Cook promises shareholders Apple is 'planting seeds' and 'rolling the dice' on future prod...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    On ANOTHER topic mentioned, anybody have any ideas about what Federighi might be referring to regarding the USB-C port on the Pro?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 92
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Cook's leadership in new innovative products is questionable. His relationship with Jobs worked because Jobs was the visionary and Cook did the logistics.
    I have little faith in his leadership of a corporate vision, especially after the hype he built behind the "Hello Again" keynote only to introduce a silly Touch Bar keyboard.

Expectations are low...
    Do you likewise complain about Samsung, Amazon, and basically every single CEO? Jobs was unique in that he was a product manager, probably more so than an actual CEO, as he didnt do much the typical CEO job description and left that to Cook and others. CEOs are rarely "product visionaries". There's absolutely nothing troubling, concerning, yada yada about Cook being a normal CEO. He happens to be one of the greatest ones in modern history.
    edited March 2019 macxpressrainmakerericthehalfbeedelreyjonesradarthekatcornchip80s_Apple_GuyAppleExposedbestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 92
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member

entropys said:
    Great Tim, where is my next iMac?
    Wait, I thought the chief whine was "Yeah but where's the new Mac mini!" lol...folks will just keep rotating it based on what's not out yet
    edited March 2019 macxpressdelreyjonesradarthekatcornchipfastasleepPickUrPoisonwatto_cobrabakedbananas
  • Reply 24 of 92
    If Apple can be the one to deliver the hover car we have all been dreaming of all our lives I will be impressed.
    cornchip
  • Reply 25 of 92
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,661member

entropys said:
    Wait, I thought the chief whine was "Yeah but where's the new Mac mini!" lol...folks will just keep rotating it based on what's not out yet
    Whine? Whine!

People had to wait years for it. If there is one thing it wasn't, it was whining.

People were asking entirely justifiable questions about an update.

entropysmuthuk_vanalingamdecoderringasdasdcaladanianbigpicscgWerks80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 26 of 92
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    I’d like to see the AR that Cook is so excited about.

People paid up for the hardware in X,XR,XS... now it’s past time to see what AR is good for. 

Everything else is evolutionary, rather than revolutionary...
  • Reply 27 of 92
    cornchip said:
    personally I wouldn't have used the phrase "rolling the dice", but then again I don't run Apple.
    I wonder if it is Dungeons & Dragons dice he is rolling.
    neil andersoncanukstormcornchip
  • Reply 28 of 92
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member

entropys said:
    It’s 634 days since the last iMac update. I ain’t whinin’, I’m bitchin’.
    rainmakeranantksundaramavon b7muthuk_vanalingamdecoderringasdasdbigpicscgWerks80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 29 of 92
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Mind blowing? What about an AI Codingbot? So, everyone can code without writing a line in SWIFT? Is it what Swift 5.0 going to do?
    bakedbananas
  • Reply 30 of 92
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Investors care about their dividends - not about innovation. That is how Microsoft operates with its coninuous less than controlled changes to interfaces and products in order to impress market with "change" and generate revenue. Did it pay off? They would care about innovation if there was no dividends but share value grrowth only and that is how Jobs understood this.
    Many expect Q2 and maybe Q3 to be down this year.   so Cook probably has a year to turn things around - especially in China.   because if not then big, institutional investors could get mad at the board.
    ouragan
  • Reply 31 of 92

entropys said:
    True, and yet the iMac was one of the first products released when Steve Jobs returned to Apple. The product that put them on the path to profitability after Apples dark days. To go as long as it has without an update is uncharacteristic of the iconic product.
    muthuk_vanalingamdecoderringcaladanianbigpicsn2itivguy
  • Reply 32 of 92
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    „even the Watch is limited by iPhone ownership“. I understand. Only 728 million* to sell. What a pity ;) 

*https://www.statista.com/statistics/755625/iphones-in-use-in-us-china-and-rest-of-the-world/
    And once again they are making all the profits in yet another industry. Poor Apple

AppleExposedradarthekatbakedbananas
  • Reply 33 of 92
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member

entropys said:
    If Apple updated its computer product regularly, as they have done in the past and how every other manufacturer still does, then .....
    decoderringcaladanian
  • Reply 34 of 92
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:

entropys said:
    Whine? Whine!

People had to wait years for it. If there is one thing it wasn't, it was whining.

You're whining about a product you're not going to buy. I know it.
    bakedbananas
  • Reply 35 of 92
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    entropys said:

entropys said:
    It’s 634 days since the last iMac update. I ain’t whinin’, I’m bitchin’.
    What else do you do, ever?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 36 of 92
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rainmaker said:

tmopheavy
    entropys said:
    True, and yet the iMac was one of the first products released when Steve Jobs returned to Apple. The product that put them on the path to profitability after Apples dark days. To go as long as it has without an update is uncharacteristic of the iconic product.
    You might have noticed that lately they don’t so much update as redesign. For Apple, that’s an expensive proposition, especially in engineering resources, because details matter so much to this company. Other companies not so much. 

You’re free to judge Apple as sluggish and plodding in their methodology, but they’re not making PCs in a conventional Asian beehive of engineering and production turnaround. And that’s the way it should be for an American post-industrial design company that aims its products at the art-as-technology market. Or is it technology as art?
    radarthekatbakedbananas
  • Reply 37 of 92
    Apple is the only tech brand that can be trusted, quietly waiting to be surprised...
    delreyjonescaladanianbakedbananas
  • Reply 38 of 92
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,661member
    avon b7 said:

entropys said:
    Whine? Whine!

You're whining about a product you're not going to buy. I know it.
    You can't possibly know it and you also avoid tackling the point.

Years waiting for a Mini update and over those years, not a single price adjustment.

Years waiting for a Mac Pro update and over those years, not a single price adjustment.

One Christmas they sold the same iMacs as the year before, not even a minor spec upgrade or price adjustment. Zippo.

It's not whining, it's people getting frustrated and angry.
    edited March 2019 muthuk_vanalingamcaladanian80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 39 of 92
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    „even the Watch is limited by iPhone ownership“. I understand. Only 728 million* to sell. What a pity ;) 

*https://www.statista.com/statistics/755625/iphones-in-use-in-us-china-and-rest-of-the-world/

Apple reported 900 million in use but I guess some people could own 2?
    Four in my 'at-home' family (mom, dad, two kids). Two more in out-of-state universities, but still dependents. I bought 'em all so I guess you could say I have six iPhones. And watches. And laptops. Damn, it's a good thing Apple started paying dividends on their stock I started buying in 1981 (although I just reinvest). BTW, those early shares have split 2:1 three times and 7:1 once.  😜
    bakedbananas
  • Reply 40 of 92
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Better keyboards, lower prices and battery life and airflow/power over thinness-at-all-costs. We need less “innovation” and much better real-world practically and purchase value. Thinness, unreliabile keyboards and needing dongles for many things is not innovation that helps me, the user. Not some future hypotheticals, but what we know for sure we need right now. Reliability, comfort, ports, power and battery life. The Mac notebook lineup is a mature lineup of computers which gets worse with every “innovative” effort. Not one Mac I want to buy now. The only Mac that appeals to me in some capacity is a refurbished last-gen MBA. Apple may eventually sell a car, or whatever, but right now their computers are overpriced, not reliable enough, unsatisfying and require too many dongles. We can no longer even tell if our computer is charging without opening the lid. Innovation!!
    edited March 2019 avon b7anantksundarambigpicscgWerks80s_Apple_Guy