exceptional design for the right price will rekindle iMac sales.

  • Reply 28 of 36
    lkrupp said:
    I believe the Apple Watch & Apples similar health initiatives will help America & the whole world in general. Thats why I utterly hate that countries like India, Brazil, Pakistan, Bangladesh,Argentina & european countries put up tariffs as high as 50% on Apple products.
    I think the time is coming when companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google are going to have to decide whether they are American companies or not. There’s an article out there  now about a bunch of Microsoft employees around the world demanding the company end its contract with the U.S. Department of Defense. They say they don’t want to work on weapons for the U.S. military. It has to do with Microsoft’s HoloLens product being adapted for military use. So is Microsoft an American company or not? And if they don’t see themselves as American companies then why should they be protected by America’s government and laws? What if Microsoft had entered into a similar contract with Russia or China’s military? I despise globalization and the one world government some are clamoring for. 
    Who is, specifically? Because I’m pretty sure that’s a crankpot conspiracy theory.
    The Lizard People. Get with the program. 
  • Reply 29 of 36

    ouragan said:
    My email to Tim Cook

    Tim Cook, CEO
    Apple Inc.
    1 Infinite Loop
    Cupertino, California
    CA 95014
    [email protected]


    Tim,


    The iMac serves at least 3 different markets:

    1- Consumers who want to spoil themselves with the affordable luxury of a better computer, although the iMac is more expensive than what competitors offer. For consumers, value for money equates visible features, e.g. a bigger and higher quality display, a bigger hard disk drive, a bigger solid state drive, more standard RAM, a wireless keyboard, a wireless mouse.

    Customization, a build to order iMac is an important selling point, making sure that consumers get a computer with all the features that they value: a bigger and higher quality display, a big hard disk drive for massive storage, the instant access of a solid state drive, plenty of RAM, a faster CPU, a faster and more powerful GPU for games.

    2- Professionals and corporations who claim the cost of iMacs on their income tax returns. Some corporations want a low cost iMac model to place on every desk at the office while other professionals and corporations won't mind paying for the features that they need: a bigger and higher quality display, a bigger hard disk drive for massive storage or the instant access of a solid state drive.

    Customization, a build to order iMac is an important selling point, making sure that professionals and corporations get computers with all the features that they value: a bigger and higher quality display, a big hard disk drive for massive storage, the instant access of a solid state drive, plenty of RAM, a faster CPU, a faster and more powerful GPU.

    3- University, College and Corporate research departments for whom computing power and overall quality for uninterrupted use over a long stretch of time are both important. Researchers need the latest and the most powerful desktop CPUs and desktop GPUs and they are willing to pay for them. Nothing low powered for researchers. A desktop computer is not a light and thin portable laptop.

    Again, customization, a build to order iMac is an important selling point, making sure that researchers get computers with all the features that they value: a choice of display sizes or a bigger and higher quality display, a big hard disk drive for massive storage, the instant access of a solid state drive, plenty of RAM, a faster CPU, a faster and more powerful GPU for research computing.


    In October 2009, Steve Jobs proudly introduced part of his legacy, the iMac 2009-2012 all-in-one desktop computer with an exceptional industrial design which leaves enough space behind the display to ensure proper heat dissipation, great acoustics and easy access to computer parts, as needed. The iMac 2009-2012 projected an overall image of quality and durability which proved accurate since iMac 2009-2012 computers are still functioning today, in some cases for more than 9 years of daily use. What more could you expect from Apple (or Steve Jobs)?

    The iMac 2009-2012 was a resounding success. Most companies won't abandon such a successful industrial design because they know that lightning doesn't strike twice, especially over a short period of time.

    To celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the innovative and highly successful industrial design of the iMac 2009-2012, it's time for Apple to return back to basics and for the function of internal components to dictate the form of the iMac all-in-one desktop computer. Thin and light are key features for portable computers, MacBooks, iPads and iPhones, but thinness is not welcomed in the iMac all-in-one desktop computer where Apple should emphasize powerful desktop components, a bigger and higher quality display, massive storage options, an exceptional sound quality from loudspeakers, not headphones, proper heat dissipation, quality, durability and easy access to computer parts, as needed.

    It's time for Apple to introduce a brand new iMac 2019 with the industrial design of the iMac 2009-2012, but with updated desktop components. No more nonsense, no anorexic iMac, no compromise iMac computer that doesn't meet the expectations of buyers: powerful desktop components, massive storage options, exceptional sound quality from loudspeakers, not headphones, proper heat dissipation and easy access to computer parts, as needed.

    The renewal cycle of iMacs will bring to market tens of millions of iMac 2009-2012 users who want to buy basically the same computer, but with newer and updated desktop components. Will Apple disappoint these eager buyers who enjoy their iMac 2009-2012 computers?


    Here's what I expect for the iMac 2019, besides the industrial design of the iMac 2009-2012:

    1 - Optional 8 to 14 TB Fusion drives with a 256 GB SSD.

    A 8 TB Seagate BarraCuda Pro SATA HDD, 7200 RPM, 6 Gb/s transfer rate, 256 MB cache, 3.5 inch internal hard drive for desktop computers has a retail price of $272.57 on Amazon, while the top of the line 14 TB model has a retail price of $576.29. The 10 TB model sells for $344.99 and the 12 TB model sells for $437.99.

    If these internal hard disk drives for desktop computers are available from Amazon, Seagate and Hitachi (HGT), I expect them to be available when buying a brand new iMac. It's both a question of meeting my needs and future proofing my purchase of a brand new iMac.

    There is no excuse for offering brand new iMacs with only 2 or 3 TB Fusion drives. Leave a low cost option with a 2 TB Fusion drive, but offer a standard 6 TB Fusion drive with a 256 GB SSD and optional increments of 8 TB to 14 TB Fusion drives with a 256 GB SSD. As Apple offers iPads and iPhones with a 256 GB SSD, it should be easy to standardize on 256 GB SSDs for Fusion drives in iMacs.

    2 - Exceptional sound quality comparable to the iMac 2009-2012, possibly due to the great acoustics of the industrial design of the iMac 2009-2012 and the quality of the loudspeakers. Needless to say, exceptional sound quality is a key feature for anyone who stores his digital music collection on an iMac and enjoys listening to music while performing other tasks on an iMac.

    3 - A next generation Intel Ice Lake 10 nm desktop CPU and a matching desktop GPU for the all-in-one desktop iMac, not the less powerful CPU and GPU alternatives used in portable computers. Computers with Thunderbolt 3, Wi-Fi 6 and Deep Learning Boost Ice Lake desktop CPUs will be on store shelves by the end of 2019.

    4 - A RAM access door to add memory modules after the iMac is bought.

    5 - Possibly a digital FM radio tuner to make it possible to listen to music, talk shows and local news while working on an iMac. Radio stations broadcast over the internet, but there is something to be said about not being tied to the internet which is not secure and in some areas not reliable and/or high speed.

    6 - Possibly a larger display, a 30, 32 or 35 inch display, just like Apple was the first computer builder to offer a standard 27 inch display in the iMac all-in-one desktop computer.

    7 - Possibly some connectors on the 1 inch wide right side of the display for easier occasional access to connectors, let's say 2 USB connectors and 1 or 2 Thunderbolt connectors.

    8 - Possibly a greater number of fans that could be adjusted to run at a slower and quieter speed with the possibility for users to set the fans to run all the time at 10% of their maximum speed, thereby providing a quiet but constant air flow. At present, there is a third party utility "TG Pro" with similar functionality, but it would be great if it were included in every iMac.


    As Apple engineers are working on the features to include in the next iMac, I hope that my email was helpful.

    An exceptional design for the right price will rekindle iMac sales.

    That’s a Teal Deer of a letter right there. Whoever screens these would’ve tossed it just looking at length, or at the very least when they got to the FM tuner bit if they could even stay awake that long. 
    muthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Are we to eschew the regular feedback channels and go straight to the top?  I often submit feedback to Apple.com/feedback but it’s like a black hole.  No response, no action.
    edited February 25 stompy
  • Reply 31 of 36

    That’s a Teal Deer of a letter right there. Whoever screens these would’ve tossed it just looking at length, or at the very least when they got to the FM tuner bit if they could even stay awake that long. 

    Sometimes, when you want something done, you must ask for it and ask the right person.

    The iMac 2009-2012 all-in-one desktop computer is not for every Mac user, just the Mac users who want to buy a desktop computer. The iMac is not a portable computer, but what you loose in mobility you gain in power.

    And Apple makes only one desktop computer for consumers, the iMac. I published the content of my email to inspire likeminded iMac users.

    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 36
    fred1 said:
    I believe the Apple Watch & Apples similar health initiatives will help America & the whole world in general. Thats why I utterly hate that countries like India, Brazil, Pakistan, Bangladesh,Argentina & european countries put up tariffs as high as 50% on Apple products.
    Tariffs on Apple products by European countries? Then why is it cheaper for me to buy them in my European country than in the US if I declare them as a business expense and get the VAT back. Many people don’t understand  that in Europe, the sales tax is included in the price and can be as much as 24%.  
    What percentage of your country's population can actually do that to get a device "cheaper"?
  • Reply 33 of 36
    s.metcalf said:
    Are we to eschew the regular feedback channels and go straight to the top?  I often submit feedback to Apple.com/feedback but it’s like a black hole.  No response, no action.
    They'll contact you if they need more information. I submitted feedback on a Compressor daemon that would run on startup and trigger my dGPU on my (now dead) MBP, even though I hadn't set up network rendering or even launched Compressor in years. I got an email from a specialist in Pro Apps asking for more information, etc. That's not the first time either. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 36

    ouragan said:

    That’s a Teal Deer of a letter right there. Whoever screens these would’ve tossed it just looking at length, or at the very least when they got to the FM tuner bit if they could even stay awake that long. 

    Sometimes, when you want something done, you must ask for it and ask the right person.

    The iMac 2009-2012 all-in-one desktop computer is not for every Mac user, just the Mac users who want to buy a desktop computer. The iMac is not a portable computer, but what you loose in mobility you gain in power.

    And Apple makes only one desktop computer for consumers, the iMac. I published the content of my email to inspire likeminded iMac users.

    Yeah, I'm sure they scrapped their 2019 iMac plans and went back to a 7 year old design because of your rambling letter.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    ouraganouragan Posts: 424member

    Yeah, I'm sure they scrapped their 2019 iMac plans and went back to a 7 year old design because of your rambling letter.



    After 31 years of using a Mac computer, I now own Apple shares through my Technology mutual fund. Apple has a choice: make a cheap iMac model using a portable computer CPU and GPU as if the iMac was a MacBook on a pedestal with a large display or make a great desktop computer that will sell and meet the needs of buyers.

    Honoring Steve Jobs and his legacy is not a one day event to be held every year on the day of his birthday, but a continuing process of building computers with the exacting standards of Steve Jobs who rejected new computer models until they were "perfect", until they reached that balance of an exceptional design for the right price. The legacy of Steve Jobs is found in the slogan used by Zenith 50 years ago: "The quality goes in before the name goes on" the television set, which was the standard for American manufacturers in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, before globalization and delocalization of U.S. manufacturing plants.

    Steve Jobs created Apple in 1976 to build a better computer, "the best computer that money can buy", not just any computer that would sell for an inflated price because of its "good looks".

    I am asking Tim Cook to return back to the roots of Apple to create its future. Tim Cook met with Steve Jobs on a daily basis and he experienced first hand the process of rejecting computer models until they reached that perfection of an exceptional design for the right price. I am asking Tim Cook to honor the legacy of Steve Jobs by adopting his exacting standards. Had these standards prevailed when the iMac 2014 was first introduced, I have no doubt that it would have been rejected on the basis that change for change is not good. What is needed is change to improve upon the previous model.


    The iMac 2014 has so many flaws that I wouldn't want to make an exhaustive list. Suffice to say that the initial design decision to make a thin display at the edges is the source of its problems: it doesn't evacuate heat properly so that it is restricted to using mobile computer parts and a small hard disk drive, it doesn't have a great sound quality because of the lack of space behind the display and/or the loudspeakers used, and it is next to impossible to repair because of the lack of space behind the display.

    The October 2019 iMac plans will change until the iMac is on the assembly lines in China. To get change, one must contact Tim Cook early enough in the planning process for Tim Cook to make changes to the iMac plans "to improve upon the previous model" before it is finally approved for manufacturing.

    Let me be clear: It is Tim Cook's responsibility to get the October 2019 iMac right and he is being paid handsomely for his role in the final approval of everything Apple designs. I am sure that I was not the only shareholder and/or computer user to contact Tim Cook for the purpose of improving the current iMac design. It is my hope that my email strengthened Tim Cook's resolve to get the October 2019 iMac right.



    edited March 1
  • Reply 36 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 2,838member
    ouragan said:
    Honoring Steve Jobs and his legacy is not a one day event to be held every year on the day of his birthday, but a continuing process of building computers with the exacting standards of Steve Jobs who rejected new computer models until they were "perfect", until they reached that balance of an exceptional design for the right price.
    More Steve Jobs fanfic. Remember the Cube G4? Jobs made all kinds of mistakes.

     It is my hope that my email strengthened Tim Cook's resolve to get the October 2019 iMac right.

    Yeah, probably not.
Sign In or Register to comment.